206. Guest
207. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,886

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Marine Tank: Tank Bred Fishes
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Marine Tank: Tank Bred Fishes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:57 pm Post subject: Marine Tank: Tank Bred Fishes Reply with quote

Hi  all,
 I  am  planning  to  set  up  a  marine  tank.  I  needcopule  of  advices  (to  begin  with)  

1.Is  it  possible  to  know  any  LFS  who  sells  only  tank  bred  fishes?  Ideally,  would  not  like  buy  and  move  fishes  from  their  actual  habitat.

2.  Should  i  keep  the  lights  on  for  8-10  hours  daily  the  way  I  do  it  for  the  planted  tanks?

Bappa
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:33 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Bmukh,

Let  us  know  more  about  the  details  of  the  tank  you  intend  to  keep  -  size,  type  of  fish,  etc.

1.I  am  not  sure  there  are  too  many  tank  raised  fish  in  marine  -  probably  clowns  and  damsels.  Most  fish  would  be  wild  caught.
 2.  Just  for  a  fish  only  tank  ,  you  don't  require  lights  on  continuously.  For  inverts  and  other  'items'  -  yes  you  need  good  lighting  of  the  right  kind  like  for  a  planted  tank.
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:50 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Thanks  Pradeep,
 The  tank  I  have  (already  bought)  is  78X24X24.  

I  stay  in  Gurgaon  where  the  summer  temperature  touches  almost  50!  Therefore,  I  am  not  planning  any  invertebrates,  which  I  gather  from  this  site  and  elsewhere,  will  need  chiller!  Currently,  just  started  things  up  with  damsel  fishes.  The  LFS  in  delhi  suggested  that  the  water  has  to  `condition'  for  a  month  before  I  can  think  of  any  other  fishes.    I  have  two  domino  damsels  sharing  the  territory  with  a  blue  damsel  fish.  I  have  some  rocks-  both  `dead'  and  `alive'.  There  is  an  external  cannister  filter  and  a  skimmer.  The  lights  are  2  (two)    40  W  Hitachi  and  2  (two)  coral  blue  Hitachi  lights  (20  watts)  each.  I  think  I  will  not  light  the  tank  for  more  thn  2-3  hours  a  day  (to  beat  the  heat).  Is  that  fine?

Planning  to  have  some  anemones  and  then  clown  fishes  during  winter.  

Am  I  on  the  right  track?
spongebob
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:34 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

bmukh  wrote:                
The  LFS  in  delhi  suggested  that  the  water  has  to  `condition'  for  a  month  before  I  can  think  of  any  other  fishes....                

i  guess  he  means  to  cycle,  when  he  says  condition..

do  a  bit  of  research  on  marine  'cycling'  to  get  an  idea!

all  the  best

btw,  i  really  doubt  there  are  any  marine  that  are  actually  bred  in  captivity...  i  have  pondered  much  on  these  things  too...  

the  damsels  u  have  are  also  most  probably  wild  caught  too  mate!

take  care
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:10 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  think  you  have  a  good  LFS.  Most  LFS  would  have  sold  you  a  few  hundred  fish  including  f/w  fish    Smile    for  that  massive  tank.

He  was  right  to  tell  you  about  cycling  which  can  also  be  done  fishless.  
 Here  is  a  link  to  an  article  on  fishless  cycling  by  Sandeep  Raghuvanshi.  S/W  cycling  is  similar  but  done  using  only  live  rock.

This  is  a  massive  topic  and  will  take  a  long  time  to  cover,  and  many  of  the  marine  gurus  can  probably  give  you  better  advise  than  I  could.
 A  tank  the  size  of  yours  (~195  gallons)  will  require  a  massive  amount  of  equipment  in  terms  of  lighting,  filtration  and  heating/cooling.
 You  will  need  a  lot  more  lighting  to  keep  anything  other  than  fish  and  invertebrates  like  crabs,  snails  ,  etc.  However  a  tank  that  size  will  take  a  long  time  to  heat  up  and  as  long  as  the  water  temperature  does  not  go  above  30  celsius  you  are  ok.

Anemones  require  a  mature  tank,  pristine  water  and  very  good  lights  so  hold  on  for  a  few  months.
fishcos
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:08 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

hi,

The  central  marine  fisheries  research  institute  (cmfri)  cochin  is  now  selling  tank  bread  percula  clown&  cmfri  mandapam  is  selling  tank  bread  blue  damsels
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:40 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Bappa,

Quote:                
1.Is  it  possible  to  know  any  LFS  who  sells  only  tank  bred  fishes?  Ideally,  would  not  like  buy  and  move  fishes  from  their  actual  habitat.                

There  should  be  a  breeder  who  breeds  marine  fish  in  captivity  for  the  LFS  guy  to  procure  them!  The  fish  are  known  to  breed  successively  in  tanks  but  the  fry  don't  survive  for  long    Crying or Very sad  TBMK
 The  only  method  viable  and  put  to  use  for  commercially  'captive-breeding'  marine  fish  is  enclosed  reef  environment  in  the  sea  itself  which  is  the  most  cost-effective  of  all  other  experements!

Quote:                
2.  Should  i  keep  the  lights  on  for  8-10  hours  daily  the  way  I  do  it  for  the  planted  tanks?                  

Well,  will  you  do  it  for  a  'only  fish'  FW  tank?  Marine  fish  and  fresh  water  fish  are  not  different  from  each  other  -  it  just  their  habitat  that  has  forced  them  to  'osmo-regulate'  and  adapt  to  their  environment!

Quote:                
I  stay  in  Gurgaon  where  the  summer  temperature  touches  almost  50!  Therefore,  I  am  not  planning  any  invertebrates,  which  I  gather  from  this  site  and  elsewhere,  will  need  chiller!                

agreed!  But,  what  will  you  do  next  year?

Quote:                
Currently,  just  started  things  up  with  damsel  fishes.  The  LFS  in  delhi  suggested  that  the  water  has  to  `condition'  for  a  month  before  I  can  think  of  any  other  fishes.  I  have  two  domino  damsels  sharing  the  territory  with  a  blue  damsel  fish.  I  have  some  rocks-  both  `dead'  and  `alive'.  There  is  an  external  cannister  filter  and  a  skimmer.  The  lights  are  2  (two)  40  W  Hitachi  and  2  (two)  coral  blue  Hitachi  lights  (20  watts)  each.  I  think  I  will  not  light  the  tank  for  more  thn  2-3  hours  a  day  (to  beat  the  heat).  Is  that  fine?                  

fine,  but  the  so  called  'alive'  rocks  will  also  get  cooked  at  50°C  along  with  a  lot  of  stress  to  your  fish  and  all  beneficial  bacteria  you  are  cycling  your  tank  for    Crying or Very sad  
 (I  doubt  if  your  tank  temp.  will  exceed  35°C  (Max  40°C)  -  looking  at  the  dimensions  but,  that  is  also  on  a  higher  side)
 I  have  never  seen  a  coral  blue  hitachi  light  so  can't  comment  on  it.  However,  considering  it  to  be  actinics  and  the  other  40w  to  be  'grolux'  I  feel  that  should  be  enough  and  you  don't  need  much  light  for  a  fish  only  tank  -  unless  you  like  the  coralline  on  your  LR  to  multiply!  Or  are  seriously  considering  an  anemone!  (which  will  surely  get  'cooked'  in  summer  without  a  chiller)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:23 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Thanks  guys,
 Really  this  community  is  great  in  terms  of  helping  each  other  out!  The  reason  whu  I  do  not  have  a  chiller  right  now  is  simple-    can't  afford  a  chiller  rightaway.  So  will  wait  till  March  2007.  Meanwhile,  as  winters  here  are  `pleasant'  I  can  try  with  the  invertebrates  and  anemones  then.  that  is  the  plan  for  the  time  being.  This  summer  I  just  plan  to  keep  the  ceiling  fan  on.  Regarding  the  suggestion  about  wild  caught  fishes,  let  me  try  and  follow  up  the  lead  given  by  fishcos.  

Will  keep  you  all  posted
gokulin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:24 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

What  would  be  the  ideal  temperature  for  a  marine  tank??
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:36 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  think  between  24-28  is  ideal.  True  for  most  setups  including  freshwater.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:46 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

bmukh  wrote:                
I  think  between  24-28  is  ideal.  True  for  most  setups  including  freshwater.                

Bappa,  
 Seeing  that  its  the  middle  of  summer  right  now,  what  temperature  is  your  water  at?
 If  you  cant  afford  a  chiller,  fans  are  always  an  option  or  a  DIY  chiller.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:03 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
whu  I  do  not  have  a  chiller  right  now  is  simple-  can't  afford  a  chiller                  

Working  on  a  DIY  chiller  will  come  up  with  a  detailed  discription  soon  will  definately  help  you  with  the  set-up!

Quote:                
This  summer  I  just  plan  to  keep  the  ceiling  fan  on                

instead  install  a  couple  of  cooling  fans  in  your  canopy  on  either  sides!  one  side  inlet  and  one  side  outlet!

Quote:                
Regarding  the  suggestion  about  wild  caught  fishes,  let  me  try  and  follow  up  the  lead  given  by  fishcos.                

Yes  fishcos  is  a  reliable  source  of  info!  Thumb Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:02 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

There  is  a  fairly  large  number  of  captive  bred  marine  fish  available...  damsels,  clowns,  basslets/dottyback,  gobies,  dwarf  angelfish  and  cardinal  fish.

The  drawback  is  these  fish  are  about  a  third  more  expensive  than  W/C  fish  and  hence  are  not  stocked  by  a  lot  of  retailers.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:26 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Actually  rahul,
 the  fish  you  listed  are  not  captive-bred  in  India  as  yet  if  they  are  as  fishcos  suggests  -  it  is  good  news!
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:18 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

You  could  always  have  them  shipped  in  Very Happy
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: