141. Guest
142. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,671

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on plants
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on plants
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matrix
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:34 pm Post subject: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on plants Reply with quote

Dear  All,

Here  is  my  first  4  footer  planted  tank
 following  are  the  specs:
 Size  -  48'  x  24'  x  24'
 Substrate:  bottom  layer  -  Mixture  of  Vermicompost  +  Farm  soil  (free  of  fertilizers  collected  from  one  of  my  site)  +  Laterite
 2nd  layer  -  course  river  sand  (again  collected  from  my  construction  site)
 3rd  layer  -  Fine  river  sand  (--do--)
 Rocks  -  Slate  
 River  -  White  sand  (one  used  for  construction)  -  basically  i  Think  i  need  more  lighter  color  for  this  (suggestions  please)
 CO2  -  pressurized  
 lighting  -  (suggest  me)  

Now  I  want  to  add  plants  to  this  and  for  the  same  i  need  suggestions  from  experts.  Basically  i  am  looking  for  the  plants  which  will  PROPORTIONATELY  go  with  the  scape.  Scale  of  the  plants  and  mountains  is  very  imp  here.

Kindly  suggest  me  the  type  of  plants  as  per  marked  zones  in  the  snap.

Last edited by Matrix on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Matrix
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:36 pm Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

more
Matrix
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:37 pm Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

substrate  layers
coldfear39
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:06 am Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

Wow  Buddy,  I  cant  suggest  what  should  be  the  appropriate  plants
 But  will  be  checking  this  thread  ho  wit  turns  up  to  be,  looking  great  about  the  rock  placement  Smile
kk27
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:58 am Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

Superb  Setup,  surely  the  front  layer  has  to  be  carpet  plants  like  Glosso,  but  you  can  add  a  few  long  plants  in  the  front  too  so  that  it  looks  quite  natural.  Java  Fern  will  give  a  nice  Tree  kind  of  look  OR  you  can  get  some  drift  wood  sticks  &  tie  moss  on  them  it'll  also  give  a  nice  tree  look.  

in  17-15  Star  grass  will  look  very  nice.  4-3  you  can  try  stem  plants  like  Bacopa.
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:13 am Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

This  setup  is  going  to  be  stunner  right??
 Yes  it  already  is  with  the  scape.

BTW  picking  20  plant  species  out  of  the  blue  is  very  tough  work.  Would  be  great  if  you  have  any  plants  already  chosen  and  we  can  filter  out  the  BEST  20few  for  you.

One  thing  is  for  sure,  having  a  carpet  of  HC  in  the  center  vacant  space  on  sand(not  numbered)  will  be  nice,  so  that  you  dont  drown  the  nice  terrace  formations.
 On  the  terrace  you  can  choose  your  own  choice.

Good  luck  man.
 I  feel  it  is  going  to  be  one  of  those  long  running  beautiful  journals.  Thumb Up
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:53 am Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

Nice  scape.  I  will  suggest  you  plants  and  other  things  on  13th.
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:10 pm Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

with  your  scape  you  have  more  scope  for  carpet  plants  and  moss,  less  or  minimal  scope  for  background  /  taller  plants.  background  plants  look  good  if  dense  &  1  variety  covering  large  area..

i  can't  comment  how  successful  you  will  be  with  carpet  plants  with  the  substrate  you  are  using,  never  tried  this  combination.

good  luck.

Cheers,
 Binesh
Matrix
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  guys  for  the  comments  I  will  sum  up  everyones  comments  in  the  evening  and  put  it  up  again.  Till  then  keep  pouring  guys  Smile  

IAPLC  was  my  inspiration  for  this  tank  studied  quiet  a  lot  of  them.  Since  am  an  architect  by  profession  so  could  manage  to  set  up  the  hard  scape  but  regarding  planted  scape  m  very  new  to  this  and  still  learning.

@  coldfear39  -  Thanks  ....hehe  not  bad  for  1st  attempt  Smile
 @  kk27  &  saikumar  -  will  sump  up  all  the  recommendations  zones  wise  then  we  can  shortlist  it  actually  even  i  dont  want  too  many  type  of  plants.  zones  are  marked  because  physical  when  i  see  the  tank  I  feel  that  all  these  zones  are  prominent.
 @scorpio  -  sure  rajiv  ji  looking  fwd  for  13th.
Seetharam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:00 pm Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

Interesting  Hardscape,  With  the  right  plants  has  good  potential
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:08 pm Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

Indian  Octopus  on  the  making.   Clapping  

Good  start  but  there  are  too  many  straight  lines.  Try  to  replace  some  slate  (Specially  the  banks  of  the  river)  with  some  round  headed  or  uneven  rocks.  Check  out  the  Rock  sellers  beside  MG  road.  You  can  find  nice  rocks  very  easily.
jessedixon
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:27 pm Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

I  really  fond  of  man  with  green  tank  or  planted  or  fish  tank.  I  really  don't  seen  much  rock  tanks.  But  its  good  as  we  really  don't  have  to  maintain  it,  like  we  have  to  maintain  fish  tanks  like  having  filters  and  many  more.  So  its  good.
Anandarajkumar
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:57 pm Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

jessedixon  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  really  fond  of  man  with  green  tank  or  planted  or  fish  tank.  I  really  don't  seen  much  rock  tanks.  But  its  good  as  we  really  don't  have  to  maintain  it,  like  we  have  to  maintain  fish  tanks  like  having  filters  and  many  more.  So  its  good.                

Hi  Jessey,
 Filters  are  must  for  whatever  may  be  the  tank  setup,  planted  or  not!
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:27 pm Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

Great  looking  hardscape.  I  would  suggest  going  for  max  4-5  species  of  plants  instead  of  20  otherwise  your  scape  wont  look  as  nice.  You  will  mainly  be  restricted  to  mosses  and  foreground  plants  if  you  want  to  keep  the  scale  right.

My  suggestion  :  Glosso  for  foreground  which  blends  into  HC  as  you  move  further  back.  For  the  hills,  dwarf  hairgrass  and  maybe  christmas  moss
adipnayak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 7:38 pm Post subject: Re: My First 4 footer Planted Tank -Suggestions needed on pl Reply with quote

If  you  could  provide  a  proper  front  photograph  also,  that  would  help.  I  agree  with  Binesh  since  you  have  gone  with  the  "terrace  farming"  kinda  look.  Carpet  plants  would  look  great.  Keep  the  photos  rolling.  Goodluck  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: