59. Guest
60. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,837

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - New marine aquaria setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

New marine aquaria setup
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Live Rock and Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ritzzzy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:07 am Post subject: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

Hey  guys  I'm  from  Bombay.  Just  starting  with  my  first  marine  aquaria  setup.  

I've  been  studying  quite  a  bit  on  marine  life  and  the  responsibilities.

I've  a  tank  that  measures  30"  (L)  x  15"  (d)  x  22"  (H).

I'm  using  Red  Sea  salt,  a  Azoo  skimmer,  2  x  1800  l/h  powerheads  (1  for  water  movement  &  other  for  skimmer),  1  x  36W  10000k  florescent  tube,  1  x  20  w  actinic  blue  marine  t5,  1  x  20  w  pink  hitachi  tube,  no  substrate  -  bare  bottom.  NO  live  stock  added.  Water  is  added  from  my  Eureka  Forbes  i-nova  purifier  which  has  2  membranes  and  a  UV  filter.

I've  just  added  live  rock  (10  kgs)  purchased  2  days  back  from  an  LFS.  The  LFS  told  me  that  the  rock  is  cured  and  I  can  add  in  the  tank  straightaway,  the  rock  smelled  really  oceanic,  my  nose  didn't  pick  up  any  decaying  smell  from  it,  but  I'm  taking  precautions  and  curing  it  in  the  new  setup  tank.

The  rocks  has  quite  a  few  purple  areas  that  I  can  see,  which  I  decode  as  coralline  algae.  I've  also  seen  a  few  worms  crawling  here  and  there.  The  main  thing  that  i  can't  get  is,  whether  everything  else  on  the  rock  is  good,  really  confused.

I'm  running  the  skimmer  and  using  the  other  powerhead  to  give  the  tank  a  heavy  water  motion  inside.  Yesterday  I  kept  all  three  lights  on  for  12  hrs  (stupidly),  then  read  more  and  today  corrected  that  to  5-6  hrs  of  only  actinic  blue  light.  Is  this  right  ?

I'm  attaching  a  video  and  some  pictures  of  the  live  rock  and  want  the  experienced  aquarists  here  to  see  if  everything  is  in  place.

And  before  I  forget,  I've  kept  the  salinity  at  1.023,  PH  meter  and  ammonia  test  kit  I'll  be  getting  tomorrow.  I'm  thinking  of  dosing  calcium  and  strontium  too.  Please  advise.

Also  please  comment  on  everything.

Link

Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:20 am Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

Everything  looks  fine.

Light  can  be  left  on  for  12  hrs,  not  a  problem.  In  fact,  10-12  hrs  is  usually  the  norm.

Whether  cured  or  not,  it  will  be  fine  after  the  cycle.  There  don't  seem  to  be  any  pests  on  your  rock.  Make  sure  you  have  a  proper  cycle  and  add  livestock  very  slowly.

Get  an  NO2  test  kit.

"RANT"  And  for  the  love  of  god,  why  does  everyone  want  to  dose  calcium  and  strontium?  What  are  you  dosing  it  for?  If  its  for  coralline  growth,  just  change  10%  water  every  week  with  a  good  salt  and  that's  more  than  enough.  

DO  NOT  DOSE  ANYTHING  THAT  YOU  CANNOT  TEST  FOR!
ritzzzy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:19 am Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

Thanks  Nonza.  
 The  love  for  Calcium  and  Strontium  comes  from  all  the  international  forums,  they  prescribe  it  for  the  Coralline  Algae.  But  as  you  say  don't  put  in  anything  that  cannot  be  tested,  rightly  so.  

The  NO2  test  results  show  the  value  at  0.5  ppm.  

Is  the  overall  lights  per  gallon  sufficient  ?
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 am Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

NO2  @  0.5ppm.  When  did  you  begin  the  cycle?  Seems  in  order  thus  far.

Forget  about  the  lights  per  gallon  rule.  It  depends  on  what  you  intend  to  keep  in  the  tank.  If  its  fish  only,  it  doesn't  really  matter,  its  only  aesthetics.  If  you  want  to  keep  mushrooms  etc,  it  may  well  just  be  enough.

If  i  were  you,  just  run  the  tank  with  very  few  fish,  small  fish,  no  tangs,  for  say  6  months.  Get  the  feel  of  things  and  then  decide.  

If  you  want  to  save  money,  post  your  intentional  livestock  purchases  here,  so  you  can  receive  a  response  from  more  experienced  members.
ritzzzy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:16 pm Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

Began  the  cycle  last  Saturday  i.e.  3  days.  

I'm  going  to  keep  only  small  fish  at  first,  that  is  1  month  from  now.  I'm  gonna  add  the  cleaning  crew  before  that.  

What  suggestions  for  the  cleaning  crew  ?  

I  was  thinking  abt  a  bare  bottom  tank  or  keeping  a  part  of  area  with  aragonite  sand.  As  some  fishes  like  sand.  What  do  u  think  abt  this  ?

P.S.  -  I'm  gonna  add  1  more  actinic  blue  tube  as  I'm  unhappy  with  the  really  white  light.  Feels  blue  is  really  lacking.
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:27 pm Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

If  you  are  comfortable  with  the  barebottom  look,  then  stick  with  bare  bottom.  Less  detritus  and  easier  to  clean.  Plus  cheaper.  If  going  barebottom,  avoid  wrasses  and  the  like.  Currently,  my  tank  has  about  0.5  inch  of  sand,  almost  BB.  No  wrasses,  only  damsels,  tangs,  dwarf  angels  etc

What  are  you  using  to  cycle  the  tank?

Cleaning  Crew:  Get  Turbo  snails.  4  or  5  should  be  enough.

Additional  blue  will  always  look  good.  Go  for  it
jaival
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

which  skimmer  you  are  planning  to  use  ??  

@Nonza  what  dwarf  angels  you  have  ??
asak
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:29 pm Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

I  like  bare  bottom  tanks.  They  are  easier  to  maintain  provided  you  have  enough  flow  to  keep  the  detritus  in  suspension.  I  think  you  will  need  a  better  skimmer  in  the  long  run.  You  could  go  for  a  good   HOB  skimmer  if  you  do  not  have  a  sump.  With  regards  to  the  fish  you  could  still  go  for  some  very  pretty,  hardy  and  inexpensive  Wrasses  for  a  smallish  bare  bottom  tank  like  all  fairywrasses,  flasher  wrasses  and  the  six  line  wrasse.  The  fairy  and  flasher's  jump  though.
 Lights  like  Nonza  said  will  depend  on  what  invertebrates  you  will  want  to  stock  but  for  the  time  being  you  should  be  ok.  
 You  do  not  need  to  wait  for  a  month  before  putting  in  some  fish.  Provided  the  NH3  and  NO2  are  zero  you  could  start  slowly  stocking.  The  rocks  appear  to  be  well  cured.
ritzzzy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:36 pm Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

@nonza  -  I'm  using  nothing  except  the  live  rock  to  cycle  the  tank.  I've  added  some  bacteria  that  come  in  bottle.  That's  it.  

@jaival  -  I'm  using  Azoo  tri-super  skimmer.
Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 pm Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

@  ritzzy:  I  don't  quite  buy  the  bacteria  in  a  bottle  idea,  from  locally  available  sources.  Additionally,  almost  all  the  bacteria  i've  ever  used  MUST  be  refrigerated  once  opened.  That  said,  there  are  brands  that  do  work,  though  not  available  locally  that  i  can  think  of.  Measure  the  NO2  daily  and  look  for  the  drop,  once  achieved,  you  could  start  with  a  hardy  damsel.  Stock  slowly.  Most  mistakes  are  made  here.

Where  are  you  located  in  Bombay?

@jaival:  Currently,  I  have  a  Potter's  (1  year+)  &  Keyhole  dwarf  angel  (1  year+).
ritzzzy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:42 pm Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

@asak  -  the  Azoo  skimmer  I've  inherited  from  a  friend  so  I  will  use  it  for  the  time  being.  

I  also  have  quite  a  lot  of  rocks  (Texas  holey),  coral  skeletons,  more  powerheads,  Eheim  2215  canister  filter,  etc.  All  inherited.   :D

I  reside  at  Ghatkopar.
ritzzzy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:28 am Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

Can  you  guys  identify  this  on  my  live  rock

This  is  some  slimy  thing  which  is  present  on  one  of  the  rocks

And  this  too  ?

Nonza
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:32 am Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

1.  First  one  is  alage  -  Difficult  to  guess,  but  I'd  say  cladophora.
 2.  2nd  looks  like  a  sponge
 3.  3rd  is  a  fairly  common  type  of  invertebrate.  Don't  know  what,  but  harmless,  if  that's  what  you're  wondering.

Sent  you  a  PM  also
ritzzzy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:04 am Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

Thanks  a  ton.  

I  guess  I've  to  scrub  the  sponge  off  the  live  rock  and  the  rest  two  can  be  kept  as  it  is  ?
nanomania
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:40 am Post subject: Re: New marine aquaria setup Reply with quote

The  green  thing  is  toadstool  algae,  ifu  break  it,  dont  leave  it  in  the  tank,  throw  it  or  just  leave  it  as  it  is.  rest  of  the  stuff  are  sponges.......  nice,  just  1  advice,  buy  a  SOBO  wave  pump  (it  cheap)  or  buy  a  hydor  ,  1  is  enough  for  your  tank,  so  many  power  heads  can  cause  some  heat  issues.......
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Live Rock and Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: