51. Guest
52. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,937

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - started my new discus tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

started my new discus tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:28 am Post subject: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

today  i  started  my  new  discus  tank

before  i  kept  them  in  my  planted  tank  but  as  per  some  advise  i  started  to  moved  them  in  bb  tank

here  image  of  the  tank

please  advise  me  about  the  water  change,food,temp,ph
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

Thumb Up
Deepak267
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:48 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

Good  Luck,  

I  know  most  of  the  discuss  expert  will  advice  to  keep  them  in  BB,  However  I  have  a  plan  to  keep  Discus  in  a  High  Tech  planted  tank.  I  am  just  waiting  my  planted  tank  to  get  cycled.

Deepak
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

Deepak267  wrote  (View  Post):                
Good  Luck,  

I  know  most  of  the  discuss  expert  will  advice  to  keep  them  in  BB,  However  I  have  a  plan  to  keep  Discus  in  a  High  Tech  planted  tank.  I  am  just  waiting  my  planted  tank  to  get  cycled.

Deepak                

i  also  kept  them  in  high  tech  planted  tank  but  moved  them  as  per  some  advice  let  see  how  it  goes  off

and  planted  tank  dont  need  cycle  if  your  planted  tank  has  more  stem  plants.
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:07 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

The  background  sheet  is  distracting.  Change  the  sheet  to  a  plain  sheet.  Black  or  blue  sheet.
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:48 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

Hi  Yajur,

Welcome  to  the  "King's  World".

Good  start  buddy.  

Change  the  background  with  Sky  blue  or  ocean  green  or  simple  white.  Only  light  color  background.  No  Black  or  deep  color  ...

Let  us  know  your  tank  spec.,  lighting,  wc  schedule,  feeding  etc.  etc.

Best  of  luck
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:23 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

abhis9  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Yajur,

Welcome  to  the  "King's  World".

Good  start  buddy.  

Change  the  background  with  Sky  blue  or  ocean  green  or  simple  white.  Only  light  color  background.  No  Black  or  deep  color  ...

Let  us  know  your  tank  spec.,  lighting,  wc  schedule,  feeding  etc.  etc.

Best  of  luck                

tank  size  36*18*18  there  is  no  light  morning  we  may  get  sun  light  other  than  that  no  spl  lighting  feeding  twice  tetra  bits

comeing  to  water  change  i  plan  to  do  50%  every  2  days.
ruchit
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:40 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

I  am  sure  after  shifting  your  fishes  to  BB  you  must  have  definitely  noticed  the  changes  compared  to  housing  them  in  planted.
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:27 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

ruchit  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  am  sure  after  shifting  your  fishes  to  BB  you  must  have  definitely  noticed  the  changes  compared  to  housing  them  in  planted.                

To  be  frank  I  have  to  accept  that.
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:17 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

This  is  the  sanest  thing  you  could  have  done  with  your  fishes!
 Congratulations  on  making  the  perfect  decision.
 When  your  fishes  reach  around  6"  from  nose  to  root  of  the  tail  you  can  always  release  them  in  your  planted  tank  or  make  a  similar  arrangement  like  the  one  in  this  photo.

Keep  at  least  6  discus  in  a  group.My  personal  opinion  is  that  a  group  of  discus  from  the  same  strain  looks  more  stunning  than  a  mixed  bag.If  your  target  is  to  put  them  in  a  planted  tank,  I  would  suggest  you  to  keep  the  blue  variety.A  shoal  of  blue  diamonds  or  cobalts  would  simply  be  irresistible.
 Regarding  to  your  queries  about  water  changes  it  is  the  principle  of  'the  more,the  better'.  The  conventional  concept  is  'the  more  water  changes  a  day  would  keep  the  doctor  away'.
 I  have  always  felt  that  Hikari  discus  bio  gold  is  a  far  superior  food  compared  to  Tetrabits  and  my  fishes  used  to  love  them.Moreover  the  typical  red  tint  that  fishes  exhibit  while  on  a  Tetrabit  diet  can  also  be  a  bit  distracting.For  an  adult  discus  feeding  two  times  a  day  is  sufficient  but  with  babies  and  juveniles,they  definitely  require  a  more  frequent  diet.
 Animal  heart  mix  is  regarded  as  the  finest  food  for  discus  but  avoid  it  if  you  are  not  willing  to  make  massive  water  changes  everyday.Vary  your  fishes'  diet  because  I  have  observed  that  they  can  sometimes  become  bored  of  the  same  food  and  simply  refuse  to  eat.
 Any  pH  level  around  the  7.0  mark  is  regarded  as  discus  friendly  but  make  sure  that  there  are  no  frequent  swings.Temperature  around  the  28  deg  c  mark  is  good  enough  but  ensure  that  there  is  a  difference  of  less  than  2  deg  C  during  a  water  change.
 Do  refer  to  the  sticky  on  this  forum  by  Yogesh  for  a  concise  guide  to  discus  keeping  and  in  case  of  any  other  query  we  will  be  glad  to  share  our  views.
 Good  Luck!
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:09 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

aquarius  wrote  (View  Post):                
This  is  the  sanest  thing  you  could  have  done  with  your  fishes!
 Congratulations  on  making  the  perfect  decision.
 When  your  fishes  reach  around  6"  from  nose  to  root  of  the  tail  you  can  always  release  them  in  your  planted  tank  or  make  a  similar  arrangement  like  the  one  in  this  photo.

Keep  at  least  6  discus  in  a  group.My  personal  opinion  is  that  a  group  of  discus  from  the  same  strain  looks  more  stunning  than  a  mixed  bag.If  your  target  is  to  put  them  in  a  planted  tank,  I  would  suggest  you  to  keep  the  blue  variety.A  shoal  of  blue  diamonds  or  cobalts  would  simply  be  irresistible.
 Regarding  to  your  queries  about  water  changes  it  is  the  principle  of  'the  more,the  better'.  The  conventional  concept  is  'the  more  water  changes  a  day  would  keep  the  doctor  away'.
 I  have  always  felt  that  Hikari  discus  bio  gold  is  a  far  superior  food  compared  to  Tetrabits  and  my  fishes  used  to  love  them.Moreover  the  typical  red  tint  that  fishes  exhibit  while  on  a  Tetrabit  diet  can  also  be  a  bit  distracting.For  an  adult  discus  feeding  two  times  a  day  is  sufficient  but  with  babies  and  juveniles,they  definitely  require  a  more  frequent  diet.
 Animal  heart  mix  is  regarded  as  the  finest  food  for  discus  but  avoid  it  if  you  are  not  willing  to  make  massive  water  changes  everyday.Vary  your  fishes'  diet  because  I  have  observed  that  they  can  sometimes  become  bored  of  the  same  food  and  simply  refuse  to  eat.
 Any  pH  level  around  the  7.0  mark  is  regarded  as  discus  friendly  but  make  sure  that  there  are  no  frequent  swings.Temperature  around  the  28  deg  c  mark  is  good  enough  but  ensure  that  there  is  a  difference  of  less  than  2  deg  C  during  a  water  change.
 Do  refer  to  the  sticky  on  this  forum  by  Yogesh  for  a  concise  guide  to  discus  keeping  and  in  case  of  any  other  query  we  will  be  glad  to  share  our  views.
 Good  Luck!                

i  really  thanks  full  for  you  made  clear  point  about  the  discus  when  i  kept  in  planted  tank

now  i  can  feel  the  difference  in  there  activity  and  i  can  hear  there  mind  voice  saying  thanks  for  species  tank  when  i  had  them  in  planted  there  bit  felt  unsecure  but  now  there  swim  freely

and  i  ordered  the  Hikari  discus  bio  gold  and  going  to  place  one  thermometer.

+  bump  the  water  change  upto  70  to  80  %  per  day.

once  again  i  thank  for  your  advise  and  motivation.
aquarius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:15 am Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

Always  a  pleasure  to  exchange  ideas  with  good  hobbyists  like  yourself  who  really  care  about  their  pets  and  can  adapt  to  new  ideas  benefiting  them.
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:16 am Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

All  the  best  yajur  
 Keep  us  posted  on  the  developments  of  the  fishes
yajur
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:24 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

some  busy  weeks  and  bummed  my  water  exhange  to  60%  daily

some  photo  of  them

added  one  driftwood  other  than  that  no  big  changes
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:42 pm Post subject: Re: started my new discus tank Reply with quote

So  discus  fish  is  best  suited  for  BB  tank  or  is  it  just  that  BB  tank  is  easy  to  clean?.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: