65. Guest
66. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 796
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 796

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,834

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Food
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raja_sing
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:33 pm Post subject: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

All  of  us  know  that  Brine  shrimps  are  healthy  live  food  for  both  freshwater  and  Marine  fishes.  They  are  collected  from  salt  lakes.  Are  there  any  salt  lakes  in  India  with  Brine  Shrimps.  Does  live  BS  available  in  India  from  nature  source  in  India.  Anybody  collected  from  any  source  in  India.  Or  all  the  BS  eggs  available  in  India  are  imported.  Or  else  we  have  to  get  them,  hatched  from  the  BS  eggs.  Â Very Happy

Last edited by raja_sing on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
codename
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:27 am Post subject: Re: Availability brine shrimp in India in Nature Reply with quote

i  would  recommend  you  to  hatch  brain  shrimp  eggs..  very  easy  job  just  a  spoon  of  brine  shrimp  eggs  in  a  fish  bowl.  and  add  10  glass  of  salt  water  and  one  glass  of  fresh  water  have  a  10:1  ratio  run  the  aerator  for  36  hours  and  then  remove  the  aerator  and  place  the  bowl  near  the  light  and  let  the  unhatched  eggs  get  settle  to  the  base  of  the  bowl  so  later  you  can  syphon  out  the  hatched  brine  shrimps..  with  a  aerator  tube  and  with  the  help  of  cloth  you  can  filter  them  and  you  can  give  some  fresh  water  dip  then  you  can  directly  drop  the  yummy  hatched  brain  shrimps  in  to  your  aquarium.   

regards

sampath
raja_sing
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:40 am Post subject: Re: Availability brine shrimp in India in Nature Reply with quote

@  Sampath

Thanks  for  the  detailed  method  of  hatching  BS  eggs

The  topic  is  BS  availability  in  Nature  in  India   Very Happy  

raja.s
vyastk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:05 am Post subject: Re: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

Heard  it  is  available  from  Rameshwaram!!!

Regards
 Vyas  T  K
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:39 am Post subject: Re: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

Hi  Raja,

As  far  as  I  know,  India  is  probably  one  of  the  biggest  exporters  of  brine  shrimp  eggs.  Most  of  the  stuff  goes  to  the  US,  is  canned  and  imported  into  India.  

Wherever  you  find  flamigoes  in  India,  I  think  you  will  find  brine  shrimp.  It  has  a  very  low  shelf  life  (nutrition  value  keeps  reducing)  after  hatching.  Baby  Brine  Shrimp  (nauplii)  are  the  best  source  of  food  and  not  even  the  adult  artemia.
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:33 am Post subject: Re: Availability brine shrimp in India in Nature Reply with quote

codename  wrote  (View  Post):                
 add  10  glass  of  salt  water  and  one  glass  of  fresh  water  have  a  10:1  ratio  run  the  aerator  for  36  hours                

Don't  you  mean  the  other  way  round?  I  use  about  1  tablespoon  of  salt  to  a  liter  of  tap  water  and  aerate  for  just  under  24  hours.
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:37 am Post subject: Re: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

Hi  Rahul,

I  think  it  is  also  dependent  on  ambient  temperature.  Tirupur  is  quite  a  hot  place  and  the  eggs  took  about  18  hours  to  hatch.  But  during  cooler  days,  it  took  longer.

A  higher  concentration  of  salt  does  help  the  eggs  hatch  faster,  I  think.
raja_sing
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:32 am Post subject: Re: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

Hi  Suraj

what  does  flamigoes  means  "  salt  belt"  where  rock  solt  is  produced,  like  Tuticorin.  OR  the  flamingo  bird

If  BS  eggs  are  exported  from  our  country  and  sold  back  to  us  in  premium  rates,  means  ???????

Where  does  they  collect  those  eggs?  in  India

I  Â have  read  in  a  book  that  Lake  uttah  in  US  produce  a  lot  of  BS  eggs

regards

raja.s

Last edited by raja_sing on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:34 am Post subject: Re: Availability brine shrimp in India in Nature Reply with quote

raja_sing  wrote  (View  Post):                
The  topic  is  BS  availability  in  Nature  in  India   Very Happy  

raja.s                

Available.  But  the  hatch  rate  is  very  very  poor,  as  far  i  have  tried  and  heard  too.  Don't  know  why.  The  professionally  canned  ones  sound  expensive,  but  is  money's  worth,  IMO.
raja_sing
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:37 am Post subject: Re: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

Any  problem  with  server  or  we  making  mistake  (me  and  Suraj)  Posts  are  twice  posted

Admins  pls  delete  the  one
codename
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:07 pm Post subject: Re: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

yep  suraj  is  right   this  part  of  the  year  the  hatching  takes  very  long.and  i  use  lill  aged  water  for  successful  hatch  rate..  so  i  normally  use  salt  water  from  my  reef  tank  to  hatch  BS  and  my  hatch  rate  is  90%.  

@raja
   yep  buddy  i  know  the  topic  is  all  about  (  BS  availability  in  Nature  in  India).  yep  you  can  get  adult  BS  in  india  and  what  about  the  nutrition  and  almost  80%  adult  BS  will  be  in  poor  shape  due  to  poor  transportation  and  can't  be  housed  for  too  long.  and  that's  why  i  said  i  recommend  you  to  hatch  your  own  BS.  and  like  suraj  said  the  baby  BS  contains  more  nutrition  than  the  adult  BS.  and  BS  eggs  do  have  a  shelf  life  of  4  to  5  years  a  minimum.  

regards

sampath
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:47 pm Post subject: Re: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

codename  wrote  (View  Post):                
yep  suraj  is  right   this  part  of  the  year  the  hatching  takes  very  long.and  i  use  lill  aged  water  for  successful  hatch  rate..  so  i  normally  use  salt  water  from  my  reef  tank  to  hatch  BS  and  my  hatch  rate  is  90%.  

According  to  the  weather  channel,  Trivandrum  is  cooler  than  Chennai  right  now...  And  the  salt  concentration  does  not  matter  that  much  so  long  as  it  is  in  an  acceptable  range.  I  use  1  tablespoon  because  I  pretty  much  get  RO  out  of  my  tap.  In  harder  water,  I  use  1  teaspoon  per  liter.

And  how  exactly  do  you  measure  the  90%  hatch?  With  a  microscope  or  a  cytometer?  Wink

Getting  back  to  the  topic  on  hand,  there  are  several  species  of  Artemia  found  in  India,  on  both  coasts.  The  problem  is  you  don't  find  them  in  large  numbers  in  many  places.  There  used  to  be  decent  numbers  in  the  salt  pans  near  Mulund  in  Bombay  (only  the  very  brave  or  the  masochistic  will  go  there  more  than  once,  though  Wink  ),  and  I'm  sure  there  are  large  numbers  in  the  Kutch  area.  I  believe  Tata  chemicals  used  to  collect  and  market  cysts  from  the  region.
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:15 am Post subject: Re: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

Absolutely  right,  Rahul.

Tata  is  involved  with  the  harvesting  in  Gujarat.
raja_sing
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:50 am Post subject: Re: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

Any  of  our  IAH  member  tried  to  collect  BS  cysts  from  any  regoin  where  they  are  available  as  expedition     Chuckle
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:12 pm Post subject: Re: Availability Of brine shrimp in India in NATURE Reply with quote

My  friend  has  moved  to  a  new  house  right  next  to  the  Mulund  salt  pans.   Cheering
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Food All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: