46. Guest
47. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp behav
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp behav
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:27 am Post subject: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp behav Reply with quote

I  have  recently  setup  a  shrimp  nano  tank..and  I  wanted  to  know  the  following  things,if  you  can  help  me  with  them  -  

My  questions  are  -  
 1>  The  temperature  at  my  home  is  about  27/28  deg  celcius  during  the  day  and  about  20-23  deg  in  the  night..coldest  drop  is  at  20(because  of  the  winter  season).  Currently  I  am  offing  the  heater  in  the  morning  and  turning  it  on  in  the  night.  Is  that  good?  Or  can  they  live  with  the  8  degree  drop  in  the  temperature  in  the  room?

2>  I  also  notice  that  they  turn  a  transparent  shade  in  the  night..Is  that  normal?  because  in  the  day,  they  have  their  usual  red  colour.   The  setup  is  less  than  a  week  old.  The  filter  is  well  seeded  with  the  sponges  from  the  old  filter.  The  Shrimp  dont  move  as  much  as  monkeys  but  they  do  have  their  usual  walks  around  the  tank  and  sponge.

3>  The  filter  is  on  24  x  7  as  this  the  only  source  of  O2  in  the  water.  Is  the  water  over-filtered  and  if  so,  will  it  cause  the  shrimp  to  be  stressed?  There  is  only  about  1  cm  of  air  on  the  surface  of  the  tank..Is  this  ok?
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tank  specifics  -  

5  gallon  tank  containing  3  ltrs  of  Contro  Soil  substrate(4mm)
 Lighting  -  11  watt  CFL  with  a  round  reflector
 Period  of  lighting  -  9  A.M  to  2  P.M........6  P.M  to  9  P.M
 Weekly  25  %  Water  change  (UV  filtered  water)  with  a  2  drop  dozing  of  JBL  biotopol  C  and  a  common  anti-chlorinator
 Heater  -  75  watt
 Plants:  Ambulia,  Vallisneria,  pygmy  vallisneria,  dwarf  hairgrass,  Rotala  greens.
 Inverts:  Red  Cherry  Shrimps(about  5-7  including  a  preggie  one)
 Filter  -  Biofoam  (Ocean  Free)  baby  sponge  filter.
 Food  -  Very  tiny  bit  of  algae  wafer/tetra  bits  once  a  day.  If  they  dont  eat  that,  I  remove  them  after  an  hour  or  so.
zico_aqua
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:05 am Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

upto  what  I  have  read  so  far..things  are  fine.  but  the  drastic  temperature  drop  is  huge  and  that's  bad  even  for  RCS!  my  advice..keep  the  temperature  stagnant  at  say  25  -26  deg  C  max  throughout  the  day,  I  had  em'  survive  even  at  27deg,  but  I  was  forgiven  as  it  was  RCS  any  other  varient  would  have  met  with  dire  fate.  Shrimps  prefer  crystal  water  so  unless  the  flow  is  huge..they  are  fine,  color  change  is  not  that  I  have  noticed  specifically,  guess  they  are  still  acclimatizing.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 am Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

The  sure  fire  killer  of  shrimps  is  pH  fluctuation  and  copper  in  the  water  and  high  temperature.

I  your  case,  let  them  be.  
 1)  That  fluctuation  of  temperature  will  not  harm  them.  No  need  of  heaters.
 2)  Normal.  If  you  suddenly  switch  on  the  light  at  night  even  the   healthy  fishes  will  be  pale.
 3)  Keep  the  filter  going  24/7.  

I  did  not  understand  the  1  cm  air  above  the  tank  bit?  And  why  the  UV  treated  water?

Regards,
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:01 pm Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

zico_aqua  wrote  (View  Post):                
upto  what  I  have  read  so  far..things  are  fine.  but  the  drastic  temperature  drop  is  huge  and  that's  bad  even  for  RCS!  my  advice..keep  the  temperature  stagnant  at  say  25  -26  deg  C  max  throughout  the  day,  I  had  em'  survive  even  at  27deg,  but  I  was  forgiven  as  it  was  RCS  any  other  varient  would  have  met  with  dire  fate.  Shrimps  prefer  crystal  water  so  unless  the  flow  is  huge..they  are  fine,  color  change  is  not  that  I  have  noticed  specifically,  guess  they  are  still  acclimatizing.                

Thanks  for  the  prompt  reply...posting  a  new  topic/journal  in  the  'invertebrates'  forum  today...with  pics  of  my  newly  set  up  nano..nowhere  near  to  the  beauties  you  create,but  a  first  timer's  try.
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:05 pm Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                
The  sure  fire  killer  of  shrimps  is  pH  fluctuation  and  copper  in  the  water  and  high  temperature.

I  your  case,  let  them  be.  
 1)  That  fluctuation  of  temperature  will  not  harm  them.  No  need  of  heaters.
 2)  Normal.  If  you  suddenly  switch  on  the  light  at  night  even  the   healthy  fishes  will  be  pale.
 3)  Keep  the  filter  going  24/7.  

I  did  not  understand  the  1  cm  air  above  the  tank  bit?  And  why  the  UV  treated  water?

Regards,                

Thanks  for  the  reply..Its  so  hard  to  understand  as  there  is  very  little  material  out  there  on  Shrimps.  And  the  general  info  I  get  from  Google  doesnt  help  me  much.  By  1  cm  of  water,  I  mean  the  air  space  left  on  the  top  of  the  water  is  about  as  much...meaning  only  that  much  of  the  tank  is  not  filled  with  water..  I  use  UV  treated  water  to  be  on  the  safer  side,  using  Aquasure  UV  filter.  I  dont  trust  what  the  Municipality  has  to  offer
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 pm Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

1>  The  temperature  at  my  home  is  about  27/28  deg  celcius  during  the  day  and  about  20-23  deg  in  the  night..coldest  drop  is  at  20(because  of  the  winter  season).  Currently  I  am  offing  the  heater  in  the  morning  and  turning  it  on  in  the  night.  Is  that  good?  Or  can  they  live  with  the  8  degree  drop  in  the  temperature  in  the  room?  
 Ans:  8  degree  drop  is  too  much.  Try  to  maintain  the  temp  within  25  to  26  degree,  to  maintain  this  you  can  use  a  cooling  fan

2>  I  also  notice  that  they  turn  a  transparent  shade  in  the  night..Is  that  normal?  because  in  the  day,  they  have  their  usual  red  colour.   The  setup  is  less  than  a  week  old.  The  filter  is  well  seeded  with  the  sponges  from  the  old  filter.  The  Shrimp  dont  move  as  much  as  monkeys  but  they  do  have  their  usual  walks  around  the  tank  and  sponge.  
 Ans:I  would  suggest  to  use  one  small  canister  (for  nano).  Shrimps  required  a  good  water  condition.
 As  per  you,  the  setup  is  just  a  week  old.  Then  it’s  not  recommend  to  introduce  the  shrimps.  Once  the  tank  is  fully  cycled  then  you  can  introduce  the  shrimps  into  the  tank.

3>  The  filter  is  on  24  x  7  as  this  the  only  source  of  O2  in  the  water.  Is  the  water  over-filtered  and  if  so,  will  it  cause  the  shrimp  to  be  stressed?  There  is  only  about  1  cm  of  air  on  the  surface  of  the  tank..Is  this  ok?  
 Ans:Yes  filter  should  run  24/7.  You  can  do  something  to  raise  the  gap  between  the  hood  and  tank  (1  to  2  inch)

Ans:Why  there  is  a  gap  of  4hrs  in  lighting  period?  Some  time  people  do  like  this  to  control  algae  but  it  should  not  increase  more  than  2  hrs.  You  can  change  the  timings  to  2pm  to  9pm.

Food  -  Very  tiny  bit  of  algae  wafer/tetra  bits  once  a  day.  If  they  dont  eat  that,  I  remove  them  after  an  hour  or  so.
 Ans:For  shrimps  give  the  food  twice  a  week  and  follow  the  same  procedure  (if  they  don’t  eat  in  2  hrs  then  remove  it)

I  guess  this  helps.  If  you  need  any  help  related  to  shrimps  then  you  can  ping  me  or  call  me  anytime.
DRDHEEP
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:07 pm Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

They  love  blanched  zucchini.  They  graze  occasionally  on  blanched  cucumber.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:52 pm Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

Set  your  heater  to  24-25  degrees  and  you  should  be  fine.

Dont  have  such  a   long  split  light  period

Its  normal  for  fish  and  shrimp  to  go  colourless  at  night  and  regain  colour  when  the  lights  come  on

Keep  the  filter  on  24/7,  over  filtration  is  fine.  Do  alternate  day  water  changes  for  2  weeks  since  controsoil  gives  off  ammonia  initially
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:26 am Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

Kuna  wrote  (View  Post):                
 Ans:  8  degree  drop  is  too  much.  Try  to  maintain  the  temp  within  25  to  26  degree,  to  maintain  this  you  can  use  a  cooling  fan

Ans:I  would  suggest  to  use  one  small  canister  (for  nano).  Shrimps  required  a  good  water  condition.
 As  per  you,  the  setup  is  just  a  week  old.  Then  it’s  not  recommend  to  introduce  the  shrimps.  Once  the  tank  is  fully  cycled  then  you  can  introduce  the  shrimps  into  the  tank.

Ans:Yes  filter  should  run  24/7.  You  can  do  something  to  raise  the  gap  between  the  hood  and  tank  (1  to  2  inch)

Ans:Why  there  is  a  gap  of  4hrs  in  lighting  period?  Some  time  people  do  like  this  to  control  algae  but  it  should  not  increase  more  than  2  hrs.  You  can  change  the  timings  to  2pm  to  9pm.

Ans:For  shrimps  give  the  food  twice  a  week  and  follow  the  same  procedure  (if  they  don’t  eat  in  2  hrs  then  remove  it)

I  guess  this  helps.  If  you  need  any  help  related  to  shrimps  then  you  can  ping  me  or  call  me  anytime.                

Thanks  for  the  loads  of  advice..I  know  I  have  put  them  in  too  early.  But  I  couldn't  find  a  good  substrate  and  in  the  meanwhile,  the  LFS  already  had  brought  the  shrimp  I  had  asked  him  for.  So  I  quickly  started  the  cycling  process(I  know  it  takes  atleast  3  weeks  to  cycle)  with  an  already  up  and  running  baby  HOB  and  seeded  a  new  baby  sponge  filter  with  a  piece  of  sponge  from  the  HOB  and  some  tank  water  from  my  2  feet  fish  tank...after  about  3  days,  we  got  the  shrimp...its  very  hard  to  get  shrimp  in  my  city,fish  are  common.  thats  the  reason  for  the  hurry.  I'll  do  something  about  the  timing.
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:29 am Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
Set  your  heater  to  24-25  degrees  and  you  should  be  fine.

Dont  have  such  a   long  split  light  period

Its  normal  for  fish  and  shrimp  to  go  colourless  at  night  and  regain  colour  when  the  lights  come  on

Keep  the  filter  on  24/7,  over  filtration  is  fine.  Do  alternate  day  water  changes  for  2  weeks  since  controsoil  gives  off  ammonia  initially                

Will  do  as  said..I  am  very  much  used  to  this  split  timing  for  my  2  feet  tank  and  therefore  tend  to  apply  it  to  this  nano  as  well.  I  will  change  the  timing.  Thanks.  I  dont  have  any  access  to  a  cooler  but  I  can  do  with  a  heater.  I'll  be  doing  the  water  change  as  prescribed  tomo.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:36 am Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

Stop  or  reduce  the  split  on  your  2ft  tank  as  well,  its  not  good  for  the  plants
girlcookart
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:41 pm Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
Stop  or  reduce  the  split  on  your  2ft  tank  as  well,  its  not  good  for  the  plants                
 I  have  been  having  an  algae  problem  for  a  while  now...and  this  split  timing  was  necessary  to  get  rid  of  most  of  the   algae..the  condition  has  improved  because  of  it.  +Nidhi  also  suggested  for  it.  Right  now  I  put  in  an  apple  snail  junior  in  it,  gonna  put  in  a  couple  more  to  keep  check  of  the  little  algae.
coldfear39
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:50 pm Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

I  second  what  Nayak  Ji  said.

1.Temperature  is  not  an  issue  don't  bother  so  much  about  it  until  its  on  the  higher  side,  and  if  you  want  to  keep  it  stable  use  a  thermostat  to  maintain  it  in  and  around  25.
 No  one  like  sudden  drop  if  you  want  to  make  things  stable  make  it  gradual.

2.  Some  time  they  look  pale  check  when  the  lights  are  on  so  its  ok   Smile  

3.  Keep  filter  on  24*7.
 And  also  follow  what  Prashanta  said     Smile  

Keep  it  simple  and  happy  shrimp  -  keeping   Smile
BPLDUDE
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:04 pm Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

Wow  nice  thread...Great  info  you  guys  shared...
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:50 pm Post subject: Re: Shrimp experts - questions about lighting & shrimp b Reply with quote

Girlcookart  :  the  problem  is  not  the  split  lighting  period,  its  that  the  gap  is  too  long.  It  should  be  2  hrs  MAX  other  wise  it  affects  your  plants  as  well.  They  take  some  time  to  get  into  the  flow  of  photosynthesis  and  when  the  gap  is  too  long  and  light  period  is  less  they  have  to  restart  the  whole  process
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: