55. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - CO2 cyllinder
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

CO2 cyllinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRAVU
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 pm Post subject: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

Hi  guys,  I  have  a  small  planted  tank.  a  nano  preciously.  I  want  to  have  a  DIY  CO2  system.  Should  an  empty  deodorant  spray  container  do  the  needful?  If  I  use  a  stopcock  to  control  the  flow?  I  will  fill  that  with  CO2.
ruchit
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

How  will  you  fill  co2  ?  Even  if  you  can  how  will  you  dispose  it  ?  You  will  not  know  how  much  to  fill  your  deodorant  can.  A  little  more  pressure  will  burst  the  can.

There  are  portable  co2  cans  available  in  the  market  from  ISTA  with  a  bell  diffuser,  this  will  be  much  more  convenient  and  safer  compared  to  the  risks  involved  in  making  your  own  cylinder.

This  is  what  I  am  talking  about

http://www.istaproducts.com/details+CO2+Diffuser+Set/products/6/
shri-novice
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:01 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

Here  u  go  mate-
 http://www.ebay.in/itm/ISTA-Disposable-CO2-Set-for-Planted-Aquariums-/140988238826?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item20d38dcbea&_uhb=1#ht_1079wt_919

There  are  many  listings  online  but  all  these  sellers  are  clueless  about  supplying  disposable  can  once  the  original  gets  finished.

Don't  make  things  complicated  for  u.  A  DIY  CO2  is  always  best  to  start  with.  Share  your  tank  specs,  flora  &  fauna  so  experts  may  recommend  optimal  choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
PRAVU
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:41 am Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

Thanks  all  for  the  reply.  I  will  do  accordingly.  I  have  some  experiences  in  the  planted  aquaria.  I  have  a  established  8  inch  cube.  4  wpg  light  for  3-4  hrs.  Sunlight.  DIY  CO2  reactor.  Micro  dosing.  WC  twice  a  eek.  Only  problem,  java  and  taiwan  moss,  growing,  but  not  promisingly.  Not  getting  the  lush  green  growth.  Have  a  mini  power  filter  with  good  flow.  Can  see  some  hair  algae  on  mosses.  No  fishes.  I  have  HM,  bacopa,  grass  like  plan  and  pogostemon  spp.  Growing  good.  Please  suggest  about  the  mosses.
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:17 am Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

Check  the  temperature  in  the  tank.  You  need  cool  water  to  grow  moss  successfully.
 With  high  light  and  sunlight  as  you  have  mentioned,  the  temo  is  possibly  quite  high.

Regards,
 Venkat
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:54 am Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

+1  Venkat:  Temp  could  be  too  high  for  mosses.  also,  mosses  don't  really  appreciate  high  light.  They  do  best  at  medium  to  medium-low  light  levels.

Do  not  play  around  with  pressurized  cans.  It  could  be  dangerous.  I  don't  think  anyone  will  fill  up  a  deo  can  for  you.  There  are  disposable  CO2  cans  available,  as  suggested  by  others.  you  can  use  those.  But  the  long  term  costs  may  be  high.  These  are  also  available  in  fluval,  jbl,  ADA  etc.  IMO  ista  is  usually  overpriced.  Some  of  their  products  are  more  expensive  than  ADA!

Why  don't  you  just  try  a  non-CO2  setup  by  simply  reducing  the  light  levels?  Life  would  be  so  much  simpler!
PRAVU
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 am Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

Low  light  means?  how  much  WPG?  I  might  give  it  a  try.  If  I  use  the  low  light  for  example,  should  I  dose?  I  have  liquid  ferts  with  me.  Usually  my  tank  temps  vary  around  25  to  29  C.  I  occasionally  add  cool  water  to  control  the  temp.
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:33 am Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

light  actually  depends  on  what  lights  you  are  running.  typically,  for  a  tank,  about  1.5  to  2  WPG  would  be  medium  light.  For  a  nano  like  yours,  you  could  use  2WPG  (nanos  require  more  light;  I  don't  know  why!).

If  you're  lowering  your  lights  &  not  using  any  form  of  CO2,  then  you  wouldn't  have  to  dose  either.  But  bear  in  mind  that  this  is  a  generic  suggestion.  Over  time,  you  must  observe  your  tank  for  growth  &  deficiencies  &  alter  your  setup  accordingly.  If  you  find  that  there  are  deficiencies  in  plants,  then  start  using  ferts  accordingly.  In  general,  if  you  use  tap/ground  water,  you  don't  have  to  dose  micros.  And  since  you  don't  have  fish  in  your  tank,  you  may  need  to  dose  macros.  So  these  are  variables,  you  will  have  to  decipher  on  your  own.  Alternately  you  can  use  Seachem  flourish  excel  during  water  changes  to  supplement  some  amount  of  carbon.  But  do  check  whether  it  has  any  negative  effects  on  your  mosses.  i  have  never  used  it,  so  I  don't  know  much.  DIY  CO2  is  not  that  bad  either.  just  that  you  have  to  keep  an  eye  out  for  bubble  levels,  and  change  once  they  start  depleting.  don't  wait  until  they  stop  completely.

NEVER  pour  cool  water  into  a  tank.  Sudden  changes  in  a  tank  can  prove  disastrous.  Never  do  any  changes  suddenly.  Changes  of  any  kind  must  be  done  over  a  period  of  time.  And  pouring  cool  water  is  a  big  no-no.  The  sudden  dip  in  temperature  will  be  very  bad  for  your  tank.  you  may  not  see  the  effects  much  because  you  don't  have  fish,  but  it  will  be  detrimental  to  your  plants  too.  If  you  want  to  lower  your  water  temp,  use  mini  fans.  they  will  work  very  well  for  nanos.

One  more  point  I  wanted  to  highlight  is  that  your  water  changes  are  too  frequent.  It  is  unnecessary.  With  no  fish  in  your  tank,  you  don't  need  to  change  water  at  all!  All  you  have  to  do  is,  as  the  water  level  reduces,  top  off  with  fresh  water.  you  can  maybe  change  water  once  in  2  months  or  even  further  away.

If  I  were  you,  this  is  what  I'd  do:
 lower  lights  to  around  2WPG.
 use  excel  or  DIY  CO2.
 use  a  cooling  fan.  you  can  DIY  one  with  CPU  fans  available  in  the  market.
 No  ferts.  But  keep  a  watch  out  for  deficiencies.  If  any  pop  up,  dose  accordingly.
 keep  some  shrimp  and  snails  for  some  kind  of  bio  waste/nutrients.  With  inverts  &  plants,  you  can  keep  up  with  the  same  water  change  schedule  I  mentioned  above.
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 am Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

Also,  keep  your  lights  on  for  longer.  3-4  hours  is  not  enough.  keep  them  for  atleast  6  hours.  8  hours  would  be  optimum
PRAVU
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:40 am Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

Thanks  Athreyan  for  the  detailed  information.  I  used  to  keep  the  light  on  for  longer  time,  but  during  day  time  it  get  oartial  sunlight,  that  is  why  I  have  reduced  it.  Do,  you  have  any  idea  what  is  the  chemical  composition  of  liquid  carbon  they  use?  I  have  activated  charcoal  in  my  lab,  will  that  serve  the  purpose  for  the  carbon  supplement  if  not  using  the  DIY  CO2  setup?
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:00 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

The  primary  ingredient  of  excel  is  glutaraldehyde.  Easily  available.
 Lot  of  information  on  IAH  about  it.  Please  read  and  understand  the  risks  involved.

Activated  charcoal  cannot  be  used  for  carbon  supplementation.
 Also  remember  if  you  go  low  light  your  other  plants  may  not  appreciate  it.

Regards,
 Venkat
PRAVU
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:02 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

Thanks  Venkat,  this  is  the  reason  why  I  have  not  reduced  the  photo  period,  but  not  the  light.  Gluteraldehyde  I  can  get  easily.  Will  follow  the  posts.....
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:18 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

OK  if  you're  getting  daylight,  then  its  ok  to  have  3  or  4  hours  of  lighting.  Basically,  you  must  have  light  period  of  around  8  hours,  whether  daylight+artificial  or  only  artificial.

But  venkat,  wouldn't  2WPG  be  sufficient  for  the  kind  of  plants  he  has?
PRAVU
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:03 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

All  other  plants  are  growing  very  good.  After  dosing  the  micros,  I  have  observed  even  better  growth.  I  am  not  using  the  tap  water,  I  mainly  use  iron  remover  filter  water,  and  sometimes  chilled  aqua  guard  water.  Only  issues  are  with  the  mosses.  They  are  growing  I  can  see.  Everyday  I  see  new  sprouts.  But  they  are  not  as  green  and  as  good  as  I  generally  see  in  the  other  tanks.
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:53 am Post subject: Re: CO2 cyllinder Reply with quote

Just  wanted  to  caution  you,  dosing  excel  or   glutaraldehyde  in  excess  can  cause  mosses  &  slimier  plants(  like  riccia)  to  melt,  so  start  with  a  lower  dose  than  suggested  and  see  the  result  and  gradually  increase  it  in  case  if  you  dont  see  any  results.  I  am  sure  more  experienced  gurus  can  explain  it  much  better.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: