182. Guest
183. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - What do you do when fish outgrow your tank?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

What do you do when fish outgrow your tank?
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Given a choice, what would you rather do to your overgrown fish that you cannot keep any more?
Eat it
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
Release it into the wild
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Kill it "humanely" and dispose it in trash
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Keep trying to find another hobbyist who can take care of them
79%
 79%  [ 39 ]
Sell it on e-bay to the highest bidder
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 49

deejay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:20 am Post subject: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

Now  this  is  a  dilemma  i  have  been  facing  for  quite  sometime.  My  red  belly  pacus  have  grown  rapidly  over  the  last  few  months  and  one  of  them  has  almost  reached  15  inches  in  size.  To  hold  them  in  a  tank  as  small  as  mine  (2.5  feet  approx  100  liters)  would  be  sheer  cruelty  and  cause  stunting.   

So  what  does  one  do  when  their  fish  become  bigger  than  their  tank?  I  have  been  researching  on  this  subject  and  have  come  across  some  pretty  interesting  options,  ranging  from  practical  to  completely  absurd  !!!  

Here's  what  i  have  found  so  far  (please  feel  free  to  add  to  the  list  if  you  can  think  of  something  else):

[1]  Upgrade  to  6'  tank:  Lack  of  space  in  bedroom.  Only  space  available  is  in  my  terrace  where  they  will  have  lots  of  crows  and  pigeons  for  company.

[2]  Giveaway  to  LFS  -  Tried  this  and  they  wont  take  it  back.  Reason  cited:  "We  are  here  to  sell  fish  and  not  to  buy  from  you"

[3]  Giveaway  to  fellow  hobbyist  -  Posted  ad  on  IAH.  Zero  responses  till  now.

[4]  Giveaway  to  community  aquariums  in  Irla  or  Taraporevala:  They  don't  accept  fish  from  hobbyists  and  certainly  not  amateurs  like  me   Rock On   

[5]  Kill  them  and  cook  them  -  An  absolutely  inhuman  thing  to  do  to  your  own  pet.  However,  i  looked  this  option  up  as  well  and  experts  have  warned  that  eating  aquarium  fish  can  cause  nervous  disorders  because  of  the  chemicals  we  use  to  treat  the  water/fish   Surprised   

[6]  Kill  them  humanely  by  putting  them  inside  a  freezer.  The  drop  in  temperature  will  allow  them  to  painlessly  stop  breathing  as  their  gills  become  frozen.  Mom  wont  allow  "live"stock  inside  the  freezer.   Chuckle  

[7]  Immerse  them  in  alcohol  (yes  Vodka!!)  to  tranquilize  them  to  death.  Spirit  acts  as  a  natural  anesthetic.  Don't  want  to  waste  a  perfectly  good  bottle  of  Smirnoff.  

[8]  Cut  their  head  off  with  a  single  chop  of  the  blade  -  Cited  by  hobbyists  as  one  of  the  most  humane  ways  of  killing  a  fish  with  least  amount  of  pain  or  suffering.  I  am  neither  a  chef  nor  a  serial  murderer  and  am  not  too  sure  whether  i  can  operate  a  chopper  with  such  precision  to  ensure  i  can  dismantle  the  head  of  a  15"  Pacu  that  will  be  wildly  flapping  around  once  its  out  of  the  water.

[9]  Release  them  into  the  wild:  I  hear  this  is  the  worst  option  of  the  lot  as  it  can  introduce  several  diseases  into  the  natural  ecosystem  and  even  endanger  local  species.  Pacus  are  pretty  fierce  and  competitive;  they  might  just  push  local  species  to  extinction.  Although  that's  far  fetched,  its  still  a  possibility.  In  a  majority  of  cases  i  hear  that  aquarium  bred  fish  cannot  survive  in  the  wild  and  die  very  quickly.  Especially  considering  the  amount  of  mercury  and  plastic  in  our  local  ponds  and  rivers,  i  can  imagine  that  my  Pacus  will  float  right  back  on  the  surface  minutes  after  they  have  been  released.     

[10]  Feed  them  to  crows:  They  will  need  to  be  dead  first  before  i  can  pass  them  along  the  food  chain.  I  don't  have  the  heart  to  kill  them  myself.

[11]  Embalm  them  in  Glycerin  and  hang  them  on  the  wall  -  They  will  need  to  be  dead  first  before  i  can  use  them  as  wall  hangings.  I  don't  have  the  heart  to  kill  them  myself.  The  plaque  below  must  read  RIP:  Died  due  to  natural  causes.  

[12]  Stop  feeding  them.  Tried  fasting  them  for  two  days  but  their  persistent  banging  on  the  glass  hood  made  me  change  my  mind.

[13]  Stop  filter  and  aerator  and  watch  them  waste  away  due  to  rapid  breathing   Shocked   No  freaking  way!!  INHUMAN.

See  video  here:

Link

Pics  and  more  details  on  following  thread:

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12732

Last edited by deejay on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
swapnils
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:36 am Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

Next  time  buy  fish  considering  the  full  grown  size.  I  do  that  and  have  never  faced  such  problem  Smile
shishirkamat
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:26 am Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

Hi,
 Try  giving  them  to  Hotels  who  keep  Aquarums,they  usually  buy  full  grown  fishes,
 Regards
 Shishir  Kamat
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:24 am Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

this  is  the  usual  way  the  pacu  goes  about  in  this  hobby  
 they  grow  very  fast  and  grow  big  
 its  a  little  good  on  your  part,  i  say  little  good  becauseyou  should  have  researched  earlier,  but  i  say  good  as  now  you  are  trying  what  is  possible  in  your  hands  to  relocate  the  fish  to  a  nice  place  

the  fish  might  already  be  stunted  it  being  in  a  25g  tank,  a  15"  pacu  will  surely  be  8-10"  tall  

where  do  you  live  
 i  have  a  1000g  pond  for  my  RTCs  and  TSNs  in  mysore  
 this  pond  will  be  upgraded  when  necessary,  this  is  off  topic

so  back  on  topic,  i  am  ready  to  take  the  fish  as  a  rescue,   

i  have  always  tried  to  upgrade  to  keep  my  fish  as  they  grow,  cause  i  wouldn't  want  to  give  them  away  to  any  body  nor  i  usually  like  to  sell(sometimes  can't  help)

PS:  i  will  not  be  paying  anything  for  it  though  :D

heres  my  number  :xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by headbanger_jib on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
sid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:41 am Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

hey  Deejay

downsize  your  list  of  terms  and  conditions  for  giving  away  the  fish  and  you'll  probably  have  a  better  chance  of  someone  accepting  them  for  free.  i  know  you  care  about  your  fish  but  not  everyone  in  Bombay  has  a  pond  and  space  for  big  tanks.  Additionally,  no  LFS  is  going  to  buy  fish  that  are  cheap  and  plentiful  from  a  hobbyist,  that's  for  sure.  take  the  Pacu's  to  Nitish  patel,  Affable  fisheries  in  Vile  Parle  west  near  Mithibai  college,  he's  got  huge  tanks  and  will  definitely  accept  them.  Don't  call  and  ask,  just  take  them.  

Regards  Sid.
johnny
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:27 am Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

swapnils  wrote  (View  Post):                
Next  time  buy  fish  considering  the  full  grown  size.  I  do  that  and  have  never  faced  such  problem  Smile                

Totally  agree.  Now  with  all  the  internet  access,  I  do  a  thorough  research  on  any  fish  that  fancies  me  to  see  if  I  can  provide  well  for  it  till  it  reaches  its  natural  adult  death,  before  I  decide  to  buy  it.  Really  sad  to  see  large  fishes  in  cramped  tanks.  
 Had  this  conversation  with  one  of  my  nephews  recently  (he  is  in  high  school),  who  had  three  4-inch  sharks  in  1ft  tank.
 me:  Hey,  that  tank  is  too  small  for  those  fishes.  You  should  keep  fish  in  tanks  that  are  really  large  for  their  adult  size.
 him:  Oh,  thats  not  a  problem.  The  fish  would  die  before  they  get  any  bigger
 me:   Shocked   Surprised  

Education  starts  at  home,  and  I  did  what  I  can.
angad
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:57 am Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

the  simplest  thing:  I  never  buy  a  fish  that's  going  to  outgrow  my  tank!!  Very Happy
deejay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:08 pm Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

Thanks  Swapnil.  That's  a  good  point.  I  made  a  big  mistake  by  buying  these  fish  purely  out  of  sympathy.  They  were  crammed  into  a  tank  where  they  couldn't  move  an  inch.  The  tank  was  so  small  that  it  wasn't  even  fit  for  keeping  mollies!  Seeing  their  pathetic  condition  i  just  bought  them  out  of  impulse.  BIG  mistake.      Sad
deejay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:12 pm Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

shishirkamat  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,
 Try  giving  them  to  Hotels  who  keep  Aquarums,they  usually  buy  full  grown  fishes,
 Regards
 Shishir  Kamat                

Hmm  ....  i  am  wondering  how  i  could  get  to  the  right  person  in  charge  of  maintenance  of  the  aquariums  inside  hotels  and  restaurants.  Going  up  to  the  manager  and  offering  to  "donate"  two  large  Pacus  would  be  kind  of  odd  don't  you  think?
deejay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:16 pm Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

headbanger_jib  wrote  (View  Post):                
this  is  the  usual  way  the  pacu  goes  about  in  this  hobby  
 they  grow  very  fast  and  grow  big  
 its  a  little  good  on  your  part,  i  say  little  good  becauseyou  should  have  researched  earlier,  but  i  say  good  as  now  you  are  trying  what  is  possible  in  your  hands  to  relocate  the  fish  to  a  nice  place  

the  fish  might  already  be  stunted  it  being  in  a  25g  tank,  a  15"  pacu  will  surely  be  8-10"  tall  

where  do  you  live  
 i  have  a  1000g  pond  for  my  RTCs  and  TSNs  in  mysore  
 this  pond  will  be  upgraded  when  necessary,  this  is  off  topic

so  back  on  topic,  i  am  ready  to  take  the  fish  as  a  rescue,   

i  have  always  tried  to  upgrade  to  keep  my  fish  as  they  grow,  cause  i  wouldn't  want  to  give  them  away  to  any  body  nor  i  usually  like  to  sell(sometimes  can't  help)

PS:  i  will  not  be  paying  anything  for  it  though  :D

heres  my  number  :9886123832                

The  fish  definitely  looked  stunted  when  i  got  them.  As  soon  as  they  were  in  a  tank  where  they  could  "move"  it  seems  as  if  all  their  latent  growth  just  exploded.  I  have  never  seen  fish  grow  so  rapidly  in  the  last  15  years  of  my  fish  keeping  life.  I  would  have  loved  to  give  them  away  to  you  for  FREE  considering  you  have  a  pond  where  they  will  be  presumably  well  looked  after.  However,  i  am  in  Mumbai  and  shipping  something  this  large  is  impossible.  Sorry  but  thanks  for  responding  anyways!  All  the  very  best  with  your  pond.  

PS:  I  don't  like  selling  or  giving  away  my  fish  either.  In  this  situation,  i  have  exhausted  all  my  options  so  there's  no  other  choice.   Sad
Yogesh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:17 pm Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

Quote:                
Only  space  available  is  in  my  terrace  where  they  will  have  lots  of  crows  and  pigeons  for  company.  

You  can  feed  those  crows  &  pigeons  to  your  Pacu  in  case  you  plan  to  upgrade  bigger  tank  on  the  terrace.
 Its  bitter  feeling  to  give  away  your  beloved  fish  you  raised  from  juvenile  to  adult  stage.  Smile
deejay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:20 pm Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

johnny  wrote  (View  Post):                

Totally  agree.  Now  with  all  the  internet  access,  I  do  a  thorough  research  on  any  fish  that  fancies  me  to  see  if  I  can  provide  well  for  it  till  it  reaches  its  natural  adult  death,  before  I  decide  to  buy  it.  Really  sad  to  see  large  fishes  in  cramped  tanks.  
 Had  this  conversation  with  one  of  my  nephews  recently  (he  is  in  high  school),  who  had  three  4-inch  sharks  in  1ft  tank.
 me:  Hey,  that  tank  is  too  small  for  those  fishes.  You  should  keep  fish  in  tanks  that  are  really  large  for  their  adult  size.
 him:  Oh,  thats  not  a  problem.  The  fish  would  die  before  they  get  any  bigger
 me:   Shocked   Surprised  

Education  starts  at  home,  and  I  did  what  I  can.                

Again  i  agree  i  should  have  used  the  Internet  to  look  it  up.  The  LFS  owner  who  sold  these  fish  to  me  told  me  out  of  his  sheer  ignorance  that  the  smaller  one  was  an  RBP  and  the  larger  one  a  Pacu.  According  to  him,  Pacus  were  "Indian"  or  local  Piranhas  and  hence  they  could  adapt  well  to  our  climatic  conditions   ROFL  

I  should  have  known  better  than  to  trust  these  LFS  guys.  Online  research  would  have  saved  the  day!
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 pm Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

First  of  all  thanks  Deejay  for  starting  a  good  topic.
 I  usually  opt  for  the  2nd  one  ,  To  give  away  the  LFS.
 BTW  in  UK  selling  Tank  Busters  is  prohibited  .
 Regards
 Kaushik
deejay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 pm Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

yogoranda  wrote  (View  Post):                

Quote:                
Only  space  available  is  in  my  terrace  where  they  will  have  lots  of  crows  and  pigeons  for  company.  

You  can  feed  those  crows  &  pigeons  to  your  Pacu  in  case  you  plan  to  upgrade  bigger  tank  on  the  terrace.
 Its  bitter  feeling  to  give  away  your  beloved  fish  you  raised  from  juvenile  to  adult  stage.  Smile                

ROFL  

Great  idea  yogoranda   Thumb Up  

There  are  dozens  of  lizards  on  my  terrace  as  well.  I  would  need  to  get  at  least  an  8'  tank  then  to  keep  Pacus  being  fed  on  a  diet  of  crows,  pigeons  and  lizards   Cheering
deejay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:37 pm Post subject: Re: What do you do when fish outgrow your tank? Reply with quote

sid  wrote  (View  Post):                
hey  Deejay

downsize  your  list  of  terms  and  conditions  for  giving  away  the  fish  and  you'll  probably  have  a  better  chance  of  someone  accepting  them  for  free.  i  know  you  care  about  your  fish  but  not  everyone  in  Bombay  has  a  pond  and  space  for  big  tanks.  Additionally,  no  LFS  is  going  to  buy  fish  that  are  cheap  and  plentiful  from  a  hobbyist,  that's  for  sure.  take  the  Pacu's  to  Nitish  patel,  Affable  fisheries  in  Vile  Parle  west  near  Mithibai  college,  he's  got  huge  tanks  and  will  definitely  accept  them.  Don't  call  and  ask,  just  take  them.  

Regards  Sid.                

Hi  Sid.  Thanks  for  your  suggestion.   Thumb Up  

I  am  NOT  looking  to  sell  them  for  money  to  an  LFS.  I  am  down  with  an  exchange  with  whatever  they  feel  its  worth  or  even  giving  them  away  for  free  (provided  they  keep  them  in  a  BIG  tank  and  don't  cram  them  into  a  bowl  like  the  last  LFS  i  bought  them  from  had  done).  I  tried  both  options  with  an  LFS  here  in  Khar  and  he  ranted  out  of  frustration  that  its  both  expensive  and  a  bloody  pain  in  the  behind  to  keep  fish  that  large,  particularly  pacus  cause  you  cant  mix  the  gentler  variety  with  them  because  of  which  they  would  need  their  own  tank  and  he  had  no  "empty"  tank.  

So  you  are  proposing  i  just  land  up  at  Affable  Fisheries  with  two  giant  Pacus  in  hand?  Let  me  have  a  think  about  this  option.  I  was  kind  of  hoping  that  if  i  am  giving  them  away  for  FREE,  the  least  the  new  owner  could  do  is  come  with  a  swimming  pool  net  and  fish  these  monsters  out.  Doing  it  alone  will  be  a  real  pain!!     Sad   

I  agree  with  you  on  the  space  constraints  in  Mumbai  and  the  fact  that  very  few  people  would  be  able  to  afford  ponds  or  large  tanks.  But  then  what  is  the  point  of  giving  them  away  to  someone  who  is  going  to  cram  them  into  a  small  tank  anyways?  

PS:   Every  city  in  India  has  its  own  pros  and  cons.  If  only  real  estate  was  cheap  in  Mumbai,  we  have  the  best  climate  for  keeping  fish!   Cheering
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: