104. Guest
105. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,371

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. Help!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. Help!
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Diseases & Cures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shashank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:32 pm Post subject: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. Help! Reply with quote

Hi  guys,

I  have  a  36''*18''*15''  tank  which  houses  2  flowerhorns  with  a  transparent  glass  separator  in  between.  The  first  fish  i  bought  was  a  female  which  is  with  me  for  the  past  2  yrs  and  i  introduced  a  male  in  February  this  year.  The  intention  was  to  try  and  breed  both.

Last  friday  when  i  did  a  60%  water  change  as  always,  and  had  removed  the  separator  for  an  hour  and  FH's  started  fighting.  I  waited  for  an  hour  and  then  decided  to  put  the  glass  separator  back.  Ever  since  the  Female  FH  which  is  with  me  for  2  years,  has  stopped  eating.

The  situation  grew  serious  a  few  hours  back,  when  i  noticed  that  her  face  has  turned  black  and  is  confined  to  a  corner  of  the  tank.  The  black  coloring  is  only  till  the  gills,  the  rest  of  the  body  remains  normal  colour.  The  male  FH  is  perfectly  normal.

Can  some  of  the  experts  tell  me  what's  wrong  with  my  fish  ?  What  is  this  condition  called  and  how  do  i  treat  it  ?

I  regularly  use  chingmix  head  booster  for  the  male  and  Hikari  Cichlid  Biogold+  for  the  female.
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:40 am Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

if  possible  please  provide  some  pics  of  the  concerned  fish
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:01 am Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

shashank  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  guys,

I  have  a  36''*18''*15''  tank  which  houses  2  flowerhorns  with  a  transparent  glass  separator  in  between.  The  first  fish  i  bought  was  a  female  which  is  with  me  for  the  past  2  yrs  and  i  introduced  a  male  in  February  this  year.  The  intention  was  to  try  and  breed  both.

Last  friday  when  i  did  a  60%  water  change  as  always,  and  had  removed  the  separator  for  an  hour  and  FH's  started  fighting.  I  waited  for  an  hour  and  then  decided  to  put  the  glass  separator  back.  Ever  since  the  Female  FH  which  is  with  me  for  2  years,  has  stopped  eating.

The  situation  grew  serious  a  few  hours  back,  when  i  noticed  that  her  face  has  turned  black  and  is  confined  to  a  corner  of  the  tank.  The  black  coloring  is  only  till  the  gills,  the  rest  of  the  body  remains  normal  colour.  The  male  FH  is  perfectly  normal.

Can  some  of  the  experts  tell  me  what's  wrong  with  my  fish  ?  What  is  this  condition  called  and  how  do  i  treat  it  ?

I  regularly  use  chingmix  head  booster  for  the  male  and  Hikari  Cichlid  Biogold+  for  the  female.                

After  reading  the  elaborate  history  that  you  provided,  I  think  that  there  might  be  nothing  wrong  with  your  fish.  Female  flowerhorns  do  display  such  behaviour  when  angry  or  frightened  or  when  in  heat.  She  simply  seems  to  be  either  pissed  off  or  horny  dude.  She  might  even  lay  eggs  in  the  coming  few  days.

In  order  to  calm  her  down  and  restore  her  to  her  normal  self,  keep  the  tank's  lights  switched  off  for  2-3  days  and  do't  make  any  loud  noises  or  sudden  movements  when  near  her.

Alternatively,  you  might  provide  her  with  a  hiding  spot  like  a  clay  pot  or  cover  the  tank  with   sheet  for  2-3  days.

But  before  you  do  any  of  this,  search  her  for  any  sign  of  injury,  especially  on  the  jaw,  that  may  require  treatment.

These  are  my  prime  suspicions.  However,  as  Sumit  said,  some  good  pictures  or  a  clear  video  would  have  given  a  better  impression  of  the  situation.
rajshekar_P
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:30 am Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Hi  shashank,

It  happened  with  my  flowerhorn  pair  also,  when  I  removed  the  partition  I  noticed  that  they  bite  eachothers  lips  and  start  playing  in  the  begining  I  thaught  they  must  me  in  a  phase  of  breeding....but  later  i  saw  the  scars  on  female  body  and  I  understood  that  they  have  not  reached  the  maturation  phase  for  breeding  (usually  the  male  tries  dominating  and  makes  the  scars  on  the  female  body  when  the  lights  are  turned  off...you  see  this  stage  when  the  male  or  the  female  is  not  matured  for  breeding),  so  i  seperated  the  pairs  again....after  which  they  are  fine.  

May  be  the  say  situation  in  your  condition  I  am  not  sure......

I  may  be  wrong  but  this  is  what  I  observed  from  my  FH  pair....

Thanks
 Rajshekar
shashank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:37 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Couldn't  figure  out  how  to  upload  pics  directly  so  i'm  sharing  the  link  for  my  album.  Please  look  at  the  pics  and  tell  me  what  is  the  condition  called  and  how  to  treat  it.  

https://picasaweb.google.com/102370163467392936585/Flowerhorn?authkey=Gv1sRgCLa-2uX98M--aA
shashank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:56 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Kastor48252  wrote  (View  Post):                

After  reading  the  elaborate  history  that  you  provided,  I  think  that  there  might  be  nothing  wrong  with  your  fish.  Female  flowerhorns  do  display  such  behaviour  when  angry  or  frightened  or  when  in  heat.  She  simply  seems  to  be  either  pissed  off  or  horny  dude.  She  might  even  lay  eggs  in  the  coming  few  days.

In  order  to  calm  her  down  and  restore  her  to  her  normal  self,  keep  the  tank's  lights  switched  off  for  2-3  days  and  do't  make  any  loud  noises  or  sudden  movements  when  near  her.

Alternatively,  you  might  provide  her  with  a  hiding  spot  like  a  clay  pot  or  cover  the  tank  with   sheet  for  2-3  days.

But  before  you  do  any  of  this,  search  her  for  any  sign  of  injury,  especially  on  the  jaw,  that  may  require  treatment.

These  are  my  prime  suspicions.  However,  as  Sumit  said,  some  good  pictures  or  a  clear  video  would  have  given  a  better  impression  of  the  situation.                

The  details  were  elaborate  to  provide  you  with  an  idea  of  the  tank  setup   Smile  I  don't  have  a  clay  pot  big  enough  for  her  to  hide  in,  plus  about  noises,  unfortunately  the  tank  is  right  next  to  the  TV  so  it  wouldn't  be  possible  to  avoid  noise  entirely.  I'll  try  covering  it  with  a  sheet  though.  Have  already  uploaded  the  pics  to  my  alnum  and  the  link  is  in  the  previous  post.

Here's  a  link  to  the  video,  sorry  about  the  quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdKvdb0yAFg
Rohitskapoor
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Shashank,

Got  hooked  to  your  problem,  was  searching  the  net  and  found  the  below  link,  hope  its  helpfull  to  you.

http://www.flowerhornusa.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t11519.html

All  the  Best.

Regards,
 Rohit
shashank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:46 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Rohitskapoor  wrote  (View  Post):                
Shashank,

Got  hooked  to  your  problem,  was  searching  the  net  and  found  the  below  link,  hope  its  helpfull  to  you.

http://www.flowerhornusa.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t11519.html

All  the  Best.

Regards,
 Rohit                

Thanks  for  the  link,  i'd  read  it  yesterday  before  posting  the  thread.  In  their  case  the  WHOLE  fish  turned  black,  but  in  my  case  its  only  till  the  gills.  Plus  the  fish  was  its  normal  self,  but  mine's  is  not  eating  and  has  become  lethargic  also.
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:07 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

I  just  saw  the  pics  and  vid.  I  must  say  that  your  fish  are  healthy  and  huge.  Rather  the  female  is  too  huge  for  the  male.  Nothing  I  had  expected.

I  still  think  that  the  fish  is  acting  out  of  stress,  the  prime  cause  being  hormonal.  She  might  very  well  be  having  some  fertility  issues,  considering  her  size  and  age.

That's  not  a  part  of  fading.  Certainly  not  at  that  age  and  size.

I  need  you  to  answer   few  questions  that  have  arisen  in  my  mind  after  seeing  your  fish.
 1  What  is  the  exact  size  of  the  female?
 2  What  size  was  she  when  you  bought  her  2  years  back?
 3  In  the  2  years  that  you  have  had  her,  has  she  layed  eggs?
 4  What  is/was  the  frequency  of  egglaying?
 5  Did  you  ever  try  to  mate  her  before  buying  this  male?  What  ws  your  experience  then?
 6  Did  she  stop  laying  eggs  for  a  long  time  in  this  period?
 7  When  was  the  last  time  that  she  layed  eggs?

Waiting  eagerly  for  your  answers.  Meanwhile,  follow  my  advice  from  the  earlier  post.
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:19 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Something  I  left  out  in  the  previous  post:

Also,  after  watching  the  video,  I  noticed  that  the  female  had  a  very  bulky  belly.
 Tell  me  whether  it  is  normal  for  her  or  has  it  bulged  only  recently.
 Has  she  been  pooping  out   white  thready  poop  or  have  there  been  gas  bubbles  in  it?
 Also,  the  gravel  make  me  concerned.  
 I  have  2  further  concerns  which  I  won't  voice  at  this  stage.  I  will  wait  for  your  answers  to  either  rule  them  out  or  consolidate  them  before  sharing  them  with  you.
shashank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:54 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

I  just  saw  the  pics  and  vid.  I  must  say  that  your  fish  are  healthy  and  huge.  Rather  the  female  is  too  huge  for  the  male.  Nothing  I  had  expected.

I  still  think  that  the  fish  is  acting  out  of  stress,  the  prime  cause  being  hormonal.  She  might  very  well  be  having  some  fertility  issues,  considering  her  size  and  age.

That's  not  a  part  of  fading.  Certainly  not  at  that  age  and  size.

I  need  you  to  answer   few  questions  that  have  arisen  in  my  mind  after  seeing  your  fish.
 1  What  is  the  exact  size  of  the  female?
 2  What  size  was  she  when  you  bought  her  2  years  back?
 3  In  the  2  years  that  you  have  had  her,  has  she  layed  eggs?
 4  What  is/was  the  frequency  of  egglaying?
 5  Did  you  ever  try  to  mate  her  before  buying  this  male?  What  ws  your  experience  then?
 7  When  was  the  last  time  that  she  layed  eggs?

Waiting  eagerly  for  your  answers.  Meanwhile,  follow  my  advice  from  the  earlier  post.                

size  of  the  female-Now  about  1  feet  i  guess,  measuring  from  end-to-end

2  What  size  was  she  when  you  bought  her  2  years  back-  Around  4  inches,  she  rew  rapidly  as  she  was  in  the  only  one  in  the  tank  for  a  year.

3  In  the  2  years  that  you  have  had  her,  has  she  layed  eggs-  I  don't  know  for  sure,  but  she  has  cleared  up  a  part  of  the  gravel  and  the  glass  was  visible  in  that  area,  apart  from  it  i  have  no  idea.

4  What  is/was  the  frequency  of  egglaying-No  idea  to  be  honest.
 5  Did  you  ever  try  to  mate  her  before  buying  this  male?  What  ws  your  experience  then-No,  the  first  time  i  tried  was  last  thursday  and  the  fight  got  rather  vicious,  so  i  put  the  separator  back.

7  When  was  the  last  time  that  she  layed  eggs?6&7  i've  no  idea,  but  since  the  fight  lst  thursday  she  hasn't  cleared  up  the  gravel  like  what  she  used  to  do  before.

You  have  a  keen  eye  my  friend  Smile  i  too  noticed  the  bulge,  certainly  a  recent  occurrence  and  i  don't  see  any  poop  in  the  last  few  days  from  her
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:39 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Those  are  two  Humungous  FH  's!  Superb!

remove  gravel   Rock On  
 She  might  have  ate  some   Crying or Very sad  

I  dunno,  have  heard  a  lot  of  cases  :/

But  let  kastor  decide,  i  myself  am  a  newbie   Smile
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:41 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  quick  reply.  Answers  that  lead  to  more  questions.

Let  us  analyze  your  situation  with  respect  to  the  two  main  possibilities:
 1  Infertility.
 2  Gastrointestinal  Tract  obstruction.  (  a  more  serious  concern  )

You  bought  a  4"  flowerhorn  2  years  back  and  placed  it  alone  in  a  tank  with  gravel.  The  flowerhorn  exhibited  fast  growth  and  good  development.  It  used  to  clear  up   the  gravel  for  a  nesting  spot  but  you  haven't  seen  any  eggs  till  now.  Now  the  flowerhorn  is  12  inches  long.  Is  it  correct?

The  question  that  immediately  arises  in  my  mind  is,  'What  led  you  to  believe  that  your  flowerhorn  is  a  female,  in  the  first  place?'

Your'e  flowerhorn  might  very  well  be  a  male.  Notice  that  in  your  video,  the  male  has  cleared  a  patch  of  gravel  for  nesting.  Males  exhibit  that  behaviour  primarily  to  attract  a  female  to  lay  in  their  nest.  In  the  absence  of  a  male,  the  female  alone  takes  up  the  role.

If  the  flowerhorn  is  a  female  at  all,  she  is  currently  infertile.  Female  flowerhorns  can  stop  laying  eggs  at  will.  I  had  a  female  flowerhorn  who  was  mated  with  a  male.  They  were  a  set  pair  and  were  housed  together.  This  female  laid  eggs  every  month  without  fail.  One  darned  night,  my  airpump  stopped  working  due  to  short  circuit  and  the  male  died.  His  female  mate  stopped  laying  eggs  for  the  next  6  months.  A  form  of  self  imposed  ifertility  in  the  absence  of   /  the  grief  of  the  passing  of  a  mate.  But  after  six  months,  she  resumed  her  monthly  egg  laying.  At  this  time,  she  showed  a  colouration  similar  to  your  fish,  with  the  body  pale  and  the  head  and  fins  totally  dark.  Returned  to  her  normal  colour  after  laying  the  eggs.

Now  coming  to  the  more  serious  possibility  of  acute  bloating  due  to  alimentary  tract  obstruction.  If  it's  true,  its  an  emergency  as  it  might  very  well  lead  to  your  fish's  death  in  a  few  days.

The  gravel  concern  me  since  there  is  a  chance  of  accidental  swallowing  and  impaction  of  a  piece  of  gravel  during  display  of  aggression  and  a  fight.  It  will  be  great  if  you  remove  the  gravel  and  keep  your  flowerhorns  in  a  barebottom  in  the  future.

If  the  case  is  such,  there  is  very  little  that  can  be  done.  But  I  need  you  to  conduct  a  small  procedure  to  come  to  a  diagnosis.  It  includes  handling  the  fish  out  of  the  water.  I'll  guide  you  through  it.

You  will  need:
 1)  A  bucket  filled  upto  6-7inches  with  dechlorinated  water,  containing  1  teaspoon  of  rocksalt  and  4  drops/liter  of  methylene  blue.
 2)  A  soft  clean  cotton  cloth  or  an  old  cotton  vest.
 3)  A  good  torchlight.

Procedure:
 Fill  the  bucket  with  6-7inches  of  dechlorinated  water  such  that  the  fish  is  just  completely  submersible.  Add  1  teaspoon  of  noniodized  salt  and  4  drops  per  liter  of  methylene  blue.  Agitate  the  water  to  dissolve  all  contents  well.  Wait  for  10  minutes.
 Get  someone  to  assist  you  in  the  procedure  if  possible.
 Trim  your  nails.  Wash  and  scrub  your  hands  clean  upto  the  elbows.  
 Soak  the  clean  soft  cotton  cloth  with  the  water  in  the  bucket  and  use  it  while  handling  the  fish.  
 Now  remove  the  fish  gently  into  the  bucket  and  wait  for   couple  of  minutes.

Now  using  the  soaked  cloth,  remove  the  fish  out  of  the  water.  Using  a  tip  of  the  cloth  wrapped  around  your  finger,  open  the  fish's  mouth  to  the  full,  gently  and  shine  the  torch  into  its  depths.  Inspect  the  entire  cavity,  especially,  the  furthest  part  and  see  whether  you  can  spot  any  impacted  gravel.
 If  yes,  take  him  to  a vet  or  attempt  to  remove  it  with  assistance,  using  a  pair  of  forceps  or  any  blunt  tipped  angular  probe,  carefully.  

Next,  using  the  cloth,  remove  the  fish  out  of  the  water,  but  still  in  the  bucket  (  So  that  even  if  it  were  to  slip,  it  will  slide  smoothly  into  the  water  without  hurting  itself  )  and  turn  it  over.  Now  gently  squeeze  the  bulging  belly  from  one  side  at  a  time,  using  the  soft  part  of  your  fingertip.  The  pressure  should  be  gentle.  While  doing  so,  get  your  assistant  to  shine  the  torch  upon  the  anogenital  region  and  look  out  for  any  discharge  (like  clear  fluid  or  gas  or  poop  or  pus  )  or   herniation.  Ease  on  the  pressure  if  such  a  thing  occurs.  Feel  whether  you  can  feel  a  hard  lump  in  the  abdomen  at  any  point.  Do  this  in  a  intermittent  fashion  by  releasing  the  fish  back  in  the  water  at  30  second  intervals.  Palpate  the  entire  abdomen.  
 In  case  of  pus  or  white/bloody  discharge  or  gas,  treatment  with  metronidazole  (flagyl)  is  recommended  for  both  fish.
 In  case  of  a  hard  lump,  consult  a  vet  or  wait  for  the  fish  to  naturally  vomit  out  or  pass  out  the  gravel.  But  the  chances  of  survival  in  this  case  are  faint.

After  the  procedure,  even  if  there  is  no  abnormality  detected,  keep  the  fish  in  this  medicated  and  aerated  bath  for  2  days  before  introduction  into  the  barebottom.

I  don't  intend  to  freak  you  out,  but  those  are  the  likely  possibilities.  Lets  hope  that  its  only  a  mood  swing  and  not  anything  serious.  

Waiting  for  your  reply.  All  the  best.  Thumb Up
shashank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

Let  us  analyze  your  situation  with  respect  to  the  two  main  possibilities:
 1  Infertility.

You  bought  a  4"  flowerhorn  2  years  back  and  placed  it  alone  in  a  tank  with  gravel.  The  flowerhorn  exhibited  fast  growth  and  good  development.  It  used  to  clear  up   the  gravel  for  a  nesting  spot  but  you  haven't  seen  any  eggs  till  now.  Now  the  flowerhorn  is  12  inches  long.  Is  it  correct?

The  question  that  immediately  arises  in  my  mind  is,  'What  led  you  to  believe  that  your  flowerhorn  is  a  female,  in  the  first  place?'

Your'e  flowerhorn  might  very  well  be  a  male.  Notice  that  in  your  video,  the  male  has  cleared  a  patch  of  gravel  for  nesting.  Males  exhibit  that  behaviour  primarily  to  attract  a  female  to  lay  in  their  nest.  In  the  absence  of  a  male,  the  female  alone  takes  up  the  role.

If  the  flowerhorn  is  a  female  at  all,  she  is  currently  infertile.  Female  flowerhorns  can  stop  laying  eggs  at  will.  I  had  a  female  flowerhorn  who  was  mated  with  a  male.  They  were  a  set  pair  and  were  housed  together.  This  female  laid  eggs  every  month  without  fail.  One  darned  night,  my  airpump  stopped  working  due  to  short  circuit  and  the  male  died.  His  female  mate  stopped  laying  eggs  for  the  next  6  months.  A  form  of  self  imposed  ifertility  in  the  absence  of   /  the  grief  of  the  passing  of  a  mate.  But  after  six  months,  she  resumed  her  monthly  egg  laying.  At  this  time,  she  showed  a  colouration  similar  to  your  fish,  with  the  body  pale  and  the  head  and  fins  totally  dark.  Returned  to  her  normal  colour  after  laying  the  eggs.

Now  coming  to  the  more  serious  possibility  of  acute  bloating  due  to  alimentary  tract  obstruction.  If  it's  true,  its  an  emergency  as  it  might  very  well  lead  to  your  fish's  death  in  a  few  days.

The  gravel  concern  me  since  there  is  a  chance  of  accidental  swallowing  and  impaction  of  a  piece  of  gravel  during  display  of  aggression  and  a  fight.  It  will  be  great  if  you  remove  the  gravel  and  keep  your  flowerhorns  in  a  barebottom  in  the  future.

If  the  case  is  such,  there  is  very  little  that  can  be  done.  But  I  need  you  to  conduct  a  small  procedure  to  come  to  a  diagnosis.  It  includes  handling  the  fish  out  of  the  water.  I'll  guide  you  through  it.

You  will  need:
 1)  A  bucket  filled  upto  6-7inches  with  dechlorinated  water,  containing  1  teaspoon  of  rocksalt  and  4  drops/liter  of  methylene  blue.
 3)  A  good  torchlight.

Procedure:
 Fill  the  bucket  with  6-7inches  of  dechlorinated  water  such  that  the  fish  is  just  completely  submersible.  Add  1  teaspoon  of  noniodized  salt  and  4  drops  per  liter  of  methylene  blue.  Agitate  the  water  to  dissolve  all  contents  well.  Wait  for  10  minutes.
 Soak  the  clean  soft  cotton  cloth  with  the  water  in  the  bucket  and  use  it  while  handling  the  fish.  
 Now  remove  the  fish  gently  into  the  bucket  and  wait  for   couple  of  minutes.

Now  using  the  soaked  cloth,  remove  the  fish  out  of  the  water.  Using  a  tip  of  the  cloth  wrapped  around  your  finger,  open  the  fish's  mouth  to  the  full,  gently  and  shine  the  torch  into  its  depths.  Inspect  the  entire  cavity,  especially,  the  furthest  part  and  see  whether  you  can  spot  any  impacted  gravel.
 If  yes,  take  him  to  a vet  or  attempt  to  remove  it  with  assistance,  using  a  pair  of  forceps  or  any  blunt  tipped  angular  probe,  carefully.  

Next,  using  the  cloth,  remove  the  fish  out  of  the  water,  but  still  in  the  bucket  (  So  that  even  if  it  were  to  slip,  it  will  slide  smoothly  into  the  water  without  hurting  itself  )  and  turn  it  over.  Now  gently  squeeze  the  bulging  belly  from  one  side  at  a  time,  using  the  soft  part  of  your  fingertip.  The  pressure  should  be  gentle.  While  doing  so,  get  your  assistant  to  shine  the  torch  upon  the  anogenital  region  and  look  out  for  any  discharge  (like  clear  fluid  or  gas  or  poop  or  pus  )  or   herniation.  Ease  on  the  pressure  if  such  a  thing  occurs.  Feel  whether  you  can  feel  a  hard  lump  in  the  abdomen  at  any  point.  Do  this  in  a  intermittent  fashion  by  releasing  the  fish  back  in  the  water  at  30  second  intervals.  Palpate  the  entire  abdomen.  
 In  case  of  pus  or  white/bloody  discharge  or  gas,  treatment  with  metronidazole  (flagyl)  is  recommended  for  both  fish.
 In  case  of  a  hard  lump,  consult  a  vet  or  wait  for  the  fish  to  naturally  vomit  out  or  pass  out  the  gravel.  But  the  chances  of  survival  in  this  case  are  faint.

After  the  procedure,  even  if  there  is  no  abnormality  detected,  keep  the  fish  in  this  medicated  and  aerated  bath  for  2  days  before  introduction  into  the  barebottom.

I  don't  intend  to  freak  you  out,  but  those  are  the  likely  possibilities.  Lets  hope  that  its  only  a  mood  swing  and  not  anything  serious.  

Ok  it  may  be  a  case  of  swallowed  gravel  as  you  suspect,  because  this  behaviour  was  after  the  fight  they  had  so  in  that  aggression  i   think  it  might  have  accidently  swallowed  a  small  piece.   I  just  tried  to  inspect  the  cavity  using  a  a  torch,  though  its  stupid  to  conclude,  i  fortunately  found  nothing.  I  pray  it  hasn't  swallowed  anything.

The  reason  why  i  thought  it  was  a  female  was  because  even  when  it  was  alone  in  the  tank  it  never  cleared  up  the  gravel  like  what  the  male  did,  no  head  growth  (i  know  it  can  happen  with  males  too)plus  the  inspection  around  the  anus  also  pointed  out  it  was  a  female,  though  i'm  not  fully  sure  of  it.

So  in  the  unfortunate  event  of  it  having  swallowed  gravel,  and  if  i  can't  remove  it,  do  you  have  any  idea  who  are  the  people  who  may  be  able  to  help  me  out  ?  I've  never  come  across  a  vet  who  looks  at  fishes  so  not  entirely  sure.  Are  the  fisheries  department  people  of  some  help  ?

I  really  hope  it  comes  through  this  safe   :(

EDIT:  Should  i  remove  the  gravel  right  away  ?  won't  it  seriously  affect  the  nitrogen  cycle  in  the  tank  and  affect  the  fish  ?
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:44 pm Post subject: Re: Flowerhorn face turns black, not eating since 5 days. He Reply with quote

shashank  wrote  (View  Post):                

1  Infertility.

You  will  need:
 3)  A  good  torchlight.

Procedure:

Ok  it  may  be  a  case  of  swallowed  gravel  as  you  suspect,  because  this  behaviour  was  after  the  fight  they  had  so  in  that  aggression  i   think  it  might  have  accidently  swallowed  a  small  piece.   I  just  tried  to  inspect  the  cavity  using  a  a  torch,  though  its  stupid  to  conclude,  i  fortunately  found  nothing.  I  pray  it  hasn't  swallowed  anything.

The  reason  why  i  thought  it  was  a  female  was  because  even  when  it  was  alone  in  the  tank  it  never  cleared  up  the  gravel  like  what  the  male  did,  no  head  growth  (i  know  it  can  happen  with  males  too)plus  the  inspection  around  the  anus  also  pointed  out  it  was  a  female,  though  i'm  not  fully  sure  of  it.

So  in  the  unfortunate  event  of  it  having  swallowed  gravel,  and  if  i  can't  remove  it,  do  you  have  any  idea  who  are  the  people  who  may  be  able  to  help  me  out  ?  I've  never  come  across  a  vet  who  looks  at  fishes  so  not  entirely  sure.  Are  the  fisheries  department  people  of  some  help  ?

I  really  hope  it  comes  through  this  safe   :(

EDIT:  Should  i  remove  the  gravel  right  away  ?  won't  it  seriously  affect  the  nitrogen  cycle  in  the  tank  and  affect  the  fish  ?                

We'll  decide  on  his  sex  when  times  are  better.

Did  you  try  palpating?

The  gravel  shouldn't  have  been  there  in  the  first  place.  Remove  them  as  soon  as  possible.  Siphon  out  the  wastes  from  the  bottom  and  conduct  a  50-60%  water  change.  See  to  it  that  the  water  is  properly  dechlorinated.

You're  right  about  the  vets  though.  Very  few  of  them  actually  treat  fish.
 If  there  is  any  impacted  gravel  at  all  and  it  ain't  visible  from  the  mouth,  it's  hard  to  be  removed  by  any  procedure.

Since  the  diagnosis  isn't  confirmed,  emetics  cannot  be  advised.  Lets  wait  and  watch  for  future  developments.  Let  me  know  as  soon  as  you  spot  something  new.

Hope  that  he  gets  well  soon.  Flowers
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Diseases & Cures All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: