101. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,463

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Betta Fry Care
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Betta Fry Care
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Breeding & Fry Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daanish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:20 am Post subject: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

Hi  all  ,
 My  betta's  have  spawned  and  now  babies  swimming  vertically.  Male  still  with  them..now  plz  tell  wats  the  best  way  to  raise  them  properly.plz  plz  plz  help.
 Thanks
alpha91

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:15 am Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

I  assume  they  are  yet  to  be  free  swimming.  Once  they  are  free  swimming,remove  the  male  from  the  tank.  feed  them  crushed  egg  yolk  to  begin  with  for  the  first  2-3  days.you  can  also  feed  microworms.  From  day  4-5,start  feeding  freshly  hatched  brine  shrimp...
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:42 am Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

Also,  to  regular  water  changes  to  keep  the  water  quality  good.  Would  a  cycled  sponge  filter  be  recommended  ?
alpha91

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:58 pm Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
Also,  to  regular  water  changes  to  keep  the  water  quality  good.  Would  a  cycled  sponge  filter  be  recommended  ?                

Start  regular  and  heavy  WCs  after  week  3-4.  Do  your  first  WC  (minor,about  20-30)  /water  fill  up  (incase  you  started  out  with  6  inches  of  water  in  a  12inch  high  tank,  which  i  do)  at  week  2.  
 Week  3  onwards,regular  siphoning  is  recommended.  
 Yes  a  cycled  sponge  filter  will  do  good,but  only  after  the  fry  are  strong  enough  to  resist  the  minor  current  of  the  air  bubbles..
Daanish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:16 pm Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

thanks  guys  keep  updating  me
anwinj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:43 pm Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

Post  some  pictures  of  the  male  and  female  here  if  possible.
Daanish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:42 pm Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

they  so  small  tough  to  do  water  change......m  feeding  them  boiled  egg  yolk  crushed  in  water....is  that  fine  ....
alpha91

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:52 pm Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

Daanish  wrote  (View  Post):                
they  so  small  tough  to  do  water  change......m  feeding  them  boiled  egg  yolk  crushed  in  water....is  that  fine  ....                

Boiled  egg  yolk  crushed  in  water  is  just  fine  right  now.  However  you  will  need  to  switch  over  to  BBS/microworms  with  time,because  the  yolk  will  pollute  the  water  when  fed  for  a  long  time.  Also  feed  a  very  little  quantity  of  yolk.  About  the  size  of  a  grain  of  rice...
 For  WCs,if  the  fry  are  dark  bodied,use  a  white  container  (the  ones  used  for  packing  food)  to  remove  water  as  you  will  be  able  to  spot  the  fry  clearly  if  at  all  they  are  caught...
aquaking
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:35 pm Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

Based  on  my  experience,  I  will  advise  you  to  use  a  bunch  horn  wort  plant  along  with  snails.  You  can  use  a  aged  sponge  filter  which  will  serve  as  a  fry  food.  No  need  to  change  water  for  at  least  a  month  if  you  use  a  sponge  filter,  horn  wort  plant  and  snails  .  So  far  I  have  come  across  several  successful  spawns  by  following  this  technique.  I  have  even  spawned  bettas  and  raised  the  fries  in  a  very  small  plastic  bucket(  no  water  change  or  anything  for  1  month).  Bettas  are  the  easiest  fish  to  spawn.
Mohammed Mudassir
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:55 pm Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

@danish
 dont  forget  to  add  apple  snails  in  the  fry  tank,  they  will  clean  up  the  wastes  and  also  produce  infusoria  which  will  serve  as  food  for  the  fry,
 add  one  apple  snail  for  a  2ftr,
 just  as  aplha  said,  perform  heavy  w/c  from  the  3  week,  atleast  70%  per  day,  and  also  give  them  the  largest  foods  they  can  eat  to  get  fast  growth,

aquaking  wrote  (View  Post):                
Based  on  my  experience,  I  will  advise  you  to  use  a  bunch  horn  wort  plant  along  with  snails.  You  can  use  a  aged  sponge  filter  which  will  serve  as  a  fry  food.  No  need  to  change  water  for  at  least  a  month  if  you  use  a  sponge  filter,  horn  wort  plant  and  snails  .  So  far  I  have  come  across  several  successful  spawns  by  following  this  technique.  I  have  even  spawned  bettas  and  raised  the  fries  in  a  very  small  plastic  bucket(  no  water  change  or  anything  for  1  month).  Bettas  are  the  easiest  fish  to  spawn.                

@aquaking
 dont  give  advice  which  u  know  is  not  good,  this  will  give  out  wrong  signals  and  people  who  do  the  right  things(w/c  in  this  case)  may  also  become  lazy,  give  advice  which  will  be  good  for  the  fishes  health   Thumb Up
alpha91

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:59 pm Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

aquaking  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  agree  the  technique  you  use  is  good  for  the  fry  initially,but  later  on  you  have  to  give  them  good  food  to  grow  them  up.  There  is  quite  a  difference  in  thriving  and  growing  up..
 About  the  WCs,well  different  people  have  their  own  techniques...  But  from  1  month  onwards,heavy  WCs  are  must  if  you  aim  for  good  growth...
aquaking
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:43 pm Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

Sorry  if  I  was  wrong.
Daanish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

thanks  guys  .
Daanish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:17 am Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

last  time  was  a  disaster  but  this  time  they  have  done  it  again  and  will  try  my  level  best  not  to  lose  them  anymore..btw  i  have  bot  a  packet  of  daphnia  frm  my  LFS..will  it  be  safe  for  the  babies??
aquaking
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:47 am Post subject: Re: Betta Fry Care Reply with quote

Daanish  wrote  (View  Post):                
last  time  was  a  disaster  but  this  time  they  have  done  it  again  and  will  try  my  level  best  not  to  lose  them  anymore..btw  i  have  bot  a  packet  of  daphnia  frm  my  LFS..will  it  be  safe  for  the  babies??                

It  happens  to  all  beginners.

Follow  my  procedure  you  won't  regret(this  is  for  beginners  so  advanced  breeders  plz  don't  follow  it)

Beginners  ultimate  goal  is  protecting  the  fries  from  death  and  raising  them  to  adults.

Get  some  cheap  plants  hornworts  or  hydrilla  and  some  tiny  snails(usually  the  hornwort  plants  will  have  snails  sticking  to  it)  put  it  in  your  fry  tank  when  the  fry  is  in  free  swimming  stage.  It  is  advisable  to  use  the  plants  at  the  time  of  setting  up  the  spawning  tank  and  use  a  sponge  filter.  Remember  snails  should  be  only  introduced  only  when  the  fries  are  at  the  free  swimming  stage.  Don't  turn  on  the  sponge  filter  until  2  weeks.

when  the  fries  are  swimming  freely  start  feeding  them  boiled  egg  yolk(use  size  of  a  mustard  dissolved  in  water).  Though  you  are  not  feeding  your  live  foods  directly  you  are  actually  feeding  your  fries  with  live  food  indirectly.  Snails  not  only  cleans  the  left  over  food  it's  feces  induces  the  growth  of  infusoria  and  small  microorganisms  which  will  be  your  fries  live  food.  Continue  this  for  2  weeks.  Your  aged  sponged  filter  is  another  good  source  of  food  for  your  fries.  You  can  start  using  powdered  flakes  from  week  3.  Live  foods  works  great  but  for  beginners  it  is  a  little  bit  trouble  to  do  everything  in  the  first  attempt.  Start  doing  the  water  changes  after  1  month.  

If  you  follow  this  method  the  survival  rate  will  be  almost  90%
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Breeding & Fry Care All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: