34. Guest
35. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,846

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Oscars Suffering with ICK
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Oscars Suffering with ICK

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Diseases & Cures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VenkatRaju
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:52 am Post subject: Oscars Suffering with ICK Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

I  recently  bought  2  Oscars  (one  tiger  and  one  albino)  and  2  Black  Ghosts.

Yesterday  I  noticed  that  the  tiger  oscar  had  ICK.  The  next  day  second  one  also  contracted  it.

Now  the  albino  is  acting  a  little  lethargic  and  not  eating  at  all.  the  tiger  oscar  is  doing  fine.

Please  help  me  to  medicating  this  fish.  As  there  are  BGK's  in  the  tank,  I  am  not  daring  to  add  any  medication  in  the  tank.

I  increased  the  temp  to  around  30  -31  C.  Is  adding  salt  fine  when  there  are  Black  Ghost  Knifes  in  the  tank.

Also  can  there  be  any  other  reason  for  the  oscar  not  eating,  as  the  tiger  oscar  who  had  ICK  from  the  start  seems  to  be  alright  and  is  eating  well.

Tank  Size  is  48*18*18
Sanket
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:03 pm Post subject: Re: Oscars Suffering with ICK Reply with quote

Black  ghost  are  not  at  all  compatible  with  oscar  so  seperate  black  ghost  to  another  tank.  Always  do  some  research  before  buying  any  fish.

Add  salt  (rock  salt)1tbsp/gal  increase  areation.  you  should  not  increase  temp  directly  to30-31  u  should  always  slowly  increase  the  temp(1  deg/2hr)  .
VenkatRaju
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:30 pm Post subject: Re: Oscars Suffering with ICK Reply with quote

@Sanket:  I  think  1tbsp  per  gal  will  be  too  high  a  concentrartion  for  SA  cichlids.

Experts  please  advise.  

I  added  blue  medicine  and  20  to  25  TBSP  of  rocksalt  for  70  Gal  and  keeping  the  temp  at  around  30  -  31.  But  the  oscar  is  getting  more  infested  by  the  day.  Now  the  severums  are  also  infected  and  Parrots  are  also  starting  to  get  white  spots.  They  are  eating  very  well  though.

Is  there  any  other  treatment  I  can  go  for.

The  oscars  are  not  harassing  BGK's  in  any  way,  I'm  more  worried  because  of  the  convicts.

Seperated  the  BGK's  couple  of  days  back  to  prevent  them  from  contracting  the  disease.
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: Oscars Suffering with ICK Reply with quote

Suggested  Action:
 Treating  only  one  fish  won't  be  enough.  The  entire  tank  needs  to  be  treated.
 Remove  the  fish  in  another  tank  or  container,  filled  with  minimal  mount  of  water.  Add  an  airstone  and  keep  the  aeration  at  max.  Add  non-iodised  salt  (  half  to  one  tablespoon  per  gallon  )  and  methylene  blue  solution/Rid-all  Anti  Ich  (  as  directed  on  the  bottle  ).  Raise  the  temperature  by  2  degrees  max  in  a  stepwise  manner.  Donot  feed  the  fish  during  this  period.  Siphon  out  any  wastes  daily  and  top  up  the  water  and  medications.  Continue  treatment  till  2  days  after  symptoms  disappear.
 Meanwhile,  scrub  and  clean  the  existing  tank,  aquarium  decor  and  filter  media  using  salt  and  completely  sun-dry  them  before  reuse.  If  you  fail  to  to  so,  there  will  be  a  recurrent  infestation.
 Prevention:
 Make  it  a  routine  to  add  non-iodised  salt  (  atleast  half   teaspoon  per  gallon  )  to  your  tank  water  during  every  water  change.  Donot  live-feed  your  fish  unnecessarily,  especially  when  the  feed  has  high  chances  of  being  contaminated.
VenkatRaju
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:15 pm Post subject: Re: Oscars Suffering with ICK Reply with quote

@Kastor:  Thank  you  very  much  for  the  info.  

Actually  the  above  mentioned  medication  and  salt  are  applied  on  the  entire  tank  as  multiple  fishes  have  contracted  ICK.  Oscar  is  having  much  more  severe  infestation  than  other  fish,  so  I  kept  it  in  a  bucket  of  more  concentrated  salt  solution  for  few  min  to  see  if  the  ICK  parasites  will  die,  it  was  transferred  back  to  the  main  tank  withing  a  few  min.

Taking  all  the  fish  out  and  sundrying  the  tank  is  not  possible  as  I  dont  have  any  provison  for  a  large  container  to  keep  them  in  and  also  I  have  to  cycle  the  tank  again  and  that  could  take  around  2-3  weeks.  

Is  there  any  medication  that  is  more  effective  than  methylene  blue.  Searched  for  RID  ALL  but  none  of  the  LFS  near  my  area  have  it   Sad.

I  never  fed  the  fish  live  feed,  they  are  on  a  diet  of  Hikari  Cichlid  God.  I  havent  stopped  feeding  the  fish,  the  buggers  are  very  very  hungry  and  are  gulping  down  food.  Even  the  severly  infested  oscar.  I  am  afraid  to  stop  feeding  since  the  ICK  parasites  suck  blood  and  if  we  stop  feeding  them  the  fish  might  become  more  weak  and  might  be  even  more  vunerable  to  the  disease.

And  can  we  add  1/2  tbsp  of  salt  per  gallon  in  a  South  American  tank  after  every  water  change.  I've  read  somewhere  that  they  are  not  very  tolerant  to  salt.  Especially  electric  fish  like  BGK's
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:06 pm Post subject: Re: Oscars Suffering with ICK Reply with quote

The  treatment  regimen  I  have  recommended  is  highly  effective  for  all  Central  and  South  American  large  cichlids.  Scaleless  fish  are  lesser  tolerant  to  hypertonicity  and  hence,  Your  BGK  needs  to  be  treated  separtely  in  a  Non-saline  bath.
 Treating  an  entire  tank  with  medication  is  often  impractical  and  ineffective  at  complete  eradication.  
 Daily  water  changes  greatly  minimize  the  treatment  period.
 It  isn't  the  free  swimming  form  of  the  parasite  that  must  trouble  you.  It  is  the  cystic  stge  that  is  more  problematic.  Cysts,  after  falling  off  the  fish,  either  settle  to  the  bottom  or  get  trapped  in  the  filter  medium,  decor  and  gravel,  where  they  wit  for  favourable  conditions  to  release  the  free  swimming  forms.  Only  these  forms  are  easily  vulnerable  to  the  medications.  Increasing  the  salinity  of  the  water  makes  the  conditions  unfavourble  for  the  cysts  to  rupture.  Daily  siphoning  reduces   lot  of  cyst  load.  Clening  up  the  filter  media,  decor  and  tank  and  sundrying  helps  eliminate  the  cysts  stuck  in  them.  So  these  must  be  cleaned  separately.
 Don't  feed  and  increase  the  bioload.
 You  can  use  spare  buckets  and  tubs  for  the  treatment.
 Other  drug  options  are  Potassium  Permanganate,  Quinine,  Malachite  Green,  formalin,  etc.
 The  experts  will  guide  you  better.  But  in  my  opinion,  treating  the  fish  in  separate  water  baths  /  hospital  tanks  and  the  tank,  filter  media  and  decor  separately  as  directed  above  is  better  for  complete  eradication.  That  is  ll  I  have  to  say.  The  choice  is  yours.  You  have  to  decide  on  your  priorities.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:22 am Post subject: Re: Oscars Suffering with ICK Reply with quote

Kastor48252  wrote  (View  Post):                
Suggested  Action:
 Prevention:
 Make  it  a  routine  to  add  non-iodised  salt  (  atleast  half   teaspoon  per  gallon  )  to  your  tank  water  during  every  water  change.                

This  is  not  needed,  fresh  clean  water  is  best  for  all  freshwater  fish.  They  are  called  freshwater  fish  for  this  very  reason.
 Salt  should  be  used  for  emergency  purposes,  for  example  ick  or  ammonia/nitrite  poisioning.
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:50 pm Post subject: Re: Oscars Suffering with ICK Reply with quote

Sandeep  Sir  is  absolutely  correct.   Thumb Up  
 Salt  isn't  required  absolutely  for  freshwater  fish  per  se.  I  suggested  it  as  a  preventive  measure  for  ICH.  It  doesn't  harm  hardy  fish  like  flowerhorns  and  oscars  which  can  easily  tolerate  a  certain  degree  of  salinity,  while  effectively  preventing  infestation  by  obligate  freshwater  parasites  and  pathogens.  It  has  worked  for  me  for  years.  
 However,  if  you  are  able  maintain  the  water  parameters  and  refrain  from  live-feeding,  you  can  do  without  salt.
VenkatRaju
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:06 am Post subject: Re: Oscars Suffering with ICK Reply with quote

Thank  a  lot  guys,

All  of  my  fish  cured  now.  

Have  to  start  reducing  the  tank  temp  slowly  over  a  couple  of  days  and  remove  salt  from  tank  by  small  water  changes.

Regards,
 Venkat  Raju
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Diseases & Cures All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: