230. Guest
231. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,837

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank..
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:05 pm Post subject: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

Are  there  any  guides  on  design  and  building  of  your  own  tanks.
 i.e.  this  is  how  you  calculate  the  number  of  Ltrs.
 This  is  how  you  pick  the  gauge  of  your  glass.
 After  X  size  you  need  a  frame  and  silicone  will  not  hold  ?

Design  ideas  for  popular  sizes.
 Weird  and  fancy  looking  designs  ?

Id  like  to  build  two  tanks.
 one  is  just  a  large  tank  to  fill  a  double  window.

The  other  is  for  the  corner  of  the  room.  So  it  will  be  Triangle  shaped  by  the  view  side  will  be  curved.

So  how  can  I  curve  a  sheet  of  glass  say  6  Ft  in  Length  ?
 Can  we  buy  curved  glass  ?
 Can  we  mix  glass  and  acrelic  ?

Can  we  build  a  Cylinder  shaped  tank  ?  
 Where  would  we  get  the  glass  for  such  a  job  ?
 Guess  I  need  to  make  it  to  one  of  the  Bangalore  meets  and  quiz  the  Guru's

Ive  spent  10  days  straight  reading  as  much  as  I  can  on  the  net.
 Am  going  to  take  a  break  now  and  get  some  work  done  lol
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:33 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

Hey  Chinoy,

Here  is  a  basic  pictorial  guide,  which  actually  doesnt  answer  many  of  your  questions,  but  is  an  apt  read  at  this  moment.  The  experts  should  soon  be  on  to  help  you  out  on  the  specfic  doubts...

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=26
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:28 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

You  need  to  get  the  glass  bent,  you  dont  get  curved  glass  -   You  need  professionals  and  its  a  very  expensive  process.

You  cannot  mix  Glass  and  acrylic  as  the  adhesive  properties  of  them  are  different  towards  silicone.

volume  in  liters  =  L*B*H  /1000  The  distances  are  in  cm.
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:10 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  link.
 Im  shocked  that  they  could  build  a  6Ft  tank  without  a  frame.

Im  thinking  of  using  a  Polished  Ali  metal  strips.  Tig  welded.
 It  will  be  polished  to  a  mirror  finish  and  will  have  two  bands  one  at  the  top  and  one  at  the  bottom.

Wow  6Ft  and  no  frame  ?  I  cant  get  over  it.
 How  large  do  they  go  with  just  silicone  sealant  

Whats  the  best  sealant  to  use.
 Ive  had  good  luck  with  GE  Stuff.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

I  build  all  my  tanks  myself,  except  the  last  one  where  I  had  some  physical  help.

The  max  I  have  gone  to  is  6  feet  with  glass  and  silicon  and  no  bracing  whatsoever.  
 I  made  a  larger  8  feet  one  with  Marine  Plywood,  but  that's  another  story.

Get  yourself  Dow  Corning  RTV  weatherproof  seal.

For  my  last  tank  I  used  Dow  Corning  SR  995  black  silicon.

Check  the  DIY  section  here  for  more  details
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:29 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

Ive  spent  the  last  3  hours  going  over  the  diy  section  and  posts.
 Sadly  there  is  no  one  place  with  simple  info  like.

1.  Vendors  for  Glass  i.e.  Modi  /  Gorbain  etc
 2.  Info  on  thickness  of  glass  vs  size.  For  my  5  to  6  footer  Im  planing  on  going  with  8mm
 3.  No  info  or  idea  on  prices.  Or  how  to  cut  down  on  cost.  i.e.  a  simple  table  with  Glass  /  Thickness  /  Quality   Make  and  Price  would  be  a  big  help.

Ok  your  link  really  helped
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=26
 Thanks  a  TON  man   Clapping   Cheer   :cheer:

Just  one  small  request  if  you  could  add  a  rough  guide  on  prices.
 Im  a  firm  believer  in  first  you  budget.  Then  you  see  what  fits  in  your  budget.
 I  know  prices  change  from  time  to  time.  But  at  least  some  idea.  i.e.  for  3ft  by  2ft  in  6mm  I  paid  Rs  120/-
 Also  if  you  could  speak  to  a  few  shops  for  Club  discounts  it  would  be  nice.

Last edited by Chinoy on Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:39 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

Check  this  thread  for  glass  sizes

There  was  a  glass  thickness  calculator  on  the  web  but  that  site  seems  to  be  down.  Don't  use  anything  less  than  12  mm  for  your  6  footer.

Order  plain  "float  glass",  insist  on   "Polish  grinding"  of  the  edges.  Any  make  is  good  enough.

Check  with  Balaji  Glass  and  Plywood  on  Infantry  Road  for  the  glass.  12mm  is  85  bucks  a  sq.ft  when  I  last  checked.  Polishing  Rs.  12  per  running  foot.
 Insist  on  "Polish  grinding",  never  hand  grinding.

If  you  want  laser  cut  glass,  contact  "harshal"  he  knows  a  place  in  Peenya  where  this  is  done.

DIY  is  cutting  down  a  lot  of  cost,  mainly  the  labor  charge  for  the  skill  to  paste  glass,  Glass,  silicon  etc.,  cost  does  not  vary  much.

I  did  not  understand  the  reference  to  the  "table"  in  your  earlier  post.

You  can  get  a  stand  built  for  the  aquarium  with  any  welding  shop.
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

Thanks  Madan  you  rock  man.
 Your  my  official  Fish  Guru  Now.     :clap:

I  found  your  table  for  picking  thickness  of  glass  its  a  little  confusing  but  you  cleared  up  my  doubt.
 Looks  like  my  final  size  will  be  5Ft  (Leave  some  space  to  access  the  tank  from  the  sides).  X  2  Ft  x  1.5  Ft.

Now  to  find  the  money  and  time.  Without  the  wife  objecting.
 Our  club  meets  up  post  lunch  every  Sunday  at  my  place  so  no  shortage  of  free  labour  lol.
 You  guys  should  drop  in  too.
 Ph:  9980098647
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:53 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

All  IAHians  in  Bangalore  will  never  land  up  at  anyone's  home  Post  Lunch,  especially  on  a  Sunday.  Chuckle  

You'll  need  to  feed  a  big  bunch  of  very  heavy  eaters,  who  are  highly  critical  about  food,  if  you  invite  them  home  on  a  Sunday.  Chuckle  

I  have  warned  you  right  at  the  beginning,  check  out  a  few  other  threads  on  IAH  or  you  will  be  caught  completely  unawares.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:37 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                
All  IAHians  in  Bangalore  will  never  land  up  at  anyone's  home  Post  Lunch,  especially  on  a  Sunday.  Chuckle  

You'll  need  to  feed  a  big  bunch  of  very  heavy  eaters,  who  are  highly  critical  about  food,  if  you  invite  them  home  on  a  Sunday.  Chuckle  

I  have  warned  you  right  at  the  beginning,  check  out  a  few  other  threads  on  IAH  or  you  will  be  caught  completely  unawares.                

This  is  so  true.  We   are  always  there  to  help  with  the  beer  and  Biryani.  Drinking  

It  is  a  very  expensive  hobby.  Especially  for  Bangaloreans.

And  anyhow  what  is  post  lunch  Confused
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:38 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                

This  is  so  true.  We   are  always  there  to  help  with  the  beer  and  Biryani.  Drinking  

It  is  a  very  expensive  hobby.  Especially  for  Bangaloreans.

And  anyhow  what  is  post  lunch  Confused                

That  is  true.  That  is  true  Agree   Agree   Agree   Drool
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

Post  lunch  is  normally  3pm.
 We  check  out  each  others  cars  /  bikes.   
 For  Example  today  Mohit  scared  the  shit  outa  Jatin  with  a  spin  in  the  Baleno  I  built  for  him.
 None  of  us  drink.  Or  at  least  not  in  front  of  me.  If  you  drink  you  dont  get  a  fast  motor  from  me.  
 Pradeep  bought  his  camera  and  tripod  to  take  some  pics  of  the  fish.
 So  I  gave  him  a  ride  on  my  RD  monster  which  hasn't  been  fired  up  for  months.  That  got  his  hands  and  legs   trembling.
 (We  do  drink  but  only  on  BBQ  night.  We  have  a  club  grill  we  fire  up.  And  its  BYOB.  Bring  your  own  beer.)

We  then  hit  the  glass  shop  and  placed  an  order  for  the  Glass.
 It  will  be  delivered  tomorrow.  Rough  dims  are  5.5  Ft  (The  width  of  my  window  on  the  balcony).  Height  3  ft,  width  1.5  Ft.  The  width  is  less  due  to  the  size  of  the  balcony  and  the  door  wont  close  if  its  larger.
 I  have  full  permission  of  big  boss  to  do  what  I  want  as  long  as  its  outside  the  house.  i.e.  Balcony  or  the  3  penthouse  rooms  on  the  terrace.
 No  tanks  allowed  in  the  house.

There  was  some  confusion  about  the  Grinding.  They  told  me  they  could  either  Machine  Polish  the  edges  or  they  could  Rough  it  up  so  that  silicone  would  stick.  If  it  was  polished  silicone  would  not  stick  well.  
 In  the  end.  I  told  them  ok  do  the  machine  polish.  12  Bucks  per  runing  sq/ft  as  Madan  pointed  out.  Then  if  required  we  will  rough  up  one  edge  latter.  I  have  to  let  them  know  by  the  morning.

Im  still  not  sure  if  I  should  drill  any  holes  or  maybe  create  some  steps  for  a  hang  off  the  back  filter.  
 Im  hoping  one  of  you  guys  would  advise  me  on  this.  i.e.  get  the  holes  drilled  or  not.  And  if  so  where  /  what  sizes.
 My  Trip  to  CBE  has  been  put  off  cause  Boss  is  in  Europe  till  the  14th.  So  I  thought  might  as  well  get  the  tank  built.  ASAP.

Next  is  to  figure  out  some  trick  lighting.  Maybe  multi  color  Leds.  But  will  read  a  few  posts  on  the  subject  before  posting  anything.

Here  ya  go  found  this  one
 http://www.aqua-fish.net/index.php?cur_lang=2&count=no&secured=&section=51
mandragoran
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:09 am Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

Ron,

On  Sundays,  lunch  never  ends....esp  if  there's  beer  involved.  And  I  am  sure  that  us  Madras  boys  can  keep  up  with  the  Bangaloreans  at  the  very  least,  in  this  regard.  :-D  Lunch  (esp  that  involving  beer,  bbq  and  bacon)  is  an  all  day  affair.  I  shall  fly  (or  float)  the  Madras  flag,  along  with  those  of  my  fellow  Madrasis  who  would  like  to.  Venket,  Beta,  PK,  Prem-  you  there?  ;-)

High-tech  planted  tanks  or  fully  modded  RDs,  the  concept  of  such  a  lunch  remains  the  same.  Maybe  it's  just  me.   Drinking  

Regarding  your  tank  dimensions,  allow  me  to  give  you  my  two  cents'  worth,  even  considering  your  constraints.  I  have  a  5X2X2  ADA  tank.  2  feet  depth  is  fantastic  for  aquascaping,  allows  you  to  do  more.  2  feet  height  is  more  problematic,  since  you  need  to  have  more  intense  lighting  IF  you  intend  to  grow  a  nice  HC  carpet,for  example  (something  I  fantasise  about  daily-  yes,  I'm  a  sad,  sad  man).  This  could  mean  T5,  T5HO,  or  MH,  depending  on  your  location,  budget  or  inclination.

Now,  if  you're  looking  at  length,  I  would  suggest  either  a  4  foot  or  6  foot  tank.  Either  of  these  lengths  would  make  it  easier  for  you  if  you  decide  to  go  for  a  readymade  hood  /  lighting  canopy.  These  are  mostly  readily  available  for  4-feet  and  6-feet  lengths.  From  personal  experience,  I  have  found  readymade  hoods  for  5-foot  tanks  more  hard  to  come  by.  Of  course,  if  you  plan  on  DIYing  it  anyway,  this  is  not  a  concern.  OTW,  consider  yourself  warned.   Smile
ilango_slk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:24 am Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

3ft  High????   I  see  red  there  !!!
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:06 pm Post subject: Re: Some stupid Newbie questions on building your own tank.. Reply with quote

Thanks  guys  well.  Since  cars  and  bikes  are  involved  we  need  to  keep  moving.  Lucky  for  me  the  Ring  road  is  a  stones  throw  from  my  place.  So  most  of  the  testing  is  done  there  between  the  lights  we  get  to  hit  150-160  in  3rd.  You  chenai  guys  are  luck  as  in  you  can  drive  down  to  the  track  and  use  it  when  you  like  same  goes  for  the  CBE  boys.

Then  there  is  always  some  wrenching  going  on.

Well  my  concept  for  this  tank  is  pretty  clear.  You  look  out  of  the  double  bay  window  in  the  hall  and  all  you  see  is  water  and  fish.
 So  my  hands  are  tied  on  both  the  height  and  the  length.  In  fact  Ive  just  reduced  the  height  to  2.5  Ft.  Its  a  compromise  but  I  cant  see  my  self  cleaning  and  maintaining  a  3ft  height  tank.

Making  a  cover  shouldn't  be  hard.  I  work  with  sheet  metal  a  lot.  Either  fabbing  stuff  or  building  chambers  /  Exhaust  systems  with  up  to  13  section  for  one  bend  with  changes  in  taper  and  bend.  We  have  fancy  s/w  to  design  pretty  much  anything  in  3D  and  then  print  it  out  for  sheet  cutting.  The  same  s/w  is  used  for  design  of  roofs  /  ducting  etc.

Im  still  in  quandary  over  the  holes.  To  drill  or  not  to  drill.
 Need  to  make  a  call  in  the  next  few  hours.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: