62. Guest
63. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - DIY Sump, Disaster...
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

DIY Sump, Disaster...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matsyapremi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:29 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

saurabh_m  wrote  (View  Post):                

GatorX  wrote  (View  Post):                
What  did  you  use  to  Glue  the  acrylic  ?                

A  super  glue  called  'bond'  is  sold  in  the  market,  used  for  gluing  acrylic  and  flex  sheets.
 This  glue  is  not  water  proof,  this  was  used  just  to  hold  the  sheets  onto  the  base.

Thats  me  applying  bond  to  the  joints.

The  Acrylic  sheet  was  held  perpendicular  to  the  base  and  the  bond  applied  to  the  joint,  the  capillary  action  does  the  rest.

nature_lover  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  am  curious  too.  Also  at  3mm  thickness,  that  is  fairly  a  thin  sheet  of  acrylic.Will  it  hold?                

Yes  at  least  6mm  sheet  was  required  for  the  project.  But  I  used  3mm  keeping  in  mind  about  the  baffling,  which  provides  extra  support  to  the  tank.                

Guys,

Just  a  tip  -  Acrylic  fabricators  use  the  following  method,  for  joining  sheets  of
 acrylic  -  even  as  thin  as  3  mm.

Get  a  hypodermic  needle  and  syringe  from  any  medical  shop  -  just  cost  under  Rs.5/-  a  piece.

Get  a  bottle  of  pure  'chloroform'  -  not  sold  easily  by  chemist  to  ordinary  guys,  but  only  to  medical  pratitioners.  Cost  under  Rs.100/-  a  bottle.

Fill  the  syringe  with  'chloroform'  and  gently  apply  to  the  edges  of  the  acrylic,  ensuring  that  they  are  at  right  angles.  This  joins  them  instantly.

Regards,
 K  Ram
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:41 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

Matsyapremi  wrote  (View  Post):                

Guys,
 Just  a  tip  -
 Acrylic  fabricators  use  the  following  method,  for  joining  sheets  of
 Get  a  hypodermic  needle  and  syringe  from  any  medical  shop  -  just  cost  under  Rs.5/-  a  piece.
 Get  a  bottle  of  pure  'chloroform'  -  not  sold  easily  by  chemist  to  ordinary  guys,  but  only  to  medical  pratitioners.  Cost  under  Rs.100/-  a  bottle.
 Fill  the  syringe  with  'chloroform'  and  gently  apply  to  the  edges  of  the  acrylic,  ensuring  that  they  are  at  right  angles.  This  joins  them  instantly.
 Regards,
 K  Ram                

Thanks  Ram...I'll  try  it..

Guya...any  idea..how  to  travel  water  without  power  heads?  completely  acoustic  idead  anyone?
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:18 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

Matsyapremi  wrote  (View  Post):                

Guys,

Just  a  tip  -  Acrylic  fabricators  use  the  following  method,  for  joining  sheets  of

Regards,
 K  Ram                

Yes  I  was  aware  of  the  chloroform  method,  I've  read  article  by  Gopinath,  did  some  googling  also  and  met  some  advertisers,  who  have  been  working  with  acrylics  for  years.  Even  after  that  just  to  be  sure  of  that  the  stuff  works,  I  made  a  small  tank  with  bond  alone.  It  worked,  I've  applied  Araldite  on  every  joint  just  to  be  double  sure,  and  not  to  let  the  pressure  of  water  break  the  joint.
 Its  working  anyhow.
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

Gluing  the  sheets  with  the  other  side  on  was  a  real  PITA  with  such  a  small  size  left.  (It  was  4"  x  5"  x  24")

saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:29 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

This  was  the  final  figure  after  weeks  of  patience  with  applying  araldite  to  all  the  joints  (there  were  18  of  them,  and  I  had  just  half  an  hour  each  day  for  my  hobby)

You  can  see  that  I've  fixed  a  1"  tank  valve  to  the  sump.
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:30 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

Interesting.  Keep  updating  this  thread.  Want  to  see  how  the  completed  project  looks  i.e.  once  connected  to  the  tank.
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:33 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

It  was  tested  with  water  half  filled  and   then  filled  upto  the  brim.
 I  placed  news  paper  at  the  bottom  to  see  that  the  minutest  of  leak  leaves  a  spot  on  it.
 It  worked,  I  found  a  couple  and  applied  araldite  on  it.

saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

You  might  have  noticed  that  one  of  the  partition  in  my  tank  was  accidentally  pasted  at  an  angle.  I  had  to  physically  remove  that  partition  with  hands  and  a  cutter  blade  and  place  it  again.  
 Before  applying  araldite  to  the  joints.  
 By  this  time  the  sump  was  yellowish,  since  it  took  me  almost  a  month  testing  and  pasting  it.  My  wife  won't  allow  such  a  thing  inside  the  house,  so  it  kept  lying  in  the  balcony  and  came  inside  only  when  I  was  working  on  it.

But  I  was  not  concerned  with  its  aesthetics.  My  only  concern  was  it  has  to  work  properly  and  should  not  leak.
 Here  is  some  of  the  stuff  I  got  from  local  market  to  put  as  media,  

Some  of  the  ceramic  rings  were  procured  from  local  electricity  market.

To  provide  it  a  stable  base  and  keep  centre  of  gravity  down  some  construction  sand  was  filled  at  the  base.  

You  must  have  noticed  that  I've  tied  a  lace  around  the  sump.  Well  it  was  my  nightmare  that  the  tank  might  explode  with  just  3mm  of  acrylic,  so  I  just  wrapped  it  around  with  a  lace.  The  lace  might  not  give  any  support  but  it  just  gives  me  some  mental  satisfaction.
GatorX

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:58 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

It  would  have  be  so  much  easier  if  you  made  it  out  of  glass...and  also  cheaper..
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:02 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

GatorX  wrote  (View  Post):                
It  would  have  be  so  much  easier  if  you  made  it  out  of  glass...and  also  cheaper..                

Yes,  you  are  absolutely  right.  
 But  I  am  an  idiot  and   try  something  more  difficult.
 I  could  not  get  chloroform  from  the  chemist,  even  I  was  a  bit  skeptical  with  welding  with  chloroform.  So  I  went  for  this  method.

Last edited by saurabh_m on Mon May 10, 2010 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:45 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

The  outlet  valve  was  sealed  with  teflon  tape  to  avoid  leaks.

saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

I  dumped  the  entire  ceramic  rings  in  the  the  first  compartment,  scrubs  and  foam  from  my  matten  filter  in  the  second  compartment,  while  nylon  fibres  in  the  the  third  compartment.
 Dumping  nylon  fibres  was  a  mistake  since  the  clog  easily  and  choke  the  system.  They  were  taken  out  later.

The  choking  of  nylon  fibres  gave  me  a  chill  down  the  spine  that  some  compartment  of  the  filter  might  choke  at  any  stage  and  result  in  an  overflow.
 So  I  used  the  followin  method  to  resolve  the  issue.

I  made  three  1cm  x  5  cm  vents  in  first  partition  around  at  a  distance  of  about  8cm  from  the  top.
 The  same  holes  were  made  at  the  third  partition  at  a  distance  of  about  16cm  from  the  top.

This  tackles  the  issue  of  overflow.  
 If  second  compartment  chokes,  the  water  will  overflow  from  1st  to  2nd  and  I  would  know  that  second  or  first  compartment  is  choked  and  would  clean  it.
 Same  would  happen  between  third  and  fourth  compartment.  

If  any  of  you  attempt  to  make  a  sump  like  this,  always  make  sure  that  the  height  of  partition  is  adjusted  accordingly  so  that  the  issue  of  making  holes  in  the  partitions  does  not  arise.

Because  of  dismantling  of  my  matten,  my  tank  had  become  quite  dirty,  nothing  was  visible  inside  it,  all  dirt  and  dirt.  This  and  the  damned  thing  nylon  fibers  
 When  I  filled  the  sump  with  water,  an  interesting  phenomenon  was  awaiting  me.  The  water  level  in  the  sump  was  oscillating  and  the  same  was  happening  with  the  o/p  pipe  in  the  tank.
 First  the  water  level  in  the  fourth  chamber  would  go  up  around  3cm  above  the  o/p  valve.  When  the  water  head  was  sufficient  to  push  the  water  through  the  1"  pipe,  it  would  come  down  to  upto  1cm  below  the  o/p  valve  and  as  a  result  some  amount  of  air  bubbles  were  also  thown  into  the  tank.
 This  SHM  continued  for  around  12hrs  after  which  the  sump  was  stabilised  and  water  level  in  all  the  four  chambers  was  equal.

The  picture  quality  is  not  clear,  but  you  can  notice  the  difference  in  water  levels  in  the  four  columns.
 The  level  in  second  and  third  column  was  of  course  same.

P.S.  This  picture  was  taken  before  making  any  overflow  vents.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:11 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

Fanstastic...  I  want  to  see  that  tabk  water,  of  your  tank  being  treated  first....  what  was  the  cost  of  the  whole  assembly?  Smile   its  looks  priceless....  But  I  dont  think  you  can  put  a  heater  in  this  tub...It  could  affect  the  glueing  probably.  Also  Saurabhbhai  please  mark  the  time,  the  moment  you  roll  the  water  in  this  filter..  Its  a  good  idea...  I  will  try  it  if  it  realy  works...  maily  the  time  is  more  important...  the  same  idea  is  on  IAH  also,  that  same  idea  is  with  1  LFS.  But  powerhead  is  dangerous..  those  china  made  PH's  are  unpredictable
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:20 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
 what  was  the  cost  of  the  whole  assembly?  Smile                

O!  I  forgot  to  mention  that.  The  price  of  whole  assembly  was  slightly  above  1k  mark.  That  too  because  I  made  it  with  acrylic,  had  it  been  with  glass,  it  would  have  been  one  third  of  that.
 The  powerheads  are  not  included  in  this  cost  as  I  have  taken  them  out  from  my  old  matten  filter.

But  I  dont  think  you  can  put  a  heater  in  this  tub...It  could  affect  the  glueing  probably.  

I'd  see  to  that.  But  temp  would  not  increase  30C  mark.

Also  Saurabhbhai  please  mark  the  time,  the  moment  you  roll  the  water  in  this  filter..  Its  a  good  idea...  I  will  try  it  if  it  realy  works...  maily  the  time  is  more  important...  the  same  idea  is  on  IAH  also,  that  same  idea  is  with  1  LFS.  

I  coudn't  get  you,  please  explain.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:23 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Sump, Project Starts Reply with quote

What  I  meant  was  the  time  this  filter  takes  to  clear  the  water  and  filter  all  the  essentials....BTW  what  is  your  water  changing  cycle  (daily  -days-weeks).  The  main  PITA  is  ammonia  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: