237. Guest
238. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,897

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - 47G Journal :: FG Redone
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

47G Journal :: FG Redone
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:45 am Post subject: 47G Journal :: FG Redone Reply with quote

After  a  long  time,  starting  another  planted  tank.   Cheer  Somehow  managed  to  get  permission  from  Wife  and  had  to  throw  away  my  old  20G.  Gifted  that  old  tank  to  my  friend's  kid  and  will  keep  some  livebearers  there.

Before  I  got  the  tank,  there  were  2  points  I  had  to  keep  in  mind.

1.  The  setup  needs  to  be  clutter  free.  No  hanging  Wire/Pipes  should  be  visible/accessible,  as  I  have  a  toddler  at  home.

2.  A  standard  size,  which  will  be  easy  to  maintain  and  not  too  small.

So  this  time  first  I  made  a  covered  cabinet  (Copied  the  design  from  ADA  and  modified  little  bit)  for  a  3x1.5x1.5  feet  tank.

I  will  be  able  to  accomodate  all  the  wires  and  filter  inside.  Just  for  my  miss  calculation,  I  could  not  fit  my  CO2  cylinder  inside  the  cabinate.   Mad  

This  will  be  my  first  big  (Standard)  size  tank  with  Aquasoil  Amazonia.  Will  take  some  more  time  to  gather  all  the  accesorries  to  start  the  setup.  

Below  goes  the  details,

Tank:  3x1.5x1.5  (8mm  float  glass)
 Light:  4x36watt  PLL  (Aquamechanics  fittings)
 Filtration:  Unimax  250
 CO2:  Pressurized  CO2  system  (Either  with  external  reactor  or  with  Ceramic  diffuser.)
 Substrate:  Amazonia  II.  Might  add  a  thin  layer  of  Prodac  Fondovivo  at  bottom.  
 Fertilizer:  EI  with  CSM  +B  as  Micro  and  Fe  13%

Plants:    Will  keep  the  plant  list  small  and  simple.  I  have  a  plan  to  keep  a  huge  foreground  with  HC  CUBA  and  eleocharis  acicularis.  At  back  there  will  be  Rotala  Sp.  Red,  Nanjenshan.  In  mid  ground  there  will  be  Anubias  Petite  and  may  be  some  HM.  And  Moss  (Christmass  and  Flame)  on  rocks  and  driftwood.

I  will  take  some  time  for  next  update  as  I  received  the  tank  today  only  and  now  it's  kept  for  leak  testing  for  next  2  days.

In  the  mean  time,  if  you  found  any  mistek  in  planning  or  you  have  any  idea  please  share.  Very Happy

Last edited by Tirtha C on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:57 am; edited 10 times in total
Seetharam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:22 am Post subject: Re: 47G Journal Reply with quote

Very  Nice  Buddy  .....  All  the  Best   Thumb Up
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:24 am Post subject: Re: 47G Journal Reply with quote

Ahhh.  Excellent.  
 The  beginning  of   another  one  of  your  exquisitly  detailed  journals.  Keep  it  coming......  

Can  you  show  us  a  picture  of  the  light  mounting?  That  is  a  part  of  ADA  cabinet  that  impressed  me  the  most.
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:26 am Post subject: Re: 47G Journal Reply with quote

Tirtha,
 1.  Thought  the  clear  height  insie  the  cabinet  was  2  feet....so  the  CO2  cylinder  will  fit  in.  Sad  .  
 2.  Why  Prodac  Fondo  vivo?  (Btw,  I  might  have  some  Fondo  Vivo  left).
 3.  How  are  you  planning  to  hang  the  light?
 4.  Finally,  what  have  you  done  about  locking  the  cabinet  door?
 5.  You  can  try  some  Boilibitis  Heudelotii
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:22 pm Post subject: Re: 47G Journal Reply with quote

Another  thing  you  should  consider  is  that  at  18  inches  height,  you  would  probably  need  T5  HOs  with  good  reflectors  to  get  adequate  light  down  to  the  substrate.  Anyways  see  how  it  goes  with  the  PLLs  and  then  decide  if  you  want  to  change  the  lighting  or  your  foreground  plants.  If  you  could  then  replace  the  PLLS  in  the  front  of  the  fixture  with  T5  HOs  just  for  the  foreground
shanpuru
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:25 pm Post subject: Re: 47G Journal Reply with quote

Hi,

Hope  the  frame  is  strong  enough  and  does  not  bend.

If  there  is  any  bend  your  will  have  tough  time  opening  and  closing  the  doors.

2  Kg  cylinder  should  fit  in  this  size  cabinet.

Regards
 Shankar
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:04 pm Post subject: Re: 47G Journal Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  Seetharam,  Unni,  Bappa  Da,  Mortis,  Shankar  for  your  encouraging  words.  

drug  wrote  (View  Post):                
Can  you  show  us  a  picture  of  the  light  mounting?  That  is  a  part  of  ADA  cabinet  that  impressed  me  the  most.                

Unni,  I  will  hang  the  light  fixture  directly  from  the  ceiling  so  no  stand.

bmukh  wrote  (View  Post):                

Tirtha,
 1.  Thought  the  clear  height  insie  the  cabinet  was  2  feet....so  the  CO2  cylinder  will  fit  in.  Sad  .  
 2.  Why  Prodac  Fondo  vivo?  (Btw,  I  might  have  some  Fondo  Vivo  left).
 3.  How  are  you  planning  to  hang  the  light?
 4.  Finally,  what  have  you  done  about  locking  the  cabinet  door?
 5.  You  can  try  some  Boilibitis  Heudelotii

1.  Cylinder  is  going  in  easily  but  not  with  the  regulator  attached.  :(

2.  Just  to  give  the  setup  initial  Nitrate  kick.  What  I  found  is  that,  under  high  light  and  with  fast  growing  plants,  AS  is  running  out  of  NO3  within  a  month.  Just  to  keep  the  thing  simple,  I  want  to  use  fondovivo  as  poor  mans  Power  sand.   Thumbs Up  

3.  directly  from  ceiling.

4.  Not  yet.  Give  me  2-3  more  days.  That  will  be  done.  I  will  fix  it  myself.

5.  Will  wait  for  you  to  take  some  back  from  SG.  :D

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                

Another  thing  you  should  consider  is  that  at  18  inches  height,  you  would  probably  need  T5  HOs  with  good  reflectors  to  get  adequate  light  down  to  the  substrate.  Anyways  see  how  it  goes  with  the  PLLs  and  then  decide  if  you  want  to  change  the  lighting  or  your  foreground  plants.  If  you  could  then  replace  the  PLLS  in  the  front  of  the  fixture  with  T5  HOs  just  for  the  foreground

Thanks  Mortis  for  the  input.  I  had  the  same  impression  before.  I  discussed  the  same  with  Harshal  too.  After  the  substrate,  there  will  be  only  15-16"  high  water  column.  And  HC/acicularis  both  are  medium  light  plant.  So  T5  HO  will  be  over  kill.  

shanpuru  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hi,

Hope  the  frame  is  strong  enough  and  does  not  bend.

If  there  is  any  bend  your  will  have  tough  time  opening  and  closing  the  doors.

2  Kg  cylinder  should  fit  in  this  size  cabinet.

Regards
 Shankar

Shakar,  don't  go  by  the  outer  fancy  look  of  the  cabinet.  I  gave  3  "I"  Shaped  coulmns  inside  the  cabinet  made  with  4"  thick  Teak  wood  beam.  Give  me  tonight.  I  will  post  the  pictures.  And  the  cabinate  is  made  out  of  High  density  1"  Ply  board.  

You  are  right.  I  can  fit  2kg  cylinder  easily  inside.  But  I  already  have  3  4.5KG  cylinder  with  me.  So  want  to  make  use  of  them  only.
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:36 pm Post subject: Re: 47G Journal Reply with quote

Good  luck  Tirtha!
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:05 am Post subject: Re: 47G Journal Reply with quote

Prem  kk  wrote  (View  Post):                
Good  luck  Tirtha!                

Thanks  a  lot  bro.  Hope  everything  will  go  alright.

Here  is  the  Inside  picture  of  the  cabinet.

I  have  a  big  hole  at  the  right  wall  of  the  cabinet  for  the  filter  pipes.  That  is  not  visible  in  the  picture.

Blue  bars  are  4"  thick  solid  teak  wood  beam.
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:11 am Post subject: Re: 47G Journal Reply with quote

Another  planted  tank  waiting  us.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:01 am Post subject: Re: 47G Journal(Scaping Started) Reply with quote

What  a  beautiful  night.  Wife  and  Daughter  went  to  bed  early  and  I  was  left  with  solid  3  hrs  for  my  own  activities.  Gave  a  small  buzz  to  another  hobbyist  Rajiv  (Not  Scorpio)  who  is  staying  in  the  same  building.  He  was  down  with  a  very  bad  stomach  infection.  The  moment  he  entered  into  my  flat,  his  first  sentence  was  "  You  will  be  the  only  reason  for  my  divorce".   Chuckle  

Anyway,  lets  start  with  the  scaping.  First  tied  the  wood  with  a  slate  to  gain  some  height  as  well  as  weight  to  hold  the  wood  down.  And  placed  it  on  a  piece  of  thermocol.

A  closer  view  of  the  wood  arrangement.

I  have  planned  to  keep  the  substrate  2"  thick  at  front  and  3"  at  back.  At  the  same  time  wanted  to  save  some  costly  Aquasoil.  So  place  some  thermocol  sheet  at  back  to  gain  1"  height.  Now  I  will  be  needing  only  2"  Aquasoil  all  over  the  tank.  Kept  1"  distance  between  the  thermocol  and  the  glass  so  it  will  not  be  visible  later.

I  had  some  1  month  old  used  Aquasoil  from  my  20G.  Made  a  1"  layer  with  that.  This  is  how  the  tank  looks  like  as  of  now.

A  closer  one,

Tomorrow  will  introduce  rocks  in  the  scape.  Need  to  place  the  rocks  such  a  way  that  they  will  look  natural  as  well  as  will  hold  the  slope.

Will  make  the  final  layer  with  fresh  Aquasoil  right  before  plantation.

Comment  &  Critisism  most  welcome.   Smile
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:22 am Post subject: Re: 47G Journal(Scaping Started) Reply with quote

Tirtha
 hope  you  have  test  filled  with  water  after  placing  the  thermocol  in  the  tank.  I  tried  the  same  thing  about  a  month  back  in  my  25  Gallon  tank.  The  16x12  inch  thermocol  sheet  floated  up  even  with  three  fairly  large  rocks  on  it.  Finally  I  had  to  trim  the  sheets  and  add  more  rocks  for  the  plan  to  work

Last edited by drug on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:07 am Post subject: Re: 47G Journal(Scaping Started) Reply with quote

"What  a  beautiful  night.  Wife  and  Daughter  went  to  bed  early  and  I  was  left  with  solid  3  hrs  for  my  own  activities.  Gave  a  small  buzz  to  another  hobbyist  Rajiv  (Not  Scorpio)  who  is  staying  in  the  same  building.  He  was  down  with  a  very  bad  stomach  infection.  The  moment  he  entered  into  my  flat,  his  first  sentence  was  "  You  will  be  the  only  reason  for  my  divorce".     

My  wife  also  says  "forget  me  and  keep  only  fishes"
kame
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:46 am Post subject: Re: 47G Journal(Scaping Started) Reply with quote

Hi,

Any  idea  whether  the  thermacoal  used  in  the  tanks  to  hold  the  rocks  will  affect  fishes.  

-Kamesh
Mephitis
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:50 am Post subject: Re: 47G Journal(Scaping Started) Reply with quote

kame  wrote  (View  Post):                
Any  idea  whether  the  thermacoal  used  in  the  tanks  to  hold  the  rocks  will  affect  fishes.                

Thermocol  is  chemically  inert.

Regards,
 Rohan.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: