200. Guest
201. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,837

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Arun  -  My  personal  suggestion  is  any  wood  will  work  in  a  fish  tank  given  a  time  frame(3  months)  to  settle(with  no  fish).  Looking  at  the  picture  I  cant  tell  the  kind  of  driftwood  you  have.  It  looks  like  a  guava  tree  branch  Smile
 The  bubbles  are  natural,  it  means  water  is  entering  in  your  wood  that's  fine.  I  don't  know  if  the  driftwood  is  really  releasing  toxins.  Did  you  ask  them  is  aquarium  safe?

Your  guppy  might  have  fin  rot!  High  likely  because  of  ammonia  poisoning  and  other  infection.  Can  you  remove  all  the  fishes  to  another  small  tank  for  couple  of  weeks?  probably  add  M.Blue  which  is  safe  in  all  terms  and  its  always  better  to  have  one  handy.  Some  salt  is  good  too  but  don't  add  salt  and  medicine  in  to  your  main  tank.  Because  you  will  slowly  loose  your  plants  and  bacteria.  Plants  can  tolerate  salt  to  some  extent  but  its  completely  based  on  how  hardy  are  your  plants.

At  this  point  if  I  am  at  your  situation,  I  will  take  a  step  back  read  lot  of  articles  and  do  what  is  necessary  at  this  point.  Most  importantly  patience  is  the  key.  Many  hobbyist  think(incl  me)  if  water  is  clear  then  everything  is  fine.  But  Most  of  the  toxins  and  chemicals  are  colorless  and  odorless.  the  problem  is  your  tank  is  new  and  plants  must  be  just  started  to  settle  down,  they  cant  help  much  in  sucking  toxins  and  chemicals,  it  will  take  1-2  months  for  them  to  help  you  in  full  flow.

Can  you  provide  the  stocking  list?  your  plants  and  fish?
arun_chak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:12 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Gokul,

Don't  know  which  plants  are  those.  I  didn't  pay  attention  to  the  aquarium  guy  (my  bad).  and  fishes  are  all  guppies  (approx  30  nos)  with  different  colors.  Let  me  go  to  that  shop  again  tomorrow  (aquastar)  and  see  what  that  guy  says.

Thanks,
 Arun
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:25 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Aquastar?  Oh  man  they  would  have  charged  for  guppies  like  anything!  I  hate  buying  fish  from  that  guy  he  will  charge  u  a  lot.  Guppies  are  always  disease  prone,  I  never  succeeded  keeping  them  from  long  term  even  after  quarantine.

Get  a  close  up  picture  of  plants,  everyone  here  will  help  you  to  identify  the  plants.
arun_chak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:17 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Here  are  few  pics:

Fish  developed  infection

GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:56 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Arun,

Fish  picture  is  not  clear,  cannot  identify  anything  from  the  picture.  Btw  how  did  you  say  it  has  an  infection?

So,  from  the  pictures  I  can  guess  few  plants,  first  &  third  picture  -  Looks  like  Rotala  True,  Second  Picture  has  Temple  and  Hygrophila  plant.  There  is  some  grass  that  I  cant  recognize.

Looks  like  you  have  Aqua  Clay  mixed  with  what?
arun_chak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Hi  Gokul,

Looks  like  I  found  the  root  cause.  It  seems  to  be  that  I  was  adding  liquid  fert  (ferropol),  when  my  tank  was  hardly  1  week  hold  and  my  plants  might  not  be  absorbing  all  that.  Eventually  due  to  lack  of  beneficial  bacteria  this  didn't  break  down.  Also  I  added  too  many  fishes.  All  together  causing  build  up  of  ammonia.  I  ended  up  losing  6  fishes.  Now  I  have  them  isolated,  and  having  2  algae  eater  and  3-4  very  small  guppies.  Cycling  my  tank  now  hoping  the  beneficial  bacteria  builds  up  and  does  the  magic.  In  any  case  I  will  wait  for  15  days  and  then  introduce  the  remaining  fishes.

Ref:
 http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120429160138AAvpfkY
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishless_cycling

Thanks,
 Arun
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:04 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

If  I  am  not  wrong,  ferropol  is  for  micro?  or  just  Iron?  it  cannot  increase  your  ammonia  levels.  Possibilities  are  Overfeeding,  fish  waste,  dead  plants  &  not  enough  nitrifying  bacteria.  You  need  to  check  if  your  ammonia  levels  are  extremely  low(  <  0.25ppm)  then  decide  on  introducing  more  fishes.
arun_chak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:43 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

GokulK  wrote  (View  Post):                
If  I  am  not  wrong,  ferropol  is  for  micro?  or  just  Iron?  it  cannot  increase  your  ammonia  levels.  Possibilities  are  Overfeeding,  fish  waste,  dead  plants  &  not  enough  nitrifying  bacteria.  You  need  to  check  if  your  ammonia  levels  are  extremely  low(  <  0.25ppm)  then  decide  on  introducing  more  fishes.                

Shopkeeper  said  micro/macro  both  not  just  iron,  will  check  with  him  again.  I  am  also  of  the  same  opinion  that  ammonia  level  needs  to  be  monitored.  Do  you  know  any  reasonably  priced  test  kit?  Should  I  get  from  aquastar?
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:55 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

To  be  honest  all  shopkeepers  in  India  are  either  don't  have  sufficient  knowledge  or  cheat  us  easily.  Any  hobbyist  can  stop  me  if  I  am  wrong,  I  can  take  my  statement  back.  We  need  to  educate  ourselves  so  that  we  can  validate  shopkeepers  :)

Well  you  can  ask  your  friends  in  Singapore  or  US  to  get  one  for  you,  Price  is  just  35-40%  of  the  actual  price  in  India.  I  always  go  for  API,  so  don't  know  if  there  are  any  other  brands  available  in  market.
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:58 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

The  point  is  Macro  and  Micro  cannot  be  mixed  together  Smile  If  mixed  Iron  will  loose  its  stability,  Micro  and  Macro  must  be  separate.  There  is  no  liquid  ferts  in  the  market  which  comes  with  NPK  +  Micro.
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:02 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Invest  money  in  getting  dry  ferts,  don't  go  with  these  liquid  ferts.  They  are  expensive  and  wont  suit  your  need  completely.  Go  to  parrys  and  you  get  all  the  ferts  for  the  price  you  paid  for  ferropol.  You  can  use  these  dry  ferts  for  atleast  2-3yrs.  Read  about  EI  dosing  and  ferts  forum.
arun_chak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:48 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Gokul,

Shocked   Too  many  things  to  consider,  I  think  its  not  that  easy  hobby.  I  also  tried  DIY  CO2  with  2  liter  soda  bottle.  But  CO2  died  after  3  days.  What  would  be  correct  proportion,  this  is  not  adequately  told  anywhere.  Is  it  200  gm  of  sugar  per  liter  of  water?  

BTW:  I  almost  lost  50%  of  my  fishes  now,  everyday  few  casualty   Sad  

Thanks,
 Arun
raggz
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Arun,

The  most  stable  way  of  diffusing  CO2  is  through  a  CO2  cylinder.  However,  you  can  also  do  a  DIY  CO2,  like  most  of  the  hobbyist  do.

The  last  time  I  did  a  yeast  sugar  CO2,  it  lasted  for  almost  a  month.  The  bubble  rate  was  very  unstable.  Sometimes  it  was  3bps,  sometimes  it  was  1  bubble  per  3  sec  etc.

If  you  add  more  sugar,  it  wont  last  too  long.  The  secret  is  to  make  the  mixture  proportionately.  Here  is  what  I  did:

-2  Ltr  of  water  in  a  2.25  ltr  can
 -200  gms  of  sugar
 -22  to  24  granules  of  bakers  yeast
 -(Optional)  baking  soda,  a  pinch  (I  didn't  add  this  by  the  way)

Dissolve  the  sugar  in  warm  water.  Keep  the  yeast  granules  in  warm  water  for  10-15  minutes.  Add  both  of  these  to  the  bottle.  Make  sure  the  water  is  not  too  warm,  just  about  32  Deg.  Celsius.

Make  sure  there  are  no  leaks  and  you  are  good  to  go.

Arun,  the  main  things  which  makes  a  hobby  successful  is  research,  research  and  more  research  and  most  important  of  all  is  patience.  Don't  give  up.

Regards
raggz
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:30 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Also,  get  in  touch  with  a  fellow  hobbyist  Sujo,  if  you  need  all  the  macro  and  micro  ferts.  Don't  waste  money  on  imported  liquid  ferts,  which  costs  fortune.  You  may  contact  him  @  8123258312.  He  can  courier  all  the  ferts  you  need,  if  its  in  stock.

Regards,
 Raghu
arun_chak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:50 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

raggz  wrote  (View  Post):                
Arun,

The  most  stable  way  of  diffusing  CO2  is  through  a  CO2  cylinder.  However,  you  can  also  do  a  DIY  CO2,  like  most  of  the  hobbyist  do.

The  last  time  I  did  a  yeast  sugar  CO2,  it  lasted  for  almost  a  month.  The  bubble  rate  was  very  unstable.  Sometimes  it  was  3bps,  sometimes  it  was  1  bubble  per  3  sec  etc.

If  you  add  more  sugar,  it  wont  last  too  long.  The  secret  is  to  make  the  mixture  proportionately.  Here  is  what  I  did:

-2  Ltr  of  water  in  a  2.25  ltr  can
 -200  gms  of  sugar
 -22  to  24  granules  of  bakers  yeast
 -(Optional)  baking  soda,  a  pinch  (I  didn't  add  this  by  the  way)

Dissolve  the  sugar  in  warm  water.  Keep  the  yeast  granules  in  warm  water  for  10-15  minutes.  Add  both  of  these  to  the  bottle.  Make  sure  the  water  is  not  too  warm,  just  about  32  Deg.  Celsius.

Make  sure  there  are  no  leaks  and  you  are  good  to  go.

Arun,  the  main  things  which  makes  a  hobby  successful  is  research,  research  and  more  research  and  most  important  of  all  is  patience.  Don't  give  up.

Regards                

Thanks  Raggz  -  Nowadays  I  am  only  doing  that  (research)..   Very Happy
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: