Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:18 am Post subject: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached)
I am planning to purchase a new tank of 36X18X18 on this Friday. It will be a planted tank.
I am little bit confused about few things:
1) Which substrate ( low cost ) to be added in what quantity. Right now I am planning to use laterite. But don't know how much laterite I would need.
2) What other things I can add with laterite, for substrate and in what quantity.
3) I dont want to invest in CO2 equipment as of now, so which plants will be suitable with low CO2/ DIY CO2.
4) I am planning to go with Eco LED Accent light from Indiapetstore.com and 3 Feet T5 Electronic Fluorescent Lighting & Fittings. Whats the exact wattage for it. I dont know as of now. So will I need some other lights there.
5) What other equipments I will need for my tank. As of now I have a filter, airstone, 7-8 kgs white small gravels, 5-6 rocks, 10 fishes. Minnows, Gouramis, Mollies in my previous tank.
There is a price constraint with the tank. I dont want to invest huge amount in starting. I may go with other equipment after 5-6 months. Plz guide friends
Joined: Aug 26, 2009 Posts: 664 Location: Guwahati (Assam)
Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:04 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached)
Laterite at bottom & soilarite at top would be a nice option. White small gravels can also be use as the top layer. I don't know much ab't the mixing ratio of the substrate ..so wait for the experts opinion.
The equipments from your previous tank can be used. What type of filter do u 've .. apart from ug filter u can use any filter u want in planted tanks.
Don't add fish at least for 2 week.
Search for easy grown plants in google. Anubias, pygmy chain sword, etc r few options.
Joined: Jan 31, 2009 Posts: 2521 Location: New Delhi
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:11 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached)
i guess you would need around 8-9 kgs of laterite..you have to cover the bottom only with it,so even if you are short of it,it wont pose a problem for you..only a thin layer would do..
regarding mixing of substrate,my ideal choice would be peat plates on bottom,then laterite,fondo vivo and finally some coarse gravel..
since you aren't interested in a pressurised setup, go for diy co2. the only hassle you would face with it is that you have
to change the solution every 7-10 days..
light - not an expert on it..some say 2-3 watt per gallon is the ideal choice..wait for the experts to comment what
lights you could buy..
regarding the choice of plants,you can start off with hardy species like anubias,cryptocornye,amazon,lily..and then when
you gain confidence,go for some advance plants like glosso,cuba..
...you can keep gouramis in a planted tank..along with other fishes which you mentioned..
best of luck dude
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:07 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached)
Got Peat, Soilrite, Vermiculite, Perlite at unbelievable cheap cost.
So my idea is
1) Place 2 cm layer of peat at bottom most level.
2) Above peat layer, a mixture of vermiculite, perlite and Soilrite is to be placed. in ratio of 1:3/1:3/1:3. This layer will be an inch layer.
3) Will buy and place laterite over the mixture of vermiculite,perlite and soilrite. This layer will be of 1 cm.
4) Normal smaller gravels will be placed at top most level of the substrate.
I am just a beginner, If I am wrong, kindly suggest me what else thing I should go with.
@ Hrishi - Thanks a ton for your valuable suggestions bro, just got peat after your suggestion. Cant get fondo vivo, here in delhi.
All suggestions are very crucial in making my dream tank. Will upload the pictures on this sunday.
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:12 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached)
I am planning to grow Vallisneria spiralis, dwarf sagittaria, Elatine Traindra, Cryptocoryne wenditti, Glossostigma.
Got to know that they need no/ very low CO2.
I have also fixed lighting system as 36 PLL X 3 for this tank and with this plants. Hope it will work fine.
Joined: Jan 31, 2009 Posts: 2521 Location: New Delhi
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:51 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached)
you are most welcome dude
glosso is a tough plant to grow..its needs lots of light,a fertile substrate and of course co2..lots of it..dont be tempted and buy it because you need to do study its requirements first and then go ahead..apart from that,i guess all other plants you have mentioned would grow perfectly in your tank without the addition of co2...
best of luck.. keep us updated..
Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:30 am Post subject: Re: Setting up a new planted tank. (Plant pic Attached)
Perlite my substrate ...
I added 2 kgs peat, then 2 kgs of soilrite. Then a mixture of perlite 1KG and vermiculite 1 Kg. After that I have added 15 kgs of small gravels.
But perlite is the worst thing I have added in my tank.
It's small white particles are not settling down and making water very cloudy.
So finally emptied my tank. cleaned gravels. Put all rest substrate kind material in bucket. Now can I use this material, which is full of perlite, and it seems that its very hard to take it out of it.
Help me out
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum