194. Guest
195. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,805

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Need Advice on new Tank and costs
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Need Advice on new Tank and costs

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Other Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jones1978
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:12 pm Post subject: Need Advice on new Tank and costs Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,  
 I  have  been  spending  quite  sometime  on  this  forum  gathering  info.  It's  great  to  see  so  active  people  on  this  forum.  

Well  I  have  had  aquariums  since  school  days  then  somewhere  after  college  after  my  tank  cracked  I  did  not  return  to  the  hobby.  

But  about  three  weeks  back  I  got  a  used  tank  from  my  brother-in-law,  who  wanted  to  give  it  away  (30'  x  15'  x  18'),  unfortunately  after  setting  up  the  tank  I  did  a  really  stupid  mistake  of  putting  a  live  earthworm   Surprised   and  my  current  non-aggressive  group  of  fishes  didn't  bother  it  and  it  nicely  sneaked  into  the  gravel.  I  had  to  remove  it  and  the  only  way  was  to  get  everything  (including  the  fishes  out)  and  since  i  had  to  move  the  tank  slightly  (as  it  was  slightly  unleveled)  I  thought  this  would  be  a  good  opportunity.  to  cut  the  the  story  short  I  did,  and  after  resetting  it,  i  have  noticed  a  very  minor  leak  (probably  at  the  bottom,  cause  the  sides  seem  to  be  fine).  

1.  Looks  like  I  will  have  to  get  a  new  tank,  I  am  probably  looking  at  4ft  x  1.5ft  x  2ft  with  12mm  or  3ft  x  1.5ft  x  2ft  with  8mm.  at  kurla  on  shop  is  offering  the  4  footer  for  XXXX  and  3  footer  for  XXXX.  I  need  to  know  if  these  are  reasonable  rates  or  they  are  quoting  high??  or  where  else  should  I  look.  ?  which  one  do  you'll  suggest  4  footer  or  3...am  having  a  hard  time  making  up  my  mind  (though  I  more  inclined  to  the  tree  footer)!

2.  Is  there  anything  I  need  to  be  aware  of  while  getting  the  4  footer  made,  what  are  these  braces  people  keep  talking  about?  sorry  for  my  ignorance  

3.  where  will  i  get  a  tank  stand?  what  should  be  the  approximate  cost.

4.  I  have  a  sobo  internal  filter  1000f,  is  that  good  enough  for  the  4  footer?

5.  I  have  small  size  gravel  as  of  now,  what  substrate  is  best,  I  have  a  planted  tank,  the  kurla  shop  guy  suggested  some  soil(can't  exactly  remember  what  soil),  he  said  it  would  be  XXX  for  10  kg,  is  that  the  correct  soil  for  planted  tanks  (what  is  it  called,  specific  brand?

I  know  these  might  be  too  many  questions,  just  want  to  get  it  right.  Thanks.

Jonah.

P.S.  I  will  be  put  my  details  about  my  tank  in  the  self-intro  little  later,  am  just  rushing  to  crawford  market  to  check  the  prices  there.  thanks.  (the  leak  is  kinda  worrying,  though  it  very  minor  now,  I  don't  want  to  take  chances  Sad  )

Moderator:  Please  keep  price  discussion  off  the  forum  through  PM,  thanks.
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:32 pm Post subject: Re: Need Advice on new Tank and costs Reply with quote

if  its  just  a  minor  leak  why  dont  u  just  resilicone  it.  a  new  tank  will  work  out  a  heck  of  a  lot  more  than  just  patching  it  up.

personally,  if  your  doin  a  8mm  tank  your  gonna  have  problems  transporting  the  damn  thing.  my  56  is  made  from  8mm  and  god  it  was  heavy.  i  paid  3k  for  it.  a  custom  build.

braces:  have  u  noticed  how  larger  tanks  have  a  piece  of  glass  that  runs  along  the  front  and  the  back  and  sometime  in  the  middle?  thats  a  brace.  its  used  to  increase  the  structural  itergirty  of  the  tank.

stands:  most  shops  who  sell  standard  size  tanks  will  sell  standard  sized  tables.  costing  changes  from  from  size  to  places  u  buy  them  from.  my  tank  was  built  to  the  size  of  an  existing  table.

Filter:  idealy  your  looking  at  a  turn  rate  of  min  5x  the  time  of  your  tank.  for  example:  in  a  10gl  tank  i  would  use  a  filter  that  will  turn  water  at  the  rate  of  50gl/per  hour.  

Soil:  most  people  use  good  quality  laterite  as  a  base  subtrate  and  fine  river  sand  on  the  top.  you  also  have  branded  names  like  ADA  etc  etc.  a  lotta  people  here  use  the  laterite  method.

hope  this  helps.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:49 pm Post subject: Re: Need Advice on new Tank and costs Reply with quote

Would  also  advise  you  to  restict  the  height  to  1.5  feet  instead  of  the  planned  2  feet.  That  way  T5  lights  would  be  sufficient  to  penetrate  to  the  plants  at  the  bottom  otherwise  you  will  need  Metal  Halides.
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: Need Advice on new Tank and costs Reply with quote

Like  yuo,  even  i  was  in  a  fix  of  deciding  between  a  3   and  a  4  footer.
 Eventually  settled  with  3'  considering  the  work  involved  should  your  tank  turn  into  algae's  homeland.  Thats  what  was  suggested  by  the  fellow  hobbyist  whom  i  knew.

I  second  Mortis  about  the  tank's  height.

I  am  guessing  the  name  of  the  soil  would  be  'contra  soi'.  I  am  not  the  best  person  to  suggest  which  soil  you  should  go  for  but  from  whatever  i  have  read,  beginners  should  stay  away  fro  mlaterite  soil  for  frequent  planting  and  unplanting  would  create  a  mess.

Nuterient  rich  soil  like  ADA  works  best  for  plants  if  injecting  CO2.

Hope  this  helps  atleast  until  experts  present  their  views.

Good  luck.
jones1978
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: Need Advice on new Tank and costs Reply with quote

Hey  thanks  guys  for  your  replies..really  appreciate  it
 well,  after  leaking  to  a  particular  level  it  isn't  leaking  as  of  now,  but  I  am  not  too  sure,  so  I  am  just  going  to  wait  and  see,  have  marked  the  water  level  for  now..  anyway,  I  do  intend  to  upgrade  the  tank  maybe  in  a  few  days  (if  this  isn't  leaking  now).

@zakk  ...how  would  know  the  turn  rate  of  the  filter,  is  it  mentioned  on  the  box?  about  the  soil  the  LFS  (for  me  its  kurla   Smile   )suggested  the  same  thing  laterite  and  the  over  that  river  sand.

@Mortis,  will  go  with  what  you  suggested  for  the  height  of  the  tank  while  going  for  the  new  one..As  of  now  I  using  the  36w  daylight  CFL  bulb,  and  fortunately  the  plants  seems  to  be  doing  okay,  but  it  might  be  a  little  early  to  say..  at  least  from  my  past  experience  i  have  had  decent  plant  growth  with  a  simple  PL  table  lamp  (no  special  substrates  or  lighting)..so  this  sometimes  get  confusing  what  all  the  talk  about  T5's  and  halides,  maybe  it's  just  like  putting  the  plant  on  steriods  :)

@jack86  though  I  might  not  mind  settling  for  the  3  footer,  my  mind  is  little  to  bent  toward  the  4  footer,  and  yes  I  am  inject  DIY  CO2.  I  have  been  seeing  a  log  of  mention  of  ADA,  sound  promising!  I  don't  intend  to  do  frequent  uprooting  and  replanting,  so  I  guess  the  laterite  and  river  sand  might  be  work  for  me.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:49 pm Post subject: Re: Need Advice on new Tank and costs Reply with quote

Depends  on  what  you  want  from  your  tank.  If  you  want  fast  growth  and  high  light  plants,  you  will  need  more  light  +  CO2  injection  +  liquid  ferts  also.  All  of  this  needs  to  be  in  balance  otherwise  you  will  only  succeed  in  growing  algae.  Do  not  think  that  substrate  with  fertilizer  layer  is  enough,  you  will  still  need  to  add  ferts  to  the  water  column.  

Filters  :  Yes,  usually  the  flow  rate  is  mentioned  on  the  box.  For  a  med-high  tech  tank  with  stuff  mentioned  above,  aim  for  5-  10  times  tank  volume  turnover  per  hour.  However  you  should  also  keep  in  mind  that  the  flow  should  be  such  that  it  covers  as  much  of  the  tank  as  possible  to  evenly  spread  out  CO2  and  nutrients  to  all  the  plants.  

e.g.  :  You  have  a  100L  tank.  Desired  flow  is  1000L/  Hr.  You  could  get  1  x  1000  LPH  filter  or  you  could  get  2  x  500  LPH  filters  and  position  1  at  the  back  left  corner  and  one  in  the  front  right  corner,  thus  ensuring  flow  in  a  circular  manner  around  the  tank.

Let  us  know  what  you  plan  and  if  there  are  any  limitations  budget  wise  and  if  you  are  getting  CO2  which  is  a  MUST  in  med/high  light  tanks.
 Take  your  time  and  do  your  research  and  post  your  ideas  here  so  we  can  help  you  now  BEFORE  you  make  any  mistakes.  Will  save  you  a  lot  of  headaches  in  the  future.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Other Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: