42. Guest
43. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,740

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Setting up Oscar Tank..
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Setting up Oscar Tank..
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betta
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:52 pm Post subject: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

Wanted  to  have  an  aquarium  in  my  new  chennai  flat  n  decided  to  go  with  Oscars     Smile  

I  am  not  new  to  fishes,  but  I  am  new  to  Oscars.  Planning  for  one  or  two  pairs  of  small  /  medium  size  to  start  with.

I  need  advice  on  everything...tank  size,  substrate,  fish,  filtration,  best  LFS  and  anything  you  would  think  of  when  planning  to  set  an  Oscar  tank.   Smile  

Time  for  experts  to  talk  ;)

Gokul
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:42 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

You've  taken  a  good  decision.  Oscars  are  very  good  pets.  They  have  hard  personality.  They  become  familiar  with  the  masters  who  are  feeding  them.  Once  they  are  familiar  with  you,  you  can  feed  them  by  your  hands.  Oscars  grow  up  very  fast.  So  you  need  a  very  large  tank,  minimum  55  gallons.  Oscars  are  very  hardy  &  messy  fishes,  you  have  to  go  with  a  good  filtration  system.  A  top  filter  will  do  the  work  properly.  You  need  a  dark  substrate  with  hiding  place  like  caves  or  rocks.  Smile   
    At  first  you  can  start  with  4  Oscars.  2  albino  &  2  copper  or  tiger.  Their  tank  mates  are  few.  Pleco,  Iridescent  Sharks,   some  other  cichlids,  etc  are  some  of  the  tank  mates.  The  tank  should  have  a  bright  background.  You  just  put  the  substrate  in  a  sliding  way  from  back  to  front.  And  then  leave  it  to  the  fishes,  they  will  create  their  own  environment.  Shocked  
    A  heater  is  must,  keep  the  temp.  at  28  degree  Celsius.  For  information  about  PH  levels  just  visit  websites  about  oscars.  One  of  the  website  is  :-  http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Oscar.htm
      Don't  think  of  keeping  live  plants  in  the  tank  otherwise  this  fellows  will  uproot  the  plants.  And  don't  be  surprised  to  see  big  holes  in  the  substrate.

Feed  them  shrimps,  blood  worms,  Cichlid  pellets.  Just  don  feed  them  live  fishes  or  there  will  be  'hole  in  the  head'.  Do  25%  twice  a  week.  You  can  feed  shrimps  half  boiled  or  raw.  But  half  boiled  is  better.   
 Once  you  set  up  the  tank  you  will  surely  enjoy  the  set  up.  After  you  have  finished  the  setup,  please  post  pics.  Thumbs Up   Thumbs Up     Smile   Smile     Cheer Up   Cheer Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:02 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

Hi  Betta,

For  advice  needed  from  the  very  basic,  please  visit  this  site:  http://www.firsttankguide.net/oscar.php

I  too  have  a  question  which  will  be  relevant  to  this  discussion  and  hopefully  will  not  hijack  Betta's  thread.

1.  What  are  the  different  types  of  Oscars?  (Tiger,  Copper,  etc..)
 2.  How  exactly  to  differentiate  between  them?
 3.  Which  strains  are  "premium"  compared  to  other  Oscar  strains?

Cheers,
 Sid
Betta
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:05 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

Thanks  bro..   Thumb Up  

The  character  is  the  main  reason  I  am  going  for  Oscars   Smile  

*  55  gal  >  can  u  gimme  the  dimensions  pls?  I  will  get  it  done  from  some  LFS  here
 *  Top  filters  >  some  models  pls,  so  that  I  can  get  an  idea  on  them
 *  Substrate  >  chips  n  gravel  kind  or  fine  sand  kind?
 *  Do  I  really  need  a  heater  in  chennai  ?     Shocked  
 *  'hole  in  the  head'  ????

By  the  way,  do  they  jump?
Betta
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:12 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

Cool  link  Sid,  thank  ya   Smile
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:38 am Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

@Titash
 How  many  oscars  have  you  kept  mate?Can  you  please  list  some  advantages  of  some  of  the  advise  you  have  given...a  55  gallon  tank  for  4  oscars?Top  filter?Sloping  substrate?Sharks  as  tank  mates????Would  advise  you  to  read  up  a  little  more  about  them  before  you  advise  people.Sorry  if  am  rude.

@Betta  (you  not  the  original  betta  are  you   Very Happy  )
 Oscars  are  seriously  misunderstood  fish  and  the  biggest  reason  that  attracted  me  towards  them.I  have  been  keeping  them  for  nearly  8  years  now  and  i  dont  think  i  will  ever  have  a  tank  without  oscars.Biggest  rule  for  oscars...get  the  biggest  tank  as  possible..a  4  foot  at  the  very  least..5  footer  even  better..and  invest  in  the  best  filter  you  can  go  in  for.Cannister  would  be  ideal  otherwise  one  or  two  very  large  capacity  internal  filters.(i  had  2  cannisters  running  when  i  had  4  oscars  in  a  4  footer!)Go  in  for  neutral  sand  and  make  sure  it  has  no  sharp  edges  as  would  also  the  rocks  and  wood  or  anything  you  would  keep  in  them.dont  bother  sloping  the  substrate  or  anything..no  matter  what  you  do  they  will  do  it  better.Heater  should  be  kept  at  28  though  i  use  a  heater  in  only  the  coldest  months.Dont  tinker  with  the  water  chemistry  if  you  dont  know  what  you  are  doing.they  adapt  to  most  waters  easily.Dont  feed  them  worms  of  anykind  live  or  frozen.U  can  feed  them  well  cleant  pieces  of  meat  and  prawns  but  only  when  you  sure  you  can  handle  one  big  water  change  a  week.Otherwise  stick  to  pellets.I  find  the  Hikari  range  of  cichlid  food  really  good.I  dont  know  where  you  stay  so  cant  advice  you  where  to  pick  them  up  from.And  yes  they  do  jump.Hole  in  the  head  is  where  they  develop  small  pits  around  their  head  as  a  result  of  bacterial  infection  which  is  usually  due  to  poor  water  quality  and  poor  diet.
 My  advise  would  be  to  get  a  4  foot  tank..try  and  get  4  of  the  same  kind  as  juviniles..let  them  grow  up  form  a  pair  on  their  own  and  then  remove  the  other  2.Thats  what  i  would  do  given  a  choice.

@Sidrock.
 Oscars  are  of  many  varieties  as  a  result  of  inbreeding..copper  albino  albino  copper  tiger  red  tiger  etc  etc  and  every  person  has  a  name  of  his  own.There  are  no  such  "premium  strains"  though  you  do  get  premium  qualities  of  fish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:27 am Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

oscars  are  greedy  eaters..you  gona  need  an  efficient  filtration  system  for  them..juveniles  are  extremely  active  but  they  tend  to  become  lazy  as  they  grow..i  would  advice  keep  a  mixture  of  both  albino  and  black  forms..they  would  look  good..lighting  would  not  be  a  factor..you  can  use  any  lights  you  want,except  that  the  oscars  should  be  visible   Chuckle  
 you  can  keep  sturdy  plants  like  some  echonodorus  species  and  anubias..gravel  would  also  not  be  a  problem..
 and  yes,do  not  overfeed  them..and  if  you  want  their  true  colours,go  for  live  food  dude   Thumb Up  
 best  of  luck  with  them..
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

hrishi007  wrote  (View  Post):                
.and  if  you  want  their  true  colours,go  for  live  food  dude   Thumb Up  
 best  of  luck  with  them..                

I  don't  think  feeding  live  food  is  a  good  idea,  getting  good  quality  live  food  is  always  a  problem.
 The  risk  of  infection  is  very  high.
 Feed  them  good  quality  dry  food,  fasting  every  15  days  ,  plenty  of  space  and  good  filteration  and  watch  them  grow.
 Keep  the  aquarium  well  covered,  they  are  very  good  jumpers,  specially  at  feeding  time.
 mine  have  already  taken  a  tumble  out  of  tank  at  feeding  time.
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:31 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

i  used  to  feed  my  oscars  once  a  week  with  goldfishes  and  guppies   Chuckle  
 their  growth  rate  was  indeed  phenomenal..
Betta
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:44 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  to  you  all  guys...   Thumb Up  

So,

>  a  4'  x  1'  x  2'  tank  should  be  ok?
 >  is  sandy  substrate  fine?  I  heard  that  sometimes  they  end  up  eating  too  much  sand   Shocked  
 >  when  choosing  a  filter,  will  a  300L/H  filter  do  the  job?

I  am  not  much  into  plants..so  will  add  them  to  the  agenda  later,  if  necessary   Smile
p_crazy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

Betta  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thanks  a  lot  to  you  all  guys...   Thumb Up  

So,

>  a  4'  x  1'  x  2'  tank  should  be  ok?
  Smile                

1  ft  is  no  good  in  any  dimension.need  at  least  1.5  ft.
Betta
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:07 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

Deal..then  ll  make  it  to  be  4  x  1.5  x  2...   Smile
imagica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:46 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

Well  i  had  seven  of  them  including  two  albinos..  but  due  to  their  agressiveness  towards  new  fishes,  i  have  given  them  to  LFS  to  sell  it  off.  They  had  grown  big.
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:03 pm Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

toomanyfish  wrote  (View  Post):                
@Titash
 How  many  oscars  have  you  kept  mate?Can  you  please  list  some  advantages  of  some  of  the  advise  you  have  given...a  55  gallon  tank  for  4  oscars?Top  filter?Sloping  substrate?Sharks  as  tank  mates????Would  advise  you  to  read  up  a  little  more  about  them  before  you  advise  people.Sorry  if  am  rude.

Oscars  are  seriously  misunderstood  fish  and  the  biggest  reason  that  attracted  me  towards  them.I  have  been  keeping  them  for  nearly  8  years  now  and  i  dont  think  i  will  ever  have  a  tank  without  oscars.Biggest  rule  for  oscars...get  the  biggest  tank  as  possible..a  4  foot  at  the  very  least..5  footer  even  better..and  invest  in  the  best  filter  you  can  go  in  for.Cannister  would  be  ideal  otherwise  one  or  two  very  large  capacity  internal  filters.(i  had  2  cannisters  running  when  i  had  4  oscars  in  a  4  footer!)Go  in  for  neutral  sand  and  make  sure  it  has  no  sharp  edges  as  would  also  the  rocks  and  wood  or  anything  you  would  keep  in  them.dont  bother  sloping  the  substrate  or  anything..no  matter  what  you  do  they  will  do  it  better.Heater  should  be  kept  at  28  though  i  use  a  heater  in  only  the  coldest  months.Dont  tinker  with  the  water  chemistry  if  you  dont  know  what  you  are  doing.they  adapt  to  most  waters  easily.Dont  feed  them  worms  of  anykind  live  or  frozen.U  can  feed  them  well  cleant  pieces  of  meat  and  prawns  but  only  when  you  sure  you  can  handle  one  big  water  change  a  week.Otherwise  stick  to  pellets.I  find  the  Hikari  range  of  cichlid  food  really  good.I  dont  know  where  you  stay  so  cant  advice  you  where  to  pick  them  up  from.And  yes  they  do  jump.Hole  in  the  head  is  where  they  develop  small  pits  around  their  head  as  a  result  of  bacterial  infection  which  is  usually  due  to  poor  water  quality  and  poor  diet.
 My  advise  would  be  to  get  a  4  foot  tank..try  and  get  4  of  the  same  kind  as  juviniles..let  them  grow  up  form  a  pair  on  their  own  and  then  remove  the  other  2.Thats  what  i  would  do  given  a  choice.

@Sidrock.
 Oscars  are  of  many  varieties  as  a  result  of  inbreeding..copper  albino  albino  copper  tiger  red  tiger  etc  etc  and  every  person  has  a  name  of  his  own.There  are  no  such  "premium  strains"  though  you  do  get  premium  qualities  of  fish.                
 hey!!!  Mad  if  you  want  to  know  the  advantages  then  read  the   following:-  1.  55  gallon  is  minimum  for  oscars,  it  can  be  more  but  not  less.  2.  If  you  don't  want  to  slope  the  substrate  then  there's  no  problem.  Oscars  create  their  own  environment.  3.  ID  sharks  are  very  peaceful  species  but  it  depends  on  you  what  type  of  tank  mates  you  want  for  oscars  or  you  want  the  oscars  to  be  alone.                    I'm  keeping  4  oscars  in  my  4ft  tank.  With  beach  sand  as  substrate.  You  have  kept  oscars  for  last  eight  years  na?  But  I'm  habituated  with  oscars,  discus  and  arowanas  since  the  past  18  yrs.  I  have  2  4ft  tanks  and  one  pond/artificial  tank  with  dimensions  16x8.3x5(lxbxh).  I'm  keeping  arowanas  in  the  half  part  and  oscars  on  the  other  half  part.  The  four  oscars  in  the  aquarium  are  the  2  breeding  pairs.  And  in  the  another  4ft  tank  discus  are  kept,  out  of  which  3  are  breeding  pairs.  I'll  be  shifting  them  to  a  new  tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
coldfear39
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:29 am Post subject: Re: Setting up Oscar Tank.. Reply with quote

Titash  wrote  (View  Post):                

toomanyfish  wrote  (View  Post):                
@Titash

@Sidrock.
 hey!!!  Mad  if  you  want  to  know  the  advantages  then  read  the   following:-  1.  55  gallon  is  minimum  for  oscars,  it  can  be  more  but  not  less.  2.  If  you  don't  want  to  slope  the  substrate  then  there's  no  problem.  Oscars  create  their  own  environment.  3.  ID  sharks  are  very  peaceful  species  but  it  depends  on  you  what  type  of  tank  mates  you  want  for  oscars  or  you  want  the  oscars  to  be  alone.                    I'm  keeping  4  oscars  in  my  4ft  tank.  With  beach  sand  as  substrate.  You  have  kept  oscars  for  last  eight  years  na?  But  I'm  habituated  with  oscars,  discus  and  arowanas  since  the  past  18  yrs.  I  have  2  4ft  tanks  and  one  pond/artificial  tank  with  dimensions  16x8.3x5(lxbxh).  I'm  keeping  arowanas  in  the  half  part  and  oscars  on  the  other  half  part.  The  four  oscars  in  the  aquarium  are  the  2  breeding  pairs.  And  in  the  another  4ft  tank  discus  are  kept,  out  of  which  3  are  breeding  pairs.  I'll  be  shifting  them  to  a  new  tank.   No Way                

Hey  Titash  would  you  please  like  to  explain  what  you  want  to  say?
 Keep  the  flame  war  aside..
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: