64. Guest
65. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - What is the WPG for LEDs?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

What is the WPG for LEDs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting for Marine Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simanta
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:32 pm Post subject: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

Hello.  Had  a  query.
 Now  when  someone  say  that  we  have  to  follow  so-many-watts  per  gallon,  does  this  apply  for  LED  lights?
 Or  for  LEDs  we  have  to  check  the  lm/W  or  the  colour  temp.

My  tank  is  6'x2.6'x2'  plus  4'/2'  sump(200  ltrs.  water)  =  Total  about  1000ltrs.

Now  I  am  planning  for  LED  of  following  specs:
   10W  12000k  *  4
   10W  20000k  *  2
   10W  blue        *  4

Will  these  suffice  a  FOWLR  for  8-12  months  until  is  upgraded  to  the  next  level?

Simanta
joyban

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:47 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

Watts  per  gallon  rule  dose  not  hold  any  more  as  Watts  only  signify  the  Electrical  Consumption  of  the  Light  Source.  Lumen  will  signify  the  amount  of  light  produced  but  it  is  relative  to  human  perception  of  light  (  But  Higher  Lumen  per  Watts  means  higher  Light).  

As  you  are  planning  Fish  Only  with  Live  Rocks  (FOWLR)  so  the  Light  quantity  may  not  be  so  significant  but  will  have  to  take  certain  consideration  in  mind  :-     

1.  Live  Rock  will  not  need  light  during  the  first  couple  weeks  when  it  is  curing.  Plus  one  may  not  want  to  start  algae  growing  before  you  can  have  the  fish.

2.  After  about  2  weeks  a  little  bit  of  light  can  be  added  for  may  be  4  -  5  hours  and  slowly  increase  it  over  the  second  month.  Also  I  have  read  that  one  should  not  give  10-12  K  lighting  during  the  initial  period  and  later  as  well  (  I  do  not  know  why,  but  may  be  due  to  effect  of  such  light,  which  may  kill  the  coraline  algae  ?),  just  Actinic  Blue  light  may  be  fine.  The  most  common  are  420nm  and  460nm  and  are  available  in  the  standard,  T5,  Power  Compact  and  Very  High  Output  (VHO).  

http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.com/l/actinic-bl-pl-s-pl-l/lp_cf_xuvactpl_eu_fa_gb_lp_prof_atg/cat/gb?familyid=LP_CF_XUVACTPL_EU_FA_GB_LP_PROF_ATG&catalogLocale=en_GB_LP_PROF_ATG#t=Overview

http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.com/l/actinic-bl-pl-s-pl-l/lp_cf_xuvactpl_eu_fa_gb_lp_prof_atg/cat/gb?familyid=LP_CF_XUVACTPL_EU_FA_GB_LP_PROF_ATG&catalogLocale=en_GB_LP_PROF_ATG#t=ProductList

http://www.ecat.lighting.philips.com/l/actinic-bl-tl-tl-d-t5/lp_cf_xuvatlk_eu_fa_gb_lp_prof_atg/cat/gb?familyid=LP_CF_XUVATLK_EU_FA_GB_LP_PROF_ATG&catalogLocale=en_GB_LP_PROF_ATG#t=ProductList

Live  Rocks  will  ultimately  adopt  to  more  light  by  slowly  by  increasing  the  light  levels  (photo  period).  This  light  is  actually  required  by  the  Coraline  algae  which  will  grow  on  the  rocks.

I  am  not  an  expert  on  Marine  Aquariums  and  on  Live  Rock  Light  Requirement  but  you  may  not  need  10K  and  20K  lights  initially  unless  or  till  the  time  you  may  want  to  add  corals  or  make  a  reef  tank.

There  is  some  information  available  at  :-  

http://www.garf.org/NORM/coralline/corallinenorm.html

http://kb.marinedepot.com/article.aspx?id=10274

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/new-frontiers/1662-truth-about-lighting.html

Hope  this  helps.

Best  Regards

Sujoy

Last edited by joyban on Mon May 16, 2011 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
gremlin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:52 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

Watt/gallon  is  wrong  concept.  People  use  to  say  you  need  to  have  3  watt/gallons  to  support  corals,  but  the  intesnity  of  the  light  decreases  as  you  get  deeper  in  the  tank.  Corals  would  do  better  in  a  shallow  tank  than  in  a  deeper  tank.  The  correct  way  to  go  would  be  PAR  (photosynthetically  active  radiation),    PAR  meters  are  very  expensive  to  measure,  but  you  can  find  the  PAR  graph  for  any  type  of  lamps  you  are  going  to  use.  
 LED's  are  good  because  they  produce  very  intense  light  compared  to  other  types  and  they  use  very  less  watts.  A  21  watt  led  will  give  you  as  good  result  as  a  150w  MH.
 Since  you  are  not  going  to  have  any  corals,  any  amount  of  light  will  do,  it  will  be  just  your  preference.
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:19 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

@  Simanta,

As  mentioned  by  Sujoy  &  Gremlin,  WPG  does  not  hold  for  LED.  Its  basically,  the  lumes  that  you  need  to  take  care.  If  you  are  specially  planning  to  grow  SPS  or  Zoas,  then  you  need  to  take  care  about  the  wavelength  also.  There  are  lots  of  information  available  in  Internet  about  this.
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:31 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

Hi  Simanta,

I've  been  running  LED's  on  my  tank  for  the  last  year+.  They  can  be  fairly  powerful.  

However,  since  your  tank  is  2ft  tall,  a  lot  depends  on  the  optics,  which  creates  the  spread  required.

The  above  that  you  mentioned,  10watters,  I  believe  I've  seen  this  fixture  and  it  wouldn't  work  too  well  on  the  tank  yet.

Why  don't  you  just  get  some  T5's  for  the  time-being,  and  when  you  move  on,  by  yourself  a  kicka**  LED  system?

There  are  plenty  of  awesome  T5  tanks.

Good  luck!   Smile
simanta
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:19 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

@  Sujoy,  Gremlin,  Shelly,  Nonza  -  Thanks  a  ton  friends.

@  Sujoy  .  Links  were  definitely  useful.

@  Nonza  -  Thanks  for  the  advice,  but  I  have  already  paid  for  the  LED's  and  their  drivers  in  HK.  And  adding  to  it  can't  change  the  order  because  the  drivers  were  specifically  made  to  order  for  the  series  connection  I  would  be  doing.

Regarding  the  coralline  algae  on  the  live  rocks,  well  I  will  be  using  approx.  50-60  kgs.  of  live  rock  from  an  existing  tank  running  for  a  couple  of  years  now  and  adding  few  more  to  total  100kgs.

regards
 Simanta.
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

@  Simanta,

As  mentioned  by  Nonza,  you  need  optics  if  your  tank  depth  is  more  than  18  inch.  Even  for  10W  LED,  you  get  the  optics.  So  please  check  if  you  could  get  hold  of  the  optics  too.
simanta
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:30 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                
@  Simanta,

As  mentioned  by  Nonza,  you  need  optics  if  your  tank  depth  is  more  than  18  inch.  Even  for  10W  LED,  you  get  the  optics.  So  please  check  if  you  could  get  hold  of  the  optics  too.                

Oops   This  I  forgot  completely.  Well  I  suppose  will  have  to  settle  for  what  I  have  already  purchased  as  of  now.  Will  have  to  order  the  individual  reflectors  next  time  I  procure  more  LED's.  
 I  suppose  for  a  FOWLR  6  *  10W  (white)  and  4*  10W  (Blue)  will  suffice  for  a  few  months.
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:34 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

Hi  Sim,

You'll  be  fine  for  FOWLR.  

But  I'm  curious,  which  lights  did  you  order?  

Pics  (once  you  get  'em)  would  be  nice!!!   Very Happy
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:36 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

Exactly!!

Atleast  if  you  share  the  info  on  the  forum  it  will  be  great.  Like  what  make/build  and  dealer.
 Thanks.
simanta
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:25 am Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

These  are  pictures  of  the  LED's  I  have  ordered  (well  almost  similar)

Also  ordered  3W  and  5W,  even  they  are  same  only  the  no.  of  chips  will  be  less.
 They  are  epiled  chips.  Getting  them  from  China.
 Am  planning  to  fit  them  into  an  aluminum  'U'  channel  and  soldier  them  in  series.  The  channels  will  be  cut  into  desired  lengths.  The  aluminum  will  also  help  to  distribute  the  heat  emitted.  The  driver  will  be  fitted  outside  the  tank  hood.
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:04 am Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

Nice!  Would  be  cool,  if  you  posted  your  DIY  procedure.

Too  early,  but  it  seems  40  or  60  deg  optics  would  be  good  for  your  tank.  Think  60  would  be  better.

In  any  case,  since  its  DIY,  you  can  always  experiment   Thumbs Up
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:31 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

For  a  FOWLR  set  up  ,  just  few  T5's  would  suffice.

Plan  for  the  complete  set  of  LED's  which  would  be  cost  effective  rather  than  adding  few  nos  on  temporary  basis.  The  LED  set  up  which  u  plan  now  will  not  be  enough  for  a  reef  set  up.

Better  planning  ensures  cost  saving  in  the  long  run  if  you  are  interested  in  a  reef  setup.

Tks
 Suresh.K
simanta
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:42 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

ks  wrote  (View  Post):                
For  a  FOWLR  set  up  ,  just  few  T5's  would  suffice.

Plan  for  the  complete  set  of  LED's  which  would  be  cost  effective  rather  than  adding  few  nos  on  temporary  basis.  The  LED  set  up  which  u  plan  now  will  not  be  enough  for  a  reef  set  up.

Better  planning  ensures  cost  saving  in  the  long  run  if  you  are  interested  in  a  reef  setup.

Tks
 Suresh.K                

Agreed  Suresh.  But  Just  planning  for  the  future,  say  how  long  will  the  T5's  give  the  same  light  intensity,  and  compared  with  LED's  how  much  power  will  be  consumed  by  the  T5's  before  I  have  to  change  them.
 As  I  had  mentioned  earlier,  was  getting  the  LED's  from  China.  Now  I  had  to  go  for  bulk  purchasing  to  keep  the  cost  in  check  else  the  shipping  charges  would  be  higher  than  the  LEDs.  
 I  am  acquiring  a  total  of  16  nos.  10W  LEDs  =  160  Watts,  in  addition  to  the  3W  and  5W  LEDs  amounting  to  more  than  300W.  All  these  cost  me  an  equivalent  to  buying  2-3  branded  150W  MH.

Let  me  receive  the  shipment,  and  then  try  to  fit  them  into  a  frame  and  will  then  ask  your  view  points.  
 Guys  I  will  need  all  your  help  then.

regards
 Simanta
masmer78
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:01 pm Post subject: Re: What is the WPG for LEDs? Reply with quote

Hi  Simanta,

10w  leds  will  require  big  heatsinks  and  also  1  or  more  fans  to  distribute  the  heat.  Aluminum  casing  alone  will  not  do.  Hope  you  have  factored  that  otherwise  the  led's  life  might  be  affected.  

Regards,

Abhishek
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting for Marine Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: