68. Guest
69. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,836

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:16 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

There  is  not  much  need  to  test  everything  in  freshly  mixed  water.

Alk,Cal  &  Sg  should  be  enough.

Once  you  start  cycling  you  will  need  to  test  the  rest  of  the  parametere  except  phosphate  &  Iodine.
vaccy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:23 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

Hi  All,

I  have  been  doing  a  lot  of  reading  on  sumps  lately.  I  am  thoroughly  confused  on  what  all  do  i  need  (must  have)  in  my  sump.  I  already  have  a  weipro  2015  skimmer  &  dymax  5000  lph  pump  with  me  (to  pump  water  back  to  my  main  tank  through  the  chiller  which  i  already  have).  For  the  2  i  just  mentioned  i  would  need  2  partitions.  I  have  good  40  kgs  of  reef  sand  and  30  kgs  to  caribsea  live  sand  in  my  main  tank.  For  lighting  i  have  got  2  x  150W  20,000k  MH  bulbs,  2  x  28W  T5  Actinic  Blue  tubes,  2  sets  LED  light  for  night  lights.  Now  what  all  do  i  have  in  the  sump

1.  Section  for  Bio  Balls
 2.  Section  for  ceramic  rings
 3.  Section  for  carbon
 4.  UV
 5.  Ozonizer
 6.  Bubble  trapper
 7.  Section  for  LR
 8.  Section  for  DSB

etc  etc  etc

Can  someone  please  guide  me  on  this  topic.  

I  have  a  sand  bed  in  my  main  tank  and  will  have  rocks  (hopefully),  hence  i  guess  i  wont  need  7  &  8,or  would  I  ??????

Regards,
 Dhruv
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:19 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

in  the  sump:-

1.  Section  for  Bio  Balls  
 If  you  have  LR,  Do  not  put  bio  balls.  Let  the  LR  do  its  work

2.  Section  for  ceramic  rings  
 Same  as  above

3.  Section  for  carbon  
 Run  the  carbon  through  a  canister  or  a  small  internal  filter

4.  UV  
 No  Use

5.  Ozonizer  
 You  need  a  ORP  monitor,  Not  needed

6.  Bubble  trapper  
 You  need  a  proper  bubble  trap  before  the  return  pump  so  that  the  bubbles  do  not  get  carried  to  the  display  tank.

7.  Section  for  LR  
 No  needed,  you  can  use  the  sump  to  store  sme  LR  if  required

8.  Section  for  DSB  
 No

I  would  suggest  3  sections,  One  for  the  skimmer  and  drain,  second  for  "refugium"  where  you  can  grow  macro  algae,  Third  is  the  return  pump  section  where  the  water  comes  in  after  the  bubble  trap.
vaccy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:01 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

Thanks  Rahul.

Also  wanted  to  know  if  a  calcium  reactor  is  good  to  have  in  the  sump.
sikander
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:02 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

hi  dhruv  ,

seen  all  post  .found  you  very  enthu  about  your  rank  ......no  ned  for  any  calcium  reactor  unless  you  are  keeping  corals  ...do  not  intro  your  coral  in  tank  right  now  till  you  have  developed  cultured  water  ....for  that  you  will  require  a  cup  full  of  water  from  the  sea  or  either  you  can  borrow  from  some  mature  tank  ...this  will  help  grow  bacteria  in  your  sump  or  filtration  system  

as  you  are  reading  a  lot  pls  go  through  this  post  
 http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/ziggy953s-150-build-errrr-120-build-104073.html

and  please  go  through  all  these  videos  on  this  site  .....will  help  you  understand  cleaning  and  maintenance  and  advice  you  will  love  
 http://www.lafishguys.com  ..........all  the  episode  from  1  to  60
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

Calcium  reactor  will  be  necessary  only  if  you  have  high  load  of  hard  corals.
 For  the  demand  put  on  calcium  &  Alk  by  coralline  algae  you  can  dose  balanced  Calcium  &  alk  by  using  calcium  chloride  and  sodium  bicarbonate.

Let  me  know  if  you  want  the  recipe  .
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 3:13 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

Hey  Dhruv,

Sumps  can  be  made  the  most  simplest  of  filters  to  the  most  comples  systems.  The  options  you  have  are  plenty  and  you  need  to  select  the  right  one  basis  your  current  stocking,  your  future  stocking  plans  and  aspirations.  So  that  lets  say  later  if  you  want  to  go  for  a  full  blown  reef  you  dont  have  to  change  your  basic  equipment.

As  far  as  sump  goes  you  can  either  go  for  a  3  or  4  chamber  option.  Personally  i  prefer  4  chambers.

I  usually  use  the  first  one  as  the  drain  with  some  form  of  mechanical  media,  Foams.  The  second  chamber  i  house  my  skimmer.  The  third  chamber  has  some  crushed  live  rocks  and  macro  algae.  The  last  one  is  for  the  return  pump.

However  you  can  easily  club  chamber  1  and  2  as  well  and  make  a  3  chamber.  If  you  have  live  rock  then  the  need  for  bio  balls,  ceramic  rings  does  not  exists.  UV  /  Ozonizer  is  ones  personal  choice.  I  prefer  it  cause  it  keep  diatoms  at  low  and  also  a  lot  of  pathogens  and  reduces  the  spread  of  diseases.  I  have  had  good  results  with  the  Ozonizer  not  as  much  with  UV's  though.

Cheers
 Nirav  Shah
 Indiapetstore.com
vaccy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:05 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

Thanks  for  all  the  tips  guys.  I  have  got  my  sump  glasses  cut  and  am  going  to  give  it  to  my  lfs  guy  to  get  it  stuck.  Gone  ahead  with  a  4  chamber  sump  (sponge,  skimmer,  bio  balls  /  ceramic  rings  &  return).

Having  a  tough  time  keeping  up  with  all  the  marine  dope  i  have  been  reading.  Cant  wait  till  the  time  i  get  my  tank  to  a  stage  where  it  would  have  some  life  in  it  ...  ;)

Dhruv
vaccy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:13 am Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

Hi,

Can  someone  help  me  with  info  on  aquarium  computers.  I  have  been  reading  about  
 IKS  Aquastar  Professional  but  i  believe  they  only  rent  and  dont  sell.  If  someone  can  help  me  with  all  the  info  they  have  with  possible  good  brands  and  website  addresses  where  i  can  know  all  about  them,  it  would  be  great  :)

Thanks

Dhruv
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:53 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

check  out  the  below.  Its  got  awesome  features.
 There  are  Iphone  apps  where  you  can  receive  realtime  updates  and  graphs.  Very  popular  in  USA.  Not  very  sure  about  220V  version.

Reefkeeper
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

one  more
 Aqua  Controller
vaccy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:50 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

Hi,

Can  someone  please  share  a  web  link  which  categorizes  marine  fishes  into  carnivore,  herbivore  &  omnivore.

Thx

Dhruv
vaccy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:30 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

Hi  All,

No  one  replied  to  my  earlier  post.  Its  like  close  to  20+  hrs  of  search  and  i  have  not  been  successful  in  finding  a  website  that  actually  categorizes  fishes  under  carnivore,  herbivore  &  omnivore.

The  search  started  with  wanting  to  know  which  category  would  a  pink  anthious  fall  under  to  understand  feed  etc.

Hope  someone  will  post  a  link  soon  ...

Dhruv
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:58 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

HI  Dhruv,

I  doubt  that  there  are  any  such  links.  Cause  most  marine  fish's  would  be  omnivores.  Infact  one  that  was  always  considered  a  herbivore  a  yellow  tang,  i  saw  it  eat  a  shrimp  in  a  friends  tanks  yesterday  and  which  is  no  website  list  them  that  way  as  well.  I  havent  seen  one  for  many  many  years.

Cheers
 Nirav  Shah
 Indiapetstore.com
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:01 pm Post subject: Re: new to marine, need help setup a 6x2x2 tank Reply with quote

I  am  guessing  you  meant  "Anthias"  ?

they  are  zooplankton  feeders,  you  will  need  to  feed  them  4-6  times  a  day  with  meaty  food.  small  amount's  several  times  a  day  because  of  their  high  metabolic  rate.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: