182. Guest
183. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,755

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source?
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:48 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

rgg  wrote  (View  Post):                

Also  note  that  there  is  a  mention  that  these  should  not  be  used  with  mosses,  riccia,  and  fissidens.  It  may  cause  them  to  turn  brown  or  even  kill  them.
 Raghu                

I  experienced  this  with  my  moss.
 Most  of  it  has  turned  brownish.I  thought  its  becoz  of  excess  light  
 I  have  anyways  stopped  the  usage  of  glut  for  a  while.
praani
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:18 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Oops!  Both  my  cory's  copped  it  today...  Was  in  a  hurry  and  just  poured  a  bit  of  this  in  the  morning  Thumb Down  ...  Must  be  about  20-25ml...  came  home  and  they're  gone...  the  Angels  seem  healthy  though...  rushed  in  for  the  food...

RIP

saadali
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:24 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

hi,
         the  hyderabad  lot  is  jumping  into  the  gluteraldehyde  bandwagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Hi  Everybody

I  am  using  Gluteraldehyde  @  2  ppm  every  day  in  the  morning  before  light,  this  helped  me  to  clean  the  tank  from  BBA.  However,  it  seems  like  that  it  does  not  have  any  effect  on  green  fuzz/hair  algae.

Recently   I  added  some  amano  shrimps  and  Otocinclus  in  my  tank,  would  you  please  share  your  experience,  what  is  the  maximum  dosage   I  can  get  thru  with  these  live  stock.

I  a  using  45%  Glut  directly  on  tank  drop  wise.

Regards

Rana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:10 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Hi  Rana,
   I  would  not  use  GD  with  Shrimps.....  Cause  they  can  kill  Shrimps  in  no  time.   Since  you  have  used  GD  just  before  turning  lights  on  you  might  not  have  faced  any  problem  as  GD  might  have  broken  down  with  light....  

Just  imagine  when  you  add  GD  and  main  power  is   off,  Soon  you  will  see  all  the  crusts  copped.

This  is  as  per  the  dicussions  that  were  in  seachems  website.  So  better  be  careful  when  using  GD  with  especially  crusts  and  fishes  like  Cory's,  Ghosts  and  delicate  plants.

Raghu
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:17 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Hello  Raghu

Thank  you  for  your  feedback.  I  am  also  anxious  particularly  with  Amano  Shrimps  as  they  are  not  available  easily.

However,  I  will  still  use  Glut  may  be  at  a  lower  dosage,  say  1.0  ppm  everyday.

I  will  share  my  experience  with  all  of  you.

Regards
 Rana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:51 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Given  that  GD  is  not  'co2',  then  using  it  in  tanks  with  surface  agitation  shouldnt  be  a  problem  right?
satyajeet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:24 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

I  managed  to  get  a  2%  solution  of  GD  from  a  local  chemical  supplier.  After  reading  up  about  the  "toxic"  effects  its  supposed  to  have  I'm  still  in  2  minds  about  using  it.

Is  it  so  harmful  even  at  2%  dilution?  or  are  the  references  they  make  is  to  a  solution  that's  a  higher  concentration?

Some  of  you  guys  have  been  using  this  for  almost  a  year  now.  Has  anybody  faced  any  personal  health  issues  due  to  this?  Any  fish  deaths  so  far?

Also  those  of  you  how  are  adding  2-3  drops  directly  into  the  tank,  what  kind  of  dropper  do  you  use.  Would  a  plastic  dropper  the  kind  that  comes  with  nasal  decongestants  do?  Its  a   small  glass  bottle  about  50  ml  with  a  dropper  that's  a  plastic  tube  with  a  rubber  bulb

Finally  what  precautions  do  you  guys  use  when  handling  and  storing  it?

Also  would  5  drops  of  2%  be  the  right  dosage  for  a  35  gallon  tank?

Im  basing  this  on  madans  statement  

madan  wrote:                
I  started  dosing  1  drop  per  2  days  of  concentrated  25%  glutraldehyde  directly  in  my  200  liter  tank                

So  his  25%  solution  is  about  12  times  the  strength  of  my  2%  so  if  he  adds  1  drop  for  his  200  liter,  I  should  12  drops  for  a  200  litre  tank..

But  since  my  tank  is  133  litres  and  I  want  to  take  this  slow  would  5-6  drops  be  the  correct  dose?

Thanks
satyajeet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:27 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Madan,  Arup....  anybody???
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:23 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Satyajeet

You  need  to  maintain  1  to  2  ppm  of  active  glut  in  water  to  have  its  controlled  and  proper  effect.

Since  you  will  be  using  2%  solution,  you  need  to  dose  approx.  6  ml  of  your  2%  solution  for  133  liters.  That  is  approx.  120  drops.

1  drop  of  25%  solution  in  200  liters  is  no  dose  at  all.

Be  careful  about  invertibrates,  and  delicate  plants.  

Although  I  used  it  extensively  before,  I  would  suggest  you  not  to  use  glut  as  Co2  source.  Afterall  it  is  toxic  and  in  long  run,  your  live  stock  may  be  affected,  .  

If  you  want  to  use  it  to  control  BBA  or  brown  algae,  I  would  suggest  go  for  DIY  CO2  and  extra  dose  of  nitrate.  That  will  address  your  requirement.

Regards
 Rana
satyajeet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:27 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Rana  wrote  (View  Post):                
Satyajeet

You  need  to  maintain  1  to  2  ppm  of  active  glut  in  water  to  have  its  controlled  and  proper  effect.

Since  you  will  be  using  2%  solution,  you  need  to  dose  approx.  6  ml  of  your  2%  solution  for  133  liters.  That  is  approx.  120  drops.

1  drop  of  25%  solution  in  200  liters  is  no  dose  at  all.

Be  careful  about  invertibrates,  and  delicate  plants.  

Although  I  used  it  extensively  before,  I  would  suggest  you  not  to  use  glut  as  Co2  source.  Afterall  it  is  toxic  and  in  long  run,  your  live  stock  may  be  affected,  .  

If  you  want  to  use  it  to  control  BBA  or  brown  algae,  I  would  suggest  go  for  DIY  CO2  and  extra  dose  of  nitrate.  That  will  address  your  requirement.

Regards
 Rana                

Hey  Rana,

Currently  im  using  DIY  co2.  One  1.5  litre  bottle  of  bisleri  which  I  refill  every  5  days.  Is  that  enough  for  a  133  liter  tank?

Thanks
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:42 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Satyajeet

How  are  you  using  DIY  CO2  in  your  tank?

Use  a  DIY  CO2  reactor.  It  is  like  a  inverted  plastic  tube;  at  the  top  end  connect  a  small  power  head  outlet  or  the  return  from  your  cannister.  Also  insert  a  air  tube  at  the  top  and  connect  to  your  DIY  bottle..  The  water  will  flow  downward  and  the  gas  will  try  to  move  upward  :  a  good  mixing.

Google  DIY  CO2  reactor  to  have  better  idea.

Regards
 Rana
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:42 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Quote:                
Currently  im  using  DIY  co2.  One  1.5  litre  bottle  of  bisleri  which  I  refill  every  5  days.  Is  that  enough  for  a  133  liter  tank?                  

[Edit  :  Sorry,  I  read  that  as  133  gallon...  it  can  work  for  a  133  liter  if  you  are  using  a  good  reactor  -  I  guess...]

And  yes,  glut  can  be  toxic  to  your  personal  health  even  at  the  2%  conc.  I  think  the  medical  fraternity  gave  up  using  glut  as  a  disinfectant  a  long  time  ago.  Theres  a  lot  of  warnings  on  the  net  about  using  it.

I  used  it  once  for  my  tank  but  gave  up  and  started  using  pressurisd  CO2.  I  never  got  the  kind  of  plant  growth  with  glut  that  I  get  with  CO2.  Of  course,  it  works  wonders  on  algae...

As  for  precautions,  Â I  would  say
 Don't  sniff  it,  handle  it  outdoors  if  required.
 Apparently,  rubber  gloves  provide  no  protection  so  try  not  to  get  it  on  your  skin.
 Don't  let  the  bottle  drop  and  break.  There  is  a  chemical  that  can  neutralize  most  aldehydes  -someone  pointed  this  out  on  the  forum.
 Keep  on  the  topmost  shelf  away  from  the  reach  of  children,  teenagers  and  curious  adults.

Regards,
 Venkat
satyajeet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:48 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

vkv  wrote  (View  Post):                

Quote:                

Nope...

And  yes,  glut  can  be  toxic  to  your  personal  health  even  at  the  2%  conc.  I  think  the  medical  fraternity  gave  up  using  glut  as  a  disinfectant  a  long  time  ago.  Theres  a  lot  of  warnings  on  the  net  about  using  it.

I  sed  it  once  for  my  tank  but  gave  up  and  started  using  pressurisd  CO2.  I  never  got  the  kind  of  plant  growth  with  glut  that  I  get  with  CO2.  Of  course,  it  works  wonders  on  algae...

As  for  precautions,   I  would  say
 Don't  sniff  it,  handle  it  outdoors  if  required.
 Apparently,  rubber  gloves  provide  no  protection  so  try  not  to  get  it  on  your  skin.
 Don't  let  the  bottle  drop  and  break.  There  is  a  chemical  that  can  neutralize  most  aldehydes  -someone  pointed  this  out  on  the  forum.
 Keep  on  the  topmost  shelf  away  from  the  reach  of  children,  teenagers  and  curious  adults.

Regards,
 Venkat                

Hi  Venkat,

The  lab  guy  who  sold  me  the  glut  said  that  at  2%  its  safe..  of  course  I  took  care  to  not  sniff  it  or  let  it  touch  my  hands..  Of  course  then  again  safe  is  a  relative  term...  I  think  it  was  sodium  bisulphite  that's  the  neutralizing  agent...

I  guess  the  lack  of  response  from  the  original  thread  starters  might  be  indicative  that  this  isnt  a  feasible  way  to  go  I  guess,  though  I  know  of  people  who  swear  by  flourish  excel.

Where  are  you  based  in  mumbai?  Im  from  mumbai  too  and  havent  been  able  to  find  a  source  for  pressurized  CO2.

If  you  could  point  me  to  a  source  itll  be  great..  preferably  someone  who  sells  the  whole  setup...

Thanks
 Satya
satyajeet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:55 pm Post subject: Re: Glutaraldehyde as a Co2 source? Reply with quote

Rana  wrote  (View  Post):                
Satyajeet

How  are  you  using  DIY  CO2  in  your  tank?

Use  a  DIY  CO2  reactor.  It  is  like  a  inverted  plastic  tube;  at  the  top  end  connect  a  small  power  head  outlet  or  the  return  from  your  cannister.  Also  insert  a  air  tube  at  the  top  and  connect  to  your  DIY  bottle..  The  water  will  flow  downward  and  the  gas  will  try  to  move  upward  :  a  good  mixing.

Google  DIY  CO2  reactor  to  have  better  idea.

Regards
 Rana                

I  have  a  eheim  2213  canister  filter  that  I  tried  to  use  as  a  reactor..  added  the  co2  tube  into  the  inlet...  works  fine  for  a  few  hours  and  then  it  gets  air-locked  and  I  need  to  remove  the  air  and  prime  it  again  before  I  can  restart  it.

The  outlet  pipe  has  a  lot  of  symmetrical  holes  that  let  the  filtered  water  out,  so  id  need  to  plug  those  if  I  try  to  make  a  reactor  like  you  have  done...

I  was  planning  to  buy  a  hagen  ladder  or  a  glass  co2  diffuser.  Currently  I  use  a  airstone  as  a  diffuser  as  this  is  the  only  option  I  have  at  the  moment...

Any  suggestions?

Thanks
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: