34. Guest
35. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,782

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Would my Canister filter handle these?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Would my Canister filter handle these?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 am Post subject: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

Was  planning  to  build  an  Activated  carbon  chamber  for  my  67Gallon  tank.  The  AC  chamber  would  be  connected  at  the  outlet  of  the  canister  filter  so  that  there  is  less  dirt  in  the  water  to  be  cleaned  by  the  AC.

To  this  plan,  I  wanted  to  add  an  external  CO2  reactor  too..  I  am  currently  using  Dolphin  C1300  canister  filter  (1100  Lt/Hr  flow  rate).  Now  my  question  is  that  can  the  filter  hold  these  two  chambers?  Would  this  affect  the  canisters  function.  Will  the  pump  would  be  given  more  pressure  to  pump  the  water  out  to  the  spray  bar?

The  CO2  reactor  would  be  DIY  and  would  be  around  7-8inch  height.  Would  hold  some  bio-balls  inside  the  reactor.  And  the  AC  chamber  also  would  be  around  the  same  dimension.

Comments  and  suggestions  are  welcome.
Chetan3
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:54 am Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

Wouldn't  the  aerobic  bacteria  die  in  there  because  of  the  excess  co2  induction  in  the  chamber  with  the  bio  balls?  Is  there  some  other  purpose  of  having  bio  balls  in  the  co2  reactor?
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:35 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

The  bio-balls  inside  the  chamber  would  be  rotating  due  to  the  water  flow.  This  will  make  the  CO2  to  break-up  easily  and  mix  with  the  water.  This  method  is  followed  in  most  of  the  external/internal  co2  reactors  available  in  the  market.
Linelogic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:40 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

Chetan,  Bio  Balls  are  usually  used  to  ensure  good  dissolution  of  CO2.  You  inject  the  CO2  and  water  into  a  chamber  with  Bio  balls.  Due  to  the  water  flow  the  bio  balls  will  rotate/move  about  .......  and  this  helps  break  up  the  CO2  bubbles  (  due  to  the  shape  and  movement  of  the  bioballs  )  and  helps  dissolve  C02  better.

Shelly,  I  feel  that  the  flow  would  not  be  sufficiently  strong  from  the  Dolphin  filter  to  power  both  your  AC  chamber  and  Bio  Balls  Chamber.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

Activated  carbon  is  not  suited  for  planted  tanks.
 It  will  absorb  most  of  nutrients  and  plants  will  starve.
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:57 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

Hi  Sandeep,

Please  see  my  below  note:

Activated  Carbon  absorbs  only  Organic  Compounds  and  not  the  in-organic  compounds.  It  absorbs  only  the  chemicals  which  has  Carbon  atom.

All  the  chemicals  that  we  use  as  a  fertilizer  falls  under  in-organic  chemicals!!!

So  I  dont  think  that  activated  carbon  will  absorb  the  fertilizers  that  we  dose  in  the  tank!!!   

Please  see  the  list  on  in-organic  compounds  in  this  list:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inorganic_compounds

A  note  from  Internet  "Activated  charcoal  is  good  at  trapping  other  carbon-based  impurities  ("organic"  chemicals),  as  well  as  things  like  chlorine.  Many  other  chemicals  are  not  attracted  to  carbon  at  all  --  sodium,  nitrates,  etc.  --  so  they  pass  right  through.  This  means  that  an  activated  charcoal  filter  will  remove  certain  impurities  while  ignoring  others.  It  also  means  that,  once  all  of  the  bonding  sites  are  filled,  an  activated  charcoal  filter  stops  working.  At  that  point  you  must  replace  the  filter."

Refer:  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=27484

So  I  dont  know  why  people  say  that  it  would  absorb  all  the  nutrients  from  the  water  column..  

Please  correct  me  if  I  am  wrong...
techikhan
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:15 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

Hi  Shelly,

Activated  Carbon  can  be  expensive  in  a  long  run.  Try  seachem  purigen.  

Having  two  chambers  post  filter  can  reduce  the  water  flow...seachem  purigen  bag  can  be  placed  in  canister  filter  and  only  Co2  reactor  can  be  used  with  Canister  Filter.

Regards,
 TK.
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:20 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

Shelly,

IMO  having  your  reactors  etc  in  Canister  intake  will  be  better.
 So  that  at  the  output  there  is  no  direct  pressure  in  line  of  the  pump.

If  you  ask  for  suggestion  instead,  I  would  say  add  another  extra  pump  to  push  into  the  canister.

Obviously  there  will  be  a  drop  in  pressure,  you  can  calculate  the  l/h  before  and  after  this  arrangement,  hence  calculate  your  risk.  Smile  

All  the  best!!
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:27 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

saikumar  wrote  (View  Post):                

IMO  having  your  reactors  etc  in  Canister  intake  will  be  better.

BAD  IDEA!!  CO2  bubbles/micro-bubbles  get  trapped  and  damage  the  filter  impeller.
 That  is  why  they  are  always  connected  to  the  outlet.
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:41 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

Dear  Jack,

I  have  been  doing  it  long  enough  with  Internal  filters  and  Canister,  never  caused  issue.
 Did  you  see  such  a  casuality  ever  being  reported  apart  from  caution?
 This  could  be  quite  a  similar  myth  like  the  Activated  carbon  report  above.

Still  most  of  these  bubbles  would  have  dissolved  completely  before  they  have  reached  the  impeller.  All  the  more  micro-sized.
 And  what  else  is  the  reason  for  reactor  if  it  still  is  pushing  bubbles  into  the  tank?  Wink
techikhan
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:54 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

Saikumar,

Having  reactors  connected  to  intake  would  quickly  clog  them.

-  TK
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

@  Haneef,

Yes  I  know  that  Activated  carbon  would  be  expensive  in  the  long  run.  Trying  to  get  in  touch  with  the  industrial  filter  guys.  AC  would  be  much  cheaper  from  them  (not  sure  though).  As  mentioned  by  you,  if  we  use  purigen,  then  it  can  be  placed  in  the  canister.  So  I  can  reduce  the  chamber  and  have  only  one  for  the  CO2  reactor.

@  Sai,

I  didn't  want  to  add  any  pump  separately.  Hence  I  was  trying  to  make  the  external  reactor  instead  of  the  internal  reactor  where-in  you  need  a  separate  power  head  to  drive  them.
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:43 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

techikhan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Saikumar,

Having  reactors  connected  to  intake  would  quickly  clog  them.

-  TK                

Got  your  point!

May  be  atleast  the  CO2  reactor  can  stay  there  as  there  is  no  media  to  clog?
 another  benefit  being  gas  ll  stay  in  contact  with  flowing  water  for  more  time.

Shelly,  how  are  the  chances  of  using  an  external  drive  pump?  
 I  know  its  an  extra,  but  atleast  you  will  not  be  loading  one  single  pump.
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:15 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

saikumar  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dear  Jack,

I  have  been  doing  it  long  enough  with  Internal  filters  and  Canister,  never  caused  issue.
 Did  you  see  such  a  casuality  ever  being  reported  apart  from  caution?
 This  could  be  quite  a  similar  myth  like  the  Activated  carbon  report  above.

Still  most  of  these  bubbles  would  have  dissolved  completely  before  they  have  reached  the  impeller.  All  the  more  micro-sized.
 And  what  else  is  the  reason  for  reactor  if  it  still  is  pushing  bubbles  into  the  tank?  Wink                

I  read  so  on  IAH....
 A  senior  member  has  posted  it.  I  simply  re-stated  it.

Even  if  one  choses  to  ignore  it,  TK  has  a  very  strong  point  so  as  to  why  sould  the  reactor  not  be  plugged  to  the  filter  inlet!
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:08 pm Post subject: Re: Would my Canister filter handle these? Reply with quote

josyjames  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Sandeep,
 Please  see  my  below  note:
 Activated  Carbon  absorbs  only  Organic  Compounds  and  not  the  in-organic  compounds.  It  absorbs  only  the  chemicals  which  has  Carbon  atom.

Activated  carbon  does  not  absorb  anything,  it  removes  items  by  adsorbtion,  which  is  different  from  absorption.  it  binds  the  items  to  itself.
 Further  the  presence  or  absence  of  carbon  has  nothing  to  do  with  its  adsorption  with  activated  carbon.
 Chemicals  like  alcohols,  glycols  are  organic  in  nature  but  are  not  removed  by  AC,  on  the  other  hand  inorganic  items  like  iodine  are  removed  by  AC,  gases  like  carbon  mono  oxide  are  not  removed  by  AC.
 Please  further  note  the  presence  or  absence  of  carbon  atom  has  nothing  to  do  with  a  chemical  being  organic  or  inorganic.
 It  is  the  presence  of  Carbon  bond  which  is  the  determining  factor  of  whether  a  chemical  is  organic  or  inorganic.
 For  example  CO2,  CO,  carbonates,  all  contain  carbon  atom  but  are  not  organic  compounds.
 Hence  a  simple  assertion  that  AC  does  not  remove  nutrients  from  water  is  not  correct.
 A  very  good  example  is  EDTA,  which  is  often  used  for  providing  iron  in  planted  tanks,  and  it  is  Removed  by  Activated  carbon.
 Make  a  more  through  study  before  using  activated  carbon  in  your  planted  tank.
 There  is  a  general  consensus  among  various  aquatic  forum  that  AC  is  not  recommended  for  long  term  use  in  planted  tanks  

Check  these  links
 http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2009/10/activated-carbon.html#list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: