58. Guest
59. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,879

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Aphanius dispar stoliczkanus from Gujarat
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Aphanius dispar stoliczkanus from Gujarat
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Native Indian Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iggy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:40 pm Post subject: Aphanius dispar stoliczkanus Reply with quote

Hello  Aquascapes,
 That  is  great  news  about    "PIPUDA"  .
 Are  they  available  all  year  round?
 What  is  the  locality  (village,  town?)  where  this  populatins  is  from?
 I  look  forward  to  hearing  more  details  as  soon  as  you  get  them.
 An  image  of  the    wild  "PIPUDA"  would  be  great  if  at  all  possible.

Now  that    Dr.  Mohiniben  Ghadia  is  interested,  one  possibility  might  be  to  document  what  fish  are  found  in  the  surrounding  water  ways  in  her  locality.
 Images  and  a  data  base  are  a  great  idea.
 A  few  Indian  fish  are  available  here  in  London,  UK.
 I  will  be  happy  to  contribute  photos  to  any  data  base  that  is  set  up.

I  am  also  in  contact  with  some    Professors  from  Kerala  Agricultural  University  who  are  interested  in  Indian  Ornamental  fish.    I  will  try  and  encourage  them  to  join  IAH  and  get  involved.

Aquascapes,  I  am  going  to  be  sending  you  a  private  message  soon.

Great  work,
 Iggy
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:06 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

The  topic  of  discussion  with  the  professor  today  included  many  topics  including  the  captive  breeding  of  P.  danisoni  and  promoting  mariculture  in  India....  much  more  so  rest  assure  I'll  take  keep  you'll  updated  on  everything.
 I  remember  a  student  of  Aquatic  Biology  approaching  me  for  a  particular  fish  (i'm  very  bad  at  remembering  names  -  esp.  scientific  ones!)  which  is  also  known  as  rice  fish  (she  wanted  to  study  it's  genetic  structure)  and  the  fish  could  not  be  arranged  for  -  the  poor  student  had  to  change  over  to  some  other  fish  and  I  still  curse  my  self  for  not  being  able  to  help  her.  But,  today  we  do  have  a  platform  (thanks  to  the  people  associated  with  this  site  who's  brain-child  has  become  so  helpful  to  even  research  work)  where  we  can  do  something.
 regards,
 aquascapes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iggy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:17 pm Post subject: Aphanius dispar stoliczkanus from Gujarat Reply with quote

Hello  joyban,
 Re:    DATA  BASE  -  while  this  is  being  discussed  and  organised  -
 One  idea  to  start  off  with  immediately  would  be  to  have  a  special  section  in  Photo  GALLERY  for  Indian  Fish  only,  possibly  listed  in  alphabetical  order  so  that  species  can  be  found  easily.    Contributors  could  give  locality  and  other  details  if  the  fish  were  wild  caught.    Also  if  they  have  managed  to  get  them  to  breed  in  the  aquarium.  Any  otgher  details  as  well.
 Hope  this  is  helpful.
 All  the  best,
 Iggy
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:26 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

aquascapes  wrote:                
I  remember  a  student  of  Aquatic  Biology  approaching  me  for  a  particular  fish  (i'm  very  bad  at  remembering  names  -  esp.  scientific  ones!)  which  is  also  known  as  rice  fish  (she  wanted  to  study  it's  genetic  structure)  and  the  fish  could  not  be  arranged  for  -  the  poor  student  had  to  change  over  to  some  other  fish  and  I  still  curse  my  self  for  not  being  able  to  help  her.                  

If  its  Oryzias  melastigma,  yes  they  can  be  arranged.  We  caught  a  few  yesterday    Smile
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:56 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

If  its  Oryzias  melastigma,  yes  they  can  be  arranged.  We  caught  a  few  yesterday    Smile[/quote]

No  Sir,
 The  student  is  now  a  Dr.  (PHD)  in  the  field.  (and  the  fish  belonged  to  Taiwan  or  Thailand  -  I  don't  properly  remember)  This  happened  around  4  to  5  years  back  and  that  time  we  did  not  have  such  a  strong  back-up  on  the  net  -  only  a  few  un-dependable  LFS  to  depend  upon  Chuckle  
 It  is  a  pleasure  to  see  your  keen  interest  in  the  matter  -  God  bless  you!
 regards,
 aquascapes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:50 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

joyban  wrote:                
Drinking    Only  you  (aquascapes)  &  I  seem  to  agree...  the  Rest  ?  Sad                

Joyban,  the  problem  with  a  user  managed  database  is  the  accuracy  of  information.  Even  Fishbase,  which  is  edited  by  scientists  is  riddled  with  errors.  

Consider  the  following;  How  proficient  is  the  average  hobbyist  in  identifying  fish?  There  are  no  user-friendly  field  guides  available.  And  the  best  resources  are  out  of  touch  with  changes  in  taxonomy.  

While  I'd  be  more  than  happy  to  contribute  to  a  database,  I'd  be  leery  of  using  one  where  I  wasn't  confident  of  the  quality  of  data.

@  Iggy,  this  website  already  has  a  gallery  of  Indian  fish.  Very Happy
iggy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:43 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hello  Rahu,
 After  i  posted  my  message,  I  did  find  the  Indian  Fish  site  on  the  galleries.
 Having  joined  just  a  few  days  ago,  I  am  still  finding  my  feet  so  to  speak.
 It  would  be  nice  to  get  a  lot  more  detail  by  those  putting  up  images  of  Indian  fish  as  to  how  they  came  by  them,  bought  or  wild  caught.    If  wild  caught,  where  &  any  available  parameters.    Also  any  breeding  details.
 What  do  you  think?
 All  the  best,
 Iggy

PS:  Although  I  am  not  a  killi  man  and  am  doing  this  for  some  one  else,  I  am  really  rather  excited  abouth  finding  the  Aphanius  fish  via  the  help  of  aquascape  and  the  IAH.    Hopefully  we  will  actually  get  some  fish  to  Europe  soon!
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:00 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Iggy,  a  database  of  sorts  is  underway...  takes  time  is  all  Smile

BTW,  how  about  sending  us  some  nice  European  Aphanius  in  exchange  for  the  dispar?  anatoliyae  Perhaps  Wink
iggy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:34 am Post subject: A anatoliyae Reply with quote

Hi  Rahul,
 Nice  to  know  about  the  data  base  under  constructions.

I  am  not  a  killi  man  myself,  but  have  just  come  back  from  the  British  Killifish  Association  meeting,  London  Group.    
 I  found  that  there  are  several  Aphanius  enthusiasts  among  the  group.  
 I  suspect  that  one  of  them  might  have  A  anatoliyae.
 In  any  case,  I  am  pretty  sure  that  Herman  Meeus  in  Belgium  should  have  them.
 What  I  learnt  today  is  that  these  killifish  are  kept  cold  in  winter  and  do  not  breed.    They  start  breeding  May  June  time,  when  I  can  arrange  for  someone  to  send  you  eggs,  as  this  is  the  easiest  way  of  doing  things.
 How  does  that  sound  to  you?
 Let  me  know  if  that  is  okay.

By  the  way,  does  one  need  a  permit  to  export  live  native  Indian  fish  to  Europe?

All  the  best
 Iggy
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:16 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Iggy,  thanks  for  your  very  generous  offer  but,  I  was  only  half  serious  about  the  A.  anatoliyae.  However,  I'm  sure  hobbyists  in  India  would  really  appreciate  you  sending  over  eggs  from  some  of  the  more  easily  maintained  species.  A  mix  of  Fundulopanchax,  Epiplatys,  Nothobranchius  and  Rivulus.  I  for  one  would  love  to  see  more  people  keep  killies  in  India.

You  need  a  permit  to  commercially  export  live  fish  from  India.  A  few  fish  for  personal  use  can  be  hand  carried  without  a  permit,  although  the  port  of  entry  may  require  paperwork  from  the  originating  country.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:00 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

iggy  please  answer  my  pm
iggy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:50 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Rahul,
 I  would  be  worried  about  getting  stopped  by  customs  with  fish  in  my  hand  luggage  leaving  from  Mumbai  or  Delhi.
 Are  you  sure  that  permits  etc  are  not  needed.
 I  would  not  like  to  miss  the  flight  or  have  to  pay  a  large  fine.

Are  you  sure  that  one  can  carry  live  fish  in  hand  luggage?

Can  anyone  else  confirm  this?

Iggy
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:41 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  have  brought  multiple  bags  of  fish  in  and  out  of  the  country  in  my  carry  on  baggage.  No  one  raised  an  eyelid.  Nothing  special..  breather  bags  in  a  small  padded  box.

Of  course,  if  you  are  concerned,  it  is  a  simple  matter  to  get  a  health  certificate  from  a  veterinarian  stating  the  fish  have  been  quarantined  etc.  Getting  a  permit  to  take  the  fish  out  is  IMO  a  major  hassle.
iggy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:56 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  have  talked  to  a  few  other  people  who  have  colected  wild  fish.
 Most  of  them  have  carried  a  few  fish  in  their  hand  luggage.
 For  the  UK  and  the  USA  some  suggest  having  permits  for  the  entry  port.

For  carrying  fish,  some  suggest  plastic  bottles  with  screw  caps  rather  than  breather  bags.

Still  waiting  to  hear  about    Aphanius  locations  and  the  possibility  of  obtaining  some  of  these  fish.

I  take  it  that  no  one  on  this  forum  keeps  Apahius  species  in  their  aquariums?

Iggy
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:33 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Plastic  bottles  have  the  advantage  of  not  getting  squished.  However,  they  may  leak.  If  you  go  that  route,  I  suggest  using  the  lexan  bottles  meant  for  hikers/mountaineers.  They  are  the  most  leak-proof  things  I've  seen.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Native Indian Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: