123. Guest
124. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,429

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Boiled rice for cichlids
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Boiled rice for cichlids
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Food
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:58 pm Post subject: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

Hi,

Is  it  okay  to  give  boiled  rice  to  cichlids?  I  bought  an  oscar  a  week  ago.  It's  about  7”  long,  and  it  hasn't  been  eating  much  since  I  bought  it.  I  have  tried  feeding  it  small  pieces  of  beefheart  and  strips  of  a  fish  that  Mallus  call  kareemeen.  Nothing  seems  to  work.  Yesterday,  I  dropped  a  grain  of  boiled  rice  in  the  tank  and  the  oscar  charged  in  and  ate  it  up.  At  lunch  today,  I  dropped  5  grains  of  boiled  rice  and  it  gobbled  them  up.  Is  boiled  rice  okay  for  cichlids?  I  bought  the  oscar  from  an  LFS,  and  the  (usual/expected)  advice  is  to  feed  it  packaged  food.  I  am  going  to  keep  trying  to  feed  it  various  other  natural  food  items  (prawns  etc.),  but  just  to  keep  it  alive,  is  it  okay  to  feed  it  a  few  grains  of  rice  every  day?

BTW,  I  discovered  that  my  flowerhorn  and  cuban  cichlids  also  like  rice.  Is  this  normal  behavior?  I  know  that  they  are  not  acting  like  greedy  goldfish  (which  eat  anything),  because  they  do  spit  out  pieces  of  fish  that  they  don't  like.

Thanks,
 Vicky
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:10 pm Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

Hi  Vicky,

I  think  the  best  food  for  fish  is  the  one  which  most  closely  resembles  what  these  fish  eat  in  the  wild.  So,  "rice"  is  not  something  I  think  is  a  good  idea.  

I  don't  know  if  there  are  any  harmful  effects  of  feeding  (cooked)  rice  to  fish.  I  will  let  others  comment  on  that.

Good  quality  "packaged"  food  actually  serve  as  a  balanced  diet  for  the  fish  and  is  what  most  experts  will  recommend.

If  you  don't  want  to  go  for  this,  you  will  have  to  get  a  variety  of  "natural"  food  for  your  fish.  

My  Silver  Aro  doesn't  eat  prepared  food.  So  I  feed  him  a  variety  of  fish  food:  shrimp,  squid,  other  fish,  egg-white  (of  a  hard-boiled  egg),  crickets  and  roaches  (after  quarantine)  and  freeze-dried  blood  worms.

Good  Luck,
 Sid
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:38 pm Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

Vicky,

If  your  fish  is  going  for  rice,  please  go  ahead  and  feed  it  rice.  But  try  and  vary  the  diet  over  a  period  of  time.

Sidrock,  Your  basic  logic  is  correct.  But  not  supported  by  facts.  Every  temple  in  Karnataka  has  a  pond  or  a  stream  or  a  river  flowing  near  it.  There  are  fishes,  reared  and  considered  sacred  because  of  conservation  purpose.  These  fishes  are  fed  rice  only,  after  the  Prasadam.  You  should  see  the  density  as  well  as  the  size  of  these  fishes!  I  have  a  picture  somewhere  which  I  am  trying  to  locate.  Trust  me,  they  are  so  vibrant  you  will  be  surprised.

Regards,
 Nayak.
pkattitude
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:32 pm Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

Most  of  the  fishes  have  amylase  which  is  required  to  digest  the  starch  in  the  rice.

(Source:http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/congress/2000/Papers/evolutionpdf/lopez-vasquez.pdf)

However  fishes  need  a  lot  of  protein  in  their  food.

"The  high  dietary  protein  requirement  of  fish  and  shrimp  is  generally  attributed  to  their  carnivorous/omnivorous  feeding  habit,  and  their  preferential  use  of  protein  over  carbohydrates  as  a  dietary  energy  source  (Cowey,  1975).  In  contrast  to  terrestrial  farm  animals  fish  and  shrimp  are  able  to  derive  more  metabolizable  energy  from  the  catabolism  of  proteins  than  from  carbohydrates."

(Source:http://www.fao.org/docrep/field/003/ab470e/AB470E02.htm)

The  protein  content  of  rice  cultivars  ranged  from  7.0  to  10.8%.(pretty  low)

(Source:"The  protein  and  the  amino  acid  composition  of  some  rice  and  maize  varieties  grown  in  North  Vietnam"  http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/113321295/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0)

Proteins  are  made  up  of  amino  acids.Amino  acids  which  are  essential  for  growth  are  called  essential  amino  acids.The  dietary  Essential  Amino  Acids  for  fish  and  shrimp  are  as  follows:

Threonine
 Valine
 Leucine
 Isoleucine
 Methionine
 Tryptophan
 Lysine
 Histidine
 Arginine
 Phenylalanine

In  general,  lysine  and  threonine  are  found  to  be  the  first  and  second  nutritionally  limiting  amino  acids  in  rice,  except  for  some  varieties,  which  had  a  low  content  of  sulphur-containing  amino  acids.

(Source:"The  protein  and  the  amino  acid  composition  of  some  rice  and  maize  varieties  grown  in  North  Vietnam"  http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/113321295/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0)

Fish  meal  and  shrimp  meal  are  one  of  the  most  suitable  diets  which  have  all  essential  amino  acids.

So,  overall  I  will  support  Sid  in  his  statements.  Try  to  avoid  rice  and  give  the  fish  something  that  would  resemble  its  natural  diet.
pkattitude
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:38 pm Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                
Vicky,

If  your  fish  is  going  for  rice,  please  go  ahead  and  feed  it  rice.  But  try  and  vary  the  diet  over  a  period  of  time.

Sidrock,  Your  basic  logic  is  correct.  But  not  supported  by  facts.  Every  temple  in  Karnataka  has  a  pond  or  a  stream  or  a  river  flowing  near  it.  There  are  fishes,  reared  and  considered  sacred  because  of  conservation  purpose.  These  fishes  are  fed  rice  only,  after  the  Prasadam.  You  should  see  the  density  as  well  as  the  size  of  these  fishes!  I  have  a  picture  somewhere  which  I  am  trying  to  locate.  Trust  me,  they  are  so  vibrant  you  will  be  surprised.

Regards,
 Nayak.                

Nice  practical  example  Nayak.  But  could  you  throw  some  light  on  the  type  of  fishes  in  those  rivers.  Different  fish  species  have  different  level  of  amylase  activity...  carps  usually  have  high  and  cichlids  seem  to  have  pretty  low.
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:47 pm Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

Sid,  point  taken.  I  will  go  for  packaged  food  if  I  am  not  able  to  figure  out  what  natural  (non-veg)  food  my  oscar  will  accept.  Thank  you  for  your  input.  BTW,  I  never  thought  of  quarantined  roaches.  That's  something  worth  trying.

Nayak  Sir,  thank  you,  thank  you!  I  have  heard  all  kinds  of  weird  things  about  feeding  fish  rice.  Your  feedback  puts  all  those  doubts  to  rest.  Yes,  I  will  definitely  vary  my  oscar's  diet.  I  am  moving  in  a  few  days.  I'll  resume  my  experiments  with  different  types  of  food  for  him  (I  think  it's  a  him)  after  the  move.  He's  a  beautiful  veil-tail—quite  large/tall/high  for  an  oscar.  His  previous  owner  had  kept  him  in  tip-top  condition,  and  I  aim  to  emulate  that  individual.

Pkattitude,  the  rice  is  very  temporary.  Just  a  few  grains  to  keep  his  stomach  juices  from  acting  on  his  stomach  lining,  or  whatever  is  the  fishy  equivalent  of  a  human  gastric  problem.  I  am  trying  prawns  tomorrow.  Quarantined  feeders  are  last  on  my  list.  The  info  you  have  provided  is  in-depth  stuff.  Your  info  (kinda)  supports  Nayak  Sir's  input--fish  would  have  to  eat  a  lot  of  rice  to  meet  their  protein  requirement.

I'm  hoping  my  oscar  starts  accepting  "normal"  oscar  food  soon.  I'll  post  an  update  after  he  changes  his  eating  habits.

Thanks,  All!

Vicky
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:28 am Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

Vicky,

Regards,
 Nayak.                

@Nayak

Well,  I  was  just  trying  to  state  that  cooked  rice  is  not  part  of  the  fishes'  "natural"  diet.  I  really  don't  know  if  it  is  actually  harmful.  Your  experience  with  the  temple  fish  suggests  it's  not.  I  don't  think  we  disagree  to  the  fact  that  the  fish  needs  a  balanced  diet.  (Do  we?)

pkattitude  wrote  (View  Post):                
Most  of  the  fishes  have  amylase  which  is  required  to  digest  the  starch  in  the  rice.

(Source:http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/congress/2000/Papers/evolutionpdf/lopez-vasquez.pdf)

"The  high  dietary  protein  requirement  of  fish  and  shrimp  is  generally  attributed  to  their  carnivorous/omnivorous  feeding  habit,  and  their  preferential  use  of  protein  over  carbohydrates  as  a  dietary  energy  source  (Cowey,  1975).  In  contrast  to  terrestrial  farm  animals  fish  and  shrimp  are  able  to  derive  more  metabolizable  energy  from  the  catabolism  of  proteins  than  from  carbohydrates."

The  protein  content  of  rice  cultivars  ranged  from  7.0  to  10.8%.(pretty  low)

Proteins  are  made  up  of  amino  acids.Amino  acids  which  are  essential  for  growth  are  called  essential  amino  acids.The  dietary  Essential  Amino  Acids  for  fish  and  shrimp  are  as  follows:

Threonine
 Valine
 Leucine
 Isoleucine
 Methionine
 Tryptophan
 Lysine
 Histidine
 Arginine
 Phenylalanine

In  general,  lysine  and  threonine  are  found  to  be  the  first  and  second  nutritionally  limiting  amino  acids  in  rice,  except  for  some  varieties,  which  had  a  low  content  of  sulphur-containing  amino  acids.

Fish  meal  and  shrimp  meal  are  one  of  the  most  suitable  diets  which  have  all  essential  amino  acids.

So,  overall  I  will  support  Sid  in  his  statements.  Try  to  avoid  rice  and  give  the  fish  something  that  would  resemble  its  natural  diet.                

@  pkattitude:

While  my  role  now  is  to  manage  other  geeks,  I  was  a  (Computer  Science)  research  geek  for  nearly  3  years.  You  have  no  idea  how  much  I  love  comments  with  so  much  analysis  and  references   Thumb Up  

Vicky01  wrote  (View  Post):                
BTW,  I  never  thought  of  quarantined  roaches.  That's  something  worth  trying.
 Vicky                

@Vicky:

The  only  side-effect  of  catching  stray  roaches  from  around  the  house  and  quarantining  them  for  a  few  days  to  feed  your  fish  is  that  your  wife/girl-friend/family  will  think  you  have  gone  crazy.:)

Cheers,

Sid
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:33 am Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

[quote="Sidrock";p="192299"]                                                  

@Nayak
 I  don't  think  we  disagree  to  the  fact  that  the  fish  needs  a  balanced  diet.  (Do  we?)
 Cheers,Sid                

Reply  in  my  earlier  post.  

Vicky,
 Regards,
 Nayak.                

Vary  the  diet  =  balanced  diet.  The  concern  of  Vicky  was  to  save  his  fish  and  my  reply  was  in  relation  to  "that"  concern.  Vicky  understood  the  gist  of  my  reply  as  his  subsequent  post  confirms.

Threonine
 Valine
 Leucine
 Isoleucine
 Methionine
 Tryptophan
 Lysine
 Histidine
 Arginine
 Phenylalanine

Very  interesting  articles.  Done  as  a  study  for  aqua  farming(foodfish)  provides  in  depth  details  on  how  to  attain  the  maximum  growth  for  a  select  few  fishes.  But  are  you  citing  these  articles  as  a  basis  for  high  protein  feeding  for  our  aquarium  fishes?  Say  for  Mbuna  might  be,  or  certain  pleco's.  One  of  the  highest  protein  source  developed  by  Hobbyist's  is  the  beef  heart  or  goat  heart  mix.  Do  you  recommend  this  food  as  a  high  protien  source?  BTW,  I  too  found  a  interesting  information  on  the  net......
 "There  are  large  differences  in  the  ability  of  different  species  of  fish  to  digest  feed  materials.  Fish  species  range  all  the  way  from  strict  herbivores  through  omnivores  to  carnivores."
 http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5738E/x5738e03.htm

Vicky,

Regards,
 Nayak.                

Nice  practical  example  Nayak.  But  could  you  throw  some  light  on  the  type  of  fishes  in  those  rivers.  Different  fish  species  have  different  level  of  amylase  activity...  carps  usually  have  high  and  cichlids  seem  to  have  pretty  low.                

Cyprinids.  Can  you  please  substantiate  your  statement........."Different  fish  species  have  different  level  of  amylase  activity...  carps  usually  have  high  and  cichlids  seem  to  have  pretty  low".

Guys,

Please  realize,  I  am  no  fanatic  who  is  trying  to  propagate  feeding  only  rice  to  your  fish.  Neither  have  I  recommended  Vicky  feed  "only"  rice  to  his  fishes.Definitely  a  balanced  diet  is  very  essential.  Realize  the  dietary  preference  of  your  fishes  and  then  provide  them  with  it.  Generalization  like  "high  proteins  is  good",  is  very  dangerous.  

Regards,
 Nayak.

Pics  of  temple  fishes  from  Sullia  district  of  south  Canara,  Karnataka.

Feeding  the  fish  from  cane  containers

Churning  of  the  water  due  to  the  feeding  frenzy....

The  dark  shoal,  Substrate  is  lighter.

The  teeming  fishes.  Enclosed  by  two  dykes,  no  escape.  Fishing  is  prohibited  here.

An  aquarium  in  Sringeri.  Fishes  caught  from  Tunga,  fed  only  rice  and  wheat  Rava.  The  owner  has  never  heard  of  packed  fish  food.There  was  a  6  inch  Tor  kudree  in  here.  Only  natives  and  he  had  some  of  these  fishes  for  the  past  few  years.

Regards,
 Nayak.
Linelogic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:54 am Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

Vicky,

Regards,
 Nayak.                

Nayak's  logic  and  example  is  amazing..............
 Very  True  indeed  at  our  temples  where  they  do  not  stock  packaged  'Hikari'  foods  .......   Chuckle
Yogesh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:57 am Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

Nayak  -  Nice  pictures  &  super  explanation.  Thumb Up
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:55 am Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

Nayak,  Superb  narration  with  proof.  

An  eye  opener  for  our  Phoren  cut  /  paste,  linkers  and  reference  boys.

Packaged  food  is  still  unavailable/unheard  to  the  many  hobbyists  who  keep  fish/aquarium  in  our  hinterland.

The  temple  ponds  teem  with  fish  fed  only  with  boiled  rice.  Thumb Up
coolbin81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:30 pm Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

I  had  posted  a  long  time  back  in  one  of  the  discussions  that  at  times  i  feed  my  severum  few  grains  of  boiled  rice.  It  seems  to  love  it,  and  in  fact  few  others  like  P  Socolofi  ,Venustus,  C  moori  all  seem  to  like  it.  As  stated  by  Nayak,  it  shouldn't  obviously  be  the  only  food  but  i  can  vouch  for  the  fact  that  there  are  no  ill-effects  of  this  habit  as  i  haven't  lost  a  fish  since  years  now.

It  might  seem  like  a  Malayali  trait   Thumb Up  ,  but  jokes  apart  some  of  the  fishes  in  the  temple  ponds  back  in  Kerala  as  well  seem  to  thrive  on  rice  (for  eg  Triprayar  temple  comes  to  the  top  of  my  mind).

Natives  or  not,  from  personal  experience  i  can  say  that  it  doesn't  harm  the  cichlids  for  sure.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:18 pm Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

I  myself  try  to  avoid  eating  boiled  rice.  And  I  do  not  feed  my  fish  boiled  rice.  

But  on  our  collection  trips  we  take  boiled  rice  on  which  the  fish  go  ga  ga.  And  temple  pond  fish  flourish  on  a  diet  of  boiled  rice.

Maybe  the  dyked  sacred  temple  ponds  have  flowing  waters  and  under  ground  streams.  But  for  whatever  reason  the  fish  in  these  semi  wild  conditions  go  crazy  on  rice  -  roasted  or  boiled.  Smile
pkattitude
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:28 pm Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

But  are  you  citing  these  articles  as  a  basis  for  high  protein  feeding  for  our  aquarium  fishes?  Say  for  Mbuna  might  be,  or  certain  pleco's.  One  of  the  highest  protein  source  developed  by  Hobbyist's  is  the  beef  heart  or  goat  heart  mix.  Do  you  recommend  this  food  as  a  high  protien  source?
 http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5738E/x5738e03.htm

No  I  am  not.  I  do  not  support  and  second  the  idea  of  fish  keepers  who  feed   beef  heart  or  goat  heart  mix.This  I  have  already  expressed  in  one  of  the  beef  heart  posts.  High  protein  has  to  be  the  right  protein,  and  not  just  high  protein.  I  have  given  the  sources  to  let  the  reader  evaluate  the  authenticity  of  the  information.  Also  I  have  concluded  by  saying  that  the  fishes  should  be  fed  things  that  are  natural  to  them.  So  I  am  not  supporting  just  "High  protein"  but  "Right  protein".

Cyprinids.  Can  you  please  substantiate  your  statement........."Different  fish  species  have  different  level  of  amylase  activity...  carps  usually  have  high  and  cichlids  seem  to  have  pretty  low".

As  you  have  rightly  found  and  already  mentioned  "There  are  large  differences  in  the  ability  of  different  species  of  fish  to  digest  feed  materials.  Fish  species  range  all  the  way  from  strict  herbivores  through  omnivores  to  carnivores."

Source:  http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5738E/x5738e03.htm

Degree  of  enzyme  activity  is  related  to  the  food  the  fish  eats.

Even  if  you  take  the  example  of  Cyprinids  the  amylase  activity  varies  by  the  feeding  habit  of  the  fish.  See  table  below:

Relative  Activity  Levels  of  Amylase  in  Selected  Cyprinids  (Kapoor  et  al.,  1975)

Fish                  Feeding  habit           Amylase  activity

Scardinius     herbivorous               1.0

Blicca               omnivorous               1.1

Alburus           omnivorous               1.0

Aspius            carnivorous               0.15

Cyprinus        omnivorous               5.8

Source:http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5738E/x5738e02.htm

Also  the  paper  "CIRCADIAN  RHYTHMS  OF  AMYLASE  ACTIVITY  IN  THREE  FISH  SPECIES  OF  THE  AMAZON"  mentions  
 "Amylase  activity  in  jaraqui  is  a  hundred  times  higher  than  observed  for  pacu  and  acará.  We  suppose  that  high  amylase  activity  in  jaraqui  is  an  adaptation  to  extract  high  energy  levels  from  detritus,  its  food  source."

Source:  http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/congress/2000/Papers/evolutionpdf/lopez-vasquez.pdf

Also,  there  are  hundreds  of  papers  on  amylase  activity  of  carps.  Seems  like  one  of  the  most  talked  about  topics.

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                

An  eye  opener  

Exclamation  

I  have  seen  people  feed  halwa  to  fishes(carps)  at  the  "Bangala  Sahib"  in  New  Delhi.

I  myself  have  fed  'paratha  and  puri'  to  catfishes  in  my  childhood.  We  had  a  pond  in  our  scho0l  and  it  was  full  of  catfishes.  Every  day  i  used  ti  give  half  my  tiffin  to  the  fishes  and  they  ate  it  religiously.  I  was  8  yrs  old  then

In  many  place  in  india  snakes  are  fed  milk  on  nag  panchami  religiously.  And  snake  charmers  regularly  feed  them  milk.

My  friends  grandfather  lived  till  92.  He  was  a  chain  smoker.

Can  I  say:  halwa  is  good  for  carps.  Paratha  and  puri  are  good  for  catfishes.  Snakes  should  be  fed  milk.  And  ciggerrate  has  no  effect  on  the  health  and  life  expectency  of  people.

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                

Phoren  cut  /  paste,  linkers  and  reference  boys.

I  would  take  that  as  a  compliment.   Very Happy   (Phoren  means  "instant"  or  a  twisted  form  of  "foreign"  ?  that  was  truly  amazing  though)

A  few  grains  of  rice  here  and  there  are  not  going  to  make  a  difference.  And  I  am  not  trying  to  say  that  rice  is  poison  for  fishes.  All  i  am  trying  to  say  is  that  if  possible  fishes  should  be  kept  on  a  diet  that  is  natural  to  what  they  will  get  in  the  wild.

And  a  debate  is  the  last  thing  i  wanna  start  here.  I  was  just  expressing  my  opinion.Everyone  is  free  to  feed  his/her  fish  whatever  he/she  wants---  that's  how  this  hobby  grows.

And  friends  personally  I  feel  that  'Rice  with  fish'  is  better  than  'rice  for  fish'.  This  fish  and  rice  thing  has  made  me  start  craving  for  fish  and  rice.  And  i  tell  you,  gurgaon  is  seriously  devoid  of  nice  'bengali  style  fish  and  rice'  joints.  Crying or Very sad   
   Crying or Very sad
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:41 pm Post subject: Re: Boiled rice for cichlids Reply with quote

the  fishes  near  temples  are  not  thriving  because  of  the  boiled  rice  that  they  are  getting

they  are  living  in  their  natural  environment,  the  thing  that  happens  there  is  other  than  the  regular  diet  they  get  in  their  environment,  they  also  get  the  snack  from  the  care  takers  there

i  have  seen  human  intervention  in  many  places,  like  how  the  golden  mahseers  considered  endangered  are  fed  the  prasadam  near  one  of  the  temples  in  the  north,  then  there  is  the  angling  resort  at  bheemeshvari  for  the  tor  tor(golden  mahseer,  what  do  u  think  they  feed  here,  riice  again,  the  many  grass  carps  at  ranganthittu  that  receive  pop  corn,  the  fish  are  always  waiting  eagerly  for  the  onlookers  to  spare  some  snacks  they  are  eating.

so  all  in  all  boiled  rice  although  is  an  acceptable  food,  should  not  be  the  only  food,  may  be  thats  the  only  thing  that  is  being  reiterated  over  here.

fishes  live  in  rivers  where  people  dump  whatever  they  feel  like  and  fish  have  always  eaten  whatever  they  get  in  the  wild,  from  boiled  rice  to  rotting  corpses.

BTW  there  is  one  more  shocker  over  here,  what  do  u  think  the  people  who  farm  food  fish  feed  there  fish  in  lakes  and  ponds????????  Very Happy
 one  of  the  farm  owners  near  mysore  grows  katla,  thotha,  and  the  other  carps,  the  regular  feed  they  dump  once  in  a  while  is  loads  of  cow  dung,   Very Happy
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Food All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: