28. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,783

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - T5 HO vs MH
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

T5 HO vs MH
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHRIRAJ
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:18 pm Post subject: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

Hi  experts
 Please  help  me  out  i  have  a  tank  with  height  21inchs.  I  m  going  to  buy  new  lighting  for  the  aquarium  can  you  guys  help  me  out  which  lights  i  shall  buy  shall  i  buy  70watt  MH  or  shall  i  go  for  96watts.  T5  HO  i  have  planted  glossostigma.
Titash
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:10 pm Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

Shriraj  IMO  for  MH  lightning  1.5  watts  per  gallon  would  be  suitable,  for  T5  lightning  1.2  watts  per  gallon  and  for  normal  lightning  2  watts  per  gallon.  Thumb Up  

Experts  if  I  am  wrong  please  correct  me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
drug
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:49 pm Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

What  are  the  other  measurements  of  the  tank?

Titash  wrote  (View  Post):                

Shriraj  IMO  for  MH  lightning  1.5  watts  per  gallon  would  be  suitable,  for  T5  lightning  1.2  watts  per  gallon  and  for  normal  lightning  2  watts  per  gallon.  Thumb Up   Experts  if  I  am  wrong  please  correct  me.

I  am  not  an  expert  but  Glosso  at  1.5WPG?  
Anandarajkumar
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 pm Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

Normally  for  a  2  foot  length  tank  of  that  height  one  75W  MH  would  do  wonders!
SHRIRAJ
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:30 pm Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

my  tank  dimensions  are  30x12x21.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 pm Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

You  want  Ferrari  -  you  go  for  2  70  watt  MH
 You  want  Lambo  -  Go  for  4.5-5.5  WPG.

Cons  -  DIY  Co2,  1  bubble  per  second  Co2  for  saving  on  Co2,  Less  water  change,  No  proper  dosing,  and  you  get  a  khatara.

You  want  khatara  -  go  for  1.5WPG

No  cons,  its  already  a  khatara.

You  want  Maruti  -  stay  in  between.
 Cons  -  a  Maruti.

Hope  this  helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:03 am Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

well  IMO  kelvin  should  be  considered  for  hieght  concerns  and  not  watts.
 MH  would  be  great  for  height  21  but  check  the  kelvins  in  it  ,  distrubuting  into  two  small  MH  tubes  is  advisable  rather  than  on  single.  Lights  are  the  most  complex  topic  in  planted  aquarium.
SHRIRAJ
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:53 am Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

has  anyone  tried  LED  lighting  for  aquarium
Seetharam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:18 pm Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

One  of  the  considerations  for  lighting  is  the  depth  of  water  column  it  has  to  penetrate,  for  this  you  have  to  calculate  the  height  of  the  substrate  and  also  the  height  of  water  level  below  the  surface.  So  for  a  21  Inch  height  tank  as  yours  if  you  have  3  Inch  Substrate  and  leave  1  Inch  gap  on  the  top.  You  have  17  Inch  Water  Column  to  be  penetrated.  So  IMHO  T5HO  or  PLL  Lighting  would  suffice.

Now  for  the  second  part  of  this  puzzle.  Just  light  is  not  enough,  The  amount  of  light  also  matters.  In  your  case  you  have  planted  Glosso  and  it  needs  very  high  light  to  grow  close  to  the  substrate.  In  low  light  conditions  it  starts  to  grow  upwards.  

Now  for  the  third  and  fourth  part  of  the  puzzle.  If  you  hit  high  light  you  will  need  to  provide  good  amount  of  CO2  and  Nutrient  as  well.

A  Planted  Tank  to  do  well  needs  Light  +  CO2  +  Nutrients  (Substrate&Water)  in  the  right  balance,  IF  either  of  these  parameters  go  high  or  low  compared  to  the  others  ,  THEN  you  will  have  algae  issues.

Read  Up  .........  Read  Up  ..........  Read  Up  .........  and  then  decide  what  setup  to  do  based  on  what  your  budget  permits.
sushant
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:33 pm Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

LED  can  be  a  good  option  i  have  been  using  them  in  my  tank  and  even  the  HM  was  forming  carpet  under  it  growing  very  low  on  the  substrate.  by  the  way  whats  your  tank  specs?
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:43 pm Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

@Sushant

Tell  us  more  about  your  experience  with  LEDs.  Show  us  some  of  y  our  tank  pics.  Tell  us  where  you  bought  them,  better  if  you  take  a  pic  of  your  light  setup  and  post  it  here.  Will  surely  help  people.  What  are  your  LED  specifications?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sushant
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:08 am Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

@Dev:  its  a  DIY  LED  setup  with  30  x  3W  LEDs  (Chinese).  i  have  been  using  it  for  around  7-8  months.  initially  i  tried  running  them  on  the  DIY  current  driver  but  wasn't  satisfied  with  the  overall  performance  because  i  was  unable  to  find  the  right  value  of  resistor  in  market  so  switched  to  a  buckpuck.  Here  are  some  pics:

pics

these  pics  where  taken  just  after  i  tried  Aquascaping.  this  might  not  be  a  good  aquascape  ¬†and  lacks  few  basics  like  dual  focal  point  but  its  much  better  than  the  wild  and  untidy  outgrowth  in  the  past.

Last edited by sushant on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:33 am; edited 2 times in total
sushant
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 am Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

the  tank  specs  are:
 size:  42  x  18  x  24
 substrate:  Sera  floredepot  topped  with  gravel
 filteration:  AquaONe  Aquis  700
 flora:baby  HM,  Glossostigma,  Marsilea,  Riccia,  Sagittaria  sabulata,  Christmas  Moss,  Christmas  Moss,  Java  Fern,  Red  Ammannia,  Green  Cabomba,  CARDAMINE  LYRATA,  HETERANTHERA  ZOSTERAEFOLIA,  HYGROPHILA  DIFFORMIS,  LIMNOPHILA  AQUATICA(green/red),  Green  Myriophyllum,  Potamogeton,Aponoogeton  Crispus,  ROTALA  WALLICHII  (RED),  VALLISNERIA,  red  lily,  BLYXA  JAPONICA,  DIDIPLIS  DIANDRA
   Fauna:6  white  cloud  mountain  minnow,  6  Neon  rainbows,4  sunshine  rainbows,6   black  neon  tetra,2  zebra  danio,2  angel,2  neon  gourami,  2  small  pleco,  8  scarlet  bardis  and  a  few  RCS.
drug
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:20 am Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

2  Feet  long  X  1  feet  wide.  If  you  get  a  circular  or  square  reflector  the  light  will  spill  over  /  hit  the  glasses  too  much  on  the  front  and  back.

How  do  you  plan  to  suspend  the  MH  fitting  over  the  tank?  They  are  generally  pretty  heavy  {as  opposed  to  the  PLL/T5/T8  fittings}
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:30 am Post subject: Re: T5 HO vs MH Reply with quote

@Sushant,

Your  tank  looks  good.  Seriously.  Take  good  care  of  it  and  it  will  surely  make  you  proud.  Sent  you  a  PM  regarding  the  LEDs.  Thanks  a  ton  for  posting.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: