197. Guest
198. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,716

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *Jan'16*
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *Jan'16*
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby24
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:28 pm Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

Fantastic  Tank   Clapping
ndnesh
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 am Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

Wow!  Just  finished  reading  the  whole  post  from  day  1  to  today....  must  say,  hats  off  to  you  Chetan!

Amazing  work,  dedication,  imagination  and  observations  that  you  have  shown!  

Surprised   Thumb Up   Cheer   Clapping   Rock On
PatienceWins
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:20 pm Post subject: Re: Tank Diary: It's A Jungle Out There (Non-CO2 Planted Shr Reply with quote

govindsj  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Chetan!
      Definitely  appreciate  your  patience  and  would  like  to  congratulate  you  on  your  tank.  I  just  needed  to  know  if  you  faced  a  lot  brown  smut  that  settles  on  the  leaves  and  drift   wood  and  what  measures  have  you  taken  to  reduce  that.  Your  valuable  inputs  would  be  beneficial.

Govindsj

Tank:  H  2ftX  L  2ft  X  B1ft.

Plants:  Java  moss,  nana  anubias  and  java  ferns.

co2:  Diffused  (  less  then  1bsp)

Fauna:  4  medium  sized  discus  and  a  few  mountain  minnows

Substrate:  Aquaclay
 Light  :  56W  PLL  (Reduced  the  duration  recently  to  3hrs  30min  
                  Time  -  5pm  to  830  pm
 External  canister  Eheim  2217  for  filteration                

I  face  the  same  problem  and  has  been  searching  for  a  solution,  no  success.  I  suspect  Aqua  clay  is  the  issue  as  that  is  the  common  factor  for  both  of  us.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:34 pm Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

Dude  what  is  the  wattage  of  the  lights  u  put  in?
 Wonderful  tank!!
cichlidsphere
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:39 pm Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

Nice  tank
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 pm Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

PatienceWins  wrote  (View  Post):                

govindsj  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Chetan!
      Definitely  appreciate  your  patience  and  would  like  to  congratulate  you  on  your  tank.  I  just  needed  to  know  if  you  faced  a  lot  brown  smut  that  settles  on  the  leaves  and  drift   wood  and  what  measures  have  you  taken  to  reduce  that.  Your  valuable  inputs  would  be  beneficial.
 Govindsj                

I  face  the  same  problem  and  has  been  searching  for  a  solution,  no  success.  I  suspect  Aqua  clay  is  the  issue  as  that  is  the  common  factor  for  both  of  us.                

The  closest  thing  to  brown  smut  that  I  am  currently  facing  in  this  tank  is  shrimp  poop.  There  is  loads  of  it  gathered  up.  It's  settling  on  the  leaves  and  wood  as  well.  There  must  be  even  more  inside  the  bogwood.  I  am  just  trying  to  filter  it  out  as  much  as  I  can  during  the  water  changes.  Don't  know  how  to  get  rid  of  it  without  ripping  everything  apart.  For  starters  though  I  have  got  a  filter  up  and  running.  It  looks  like  brown  powder,  and  is  surely  toxic  in  large  quantities.

Anyone  has  other  ideas  to  tackle  it?

Nick993  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dude  what  is  the  wattage  of  the  lights  u  put  in?  Wonderful  tank!!                

Thanks  man!  Stupidly  enough,  I  don't  really  remember  the  wattage.  But  I  do  know  it's  the  standard  wattage  what  we  get  in  the  LFS.
 Edit:  20w  x  2

Last edited by Chetan3 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 pm Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

Finally  some  filtration

After  almost  of  going  filter-less  for  a  year  I  have  now  got  a  new  filter.  I  wanted  to  get  the  same  Resun  external  filter  which  I  first  had  in  this  (until  the  fall  I  had  which  broke  it),  but  it  has  disappeared  from  the  market.  Allegedly,  the  filter  was  not  a  success  with  high  reports  of  not  working  after  a  few  months  -  like  it  had  started  to  do  for  me.

I  did  not  want  an  internal  canister  filter  since  it  would  ruin  the  look,  and  frankly  I  don't  find  them  much  efficient.  I  like  the  efficiency  and  economy  of  top  filters  (which  is  installed  in  my  other  tank)  however  since  this  is  lidless  aquarium,  a  top  filter  will  not  be  practical.  So  for  months  my  tank  was  lingering  along  with  just  a  humble  aerator.  However  over  time  the  water  started  to  become  hazy  with  lots  of  suspended  matter.

Then  I  remembered  the  HOB  (hang  on  the  back)  filters.They  were  the  rage  at  one  time,  but  now  hardly  any  LFS  stock  them.  But  this  filter  was  still  my  best  bet  (in  terms  of  balancing  economy,  efficiency,  and  looks).  Incidentally  two  weeks  back  I  found  a  single  piece  stocked  in  one  of  the  borivali  LFSs.  And  promptly  went  ahead  and  bought  it.

Here  it  is  ...

The  Dolphin  H-300,  which  claims  to  filter  300  litres/hour.

Frankly  the  filter  compartments  turned  out  to  be  smaller  than  expected,  and  the  sheet  of  mesh  for  mechanical  filtration  is  extremely  thin  for  long-term  functionality.  I  added  another  layer  of  fresh  filter  mesh  that  I  had  lying  around.  It  isn't  the  best,  but  it  ain't  the  worst  either  (yet).  It  got  the  water  dramatically  clear  in  a  few  hours,  and  improved  the  visibility  as  each  day  passed.  The  down-side  is  that  I  have  to  clean  the  mesh  every  other  day.  It  darkens  and  clogs  up.  Hopefully  it  should  get  better  eventually.  I  have  accumulated  an  year's  worth  of  shrimp  poop  in  the  tank,  and  it's  not  pretty.  The  poop  of  course  needs  to  be  manually  siphoned  out.  But  god  there's  just  so  much  shit  in  there!

But  I  overall  I  am  happy  with  the  filter.  It's  doing  its  work  well  and  is  creating  a  pleasant  stream  on  the  surface.  As  the  water  level  will  drop  then  this  stream  will  turn  into  a  waterfall.  But  I  don't  mind  that  since  there  used  to  be  a  waterfall  feature  before  in  the  place  where  the  tank  is.

What  are  my  thoughts  after  going  successfully  an  year  without  a  filter?  ...  having  a  filter  is  recommended,  especially  for  the  mechanical  filtration.  Else  you'll  be  stuck  with  Edit.

here  are  some  pics  of  the  filter  right  after  setup.  The  water  is  extra  murky  because  its  current  got  all  the  shrimp  poop  flying  everywhere  ...

Last edited by Chetan3 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
shreyas023
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:12 pm Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

its  really  amazing  that  you  were  able  to  successfully  keep  up  the  good  work  despite  not  using  a  filter!!!  
 Hats  off  to  your  effort  and  on  a  wonderful  tank..   Clapping
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 am Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

@  jabba,  Deepak267,  Blade2012,  Ram_a_rosi,  chintu,  Bobby24,  ndnesh,  cichlidsphere,  shreyas023

thanks  a  lot  guys,  am  glad  you  like  what  you  see  Thumb Up
crazyomzi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:03 am Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

doesnt  that  power  filter  suck  in  shrimplets??

i  had  a  smaller  filter  similar  to  what  u  have  and  all  my  shrimplets  were  gone  in  a  few  hrs.
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:11 am Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

crazyomzi  wrote  (View  Post):                
doesnt  that  power  filter  suck  in  shrimplets??  i  had  a  smaller  filter  similar  to  what  u  have  and  all  my  shrimplets  were  gone  in  a  few  hrs.                

The  intake  by  itself  sure  can  suck  in  shrimplets.  On  the  second  day  of  installing  the  filter,  while  i  was  cleaning  the  mesh,  i  found  two  juvenile  shrimps  inside  the  filter  -  but  alive.  Ideally  we  need  to  put  another  mesh  around  the  intake  opening  to  prevent  the  shrimp  from  being  sucked  in.  I  still  have  to  do  that  for  this  filter.
 The  shrimplets  in  this  tank  stay  in  the  bogwood.  And  even  before  they  reach  the  filter  intake,  they'll  probably  be  eaten  by  the  cardinal  tetras.

I  am  sorry  for  your  shrimplet  loss.  Do  try  putting  a  mesh  on  the  intake  the  next  time.   Smile
crazyomzi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:15 am Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

have  removed  the  power  filter  now  and  using  a  sponge  filter.

what  plant  is  that  in  the  2nd  and  3rd  pic  which  has  very  tiny  leaves??
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:24 am Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

crazyomzi  wrote  (View  Post):                
what  plant  is  that  in  the  2nd  and  3rd  pic  which  has  very  tiny  leaves??                

That's  riccia  fluitans.

And  yeah,  sponge  filters  are  always  reliable.

Reference:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=842

crazyomzi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:26 am Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

wooooow
 thats  beautiful
 will  get  it  in  my  next  setup
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 am Post subject: Re: It's A Jungle Out There (NonCO2 Planted Shrimp) *29May:E Reply with quote

Pics  update  ...

So  here's  how  the  tank  been  doing  all  these  months.  I  did  some  minor  changes  in  the  scape  over  the  last  few  weeks.  I  also  found  a  miniature  hut  lying  around  which  when  I  placed  in  the  tank  seemed  to  compliment  the  scape.  Including  human  elements  usually  kills  the  natural  look  of  an  aquascape,  but  in  this  case  the  house  does  well.

Have  replaced  the  'dwarf  sagittaria'  with  'dwarf  chain  amazon  swords'.  A  rich  riccia  carpet  has  developed  on  the  surface,  owing  to  generous  lighting.
 The  dwarf  marsilea  have  been  growing  alright,  but  not  quick  enough  to  fill  the  carpet  in  all  these  months.  Though  I  had  given  some  of  them  to  a  friend  of  mine  as  well.  
 Have  now  also  got  marsilea  quadrifolia  (aka  giant  marsilea)  which  is  an  impressive  specimen  on  its  own;  as  you'll  see  in  the  pics  below.  It  grows  much  faster  than  its  dwarf  variety.

In  the  fauna,  I  have  transferred  a  pair  of  electric  blue  ramirezi  from  the  other  tank  to  this  one.  They  were  getting  bullied  too  much  by  the  established  clan  of  ramirezis  there.  These  two  became  quite  pale,  as  you  can  see,  so  I  thought  of  giving  them  a  break  and  shifting  them  here.  Will  have  to  see  how  they  behave  towards  the  shrimp  after  they  regain  their  confidence,  on  the  basis  of  which  we'll  decide  if  they  stay  or  go.  At  the  moment  though  they  are  very  nervous.

Quite  a  few  sakura  grade  red  cherry  shrimps  have  sprung  up  in  the  tank.  This  is  one  specimen.

Got  a  school  of  mosquito  rasboras  as  well.  They  are  quite  tiny  as  you  can  see  this  one  next  to  a  shrimp.  They  are  also  very  shy,  needing  plant  cover  to  feel  secure.  They  are  always  under  the  shaded  area  at  the  right  end  of  the  tank.  After  I  got  them,  they  got  so  stressed  that  they  developed  ich.  1-2  died  of  it,  the  rest  recovered  in  a  weeks  time.  Now  they  are  more  adventurous  and  often  dare  darting  into  the  open.  Mosquito  rasboras  are  supposed  to  be  rapid  breeders  ...  we'll  see  if  that  is  true.

The  shrimp  like  hanging  out  on  the  riccia  carpet   :drinking:

The  marsilea  quadrifolia  buds  are  growing  quite  fast.  The  first  clover  hit  the  surface  within  the  first  week  itself.  I'll  leave  you  with  some  more  pics  of  it.  Enjoy!

Last edited by Chetan3 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: