147. Guest
148. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Zebrafish fry on spiruline
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Zebrafish fry on spiruline

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Breeding & Fry Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danios
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:42 am Post subject: Zebrafish fry on spiruline Reply with quote

My  zebrafish  have  been  spawning  and  I  had  literally  hundreds  tiny  of  zebrafish  fry  now  once  I  removed  all  the  adults  from  my  85  gallon  cement  tank.   Was  wondering  what  to  feed  such  a  large  number  of  fry  when  I  remembered  that  I  have  spiruline  powder.   I  dropped  a  wee  bit  of  spiruline  in  my  tank  and  was  wondering  whether  the  fry  would  like  to  feed  on  them.   MIGHTY  SURPRISED  to  note  that  once  the  fry  had  a  taste  of  spirulina  powder  there  was  no  turning  back.   Its  now  just  three  weeks  since  spawning  and  the  fry  are  almost  three  fourth  of  an  inch  length  and  are  growing  in  leaps  and  bounds  after  I  started  feeding  spirulina.   

And  the  spiruline  powder  is  very  cheap  and  I  think  I  have  a  pure  a  natural  feed  in  spirulina  powder  to  feed  the  fish  fry.   They  dont  contaminate  the  tank  or  smell  bad.   So  I  donot  have  to  worry  about  the  quality  of  water  either.   The  fry  seem  to  be  happy  in  the  sense  they  are  growing  very  rapidly  and  active.   

So  for  the  best  fry  food  spirulina  powder  is  the  best  (at  least  for  those  fish  which  are  omnivorous.

Here  are  a  wee  bit  details  about  the  nutrition  quality  of  spirulina

Spirulina  is  a  powerful  Super  Food.   Spirulina  is  approximately  65  to  71  percent  protein,  depending  on  growing  conditions.  These  proteins  are  biologically  complete,  which  means  they  provide  all  eight  essential  amino  acids  in  the  proper  ratios.   Spirulina  provides  all  the  required  amino  acids,  and  in  a  form  that  is  five  times  easier  to  digest  than  meat  or  soy  protein.  

Spiruline  has  a  minimum  of  

Protein                                          -                    65%
 Carbohydrates                           -                    10%
 Minerals                                         -                       3%
 Fat                                                   -                        7%
 Fibre                                                -                       4%

The  5  ppt  carotenoid  pigments  that  are  concentrated  in  Spirulina  algae  improve  and  intensify  the  coloration  in  fish.   Chlorophyll  and  phycocyanin  also  enhance  the  skin  colors.  This  depends  to  a  large  degree,  upon  the  pigments  that  they  get  from  their  food.  The  most  important  pigments  are  of  a  class  called  carotenoids.  These  include  beta-carotene  and  xanthophylls.  Fish  species  vary  greatly  in  terms  of  the  type  of  carotenoid  pigments  they  can  use,  and  how  they  individually  exhibit  these  coloring  agents  in  their  skin.  

Spirulina  is  the  natural  food  highest  in  carotenoid  pigments,  some  20  times  the  amount  found  in  carrots.  Spirulina  contains  at  least  six  forms  of  this  pigment  providing  a  "rainbow"  of  color  possibilities.  When  feeding  your  fish  a  food  containing  Spirulina,  you  will  see  better  colorations  within  a  few  weeks.  Spirulina  is  a  rich  source  of  A  and  B  vitamins,  especially  B-12,  and  naturally  chelated  and  bio-available  calcium  and  iron.

When  fish  are  fed  spirulina  at  the  recommended  0.5-4.0%  inclusion  rate,  there  is  an  increase  in  fat  transporting  enzymes  which  results  in  reduced  fat  storage  in  flesh,  nutrient  utilization  and  improved  utilization  of  fat  for  growth

So  my  friends,  I  would  gladly  recommend  spirulina  for  fish  fry,  and  it  gives  the  jump  start  the  fish  fry  needs  during  the  early  stages  of  growth.   ABOVE  ALL,  SPIRULINA  DOES  NOT  POLLUTE  YOUR  BEAUTIFUL  TANK.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Breeding & Fry Care All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: