176. Guest
177. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,745

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My 4 foot tank journal
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My 4 foot tank journal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaibhav_v4u
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:27 pm Post subject: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

Hey  guys,

I'm  new  to  the  forum.  I've  been  keeping  aquariums  since  I  was  a  kid.  But  it  was  limited  to  the  normal  non  planted  aquarium  with  white  sand/gravel  and  the  typical  fish.  The  most  involved  i  got  into  fishes  was  when  I  decided  to  breed  livebearers  with  varying  levels  of  success  with  guppies,  mollies  and  sword  tails.  After  looking  at  some  fantastic  aquascapes  online  and  realizing  I  finally  have  the  resources  to  pull  off  a  planted  tank  I've  decided  to  give  it  a  go.  I'll  be  keeping  a  blow  by  blow  account  of  how  it  progresses  in  this  thread.

So  here  are  the  facts  about  the  tank.  I  decided  to  keep  it  budget  friendly  to  ensure  that  if  its  a  debacle  I  won't  loose  a  tonne  of  money  in  it.  I  also  have  a  2  gallon  tester  tank  to  test  my  methods.  Hopefully  my  botany  and  chemistry  background  will  help.  

Tank

It's  48  inches*15  inches  (Width)*23  inches  (Height)  (71  gallon)  and  10  mm  of  clear  glass  and  came  along  with  a  stand/showcase.  It  used  to  be  a  Discus  hardscape  tank.

Lights
 It  came  with  with  96  Watts  of  light.  I'm  adding  36  watts  more  to  make  it  132  Watts.  Irrespective  of  whether  I  consider  watts  per  gallon  or  lumens  per  gallon  it  will  be  a  low  light  tank.  Hence  most  high  light/high  CO2  plants  are  out.

Plants
 My  picks  are  dwarf  saggitaria  for  the  carpet  which  I  have  known  to  grow  in  low  light  low  co2  conditions.  Java  moss  and  christmas  moss  for  the  features.  I  will  also  be  including  a  floating  island  which  will  be  closer  to  the  surface.  Technically  that  would  mean  that  the  light  penetration  at  that  level  would  be  similar  to  a  2  foot  tank  making  it  a  high  light  level  and  may  allow  it  to  grow.  If  that  fails,  I  go  back  to  the  moss.

Features
 Trees  (Made  out  of  drift  wood  I  created  from  dried  out  palm  inflorescence  and  moss  tied  on  the  "branches")

A  DIY  underwater  "waterfall".  Mechanism  tested  in  a  bucket.  Creating  the  cliff  out  of  styrofoam.  Worried  about  the  paint  I  use  on  it  leaching  out.  Will  keep  updating  on  how  this  goes.  If  I  can  pull  this  off  will  look  amazing

Floating  island
 Made  out  of  coconut  shells  glued  together  and  styrofoam  included  inside  to  add  buoyancy.  Will  be  held  down  by  fishing  line  which  is  invisible  in  a  tank  due  to  lighting  conditions

Arch
 A  small  drift  wood  arch  giving  the  impression  of  a  moss  covered  cave

Livestock
 Red  Sakura  Shrimp.  I  am  currently  testing  fish  shrimp  compatibility  using  the  comparatively  cheaper  red  cherries  in  my  2  gallon  tank.

School  of  endlers.  I  have  10  endlers  out  of  which  9  are  confirmed  male.  The  1  sold  to  me  as  a  female  is  most  likely  a  guppy.  I  would  love  it  if  someone  had  female  endlers  to  share  or  sell.  They  are  confirmed  compatible  with  shrimp.

School  of  yoyos.  I  have  2  in  the  2  gallon  tank.  There  was  a  lot  of  debate  about  them  going  after  the  shrimp.  They  cleared  the  tank  of  snails.  No  casualty  with  the  shrimp  yet.  Not  even  the  smaller  ones.  The  shrimps  even  have  the  B*lls  to  ride  the  yoyos!  Will  get  3  more  yoyos  to  form  a  small  school.  They  move  around  beautifully  together!

School  of  threadfin  rainbows.  Assumed  to  be  compatible  with  shrimp.  To  be  procured.

School  of  whitecloud  minnows.  Assumed  to  be  compatible  and  will  be  procured.

School  of  neon/cardinal/ember  tetras.  Still  to  take  a  call  on  which  one  to  finalize.

School  of  algae  eaters.  Plecos  and  golden  algae  eaters  are  out  due  to  their  documented  aggressiveness  when  they  get  bigger.  I  know  my  9  year  old  bristlenose  pleco  in  my  tank  in  Mumbai  loves  sucking  the  slime  out  of  fish  coats  which  ends  up  in  the  death  of  the  fish  because  of  his  size.  looking  for  options  in  Bangalore.

Filter
 Haven't  finalized  one  yet.  Plan  to  add  a  tray  filter.  But  the  fishes  I  have  dont  add  much  bioload  so  regular  water  change  would  suffice  for  now.

CO2
 Not  really  required.  But  I  have  been  testing  regular  soda  water  (yes  I  know  people  say  this  is  nuts.  But  I  am  a  chemist  and  it  has  worked  so  far!).  A  1  litre  bottle  of  soda  has  between  2-5  gms  of  CO2  dissolved  in  it.  I  take  an  assumption  of  3  which  gives  3000  ppm  (super  saturated  CO2).  Added  to  200  litres  of  water,  this  gives  15  ppm  of  CO2.  More  than  enough  for  the  plants.  A  weekly  dose  seems  to  keep  plants  healthy  and  does  not  cause  fishes  or  shrimp  any  noticeable  harm  yet.  I  still  wouldnot  recommend  this  to  amatuers  who  donot  have  a  test  kit  to  monitor.

Will  upload  pics  as  and  when  features  are  ready.  Feel  free  to  drop  in  thoughts,  feedback,  criticism  etc  etc
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:33 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

Vibhav,
 Nice  intro..  But,  Pack  the  proceedings  with  photos...   Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:47 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

Hey  CO2  with  soda  water!  Hmm....  I  am  gona  follow  your  thread  for  sure.
 All  the  best  and  interesting  to  read  the  details,  would  be  great  if  you  follow  them  with  pics

all  the  best  &  regards
 dotfish
vaibhav_v4u
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:36 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

Hey  Nidhi,  dotfish,

Thanks  for  commenting  Smile.  Posting  pics!

Stand  I  picked  up  before  restoration

Stand  after  restoration.  New  coat  of  paint,  change  of  rotten  plywood,  black  rubber  sheet  to  pad  the  aquarium  bottom.

The  lights  that  came  with  the  aquarium

2*30  watts  t4.  1*36  watt  CFL.  I  realized  that  watts  in  a  t4,t5,  t12  would  be  different  in  terms  of  light  they  provide.  In  a  CFL  would  be  completely  different.  Researched  a  bit  and  came  up  with  lumens  per  gallon  which  seemed  to  be  the  more  accurate  way  to  measure  this.  (Can't  measure  PAR  so  I  am  just  going  with  the  lumens.  Correct  me  if  I  am  wrong.)

So  as  per  theory  here  is  the  formula

Lumens  per  gallon=  lumens  divided  by  2*depth+length+height

My  t4  30  watts  are  supposed  to  give  1850  lumens  while  my  36  watts  cfl  is  supposed  to  give  about  3000  lumens.  So  I  get  about  61  lumens  per  gallon.  Adding  another  36  watt  CFL  gives  88  lumens  per  gallon.

50-150  is  low  to  medium
 150-250  is  medium  to  high
 250  and  above  is  high

So  I  am  firmly  in  low  light  area.  But  workable  for  some  plants.

I  have  taken  the  waterfall  idea  from  this  guy.  He  has  a  lot  of  incredible  DIY  videos.

Link

I  managed  to  replicate  the  mechanism  in  a  bucket.  To  cover  it  I  went  on  to  build  a  cliff  using  styrofoam,  silicone  glue,  a  grill  lighter  (can  also  use  a  blowtorch)  and  my  wife's  patience  and  skill  with  the  paint  brush.  I'm  using  an  oil  based  paint  which  will  hopefully  not  leech.

Pic  after  gluing.

Pic  after  paint  job

The  "drift  wood"  which  will  be  one  of  the  trees  of  my  forest.

Finally  my  endlers  and  my  red  cherry  shrimp  in  my  tester  tank.  Please  ignore  the  disarray  in  the  plants.  My  fault  for  letting  loaches  in  an  enclose  space  with  such  delicate  plants!

dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:05 am Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

Seems  lots  of  efforts  and  patients  from  you  guys.   I  am  learning  quite  few  things  from  you.
 End  result  will  be  great  I  am  sure.  All  the  best  guys
vaibhav_v4u
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:53 am Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

dotfish  wrote  (View  Post):                
Seems  lots  of  efforts  and  patients  from  you  guys.   I  am  learning  quite  few  things  from  you.
 End  result  will  be  great  I  am  sure.  All  the  best  guys                

A  lot  of  effort  from  me  and  a  lot  of  patience  from  my  wife  Razz.  I'm  just  learning  as  well.  I'd  sort  of  pushing  the  envelope  on  some  things  here  so  please  don't  copy  them  until  I  can  tell  you  they  are  successful  Razz.  

On  a  side  note,  can  anyone  suggest  some  good  algae  eaters  that  remain  small,  would  be  compatible  with  shrimp  and  keep  my  tank  clean?

PS:Golden  algae  eaters  and  plecos  are  out  of  the  running.
dotfish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:34 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

suggestion  for  best  algae  eaters  from  me  will  be  Oto  cats  and  black  mollies,  seen  them  in  action  so,  they  dont  grow  bigger  plus  they  are  the  peaceful  guys  in  my  tank
vaibhav_v4u
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:30 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

dotfish  wrote  (View  Post):                
suggestion  for  best  algae  eaters  from  me  will  be  Oto  cats  and  black  mollies,  seen  them  in  action  so,  they  dont  grow  bigger  plus  they  are  the  peaceful  guys  in  my  tank                

Otos  it  is!  Thanks!

P.S.:  My  endlers  seem  to  be  doing  a  decent  job  eating  algae  as  well.  So  I  think  I  have  my  cleanup  crew  setup!
vaibhav_v4u
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:05 am Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

After  days  of  testing  got  some  results.  The  styrofoam  cliff  failed  due  to  incredible  buoyancy.  Even  a  pile  of  rocks  could  not  hold  it  down  and  I  was  loath  to  glue  it  down.  Finally  decided  to  change  my  plans  and  go  with  rocks  instead.  So  here's  the  progress

Step  1
 Laying  our  the  river  sand  substrate  base.  The  soil  will  come  above  this  later.

Here  is  the  placement  of  the  rocks.  I  might  move  the  one  on  the  right  a  bit  more  towards  the  corner  and  introduce  another  feature  (probably  the  drifwood  arch/cave)  to  break  the  symmetry.
 The  one  on  the  left  will  be  used  as  the  waterfall

Finally  the  testing  of  the  water  fall.  After  a  couple  off  failed  attempts,  it  finally  worked!

Link
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:13 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

Good  going  Vaibha.  Thumb Up
vaibhav_v4u
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:36 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

Time  for  an  update  :)

Soil  and  Plants

I  laid  ada  soil  over  the  river  sand  substrate.  Since  I  am  going  to  try  the  Diana  Walstd  method,  I  used  some  soil  from  my  tester  tank  as  well.  Planted  Dwarf  Hair  grass,  Dwarf  Saggitaria,  Amazon  Sword,  Some  crypts,  java  moss,  Christmas  Moss,  Riccia,  Anubias  Barteri  nana,  BACOPA  CAROLINIANA,  Cabomba,  Hemianthus  micranthemoides,  Myriophyllum  mattogrossense  'Red'
 and  some  plants  I  got  from  a  local  LFS  but  dont  know  the  names  of.   I  also  dosed  the  water  with  1  litre  of  club  soda  to  bring  the  CO2  level  up  and  help  the  plants  establish  themselves.

Live  stock
 Again,  since  I  was  using  the  Diana  Walstad  method  which  says  cycling  isnt  required  I  put  in  livestock  immediately.  The  first  day  after  the  planting  I  put  in  10  danios  and  4  sakura  shrimp.  After  waiting  for  2  days  and  no  issues,  I  put  in  10  white  cloud  mountain  minnows  (5  regular,  5  albino),  5  yoyo  loaches  and  10  endlers.  I  did  not  ut  in  my  2  otos  since  I  wanted  algae  to  start  forming  in  the  tank  for  the  otos  to  be  well  fed.  My  tester  tank  had  enough  of  algae  and  plants  to  sustain  them.  The  loaches  uprooted  some  plants  initially  but  after  they  were  set,  the  plants  have  been  considering  all  the  digging  by  the  loaches.

Lighting
 I  had  to  reduce  my  lights  from  120  W  to  96  W  due  to  some  issues  I  had  with  the  wiring.  I  prayed  this  was  enough.  Turns  out  that  it  was.  I  bought  a  Sibass  digital  timer  for  Rs.550  from  a  shop  in  SJP,  since  I  was  going  to  be  away  for  10  days  for  Diwali.

I  gave  keys  to  my  friend  to  feed  the  fish.  He  was  going  away  for  4  days  too,  which  meant  4  days  without  food  for  thr  fish.  I  assumed  this  would  be  ok.  He  called  me  when  he  went  in  saying  that  the  grass  had  grown  like  crazy  and  was  almost  touching  the  top.  The  riccia  was  pearling  like  crazy,  some  plants  were  uprooted  and  there  was  algae  on  the  glass.  At  this  point  I  had  him  put  the  otos  in.

When  I  got  back,  the  grass  had  reached  the  top  and  all  the  plants  were  well  established.  I  had  to  make  quite  an  effort  to  trim  down  the  grass  to  take  an  account  of  the  livestock.  2  regular  white  cloud  minnows  are  either  missig  or  doing  a  very  good  job  of  hiding.  All  else  is  accounted  for.  No  smell  from  the  aquarium  at  all!  Only  draw  back  is  the  presence  of  hair  algae.  I  blame  the  lack  of  water  circulation  and  water  change.  No  filter  does  not  seem  to  have  affected  the  tank  at  all.  looks  like  my  tank  is  set.  Adding  20  neon  tetras  today.

The  tank  after  15  days.

Red  sakura  on  a  crypt

Amazonian2010
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:18 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

excellent  but  what  is  on  the  top  of  the  left  stone?  and  put  a  back  ground  poster  if  you  can..
vaibhav_v4u
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:22 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

Amazonian2010  wrote  (View  Post):                
excellent  but  what  is  on  the  top  of  the  left  stone?  and  put  a  back  ground  poster  if  you  can..                

Thats  the  pipe  which  runs  my  waterfall  (sandfall).  Check  out  the  video  in  the  post  above.  It  needs  a  better  camouflage.  I  had  to  stop  it  because  I  still  havent  got  the  cycling  of  the  sand  right  and  my  yoyo  loaches  love  to  use  that  pipe  as  a  cave.

I  forgot  to  put  a  background  before  putting  the  tank  into  the  box  in  the  showcase!  Sad   The  empty  tank  weighed  about  40  kgs  and  I  didnot  have  the  energy  to  correct  it.  I  might  try  and  squeeze  a  background  in  shortly.
Amazonian2010
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:18 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

In  that  case  one  senior  in  IAH  suggested  me  once  to  add  a  single  color  back  ground.  Please  don't  add  any  printed  poster  back  ground.  Light  blue,  blue  etc  or  may  be  black..
vaibhav_v4u
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:48 pm Post subject: Re: My 4 foot tank journal Reply with quote

Amazonian2010  wrote  (View  Post):                
In  that  case  one  senior  in  IAH  suggested  me  once  to  add  a  single  color  back  ground.  Please  don't  add  any  printed  poster  back  ground.  Light  blue,  blue  etc  or  may  be  black..                

Thanks  for  the  input  Smile.  I  absolutely  hate  printed  backgrounds!  The  single  color  advise  sounds  good.

I  wanted  a  deep  blue  but  I  dont  think  I  can  find  one  in  the  size  I  want.  Black  seems  to  be  the  safest  bet..if  I  can  squeeze  it  in.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: