90. Guest
91. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,407

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - marine life for beginners-the good,the bad and the ugly!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

marine life for beginners-the good,the bad and the ugly!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajaikumarr
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:13 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

pironya  wrote:                

one  more  idea  of  mine  (more  like  a  dream)  is  to  have  a  very  small  scale  website  for  marine  hobbyists  in  india...i  think  the  website  should  have  the  database  of  all  the  marine  aquarists  along  with  extensive  details  of  their  tanks,fish  and  invert  profiles  written  by  indian  marine  hobbyists,as  well  as  detailed  articles  on  aspects  like  stocking,lighting,filtration,quarantine  etc...
 links  to  good  marine  sites  and  contact  details  of  good  quality  lfs  and  livestock  suppliers  can  also  be  included

this  website  will  work  very  well  in  tandem  with  iah  because  we  can  continue  to  interact  and  learn  through  iah  and  at  the  same  time  have  a  one  stop  library  like  information  trove  on  which  we  can  always  fall  back  on  for  any  kind  of  info  on  marine  keeping  in  india...the  proposed  site  will  provide  lots  of  info  which  i  feel  is  not  readily  available  to  marine  hobbyists  in  india.                

Why  not  to  be  inside  IAH  itself?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ajaikumarr
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:14 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

pironya  wrote:                
and  yeah..i  am  currently  working  on  the  remainder  of  the  beginners  suitable  species  thread..watch  this  space  for  updates!                

Thanks  for  the  updates.    Thumb Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pironya
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:34 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

hi

i  am  not  averse  to  the  idea  of  having  it  within  iah...but  i  thoguht  a  more  elaborate  website  exclusively  for  indian  marine  hobbyists  would  be  nice....

what  do  the  others  think?

regards

arvind
gokulin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:09 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Arvind!

The  idea  seems  ok......  but  will  you  be  able  to  handle  the  vast  data  on  the  long  run.....  If  you  can  handle  and  maintain  the  site  as  like  IAH  is  maintained,  you  are  most  welcome  and  we  would  be  glad  to  have  such  a  marine  library........  that  could  help  us  jump  start  the  hobby

Here  in  IAH,  we  already  have  a  foundation  and  platform  to  post  information.....
dr_mozart
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:17 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

or  mebbe  sumthing  like    marine.iah.in    or    iah.marine.in...shud  be  a  direct  link.....
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:23 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

pironya  wrote:                

i  am  not  averse  to  the  idea  of  having  it  within  iah...but  i  thoguht  a  more  elaborate  website  exclusively  for  indian  marine  hobbyists  would  be  nice....

I  would  actually  like  some  more  forums  for  the  SW  guys  and  a  good  set  of  articles  which  are  India  specific.  
 But  a  website  for  indian  marine  enthusiasts  would  probably  not  work.  People  will  always  go  to  WWM  and  RC  first,  unless  you  are  concentrating  on  Indian  SW  fish.
 The  reason  IAH  is  so  successful  is  because  of  the  knowledge  base  of  Indian  native  fishes  which  is  unavailable  anywhere  else.  
 Sure  as  a  community  we  are  doing  great,  but  the  only  reason  international  vistors  come  here  would  be  for  the  natives  dbase.
spongebob
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:50 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Arvind!

Great  Thread  you  started  here!

Kudos!

I  second  your  idea  for  a  dedicated  marine  fish  site!  we  can  definately  find  more  than  one  ways  of  promoting  it.

im  on!

Rock On
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:20 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Keep  up  the  good  work  Arvind    Clapping.  I  feel  this  WILL  be  very  helpful  for  the  beginner  who  would  rather  feel  shy  to  ask  or  to  participate  in  the  forums.  Although  most  of  the  times,  people  tend  to  'get  away'  with  fish  deaths  due  to  the  poor  care  of  the  aquarium,  some  basic  requirements  on  keeping  the  specific  species  have  got  to  be  understood.  Really  appreciable  thread  indeed.  

Guess  Rajeev  too  had  attempted  a  simlilar  one,  with  detailed  species  profiling.  IMO,  that  will  be  a  very  very  long  and  detailed  thread  and  difficult  to  browse  through,  even  if  the  fewer  commonly  species  are  listed.

Anyway  keep  throwing  out  your  ideas.  And  as  per  Aquascapes'  language,  Arvind  is  the  latest  'Chuppa  Rustam'.  Never  knew  that  we  had  a  very  sincere,  dedicated  and  experienced  hobbyist  silently  riding  along.

Thumb Up
pironya
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:08 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Shankar  wrote:                

Anyway  keep  throwing  out  your  ideas.  And  as  per  Aquascapes'  language,  Arvind  is  the  latest  'Chuppa  Rustam'.  Never  knew  that  we  had  a  very  sincere,  dedicated  and  experienced  hobbyist  silently  riding  along.

Thumb Up                

@shankar

i  am  by  no  means  what  you  would  call  an  experienced  hobbyist....marine  exp  of  only  2  years...fw  exp  of  2  yers  before  thts  all!

but  the  reason  i  know  a  bit  of  info  on  marines  is  that  i  literally  love  stufiin  myself  with  data...i  nearly  know  fenners  book  by  heart....i  recommend  this  book  for  every  beginner..you  cannot  go  wrong  with  it!...never  left  any  forum  or  mailing  list  on  marines  go  withou  my  participation  either..so  as  a  lot  of  indians  are  jumping  onto  the  marine  bandwagon  i  thought  ill  contribute  something...ive  also  got  a  selfish  motive  in  this...

you  know  im  into  this  save  the  environment  thing  and  i  think  our  hobby  is  something  with  which  we  can  make  or  break  the  coral  reef  environment...

buy  easy  to  keep  species,encourage  captive  propagation  and  proper  collecting  practices  and  we  can  save  the  ecosystem...

at  the  same  time  if  we  buy  delicate  doomed  species  and  encourage  trade  in  wild  caught  species  then  we  can  very  well  kiss  our  reefs  goodbye...

thought  the  harm  to  coral  reefs  is  greater  due  to  shipping,oil  rigs,runoff  etc  i  think  aquarists  should  not  further  contribute  to  the  problem..after  all  all  of  us  want  that  slice  of  the  ocean  in  our  homes  but  none  of  us  wants  to  see  the  reef  destroyed  to  achieve  the  same!

so  people...get  easy  to  care  for  widely  avilable  species..you  ll  be  happy  and  the  reef  wont  be  disturbed...on  the  other  hand  get  delicate  difficult  species  and  neither  you  or  the  reef  will  be  happy  for  it!

and  we  can  think  of  the  website  idea  later...actually  im  on  vacation  now..college  reopens  in  july..thats  why  the  new  found  hyperactivity  on  iah!

keep  chatting  friends

regards

arvind
pironya
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:30 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

@pradeep

sorry  if  i  wasnt  very  clear  before  but  i  am  not  talking  about  a  website  anywhere  even  near  IAH  in  terms  of  size  or  user  base  etc...

i  dont  think  it  needs  to  get  our  friends  from  other  countries  either...this  website  should  be  a  small  place  in  cyberspace  where  we  can  refer  to  anything  that  wouldnt  normally  be  avilable  in  a  foreign  website...for  example  how  to  build  an  overflow  box  using  glass..ive  only  seen  instructions  for  acrylic  on  the  net

or  info  relating  to  species  we  get  freely  in  india..for  example  the  sebae  clown  is  abundant  as  far  as  indian  marine  stores  go  but  this  species  hardly  gets  a  mention  in  foreign  sites  and  forums..same  in  the  case  of  striped  sailfin  tangs,indian  yellowtail  angel  etc.

and  reviews  of  the  cheapo  products  we  get  in  india  will  defintiely  not  be  available  in  wwm  or  rc!

neither  will  tank  specs  of  indians  who  all  try  to  setup  marine  tanks  with  small  wallets  and  big  dreams..no  offence  meant  but  this  is  true  with  me!

of  course  there  is  no  point  in  repeating  species  profiles,diy  ideas  etc  which  are  already  available  on  the  net  elsewhere...but  i  think  many  people  will  want  to  know  how  the  species  collected  in  india  fare..one  example  is  the  fact  that  many  iah  members  seem  to  have  successfully  kept  MIs  but  foreign  websites  list  them  as  extremely  touchy..

hope  i  have  been  able  to  convey  what  is  in  my  mind..anyway  friends  please  dont  get  your  hopes  up  as  this  idea  ia  still  in  a  very  nascent  stage..could  work  or  couldnt  work-cant  say  yet!

my  suitable  species  list  will  be  completely  poseted  by  tomorrow..so  watch  out  for  invert,aggressive  and  non  reef  safe  fish  lists

also  in  the  pipeline  is  a  list  of  the  ugly  nasties..mantis  shrimps,fireworms,sea  cukes  and  the  like  who  can  decimate  your  tank  before  you  can  say  IAH!

keep  the  suggestions  coming

regards

arvind
Lancelot
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:42 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Pironya,

If  you  want  to  look  at  it  that  way,  you  can  have  that  site  for  FW  as  well.    The  reviews  on  products  can  be  useful  for  FW  tanks,  as  would  certain  tank  related  topics...

If  you  want  to  setup  a  simple  html  website,  lemme  know.

but  good  job  so  far...  

congrats  and  keep  it  coming...
gokulin
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:01 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

pironya  wrote:                

hope  i  have  been  able  to  convey  what  is  in  my  mind..anyway  friends  please  dont  get  your  hopes  up  as  this  idea  ia  still  in  a  very  nascent  stage..could  work  or  couldnt  work-cant  say  yet!                

Arvind!

I  could  understand....  bringing  up  a  site  like  what  you  said  would  really  take  much  time  and  you  need  great  efforts.......

But,  right  now,  you  can  pass  information  through  IAH...  this  would  be  really  helpful  to  newbie  like  me....  I  found  your  post  really  much  valuable........

In  the  near  future,  I  would  be  jumping  into  SW  hobby....  so  keep  us  informed  with  your  info........    Thumb Up
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:35 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

don't  divert  the  topic!
 keep  updating  the  thread  -  I'd  suggest  post  on  one  group  of  fish  at  a  time  say  damsel  -  try  to  discuss  about  some  commonly  available    damsel  fish  and  if  possible  post  pictures  of  the  fish.
 Then  take  up  another  fish  family...........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:39 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Nauzer  as  usual!    Thumb Up
pironya
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:02 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

hi

@aquascapes
 sorry..no  more  off  topic  discs  in  this  thread

i  dont  think  we  need  to  have  extensive  profiling  and  pic  identification  of  each  fish  group..not  worth  the  trouble  in  my  opinion

anybody  who  is  more  interested  in  a  particular  fish  or  invert  group  after  reading  this  thread  can  do  further  research  on  wetwebmedia.com  ,  fishindex.com  etc  where  such  info  is  already  abundant

i  dont  see  the  point  in  repeating  the  same  kind  of  species  profiles  that  we  already  have  in  so  many  sites...anybody  who  is  so  lazy  that  they  cant  check  out  any  site  other  than  IAH  before  getting  a  marine  setup  is  probably  not  ready  for  this  hobby!

this  thread  is  intended  as  only  a  basic  starting  point  and  not  an  extensive  encyclopedia..so  if  you  are  interested  in  a  particular  group,do  a  google  search  or  look  up  the  links  given  above

the  updates  will  definitely  be  posted  today

regards

arvind
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: