26. Guest
27. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,988

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Other Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:11 pm Post subject: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone? Reply with quote

i  bought  a  controller  that  is  110v  -  60hz  from  usa,  im  scared  to  plug  it  in.  here  you  get  those  cheap  converters  and  nothing  genuine.  anyone  ever  made  these  things  work  here?  any  electronic  engineer  into  this  hobby?
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 am Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

Check  with  this  guy.  Mr.  Manu  Bhai  Patel  from  Kundan  electronics  28191606  
 they  are  manufacturers.
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:29 am Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

I  have  two  Rena  110  v  cansiter  filters  running  on  my  tanks.  1  is  over  5  years  and  the  other  is  been  running  for  about  3  years  now.
 I  am  using  the  local  convertors  and  have  not  faced  any  issues  so  far.  They  run  24x7  on  my  tanks.

hope  this  helps..
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:15 am Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

are  thet  60Hz??
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:19 am Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

well  the  controller  i  sent  back  to  usa  but  there  are  pumps  which  my  sis  had  bought  from  usa.  not  used  yet  but  will  use  them  now  with  converter.  have  you  guys  ever  checked  Hz?  i  read  that  you  get  step  up  step  down  converters  which  help  you  with  Hz.  usa  is  60Hz  and  ours  is  50Hz.
ravi_737
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

well  never  bothered  about  the  hertz..  i  only  bothered  about  the  volts.  dont  know  if  i  was  lucky.

(  But  thinking  of  hertz  i  really  dont  know  if  we  get  anywhere  close  to  50  hz  at  our  homes..  my  uncle  used  be  a  chief  operations  engineer  in  one  of  the  thermal  plants  in  chennai  and  he  had  a  monitor  at  his  home  which  monitored  a  few  things...one  of  the  display  was  for  hertz  and  i  never  saw  it  gove  above  30-35  hz  and  this  was  right  at  the  source  where  
 electricity  was  produced.  this  was  again  a  govt  run  plant  a  decade  or  so  back...  not  sure  if  things  are  different  now  )
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:03 pm Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

dont  know
chvvkumar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:06 am Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

ravi_737  wrote  (View  Post):                
well  never  bothered  about  the  hertz..  i  only  bothered  about  the  volts.  dont  know  if  i  was  lucky.

(  But  thinking  of  hertz  i  really  dont  know  if  we  get  anywhere  close  to  50  hz  at  our  homes..  my  uncle  used  be  a  chief  operations  engineer  in  one  of  the  thermal  plants  in  chennai  and  he  had  a  monitor  at  his  home  which  monitored  a  few  things...one  of  the  display  was  for  hertz  and  i  never  saw  it  gove  above  30-35  hz  and  this  was  right  at  the  source  where  
 electricity  was  produced.  this  was  again  a  govt  run  plant  a  decade  or  so  back...  not  sure  if  things  are  different  now  )                

Hmm...35Hz  doesn't  sound  right.  The  mains  frequency  should  not  vary  too  much  (the  Voltage  may  vary  though).  This  is  because,  even  though  most  of  the  the  appliances  in  our  homes  can  handle  greater  variations  in  frequency,  greater  variations  kill  the  whole  power  grid.  

The  power  grid  on  the  whole  runs  lock-step  at  the  same  frequency.  If  the  frequency  falls,  it  means  the  load  on  the  grid  is  high.  If  this  is  not  brought  under  check,  the  generators  at  the  power  plants  need  to  work  harder  to  get  raise  the  output  (remember  how  the  whole  grid  operates  at  the  same  frequency?).  This  can  cascade  into  rolling  failures  to  all  the  generating  stations  connected  to  the  same  grid.

This  web  page  shows  the  real-time  frequency  of  the  UK  power  grid  and  also  explains  why  maintaining  the  frequency  is  so  important.  Notice  how  the  extreme  ends  of  the  scale  are  only  4Hz  apart  (48Hz  to  52Hz).

http://www.dynamicdemand.co.uk/grid.htm

though,  please  correct  me  if  I'm  wrong.
GatorX

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:18 am Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

What  controller  did  you  buy  ?
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:41 am Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

Don't  worry  about  the  frequency.  Make  sure  you  have  the  voltage  right.
AbhishekD
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:58 am Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

Nanomania  frequency  of  electric  supply  is  decided  at  the  power  generation  stage.  I  dont  think  there  are  any  devices  to  change  the  frequency.  Any  equipment  designed  to  run  at  60Hz  can  run  on  50Hz  but  over  a  period  of  time  they  stop  working.  My  experience  is  with  the  motorized  dental  cleaners  of  ORAL  B,  which  I  get  from  US  but  they  dont  last  more  than  a  year  in  India.
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:05 pm Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

always  try  to  go  for  products  which  are  rated  for  universal  ac  voltage  between  85~265VAC.  As  you  have  already  got  them  you  can  try  to  use  with  some  step  down  voltage  stablizers.
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:24 pm Post subject: Re: USA - 110v -60hz and india 220v - 50hz converter? anyone Reply with quote

well  i  already  bought  aqualifter  pumps  from  usa  and  will  start  using  them  with  a  converter.  lets  see.  if  they  dont  last,  will  buy  a  single  doser  for  topup
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Other Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: