82. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - DIY Cooling
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

DIY Cooling
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazzyarchh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:04 pm Post subject: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

I  have  an  idea  for  cooling  an  aquarium  using  AC  or  DC,  i  havent  tried  it  yet  as  my  tank  leaked  recently.  the  idea  is  as  follows:
 fans  which  we  use  to  cool  our  aquariums  blow  room  temperature  air,  water  in  the  upper  layers  use  the  heat  from  the  lower  layers  to  evaporate  and  hence  cool  the  water  in  the  tank.however  this  method  is  ineffective  in  places  with  high  humidity  like  mumbai,  chennai  etc.
 The  idea  is  to  lower  the  temperature  of  the  air  which  is  blown  to  the  aquarium,  this  can  be  done  by  slightly  increasing  the  pressure  of  the  air  which  is  blown  into  the  tank,  the  sketches  below  will  explain  how  it  is  done.

https://picasaweb.google.com/113713146055624525118/Jun102011?authkey=Gv1sRgCPb537igi6qRkgE

air  is  blown  into  the  wide  end  of  the  funnel,  there  is  a  slight  increase  in  the  pressure  due  to  the  reduction  in  volume  inside  the  funnel  as  a  result  cool  air  will  blow  out  through  the  narrow  end.
 the  same  method  is  used  in  hawa  mahal  in  jaipur  where  jharokas  (small  windows)  are  made  in  the  massive  wall,  the  wind  blows  through  this  lattice  wall  and  has  a  cooling  effect.
 i  havent  tried  this  method  yet  due  to  reasons  mentioned,  i  plan  to  use  it  soon  when  i  make  my  4  feet  planted  setup.
 In  the  meantime  some  one  who  is  using  fans  can  use  this  method  and  share  his  experience.
kame
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:18 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

Hi,

If  I  am  corrcet  this  cooling  is  called  Joule  Thomson  cooling  effect,  it  is  not  the  cool  air  that  comes  out,  it  is  the  air  that  comes  out  undergoes  sudden  expansion  ,  which  leads  to  cooling.  
 The  problem  I  faced  initially  with  this  set  up  is,  if  used  as  mentioned  in  the  diagram,  because  of  the  speed  of  aiir,  the  air  gets  reflected  as  soon  as  it  touches  the  funnel,  hence  if  the  funnel  is  tampered  little  bit,  then   probably  we  can  get  the  effect.

-kamesh
crazzyarchh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:23 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

@  kamlesh...im  not  sure  what  it  is  called,  but  if  you  manage  to  hold  the  funnel  or  say  a  tin  can  open  at  one  end  and  having  small  holes  at  the  other,  im  sure  it  will  work.
 You  are  saying  that  you  have  used  it,  so  is  it  effective  in  reducing  the  temperature??
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:27 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

I  have  seen  this  kind  of  cooling  fan  recently  in  a  LFS.  I  asked  the  price  and  it  was  four  figure  price!!!

The  end  of  the  funnel  was  very  close  to  the  water  surface.  The  funnel  end  was  parallel  to  the  water  surface.  It  think  the  system  I  saw  is  using  the  same  principle  that  you  have  mentioned.  

I  will  try  making  this  and  let  you  know  the  results....  Thumb Up
crazzyarchh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

@  shelly
 You  are  right,  i  have  seen  LFS  and  online  store  guys  selling  simple  12v  Dc  fans  costing  50-60  bucks  for  a  lil  below  4  figures,  thats  why  i  wanted  to  DIY  the  stuff.
 I  think  the  end  of  the  funnel  has  to  be  close  to  the  water  surface  to  maximize  heat  transfer,  u  can  try  sticking  a  funnel  or  tin  can  to  the  end  of  the  fan  to  reduce  loss  of  air  by  reflection  as  mentioned  by  Kamlesh.
 Also  if  you  find  enough  time  please  make  a  time/temp  graph  to  test  the  efficiency  of  this  method,  i  will  do  the  same.
 IMO  it  is  much  better  to  use  a  6"  AC  fan  rather  than  a  12v  DC  fan  as  the  AC  fan  is  more  powerful.
Matrix
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

crazyyarchh  are  you  an  architect  by  any  chance?
crazzyarchh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:06 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

yes  i  am,  and  i  have  a  feeling  that  you  are  1  too  Very Happy
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:44 am Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

Add  a  small  length  of  tube  of  say  2  inches  in  length  to  the  larger  opening  of  the  funnel.  Seal  the  fan  to  the  tube.  Do  not  leave  a  gap  between  the  fan  and  your  funnel  setup.  Keep  the  setup  perpendicular  to  the  water  surface  and  1.5"  to  2"  away  from  the  surface.  All  the  best.
sudheerj
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:35 am Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

Hi,
                        Though  I  have  not  tried  this  method,  I  have  the  below  questions  about  the  success  of  it.  
 If  we  look  the  scientific  details  of  the  cooling  
 When  we  use  normal  fan  over  aquarium  tank  what  we  get  is  evaporative  cooling.  
 This  means  water  close   to  the  surface  get  evaporated  and  the  heat  required  for  it  will  be  absorbed  from  the  layers  close  to   the  surface.  Due  to  this  the  surface  layers  become  cooler  and  hence  denser.   As  a  high  density  fluid  above  a  low  density  fluid  (  as  the  sub  surface  layer  is  warmer  than  the  surface  layers)  is  an  unstable  condition  the  surface  water  sinked  (  like  oil  floats  in  water)  and  the  warm  water  reaches  the  surface  and  this  process  continues  until   the  water  in  the  tank  gets  mixed  to  a  good  extend  and  achieves  a  more  or  less  uniform  cool  temperature  through  out  the  water  column.

In  the  present  case  the  plan  is  to  put  cool  air  due  to  pressure  release  to  the  surface  of  the  water.  In  this  case  how  evaporation  will  be  less  effective.  The  other  way  of  cooling  is  by  conduction  and  that  is  what  appears  the  method  aims  at  ie  cool  temperature  of  the  air  get  transferred  conductively  to  the  water  and  cools  the  surface.  I  am  not  sure  how  effective  this  will  be.  I  am  curious   to  see  the  results  of  this  experiment  and  the  drop  happens  to  the  water  both  at  surface  and  subsurface.

with  best  regards,
 Sudheer
crazzyarchh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:09 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

thanks  vignesh,  will  try  something  like  that.

@  Sudheer
 You  are  right,  i  too  had  doubts  about  its  efficiency  especially  on  larger  tanks...50  gallons  and  above.the  only  way  is  to  test  it  out,  which  i  will  be  doing  soon.The  only  problem  is  that  presently  i  dont  have  an  aquarium,  the  only  place  i  can  test  it  in  is  a  bucket,  but  the  volume  isnt  huge..say  about  20  litres,  so  i  was  hoping  that  someone  who  is  using  fans  can  test  it  and  share  the  results.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:17 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

What  you  are  suggesting  is  throttling  the  air  through  the  funnel  to  achieve  cooling  of  the  air.
 Have  you  considered  the  pressure  drop  required  to  achieve  the  desired  drop  in  air  temperature
 and  the  pressure  rating  of  the  fan  ?  What  about  sealing  between  the  fan  and  funnel  ?
crazzyarchh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:23 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

@  Madan...i  think  i  can  find  the  pressure  rating  of  the  fan  but  i  have  no  clue  as  to  how  i  can  calculate  the  pressure  drop  for  desired  cooling...u  can  help  me  with  the  same,  meanwhile  i  will  google  it  Smile
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

I  gave  away  my  Basic  Thermodynamics  books  25  years  ago  !
 My  son  will  buy  them  again  in  a  couple  of  months  time  !
 By  which  time  you'll  not  need  cooling.
 Google  Please  !
crazzyarchh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:46 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

will  google  it  in  that  case....dont  have  the  courage  to  open  the  dyanamics  textbook  again..  Crying or Very sad
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:56 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Cooling Reply with quote

My  guess  would  be  an  air  pressure  of  0.1  to  0.2  kg/cm2  at  the  fan  outlet  to  get  effective  cooling  for  a  10  gallon  tank  !
 The  velocity  of  air  exiting  the  funnel  will  have  to  be  dealt  with  !
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: