141. Guest
142. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,866

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Blood parrot fish losing color
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Blood parrot fish losing color

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Diseases & Cures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snk_anindya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:33 pm Post subject: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

Hi  All,

I'm  Kishore  from  Bangalore.  
 I've  been  having  an  aquarium  for  a  few  years  now.  First  I  started  with  mollies  and  gold  fish  varieties.
 Recently  (about  2  months  back)  I  switched  to  Blood  parrot  fish.
 I've  got  a  bit  of  problem  with  my  parrots.  Any  help  will  be  appreciated.

I  have  a  15  gallon  tank  (2'  x  1'  x  1')
 I'm  using  gravel  substarte,  power  filter,  tap  water,  28  degrees  temperature.
 In  the  tank  i  have  two  blood  parrots,  two  shark  and  a  brown  colored  chichlid  type  of  fish  (  which  I  dont  know  abt  exactly  Sad  )

In  the  past  one  month  the  blood  parrots  have  been  losing  color.  They  have  turned  from  deep  orange  to  dull  orange.  
 The  bigger  parrot  is  slightly  aggressive  towards  the  smaller  one.  Please  give  some  suggestions.  

Following  are  the  pictures  

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/snkworld/Aquarium#5556839059748075586[/img]
 [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/snkworld/Aquarium#5556839237474828034[/img]
Marc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:02 pm Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

Welcome  to  IAH  Welcome  

I  guess  your  brown  coloured  cichlid  fish  is  a  Jewel  fish.  I  could  just  see  the  tail  in  one  of  your  snaps.

The  colour  loss  of  your  parrots  could  be  due  to  aggression.  I  see  some  red  spots  on  one  of  your  parrots.  Am  not  sure  if  its  pigmentation  or  infection.  Other  than  that  I  dont  see  anything  wrong  with  them.  Lets  see  what  the  other  members  have  to  say.
coldfear39
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:08 pm Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

Hi  Kishore,
 Welcome  :)

Regarding  the  color  loss  marc  has  already  said,  but  I  would  like  to  add  that  your  current  setup  is  very  small  for  cichlids  please  try  to  increase  it.
devansh95
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:10 am Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

hi  kishore  ,  welcome  to  IAH  ,  you  blood  parrots  are  normal  i  have  the  following  points  to  make:

1.your  setup  of  2x1x1  is  small  for  keeping  cichlids  for  a  long  time  ,  although  u  can  use  it  as  a  hospital  tank/raising  juvies  or  for  other  small  fishes.

2.lose  the  ID  sharks  ,  try  not  to  mix  any  other  fish  with  cichlids  also  keep  similar  types  of  cichlids.always  confirm  the  fish  u  got  or  u  may  lose  any  other  fish  as  cichlids  are  quite  territorial.

3.bllod  parrots  are  hybrid  fishes  ,  the  only  colour  which  they  will  keep  is  red  or  yellow  ,  all  other  coloured  parrots  are  tatooed  &  will  start  losing  colour  ,  generally  lfs  guys  feed  them  with  hormone  induced  food  for  bright  colours  .

happy  fish  keeping!!!!  Smile
snk_anindya
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:53 pm Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

Hi  All,
 Thanks  a  lot  for  all  your  suggestions  !!

-  I'll  try  to  get  rid  of  ID  sharks..  They  are  already  sick  Sad  and  not  eating  properly.

-  The  brown  fish  must  surely  be  the  Jewel  fish.  It  has  bright  neon  blue  spots  all  over.  Thanks  for  the  info  Marc.

-  Yesterday,  the  pet  shop  guy  gave  me  a  different  type  of  fish  food  to  help  the  parrots  to  regain  color.  But  its  very  fine  granules  and  the  parrots  are  not  eating  it  at  all  Sad  

-  I'll  try  to  get  a  bigger  tank.  But  that  might  take  some  time.  A  month  at  least.  
 Meantime,  can  someone  please  tell  me  what  size  tank  would  be  good?  Should  i  buy  the   normal  glass  tank  or  the  imported  acrylic  one?
 The  imported  one  seems  to  be  pretty  costly.  But  the  pet  shop  guy  promises  to  give  a  good  underground  pipe  filteration  system  so  that  the  tank  needs  be  cleaned  only  once  in  six  months  (With  monthly  water  changes).  He  is  quoting  around  16  K  for  a  three  feet  tank  with  the  full  filteration  and  substrate  setup.

Please  tell  me  if  you  know  any  place  in  Bangalore  to  buy  a  tank  for  a  reasonable  price.  

Thanks  in  advance  !

Regards,
 Kishore
devansh95
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:05 pm Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

well  kishore  the  first  thing  u  should  know  about  most  of  the  lfs  guys  in  india  is  :  they  dont  know  what  they  are  talking  about  ,  they  dont  have  enough  knowledge  about  fish  enough  knowledge  about  fish  keeping  ,  will  try  to  sell  u  every  unnecesary  &  unworthy  items,  so  its  better  to  research  carefully  about
 whatever  u  are  gonna  do.
 imported  acrylic  tanks  are  a  waste  of  precious  money  ,  they  are  quite  ,  expensive  ,  small  &  easily  get  scratches.  the  normal  custom  made  glass  tank  will  cost  u  1/10  of  the  cost  of  imported  ones.  just  make  sure  u  buy  from  a  trusted  ,  experienced  lfs  guy  &  try  to  take  glass  with  maximum  thickness  to  avoid  leaks,  till  8mm  glass  is  ok  till  3  feet  ,  try  to  take  a  minimum  of  55  gallon  tank  ,  a  4  feeter  will  be  best  for  u.
 as  far  as  food  is  concerned  dont  trust  local  &  unheard  brands,  there  are  some  really  good  brands  like  nls,  tetra,  hikari,  sera  try  to  get  these  &  always  in  small  quantities  ,  as  parrots  have  big  mouth  &  are  incapable  of  closing  it  feed  them  medium  sized  pellets.
 as  far  as  filtration  is  concerned  u   need  to  research  &  decide  which  type  u  want  ,  generally  external  filters  &  sumps  are  "best"  but  for  a  small  tank  internal  filters  like  of  boyu,bodyguard,  atman  are  good  .  the  filtration  of  any  tank  should  be  3-5  times  the  total  volume  in  the  tank  per  hour.
 u  will  need  to  study  &  research  about  every  thing  that  goes  in  the  tank  from  fishes  to  gravel  as  there  is  quite  a  variety  &  u  r  dealing  with  life.
   Very Happy   Smile
bluejavas
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:55 pm Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

Hi,

I  Highly  accept  and  agree  on  devansh  reply.   Good  branded  food,  large  tank  with  group  of  similar  fishes,  the  survival  rates  are  high   and  the  health  wise  they  are  much  much  better.

kk
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:54 pm Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

First  of  all  Kishore  your  setup  is  too  small  for  the  fishes,  as  a  couple  of  baby  parrots  need  30  gallons  for  three  months  on  an  average.  And  then  for  a  couple  of  adult  parrots  minimum  75  gallons  is  required.   Smile   Your  parrots  normal  the  lossing  of  color  could  be  due  to  aggressiveness.  And  the  another  thing  don't  any  other  kind  of  cichlid  or  any  other  fishes  with  parrots.  Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Yogesh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:35 am Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

This  Blood  or  Red  Parrot  fish  is  juiced  up  for  its  color.  There  are  many  hormoned  'Red  Enhancing'  food  available  in  local  market  for  hybrid  cichlids.  eg.  Hi-Red,  Super-Red  etc.  Also  there  is  one  food  specially  available  for  Blood  Parrots  called  'Red  Parrot'.  However  if  you  discontinue  this  food,  their  color  will  start  to  fade  again.
Sachuchin
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:12 pm Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

Hi,  

My  suggestions  will  be  as  follows:

1.  Raise  the  temp.  of  your  water  to  26-28degree  C  and  increase  the  oxidation  in  your  tank  by  putting  a  power  filter  in  it.
 2.  Also  the  tank  seems  to  be  little  small  with  semi-agressive  chichlids  as  jewel  in  it.  The  main  reson  for  decoloration  is  generally  the  agressioni  by  the  tank  mates.
 3.  Chichlids  required  high  quality  protein  food.  i.e  chingmix,  red  head,  hikari  bio-gold  plus  etc.

This  may  sure  help  you.
ajha
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:49 pm Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

stress  and  low  nutritious  diet  could  be  major  contributor  for  the  same.  Since  I  have  never  raised  Parrots  i  can  not  help  you  precisely  but  I  will  look  in  the  direction  mentioned  above.
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:31 pm Post subject: Re: Blood parrot fish losing color Reply with quote

Parrots  are  just  wrong!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Diseases & Cures All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: