67. Guest
68. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sergiomiranda_2181
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:55 pm Post subject: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

hello  all

I'm  currently  having  a  3ft  (tank  spec  36in  L,  1ft  B,  1ft  H)

in  this  tank  there's  no  drift  wood  in  this  tank
 and  going  tomorrow  to  get  a  whole  bunch  of  plants

but  there  1  thing  which  is  bordering  me  is  how  to  process  garden  soil  for  a  planted  tank

please  help  and  advice's  are  welcome
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:09 pm Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

I  think  this  link  will  be  useful  to  you.  I  just  tried  the  same  method  for  my  tank  and  looks  like  my  tank  is  doing  fine  with  it.  Cheap  +  DIY

Mineralized  Soil  Substrate  by  Aaron  Talbot

dotfish
sergiomiranda_2181
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:39 pm Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

wow  dude  u  really  have  done  it   Clapping   Clapping   Clapping  

thanks  for  the  info  man  Thumb Up   Thumb Up   Thumb Up  

mucho  gracias  amigo
Darius
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:09 am Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

Serg  mate  -  I  got  some  river  sand  if  you  wanna  come  pick  it  up
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:30 am Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

@sergiomiranda_2181
 You  are  welcome.  All  the  best
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:49 am Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

wow  this  thread  seems  awesome....
 any  idea  where  we  can  get  these

•  Cheap  topsoil  ---  are  these  the  red  mud  we  see  around  us  or  black  soil  from  garden?
 •  Pottery  clay
 •  Dolomite
 •  Muriate  of  potash
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:17 am Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

@jabba
 topsoil  is  -  normal  soil  but  avoid  the  top  2  feet  as  it  may  contains  too  much  added  fertlizers  and  bio  degradable  contents  like  grass  roots,  roots  of  plants  etc  which  will  be  a  PITA  when  you  wash  &  clean   the  mud   everytime
 Pottery  clay  -  check  with  places  where  they  make  pots  or  check  with  art  shops  who  sell  clay  for  clay  modelling,  you  can  skip  it  you  could  add  a  layer  of  laterite   
 dolomite  -  I  couldnt  find,  so  skipped  it
 Muriate  of  potash  -  You  can  get  it  from  your  local  fertilizer  shop,  check  with  them.  I  had  to  replaced  it  with  a  dash  of  Kcl  as  the  fertilizer  shop  guys  couldnt  get  me  muriate  of  potash  all  they  had  was  a  mix  of  NPK.

Overall  result  was  the  local  fertilizer  shop  guys  started  running  away  seeing  me  comming  to  their  shops     ROFL
sergiomiranda_2181
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 am Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

Dags  dude  i  already  got  myself  the  soil  for  the  tank
 and  already  started  the  (process  of  mineral)  the  stuff  man
 but  thanks  anyways   Thumb Up   Thumb Up   Thumb Up   Thumb Up
sergiomiranda_2181
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:33 am Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

here  are  some  pic  of  the  soil  soaking  in  the  sun
   Thumb Up   Thumb Up   Thumb Up
sergiomiranda_2181
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:38 am Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

the  actual  plan  is  to  first  make  a  border  around  the  inside  of  the  tank  
 and  putting  the  red  soil  in  the  center  in  a  sloping  position
 and  the  next  layer  will  be  small  pebbles  (which  i  got  form  the  garden)  
 finally  the  golden  sand  but  after  putting  the  rocks  will  be  planting  the  plants  and  then  the  soil

please  tell  me  if  i  am  going  in  the  right  direction   Thumb Up   Thumb Up   Thumb Up   Thumb Up
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:03 am Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

@sergiomiranda_2181  

please  go  through  that   Aaron  Talbot  thread  completely  as  it  can  give  you  much  better  clarity  regarding  how  it  can  be  done.  Regarding  golden  sand  I  doubt  as  its  gona  compact  the  layer  and  make  substrate  anaerobic  for  sure  which  is  bad  for  plants.  I  think  you  must  look  for  some  corse  gravel  than  fine  sand  I  suppose.  I  think  experianced  seniors  can  chip  in  with  much  more  deetails  on  this
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

jabba  wrote  (View  Post):                
wow  this  thread  seems  awesome....
 any  idea  where  we  can  get  these

•  Cheap  topsoil  ---  are  these  the  red  mud  we  see  around  us  or  black  soil  from  garden?
 •  Pottery  clay
 •  Dolomite
 •  Muriate  of  potash                

Crushed  egg  shells  and  Epsom  salt  can  replace  the  Dolomite..  but  if  your  water  is  hard  then  you  can  skip  this.
 and  wood  ash  can  replace  the  Muriate  of  potash,  or  you  can  dose  Potassium  Sulphate  in  the  water  column  when  you  start  planting.
 Potassium  is  the  only  thing  that  might  be  in  short  in  this  kind  of  setups..  so  you  will  have  to  supplement  it  at  least  weekly  in  minute  doses.  so  that  the  plants  will  use  up  other  nutrition  which  is  available  in  abundance..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:50 pm Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

Nidhi  wrote  (View  Post):                

Crushed  egg  shells  and  Epsom  salt  can  replace  the  Dolomite..  but  if  your  water  is  hard  then  you  can  skip  this.
 and  wood  ash  can  replace  the  Muriate  of  potash,  or  you  can  dose  Potassium  Sulphate  in  the  water  column  when  you  start  planting.
 Potassium  is  the  only  thing  that  might  be  in  short  in  this  kind  of  setups..  so  you  will  have  to  supplement  it  at  least  weekly  in  minute  doses.  so  that  the  plants  will  use  up  other  nutrition  which  is  available  in  abundance..                

Nidhi,  the  amount  of  potash  in  woodash  will  be  less  10%  ,  so  he  may  to  look  for  some  other  potassium  source  I  think,  correct  me  if  I  am  wrong
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:55 pm Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

dotfish  wrote  (View  Post):                

Nidhi  wrote  (View  Post):                

Nidhi,  the  amount  of  potash  in  woodash  will  be  less  10%  ,  so  he  may  to  look  for  some  other  potassium  source  I  think                

dot  fish,  
 That's  the  only  thing  that  I  can  think  of  which  can  be  mixed  in  the  garden  soil.  I  don't  add  this  in  my  set  up  hence  I  dose  the  Potassium  Sulphate  solution  directly  in  to  the  water  column...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:23 pm Post subject: Re: please help for 3feet planted tank (with garden soil) Reply with quote

Let  me  add  to  this
 Graphically  Explained

http://infographics.myaquacalc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/mineralized-soil_RGB-01.jpg

Please  post  only  a  link  if  the  image  doesn't  belong  to  you  -  Moderator  
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: