46. Guest
47. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,815

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - DIY filter with pet jar
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

DIY filter with pet jar

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:10 pm Post subject: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

Well  this  sunday  Was  doing  maintainance  of  my  tank  and  sound  many  spare  bio  rings  and  foams  laying  around  and  my  internal  filter  was  also  not  working  properly  so  ..took  permission  from  home  ministry  and  borrowed  a  medium  sized  pet  jar  drilled  hole  on  top  cover  and  another  on  the  lower  bottom  at  the  opposite  end  now  placed  the  filter  media  inside  and  divide  it  with  circular  plastic  mesh  that  were  cut  accordingly  now  connected  the  pipes  to  the  inlet  and  powerhead  and  placed  the  unit  on  the  supports  under  the  hood  switched  the  power  on  and  it  started  to  work  doing  decent  job  also  airating  the  water  as  it  falls  down  ..unit  is  hidden  under  hood  so  it  looks  kinda  neat  ..its  simple  and  easy   Smile
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:47 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

rocky2  wrote  (View  Post):                
Well  this  sunday  Was  doing  maintainance  of  my  tank  and  sound  many  spare  bio  rings  and  foams  laying  around  and  my  internal  filter  was  also  not  working  properly  so  ..took  permission  from  home  ministry  and  borrowed  a  medium  sized  pet  jar  drilled  hole  on  top  cover  and  another  on  the  lower  bottom  at  the  opposite  end  now  placed  the  filter  media  inside  and  divide  it  with  circular  plastic  mesh  that  were  cut  accordingly  now  connected  the  pipes  to  the  inlet  and  powerhead  and  placed  the  unit  on  the  supports  under  the  hood  switched  the  power  on  and  it  started  to  work  doing  decent  job  also  airating  the  water  as  it  falls  down  ..unit  is  hidden  under  hood  so  it  looks  kinda  neat  ..its  simple  and  easy   Smile                

You  seem  to  be  in  a  hurry..  wanna  finish  it  off  in  one  go?
 Give  us  some  photos,  some  drama,  the  sweat...  and  the  science.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vicky70l
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:55 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

Very  straightforward  DIY  no  twist  in  life
deepakg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:01 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

Pictures  please.
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:04 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

will  try  and  get  some  my  comp  usb  not  working
royalbijoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:58 am Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

Wow.  The  last  time  I  tried  to  do  one,  it  was  a  terrible  mess.  The  water  started  leaking  after  4  hrs.
 Surprised  how  the  Pet  jar  is  able  to  manage  the  pressure????  Mine  was  a  thick  plastic  air  lock  kind  of  stuff,  and  even  then  failed  to  
 withstand  the  pressure.
 Finally  discarded  and  brought  a  canister,  but  felt  bad  that  my  DIY  failed....  Sad
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:56 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

i  guess  it  all  failed  due  to  pressure  not  getting  distributed  equality   or  vaccum  must  have  been  created  any  ways  i  do  have  a  prototype  it  made  earlier  which  is  still  working  fine  i  will  load  pictures  of  that
royalbijoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:02 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

Alright.  But  that's  not  a  canister..  Its  a  top  filter.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:36 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

ROFL   ROFL   it  looks  like  someone  is  on  saline  in  hospital  Clapping  where  is  the  patient?
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:53 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

did  i  say  canister  ?????
 forget  it  its..people  always  criticise  i  forgot  ..it  works  for  me  thats  it  ...  @  least  tried  to  make  some  thing
royalbijoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

Hahaha.  Just  kidding  rocky.  I  see  you  have  done  some  good  work  on  that  pet  jar  and  its  DIY....  
 People  like  me  will  always  be  there  to  criticize  but  you  know  how  happy  you  were  when  you  got  it  working.

I  guess  canisters  are  a  bit  tough  to  make....  At  least  if  you  do  not  have  rubber  seals  and  good  DIY  skills.
 I  was  a  big  time  loser  when  it  finally  leaked  all  over.I  spend  a  good  3  days  to  procure  the  raw  materials(  +  shifted  people  to  another  room)  and  make  it.....
 The  plastic  started  bulging  ->  joints  expanded  ->  water  leaked  out.  As  simple  as  that.
 I  think  a  large  dia  PVC  pipe  would  have  been  a  better  choice  as  canister  body.  You  get  the  correct  size  reducers  and  adhesives.

I  am  still  in  the  hope  of  making  it  one  day.  The  canister  which  I  have  currently  cost  me  a  bomb  and  its  performance  is  lower
 than  my  9xx  Rs  internal  filter  which  has  a  better  flow.  I  bet  if  I  can  get  the  DIY  canister  leak-proof,  it  would  be  way  cheaper  and  way  powerful  than  any  
 of  those  eheims...  By  the  way  ,  my  aquazonic  canister  burns  45W  for  1800L/H(At  least  that's  what  they  say).....
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:32 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

See  my  filter  Ideas,  I  have  made  all  these  and  are  working  fine.  You  can  also  try  these.  You  idea  is  also  fantastic,  Thumb Up   only  it  looks  a  bit  odd  Chuckle  

Canister  filter  Ideas
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:33 pm Post subject: Re: DIY filter with pet jar Reply with quote

thank  u  guys  was  just  upset  and  thank  u  for  the  ideas  would  try  some  ...and  i  do  hope  some  day  your  diy  canister  works  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: