216. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,772

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Thai Fairy Shrimps
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Thai Fairy Shrimps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Food
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquaking
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:47 pm Post subject: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

I  am  planning  to  raise  the  Thai  Fairy  shrimps  in  large  concrete  tanks  and  harvest  the  small  ones  to  feed  my  fishes.   

Experienced  members  please  give  me  your  valuable  suggestions.
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:10 pm Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

Would  be  a  great  live-food  for  your  fishes  for  sure,  if  you're  successful  in  breeding  them  in  large  quantities.  It  will  be  even  greater  if  you  can  do  a  little  research  and  gut-load  them  before  feeding  to  the  fish.

May  be  if  you're  really  very  successful,  you  can  supply  /  sell  packets  of  live  /  frozen  food  to  the  hobbyists  and  shops  -  just  a  wild  suggestion   Thumb Up
aquaking
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:35 pm Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

Fairy  shrimps  are  similar  to  brine  shrimps  except  they  are  fresh  water  crustaceans.

I  am  just  a  hobbyist  may  be  in  future  in  next  5  or  10  years  I  will  think  about  starting  a  Fairy  shrimp  farm.
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:45 pm Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

That  will  be  great  !  Wishing  you  all  the  best  for  the  future,  Friend   Thumb Up
cdsravi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:04 pm Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

AQUA,  I  heard  fairy  shrimps  are  costlier  compare  with  brinshrimp  ,  but  very  easy  to  hatch  .  now  decapsulated  artimia  eggs  are  available  .  its  also  easy  to  hatch,  and  compatative  in  rates
aquaking
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

Thanx  for  your  suggestions.  The  main  reason  I  plan  to  use  fairy  shrimps  is  becoz  it  is  a  freshwater  shrimp  and  I  can  harvest  them  whenever  I  want  whereas  brine  shrimps  I  have  to  spend  my  time  daily  on  hatching  and  cleaning.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:47 am Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

I  had  a  similar  thread  to  this  a  while  ago.  The  proble  with  Fairy  shrimps  is  that  they  only  produce  cysts  and  do  not  produce  live  young  as  far  as  I  know.  It  would  therefore  be  hard  to  have  a  self  sustaining  culture  as  the  cysts  need  to  go  through  a  drying  out  procedure.  I  also  think  the  drying  out  needs  to  be  done  more  than  once

Best  of  luck  anyways.  See  how  it  goes  and  if  you  can  find  some  conditions  to  vary  that  will  result  in  them  producing  live  young
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:00 am Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

Here  is  a  thread.
 Fairy  shrimp
aquaking
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:36 pm Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

Oh  thanks  Trevor
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:55 pm Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

Lol  thats  the  one  I  was  talking  about.  Didnt  get  around  to  doing  a  large  scale  thing.  It  seems  that  I  am  unable  to  culture  green  water  !!  I  took  a  10  gallon  tank,  filled  it  up  with  water,  added  loads  of  fertilizer  in  it,  ammonia,  etc  and  only  managed  to  get  some  gren  spot  algae  on  the  glass.  I  kept  it  in  an  east  facing  window  with  a  PL  tube  also,  no  luck.  Tried  several  other  methods  and  the  best  I  could  manage  was  was  slightly  green  water.  Added  cyts  to  those,  didnt  hatch.  Hatched  cysts  in  a  bottle  and  added  it  to  a  tank  and  only  20  or  so  made  it  to  adulthood.  Gave  up  on  them  then  and  fed  the  few  live  guys  to  my  fishies.  There  always  sems  to  be  daphnia  cysts  with  the  Fairy  shrimp  though  and  these  guys  do  decently.  Just  wish  I  could  sustain  a  culture  of  green  water  :)

EDIT  :  What  kind  of  a  vessel  are  you  planning  on  using  ?  I  suggest  using  something  long,  wide  and  shallow  with  not  more  than  3-4  inches  of  water.  If  you  are  realy  serious  about  this  then  you  can  make  a  tank  out  of  acrylic  sheets  just  for  this  purpose.  In  case  they  do  not  produce  live  young  then  atleast  you  can  dry  out  the  tank  if  the  water  is  shallow  so  that  you  can  collect  cysts  from  the  bottom.  Dry  these  completely  and  divide  into  batches.  Test  them  with  1  wet/dry  cycle,  2  wet  dry  cycles  and  3  wet/dry  cycles  in  order  to  determine  how  many  "seasons"  the  cysts  need  to  go  through  to  hatch.  Also  when  you  dry  them,  allsow  them  to  rest  for  atleast  a  week  or  2  in  the  dry  state.

What  are  you  planning  on  feeding  ?  The  shrimp  usually  come  with  sachets  of  some  algae  (i  think  chlorella)  and  some  grain  flour  mixture.
 If  you  are  using  spirulina  from  himalaya  capsules  then  these  have  large  particle  size  and  do  not  mix  easily  with  water.  You  can  put  these  in   a  masala  grinder  with  some  atta  or  unpolished  rice  and  grind  it  till  it  is  very  fine  and  then  feed  this.
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:17 am Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

why  dont  u  use  some  easy-to-breed  shrimp  that  don't  need  this  drying--up  before  they  hatch?  one  example  is  cherry  red  shrimps.  i  had  some  ordinary  shrimp  from  yamuna  river  in  delhi  and  they  were  breeding  easily...............  i  could  see  little  young  shrimps  shaped  exactly  like  adults  but  very  small  swimming  about.  
 my  fish  used  to  polish  them  off,  i  didnt  have  separate  tank  for  breeding  shrimp  then.  

i  will  get  them  again  and  breed  them  in  plastic  tubs  in  a  shady  balcony  next  time.
djmankotia
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:33 am Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

Romi  wrote  (View  Post):                
why  dont  u  use  some  easy-to-breed  shrimp  that  don't  need  this  drying--up  before  they  hatch?  one  example  is  cherry  red  shrimps.  i  had  some  ordinary  shrimp  from  yamuna  river  in  delhi  and  they  were  breeding  easily...............  i  could  see  little  young  shrimps  shaped  exactly  like  adults  but  very  small  swimming  about.  
 my  fish  used  to  polish  them  off,  i  didnt  have  separate  tank  for  breeding  shrimp  then.  

i  will  get  them  again  and  breed  them  in  plastic  tubs  in  a  shady  balcony  next  time.                

The  size  of  Fairy  Shrimp  naupli  (the  young  ones)  is  very  very  small,  hence  ideal  for  fry  to  feed  on.  I  wonder  if  the  size  of  young  shrimp  from  Yamuna  would  be  comparable  to  the  size   of  Fairy  Shrimp  naupli.
Ashwin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:59 am Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

I  have  started  raising  Fairy  shrimp,  i  can  tell  some  things  about  it.

1.  Multiplication  rate  is  too  slow

2.  Size  of  the  young  is  too  large  compared  to  Artemia,  even  an  adult  Fairy  is  larger  than  adult  artemia.

3.  It  is  probably  a  good  feed  for  adults

4.  For  5  number  to  turn  15  it  took  2  months,  fortunately  i  can  see  some  young  ones  now.

5.  It  is  probably  to  do  with  resting  eggs  need  some  time  to  hatch.
Mohammed Mudassir
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:50 am Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

i  myself  had  collected  a  few  of  them  on  one  of  my  collection  trips  recently(about  50),
 the  only  problem  with  these  guys  is  we  have  to  dry  the  cysts,  re-wet  them  and  hatch  them,
 the  cysts  should  be  dried  for  atleast  4  days  before  being  re-wetted,  re  wetting  them  before  4  days  gave  a  bad  hatch  rate
 the  ones  i  collected  had  released  lotsa  eggs(the  eggs  are  the  size  of  brine  shrimp  eggs)  and  they  settled  at  the  bottom  of  the  tank,  harvested  them  along  with  the  muck  and  dried  them  for  almost  a  week,  then  i  re-wetted  them  by  putting  them  back  in  the  tank  and  after  about  30   hrs  they  started  to  hatch  slowly  and  by  the  time  it  was  48hrs  alomst  all  the  cycts  appeared  to  have  hatched,  they  were  smaller  than   BBS  after  hatching  but  grew  rapidly,  in  almost  a  week  they  had  reached  adult  size,  after  15  days  i  could  see  the  female  carrying  eggs  and  the  sex  ratio  i  got  was  1:10(M:F),   from  what  i  observed  everything  depends  on  the  environment  they  are  kept  in,  in  my  friends  tank  they  had  reached  maturity(started  breeding)  after  11  days  whereas  mine  took  15,
 these  guys  are  best  kept  in  BB  tanks  with  a  tank  temp  of  26C,  thats  the  temp  when  i  observed  all  my  females  were  carrying  eggs  whereas  on  a  higher  temperature  i  could  see  only  a  few  of  them  carrying.

even  if  not  being  bred  as  fish  food  they  are  fun  to  watch,  they  look  more  like  creatures  from  the  ancient  times,

P.S-i  had  to  go  out  of  town  for  sometime,  after  returning  back  i  saw  that  the  culture  had  crashed(due  to  overfeeding  by  my  lil  bro)
Ashwin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:39 am Post subject: Re: Thai Fairy Shrimps Reply with quote

Ok.....  i  have  not  fine  tune  the  breeding  program.  I  want  have  sufficient  population  before  i  start  playing  around.

Just  wanted  to  know  how  you  sepearated  the  eggs  from  the  muck?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Food All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: