33. Guest
34. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,627

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnysinha
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:18 am Post subject: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached) Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,  
 I  am  planning  to  purchase  a  new  tank  of  36X18X18  on  this  Friday.  It  will  be  a  planted  tank.  
 I  am  little  bit  confused  about  few  things:
 1)  Which  substrate  (  low  cost  )  to  be  added  in  what  quantity.  Right  now  I  am  planning  to  use  laterite.  But  don't  know  how  much  laterite  I  would  need.  
 2)  What  other  things  I  can  add  with  laterite,  for  substrate  and  in  what  quantity.  
 3)  I  dont  want  to  invest  in  CO2  equipment  as  of  now,  so  which  plants  will  be  suitable  with  low  CO2/  DIY  CO2.  
 4)  I  am  planning  to  go  with  Eco  LED  Accent  light  from  Indiapetstore.com  and  3  Feet  T5  Electronic  Fluorescent  Lighting  &  Fittings.  Whats  the  exact  wattage  for  it.  I  dont  know  as  of  now.  So  will  I  need  some  other  lights  there.  
 5)  What  other  equipments  I  will  need  for  my  tank.  As  of  now  I  have  a  filter,  airstone,  7-8  kgs  white  small  gravels,  5-6  rocks,  10  fishes.  Minnows,  Gouramis,  Mollies  in  my  previous  tank.  

There  is  a  price  constraint  with  the  tank.  I  dont  want  to  invest  huge  amount  in  starting.  I  may  go  with  other  equipment  after  5-6  months.  Plz  guide  friends
sunnysinha
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:36 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached) Reply with quote

Any  suggestions  ??
SuPro
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:04 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached) Reply with quote

HI,

Laterite  at  bottom  &  soilarite  at  top  would  be  a  nice  option.  White  small  gravels  can  also  be  use  as  the  top  layer.  I  don't  know  much  ab't  the  mixing  ratio  of  the  substrate  ..so  wait  for  the  experts  opinion.

The  equipments  from  your  previous  tank  can  be  used.  What  type  of  filter  do  u  've  ..  apart  from  ug  filter  u  can  use  any  filter  u  want  in  planted  tanks.

Don't  add  fish  at  least  for  2  week.  

Search  for  easy  grown  plants  in  google.  Anubias,  pygmy  chain  sword,  etc  r  few  options.
sunnysinha
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:15 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached) Reply with quote

Any  suggestions  on  the  right  ratio  of  laterite,  vermiculite,  soil  rite  and  garden  soil.  Plz  guide  asap.  
 Going  to  set  my  substrate  today  itself,  plz  help.  

Final  Tank  size  purchased  is  36X  15X  18.  (L,B,H)
 So  how  many  kgs  of  each  substrate  material  will  be  required,  I  have  a  top  gravels  of  small  sizes,  I  think  they  are  arround  7-8  kgs.  

Prompt  reply  will  help  me  a  lot.
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:11 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached) Reply with quote

i  guess  you  would  need  around  8-9  kgs  of  laterite..you  have  to  cover  the  bottom  only  with  it,so  even  if  you  are  short  of  it,it  wont  pose  a  problem  for  you..only  a  thin  layer  would  do..
 regarding  mixing  of  substrate,my  ideal  choice  would  be  peat  plates  on  bottom,then  laterite,fondo  vivo  and  finally  some   coarse  gravel..
 since  you  aren't  interested  in  a  pressurised  setup,  go  for  diy  co2.  the  only  hassle  you  would  face  with  it  is  that  you  have
 to  change  the  solution  every  7-10  days..
 light   -  not  an  expert  on  it..some  say  2-3  watt  per  gallon  is  the  ideal  choice..wait  for  the  experts  to  comment  what
 lights  you  could  buy..
 regarding  the  choice  of  plants,you  can  start  off  with  hardy  species  like  anubias,cryptocornye,amazon,lily..and  then  when  
 you  gain  confidence,go  for  some  advance  plants  like  glosso,cuba..
 ...you  can  keep  gouramis  in  a  planted  tank..along  with  other  fishes  which  you  mentioned..
 best  of  luck  dude   Thumb Up
sunnysinha
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:07 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached) Reply with quote

Got  Peat,  Soilrite,  Vermiculite,  Perlite  at  unbelievable  cheap  cost.  
 So  my  idea  is  
 1)  Place  2  cm  layer  of  peat  at  bottom  most  level.
 2)  Above  peat  layer,  a  mixture  of  vermiculite,  perlite  and  Soilrite  is  to  be  placed.  in  ratio  of  1:3/1:3/1:3.  This  layer  will  be  an  inch  layer.  
 3)  Will  buy  and  place  laterite  over  the  mixture  of  vermiculite,perlite  and  soilrite.  This  layer  will  be  of  1  cm.  
 4)  Normal  smaller  gravels  will  be  placed  at  top  most  level  of  the  substrate.  

I  am  just  a  beginner,  If  I  am  wrong,  kindly  suggest  me  what  else  thing  I  should  go  with.  

@  Hrishi  -  Thanks  a  ton  for  your  valuable  suggestions  bro,  just  got  peat  after  your  suggestion.  Cant  get  fondo  vivo,  here  in  delhi.  

All  suggestions  are  very  crucial  in  making  my  dream  tank.  Will  upload  the  pictures  on  this  sunday.
sunnysinha
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:12 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached) Reply with quote

@  Hrishi-  

I  am  planning  to  grow  Vallisneria  spiralis,  dwarf  sagittaria,  Elatine  Traindra,  Cryptocoryne  wenditti,  Glossostigma.  
 Got  to  know  that  they  need  no/  very  low  CO2.  
 I  have  also  fixed  lighting  system  as  36  PLL  X  3  for  this  tank  and  with  this  plants.  Hope  it  will  work  fine.
sunnysinha
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:13 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached) Reply with quote

No  suggestions  ???  
 Kindly  help  me  out  friends
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:51 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached) Reply with quote

you  are  most  welcome  dude   Thumb Up  
 glosso  is  a  tough  plant  to  grow..its  needs  lots  of  light,a  fertile  substrate  and  of  course  co2..lots  of  it..dont  be  tempted  and  buy  it  because  you  need  to  do  study  its  requirements  first  and  then  go  ahead..apart  from  that,i  guess  all  other  plants  you  have  mentioned  would  grow  perfectly  in  your  tank  without  the  addition  of  co2...
 best  of  luck..  Thumb Up  keep  us  updated..
sunnysinha
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:30 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached) Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad   Sad   Sad  
 Perlite    my  substrate  ...  
 I  added  2  kgs  peat,  then  2  kgs  of  soilrite.  Then  a  mixture  of  perlite  1KG  and  vermiculite  1  Kg.  After  that  I  have  added  15  kgs  of  small  gravels.  
 But  perlite  is  the  worst  thing  I  have  added  in  my  tank.  
 It's  small  white  particles  are  not  settling  down  and  making  water  very  cloudy.  
 So  finally  emptied  my  tank.  cleaned  gravels.  Put  all  rest  substrate  kind  material  in  bucket.  Now  can  I  use  this  material,  which  is  full  of  perlite,  and  it  seems  that  its  very  hard  to  take  it  out  of  it.  
 Help  me  out
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: