237. Guest
238. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,888

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Family members & aquariums
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Family members & aquariums
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtfm
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:09 am Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

LOL  here  is  my  situation

WIFE's  opinion:  The  amount  of  water  changes  I  do,  she  calls  me  a  sinner  &  intends  to  throw  me  out  soon.  She  loves  the  tank  though.

Kid:  What  the  hell  is  wrong  with  my  dad,  half  the  time  he  sticks  his  hand  into  the  tank  or  is  doing  something  phoney  around  that  tank,  wish  he  spends  more  time  with  me  :-(

rgg,  nag!  THANK  YOU  VERY  MUCH  for  having  been  through  various  phases  of  helping  me  fix  critical  issues  within  my  tank.  I'd  like  to  tell  you  that  is  shaping  up  well.  I  will  be  posting  pics  of  my  first  planted  tank.

Cheers!
 This  hobby  owns!
Manny
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:17 am Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

Aaah...
 I  pity  you  folk....
 This  thread  reminds  me  why  i  prefer  to  be  single   Chuckle
Anchal
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:51 am Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

Hi,

All  you  guys  are  quite  lucky  i  must  say.

My  husband  and  family  liked  fishes  when  tey  were  doing  fine  and  when  they  bred.

but  when  teritorial  fights  started  they  didnt'  like  them.They  didn't  want  another  tank.

Frys  were  born  -  They  were  happy
 few  frys  die  -  they  get  upset.

Then  all  the  statements  about  spending  more  and  more  time  and  money  on  fishes  Sad
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:03 am Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

Manny  wrote  (View  Post):                
Aaah...
 I  pity  you  folk....
 This  thread  reminds  me  why  i  prefer  to  be  single  Â Chuckle                

Shadi  karke  phas  gaya  yaar,  achha  khasa  tha  kunwara    .....Crying or Very sad
fishyfish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:53 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

i  love  pets  so  one  day  i  just  waited  till  my  parents  went  out  for  shopping  ann  then  cleaned  the  cement  tank  at  the  back  of  my  house  ..then   i  caught  some  fish  from  a  nearby  pond  ann  kept  them  there  Very Happy   ...

my  parents  didn't  discover  it  till  i  week  later  Chuckle  ...then  there  were  some  50-60  fish  all  not  more  than  2  cm  which  i  had  caught  with  some  friends  ann  slowly  now  my  parents  love  the  fish  more  than  i  do  Shocked  

.now  my  father  bought  me  2  glass  tanks   Cheering  ann  spends  hours  just  starring  at  it  ...i  did  the  same  thing  to  get  my  dog  accepted  (i  got  the  dog  from  one  of  my  friends..ann  just  brought  it  home  because  it  was  soooo  cute  ann  tied  a  ribbon  on  it  ann  kept  it  in  the  garrage  till  my  parents  came)
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

Fishyfish...

Congatulations....  Thumb Up   Thumb Up
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:30 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

aah  me  tho  very   different  time  friends  Very Happy  
 initially  used  to  hav  guppys  in  our  sump  so  i  wd  get  sick  badly  smellin  the  water,so  my  father  brought  me  a  2.5ft  tank
 in  8th  class(when  i  asked  for  a  pup/PC/AQuarium  gave  2  difficult  options  to  get  the  desired...  Thumb Up  
 so  my  father  does  help  in  water  changes(when  he  is  in  mood,or  else  he  alwasy  brings  out  studies  in  between)  Shocked  
 my  mother  tho  likes  them  ,but  hates  me  running  all  home  looking  fish  ,changing  water,  having  a  tank  in  each  room...hehe  asking  to  concenterate  on  1  tank(but  convinced  her  and  convinced  her  to  convince  papa  to  get  a  4ft  aquarium)  Thumb Down  
 my  sister  tho  always  bursts  out  the  secrect  of  arraival  of  new  fish,she  does  like  the  babiies.  Sad  
 my  uncle  tho  one  day  saw  all  fish  tanks  nd  ASKED  TO  PUT  UP  ONE  IN  BATHROOM  ALSO...  ROFL  LOLZ  hehe,nd  i  d  been  lookin  forward  fo  that.
 Achivements  against  family  Rock On  
 -been  able  to  sneek  in  2  more  tanks  one  for  fh,another  planted(parents  came  to  know  slo  nd  late,were  calm)
   Thumbs Up  
 -been  able  to  sneek  in  6  discus(told  parents  only  about  2)  
 BUT....but..  Crying or Very sad  .ULtimately  boils  down  to  my  studies  if  results  are  ok,well  nd  fine(no  bonus  tank   )....or  else  blastings  against  time  spend  against  aquarium  Vs  stuDiEs
 always  been  in  dilema  for  3yrs  whether  to  study/  set  n  sit  n  see  aquarium,ANY  pERSON  WITH  soLuTIoN?:confused:
 HOPe  some  studies  get  me  some  job  for  better  fisherment
   Smile
congo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:53 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

my  story  is  somewhat  similar  to  what  surya  has  said.  my  very  first  aqua  was  when  i  was  at  8  th  standard  class  which  my  dad  bought  it  for  me.  things  were  fine  for  two  years.  then  a  long  gap  .  after  entry  into  college  started  again  but  with  little  knowledge.  had  to  stop  them  again  during  final  year  MBBS.  now  after  doing  specalisation  in  MD  got  money  and  place.  so  jet  stared  with  two  footer  and  one  more  of  same  size.  got  myself  drowned  deep  into  this  hobby,  bought  four  footer.  even  now  things  were  fine  in  my  family.
    when  i  went  for  another  four  footer  ,  the  revolte  started.  my  parents  and  brothers  no  longer  favour  me  for  this  hobby.  consider  it  time  waste...money  waste..mind  waste..
      but  i  didnt  stop  with  that..  go  on  buying  and  exchange  fish  and  plants  of  my  taste....  scary  thing  it  will  be  for  me  to  be  out  of  station.for  sure  that  they  will  left  uncared.only  my  "would  be"  favours  me  for  this  hobby.  so  my  dream  hobby  will  survive   Smile
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:00 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

Saikumar  can  become  an  icthyologist  then!!

I  too  started  when  I  was  in  8th  standard.  Parents  were  a  bit  apprehensive  but  supportive.

Now  my  wife  too  is  supportive,  for  now.  I  have  got  her  started  into  a  tank  so  perhaps  I  am  safe.  And  lucky.

Deepesh
potteypot
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:15 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

First  of  all  i  have  to  say  sorry  to  all  you  guys...after  reading  this  thread  i  kept  on  laughing  madly  just  thinking  how  they  would  scold.  That  too  with  the  polar  bear  and  the  cute  intelli  kid  you  have.....

My  story  also  goes  back  as  long  as  i  was  in  6th  standard.  I  got  into  this  hobby  after  seeing  my  cousin  brother  keeping  a  7  footer  tank  in  his  douse  with  a  dozen  big  fishes  which  i  dont  remember  their  names  now.  I  pressed  on  so  much  that  i  could  even  cry  on  the  floor  for  getting  a  tank  to  get  rid  of  me  crying.  Every  week  when  my  parents  took  me  to  my  cousins  house  for  the  weekend  it  would  be  a  problem  for  them  .  One  fine  weekend  i  din't  cry  at  all  and  just  kept  watching  the  tank  and  my  father  bought  me  a  1.5Ft  tank  which  held  8  gold  and  koi.  But  when  they  died  once  due  to  lack  of  current  i  cried  as  if  i  lost  my  someone  very  close.

My  parents  like  the  fishes  i  keep  but  never  helped  me  in  cleaning  and  so  on.  My  sister  would  help  me  a  bit  though.

After  i  got  a  flowerhorn  before  a  year  all  changed.  My  father  cares  him  more  than  me.  He  plays  with  him  and  my  sister  shouts  at  him  with  love  and  affection.  My  mother  is  happy  because  my  family  itself  is  happy  seeing  him.
 Due  to  exams  and  business,  i  ask  the  lfs  guy  to  clean  my  two  tanks  in  which  i  have  a  Flowerhorn  and  a  Pearl  arowana  which  i  got  last  week(latter).  Both  doing  fine.....I  hope  my  future  wife(i  pray  that  a  girl  who  loves  fishes  must  come  as  my  wife),  who  knows  who  will  come,  will  adjust  with  my  fishes.

Sure  my  peace  level  has  gone  up  after  i   got  my  two  tanks  and  two  fortunate  fishes  making  me  feel  be  happy.  But  i  have  been  given  one  strict  instructions,  not  to  spend  all  the  profits  i  get  in  my  shares  trading,  on  fishes  nor  tanks  anymore.  So  i  keep  quiet  till  the  time  comes  where  i  will  be  able  to  expand  my  hobby  dreams.  

I  pray  that  all  the  fish  lovers  family  home  must  be  happy  and  peaceful  towards  the  fishes.  Without  our  family  guys'  co-operation  in  some  way  or  other  way  we  would  not  keep  them  happy.

regards
 sundar
karna
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:07 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

Very  very  true.  I  don't  remember  when  during  my  school  days  I  use  to  buy  guppies  and  mollies  and  have  them  in  a  horlicks  bottle  where  they  would  eventually  die  after  some  weeks.  This  mostly  happens  during  school  vacation  period  then  somehow  somewhere  I  stopped  and  I  guess  lots  of  fishes  were  saved  eventually.

Then  after  a  very  very  long  gap  (eventhough  my  sister  has  a  setup  in  her  house  for  the  past  4  years)  I  was  not  interested.

It  all  started  again  when  I  came  to  back  to  india  and  settled  here  in  bangalore.  I  wanted  to  get  a  pet  gift  for  my  little  daughter  so  went  for  hunting  in  Shivaji  Nagar  as  someone  advised  bought  a  pair  of  Guines  pigs  for  my  daughter  to  play.  Back  home  I  found  that  both  were  males  and  they  were  fighting  like  crazy  I  took  it  back  and  the  shop  guy  refused  give  me  money  instead  he  said  he  will  give  me  credit  for  half  the  money  I  paid.  So  I  forced  to  buy  1  stupid  nano  tank  for  unfair  price  and  I  stocked  it  with  4  pairs  of  fish  which  was  too  much  and  without  a  heater  they  all  died.

My  wife  was  very  upset  then  I  started  my  research  landed  in  IAH  and  from  there  it  is  beena  great  journey  bought  a  4  footer  stocked  it  planted  it  and  now  another  2  footer.   My  wife  and  daughter  enjoy  the  fishes  they  help  me  cleaning.  It  is  my  parents  in  chennai  who  are  upset  because  the  last  time  I  went  there  me  and  wife  spent  more  time  in  Kolathur  and  fish  shops  then  in  my  house.

It  is  true  this  hobby  is  so  addictive.
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

hehe...Naaa  deepesh,  Chuckle  
 it  dint  happen  so...i  ll  come  out  to  be  an  electronics  nd  comm  engineer  after   2yrs...
 ya  but  i  hope  to  become  good  aquarist  rather  than  Icthyologist..
   Thumb Up
nandu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:34 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

Hi
 Nice  topic,  almost  made  me  nostalgic  reading  about  various  experiences.

Mine  started  when  i  was  eight,  when  my  dad  brought  home  an  aquarium  all  the  way  from  Madras  with  fish  and  the  black  molly  gave  birth  to  many  babies  the  very  next  day  they  arrived,and  watching  those  tiny  black  fishes  swimming  around  was  so  vivid  in  memory  even  now  and  i  got  the  "itch".
 And  the  aquariums  grew,  horlicks  bottels,  cement  water  tanks,  any  container  which  can  hold  water  has  become  an  aquarium.
 my  mom,  dad  and  sister  were  invoved  and  enjoyed  keeping  them.(  By  the  way   my  dad  was  a  forest  officer  and  my  mom  was  with  him  where  ever  he  was  transferd  and  in  the  forests  of  AP  and  orissa  and  used  keep  lots  of  pets,  from  birds/rabits  and  once  a  lepard  cub  for  company!!)
 Eversince;  i  had  one  aquarium  atleast  at  any  time,Used  to  carry  my  fish  whereever  i  had  to  go  on  transfers.
 Luckly  my  wife  too  loved  fish  and  now  my  two  kids  too  are  in,  and  helping  me  in  my  marine  set  up.

Its  a   family  affair  always,  guess  i'm  quite  lucky  all  thru!!!

nandu
vinven
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:18 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

LOL....Something  similar  back  here  at  home  too   Very Happy  

Mom:She  says  that  i  waste  a  lot  of  water.I  spend  a  lot  of  time  cleaning  the  aquariums.She  sometimes  fears  if  am  i  gonna  pass  my  exams  at  all  and  sometimes  asks  me  if  i  intend  to  become  a  professional  aquarist.

Dad:Complains  that  ive  spent  atleast  5k-6k  on  aquariums  and  wasted  cash(thankfully  he  doesnt  know  that  its  5  times  more  that  i  may  have  spent  as  yet),says  that  he  doesnt  have  speace  in  my  room  to  walk  around  freely,cursing  me  the  Steep  increase  in  elec  bill   due  to  the  2  tanks   of  mine  which  run  for  10  hrs  a  day  with  200  watts  of  electricity,having  few  more  tanks  in  the  balcony,wasting  all  my  time  on  the  computer  staring  at  some  fishy  websites(he   wishes  how  happy  he  would  have  been  if  i  was  rather  staring  at  some  engineering  books  instead)

Girlfriend:Fumes  the  very  first  day  of  me  asking  her  out.  "Fishes  are  my  first  love,but  i  love  you  too"....that  is  how  i  asked  her  out  Chuckle  she  was  astound

Neighbours:Fisherman....thats  what  they  wondered  if  i  was  when  they  saw  so  many  tanks...

But  ,they  all  have  realised  now  that  theres  nothing  they  can  do.Mom  n  dad  are  already  dreading  the  scenario  once  i  begin  to  earn   Very Happy  God  be  with  them....errrr  or  should  i  say  ...God  be  with  me

-V!nay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
piscean
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: Family members & aquariums Reply with quote

A  very  nice  thread   Smile  ...  had  a  good  time  going  through  all  the  posts.  Well  i  guess  some  are  very  lucky  and  some  are  not.  Im  the  unlucky  one.  Absolutley  no  support  from  folks  at  home.
 It  took  a  lot  of  convincing  to  get  a  tank.  Mom  thinks  my  3  footer  is  too  big  a  tank.  And  couple  of  days  back  when  my  jeweles  bred  i  borrowed  a  small  tank  from  a  friend.  At  9.30  night  i  went  searching  for  a  tank  .  Should  have  seen  the  look   on  the  face   of  my  parents   Chuckle  .  They  thought  i  had  gone  nuts....  Anways  i  enjoy  this  hobby  thorougly  and  have  no  intentions  of  giving  up.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: