247. Guest
248. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - You have little protection for online purchases in India
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

You have little protection for online purchases in India
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:16 pm Post subject: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

Please  note  that  in  the  US,  an  online  store  cannot  indicate  that  a  product  is  in  stock  on  their  website  when  it  is  not.
 Moreover,  they  can  only  charge  your  credit  card  after  they  have  handed  over  the  package  to  the  shipping/courier  company.
 Once  handed  over  to  the  shipping/courier  company  insurance  kicks  in  and  any  loss  is  made  good  by  insurance  to  both  seller  and  buyer.
 Until  the  actual  physical  transfer  of  the  goods  takes  place  to  the  shipping/courier  company  your  credit  card  is  only  blocked  
 for  the  amount  of  the  purchase.
 Any  transgression  on  the  seller's  part  of  the  above  will  land  him  in  jail  for  a  long  time.

You  don't  have  this  protection  in  India.  So  Beware  !

A  seller  who  is  not  in  physical  possession  of  the  goods  (  Not  in  stock)
 can  still  show  the  goods  are  in  stock  on  his  website,  get  you  to  pay,  (  the  payment  will  immediately  be  debited  to  your  credit  card),
 then  order  the  goods  from  elsewhere  at  a  cheaper  price,  pocket  the  commission,  and  send  you  the  goods.  OR  not  send  you  anything  at  all,  switch  off  his  mobile  phone,  stop  responding  to  emails  etc.,  etc.,  etc.,  When  he  finally  manages  to  source  the  goods  you  ordered,  he  might  ship  them  to  you  if  he's  a  half  decent  fellow  !
 There  is  absolutely  no  regulation  and  no  protection  for  the  buyer.

Companies  like  Paypal  came  into  the  picture  to  help  protect  the  buyer  and  seller  who  wish  to  trade,  and  offered  both  protection.

Aquarium  online  stores  in  India  are  not  the  only  one  who  indulge  in  this  malpractice,  book  sellers,  camera  sellers,  
 and  a  whole  jing  bang  of  online  sellers  are  exploiting  this  lacunae  in  regulation.

I  would  advice  you  not  to  pay  directly  by  credit  card,  bank  transfer  is  even  worse,  but  use  a  payment  service  like  Paisa  Pay  or  Paypal,  
 I  haven't  used  Paisa  Pay  so  I  am  not  sure  of  the  level  of  protection  available,  but  I  am  happy  with  Paypal,  AND  I  avoid  shopping  at  Indian  Online  stores.  
 I  am  patriotic,  but  I  don't  want  to  feed  cheating!
coldfear39
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:31 pm Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

Hi  Madan  Sir,
 Thanks  for  the  information,  but  can  we  pay  in  India  through  Paypal  because  yesterday  while  doing  so  paypal  popped  an  error  message  saying  it  doesnt  support  within  country  transaction  ,  was  I  making  a  mistake  during  the  operation  or  it  is  there?
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:32 pm Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

I  have  no  idea  about  this,  there  was  some  restriction  placed  by  GOI  on  Paypal  a  few  months  back,  it  could  be  due  to  this.
 In  fact  a  couple  of  days  ago,  Paypal  asked  me  for  my  PAN  when  I  wanted  to  pay  up  for  something.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:19 pm Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

Paisapay  is  an  Ebay  payment  method,  so  unless  the  item  is  bought  on  Ebay,  you  can't  use  it.  
 Paypal  does  have  the  new  rules  where  they  need  your  PAN  details,  but  thats  Big  Brother  for  you.
 You  should  be  able  to  send  money  using  Paypal  to  someone  in  India  without  any  restrictions.  Maybe  the  person  you  were  trying  to  send  it  to  isn't  verified?

Last edited by psimhan on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 pm Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

The  PAN  bit  was  a  GOI  directive  to  Paypal,   Pradeep.
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:26 am Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

Thank  you,  Madan.

This  should  be  a  sticky!!!
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:57 am Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                
The  PAN  bit  was  a  GOI  directive  to  Paypal,  ¬†Pradeep.                

Yep,  Big  Brother  is  watching  my  online  purchases  too  now.  Pretty  soon  they'll  be  asking  my  PAN  when  I  am  buying  groceries.  I  know  its  to  prevent  money  laundering  and  illegal  money  transfers  but  I  still  don't  like  the  idea  that  some  gov't  computer  now  has  a  track  of  all  my  online  expenditure.

Back  on  topic  though,  if  you  have  proof  of  payment  like  a  reciept   or  an  invoice,  you  should  be  able  to  file  a  consumer  complaint  against  the  seller  if  you  wished,  provided  the  seller  is  a  registered  business.
 If  not,  you  shouldn't  be  doing  business  with  that  guy  anyway,  unless  you  personally  know  him.

Last edited by psimhan on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
sid_p
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:07 am Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

Paisa  pay  used  by  ebay  is  pretty  secure  in  terms  of  buyers  and  sellers  protection.  The  money  is  held  by  ebay  untill  the  buyer  confirms  the  product  has  been  received.  The  delivery  has  to  be  made  in  a  pre-defined  frame  of  time  etc  etc.

I  have  been  using  it  very  frequently  and  never  had  a  problem.

But  there  is  nothing  much  on  ebay  wrt  to  aquarium  hobby  and  I  hope  a  good  sellers  comes  up  there  soon!
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 am Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

psimhan  wrote  (View  Post):                

Back  on  topic  though,  if  you  have  proof  of  payment  like  a  reciept  ¬†or  an  invoice,  you  should  be  able  to  file  a  consumer  complaint  against  the  seller  if  you  wished,  provided  the  seller  is  a  registered  business.
 If  not,  you  shouldn't  be  doing  business  with  that  guy  anyway,  unless  you  personally  know  him.                

Pradeep,  I  don't  think  that  at  present  there  is  any  registering  body  for  online  shops.  For  physical  shops  you  have  to  get  approval  under  "Shops  &  Establishments  act",  but  I  don't  think  it  is  mandatory  for  Online  shops.
 In  the  recent  past  the  number  of  online  shops  of  all  types  has  increased  a  lot,  with  many  of  them  totally  shady.
 Even  big  websites  like  Indiatimes,  Fabmall,  ebay  etc.  have  sellers  of  this  type.
 Many  of  my  recent  purchases  have  gone  bad,  and  I  have  now  stopped  using  them.
Matsyapremi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:47 am Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

Guys,

Just  round  the  corner  to  becoming  the  standard  for  all  'small  value'  transaction  -  would  be  'E  Wallet'  where  virtual  cash  transaction  through  mobile  would  be  common  practise  in  the  country.
 This  initiative  is  being  driven  by  all  'Telco's'  (telecommunication  co's)  and  would  be  independent  of  Banks.  This  would  probably  be  the  answer  to  the  current  woes  of  online  payment.

Cheers,
 K  Ram
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:17 am Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

Ram,  E  Wallet  looks  just  like  another  online  payment  "facility".

We  have  no  protection  worth  the  word  in  India  for  online  buys!  
 The  seller  can  advertise  anything  online,  without  being  in  physical  possession  of  the  goods.
 How  would  payment  for  online  purchases  on  the  mobile  be  any  better  ?

The  Banks  and  Credit/Debit  card  companies  say  you  are  the  one  responsible  for  the  purchase  and  YOU  have  Committed  to  pay,  they  are  not  responsible  in  any  manner  !
 They  will  debit  your  account,  take  the  commission  and  pay  the  seller,  all  in  a  few  hours  !
 Shopping  online  in  India  is  as  good  as  Paying  by  Credit  Card  physically  at  a  shop  for  goods  the  shop  owner  does  not  have  in  stock  !  
 Why  would  E  Wallet  be  any  different  ?

I  have  got  a  lot  of  feed  back  from  members  and  others  about  their  bad  experience  with  Online  Shopping  for  Aquarium  Goods  through  India  web  stores,  I  tell  them  what  I  say  here.

Would  you  pay  a  shopkeeper  without  actually  seeing  the  goods  in  his  possession  ?  Then  why  do  you  pay  online  without  being  informed  ?

Educate  yourself  first  before  succumbing  to  the  buying  binge  !
Matsyapremi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:47 pm Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

E  wallet  is  different  from  the  present  'online  payment'  -  where  you  are  expected  to  pay  while  'ordering'  (not  to  mention,  if  the  goods  are  in  stock  or  not)

This  works  like  cash  -  payment  on  delivery  -  instant.  So  you  have  the  goods,  you  pay.  
 Also  market  analysis  clearly  indicates  -  more  people  carry  mobile  than  debit  or  credit  cards  in  India.
 Hence  this  will  have  greater  reach  through  a  Telco,  as  opposed  to  Bank.  However  there  is  going  to  be  handshake  between  the  two.

Believe  me,  this  is  going  to  be  the  next  wave  after  the  mobile  revolution  in  India.

Cheers,
 K  Ram
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 pm Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

Ok  Ram,  I'll  wait  for  it  to  roll  out,  then,  I'll  read  the  fine  print  !  Very Happy
Matsyapremi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

No  need  to  wait.  There  are  already  some  players  in  the  market.
 So,  go  ahead  and  read  the  fine  print........  Smile  

http://www.oxicash.in/oxicash-e-wallet/oxicash-e-wallet.aspx

Cheers,
 K  Ram
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:35 pm Post subject: Re: You have little protection for online purchases in India Reply with quote

Ram,  there  is  simply  NO  fine  print  regarding  the  buyer  protection  we  are  talking  about  !
 It  is  just  another  payment  facility  across  a  wider  market.  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: