212. Guest
213. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,836

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - LED selection for the tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

LED selection for the tank
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:21 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

Log  the  growth  of  plants  over  8-12  weeks  and  let  us  know
wads
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:20 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

Hi  kapa  and  Preeths,

Can  you  please  put  up  some  pictures  of  your  LED  built  recently.  

This  is  a  very  good  thread  to  follow.
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:59 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

wads  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  kapa  and  Preeths,

Can  you  please  put  up  some  pictures  of  your  LED  built  recently.  

This  is  a  very  good  thread  to  follow.                

Hi  wads,
 My  LED  hood  is  yet  to  build.  Following  is  the  link  of  LED  journal  by  Preeths.
 LED  Journal  by  Preeths
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:31 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

Hi  friends,
 There  is  slight  change  in  my  proposed  LED  hood.  Instead  of  using  OSRAM  LED,  I've  decide  to  use  :-

Cree  XLamp  XP-E  XPE  R3  3  Watt  Ultrabright  LED

/Cree  XLamp  XM-L2  XML2  T6  10  Watt  3.7V  1052  Lumen  Ultrabright  LED

/CREE  LED  Ultrabright  5W

Experts  please  guide  which  would  be  better  for  the  tank  size  24"L*12"W*15"H  Pressurized  CO2  tank  ?  Also  tell  me  how  much  watt  is  required  for  the  tank  size  specified  ??  Is  it  necessary  to  add  LEDs  of  different  colors  ?

Please  describe  in  detail.  Smile
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:42 am Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

Sad  Experts  please  guide.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:45 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

Depends  on  what  compatible  driver  you  have  available  and  if  dimming  is  an  option.  I  would  prefer  the  lower  wattage  ones  so  that  colours  can  be  mixed  and  spread  will  be  wider  since  you  can  use  more  leds
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:01 am Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
Depends  on  what  compatible  driver  you  have  available  and  if  dimming  is  an  option.  I  would  prefer  the  lower  wattage  ones  so  that  colours  can  be  mixed  and  spread  will  be  wider  since  you  can  use  more  leds                

Thanks  Mortis.  Will  use  SMPS  &  for  dimming  purpose  will  attach  potentiometer  to  perticular  LEDs.  
 Actually  colors  aren't  available  apart  from  white  on  eBay.  Please  suggest  convenient  source  (except  alibaba)  for  colored  LEDs.
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:47 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

When  you  use  resistors  or  potentiometer  for  dimming  you  are  not  really  reducing  power  consumption.  The  energy  consumed  by  LED  is  reduced  but  the  remaining  energy  is  spent  in  the  resistor.  This  is  a  very  in  efficient  method.  As  Learning  experiment  its  fine.  But  if  you  are  building  large  fixtures  above  100  watts  its  always  better  to  use  the  correct  driver  to  limit  current  and  save  on  energy  costs.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:23 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

An  SMPS  is  not  the  ideal  power  source  for  LEDS.  If  you  are  spending  on  good  quality  LEDs  then  dont  skimp  on  the  driver  otherwise  you  will  lose  the  LEDs  at  some  point  in  time  because  you  need  a  constant  current  to  drive  them  which  a  SMPS  cannot  provide
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:32 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

Preeths  wrote  (View  Post):                
When  you  use  resistors  or  potentiometer  for  dimming  you  are  not  really  reducing  power  consumption.  The  energy  consumed  by  LED  is  reduced  but  the  remaining  energy  is  spent  in  the  resistor.  This  is  a  very  in  efficient  method.  As  Learning  experiment  its  fine.  But  if  you  are  building  large  fixtures  above  100  watts  its  always  better  to  use  the  correct  driver  to  limit  current  and  save  on  energy  costs.                

Preeths  my  hood  would  contain  40W   max  so  no  worries...

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
An  SMPS  is  not  the  ideal  power  source  for  LEDS.  If  you  are  spending  on  good  quality  LEDs  then  dont  skimp  on  the  driver  otherwise  you  will  lose  the  LEDs  at  some  point  in  time  because  you  need  a  constant  current  to  drive  them  which  a  SMPS  cannot  provide                

Mortis,  will  try  for  Driver  if  it  is  affordable  Very Happy
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:12 am Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

100  watts  is  just  a  random  number.  If  the  other  components  in  the  circuit  cannot  dissipate  the  energy  they  will  burn  out.You  would  unnecessarily  generate  heat  in  the  system,  increase  complexity  and  points  of  failure.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

Posting  after  a  long  time  again,  Ive  been  experimenting  with  several  LED  fixtures  over  the  past  months.  I  fabricated  one  48W  with  4x10W  chips,4xRed  1W  and  4xBlue  1W.  I  used  4  10W  because  these  were  just  generic  chinese  chips  so  I  figured  they  wont  be  bright  enough.  However,  after  finishing  the  fixtures  I  found  the  brightness  was  so  intense  that  I  was  getting  a  shimmering  effect  inside  the  tank,  like  the  ones  produced  by  large  metal  halide  lamps.  This  unit  had  the  LEDs  fixed  on  an  aluminum  heat  sink  and  2x  cooling  fans  blowing  over  the  fins.  I  used  7.5A  12v  power  supply  for  the  10W  chips  and  a  2A  5V  supply  for  the  1W  LEDs.  

The  next  experiment  was  a  20W  fixture  in  which  I  used  a  CPU  heatsink,  this  type  of  heatsink  is  very  cost  effective  and  has  a  cooling  fan  inbuilt.  I  used  2x10W  LEDs  again,  and  this  was  over  a  very  small  6x6x12  inch  tank  which  just  had  Hydrilla.  

The  aim  of  this  post  is  that,  while  these  fixtures  were  very  bright,  they  didnt  affect  my  plants  at  all  Doh  
 Also,  sorry  for  hijacking  this  thread,  which  is  otherwise  very  well  documented  and  kudos  to  @kapa  for  heading  towards  a  well  planned  build.

Im  really  curious  why  these  bulbs  failed?  Was  it  because  of  the  colour?  I  think  they  are  a  bit  over  the  10000k  pure  white,  towards  the  bluer  side.  On  my  first  build  however,  the  white  was  supported  by  the  purple  from  red  and  blue  LEDs  giving  it  beautiful  color  which  seemed  like  8000-9000k.  Even  on  that  build,  as  soon  as  I  shifted  to  2x24W  CFL,  plant  growth  almost  exploded.
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:19 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

The  PAR  values  will  be  off,  so  the  plants  wont  be  able  to  use  the  light  for  photosynthesis.  Even  though  it  is  very  bright  it  is  use  less  for  the  plants.
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:14 pm Post subject: Re: LED selection for the tank Reply with quote

ashwin1224  wrote  (View  Post):                
Posting  after  a  long  time  again,  Ive  been  experimenting  with  several  LED  fixtures  over  the  past  months.  I  fabricated  one  48W  with  4x10W  chips,4xRed  1W  and  4xBlue  1W.  I  used  4  10W  because  these  were  just  generic  chinese  chips  so  I  figured  they  wont  be  bright  enough.  However,  after  finishing  the  fixtures  I  found  the  brightness  was  so  intense  that  I  was  getting  a  shimmering  effect  inside  the  tank,  like  the  ones  produced  by  large  metal  halide  lamps.  This  unit  had  the  LEDs  fixed  on  an  aluminum  heat  sink  and  2x  cooling  fans  blowing  over  the  fins.  I  used  7.5A  12v  power  supply  for  the  10W  chips  and  a  2A  5V  supply  for  the  1W  LEDs.  

The  next  experiment  was  a  20W  fixture  in  which  I  used  a  CPU  heatsink,  this  type  of  heatsink  is  very  cost  effective  and  has  a  cooling  fan  inbuilt.  I  used  2x10W  LEDs  again,  and  this  was  over  a  very  small  6x6x12  inch  tank  which  just  had  Hydrilla.  

The  aim  of  this  post  is  that,  while  these  fixtures  were  very  bright,  they  didnt  affect  my  plants  at  all  Doh  
 Also,  sorry  for  hijacking  this  thread,  which  is  otherwise  very  well  documented  and  kudos  to  @kapa  for  heading  towards  a  well  planned  build.

Im  really  curious  why  these  bulbs  failed?  Was  it  because  of  the  colour?  I  think  they  are  a  bit  over  the  10000k  pure  white,  towards  the  bluer  side.  On  my  first  build  however,  the  white  was  supported  by  the  purple  from  red  and  blue  LEDs  giving  it  beautiful  color  which  seemed  like  8000-9000k.  Even  on  that  build,  as  soon  as  I  shifted  to  2x24W  CFL,  plant  growth  almost  exploded.                

Thanks,  Ashwin.  Hope  this  thread  would  be  act  as  Guide  for  all  DIY  LED  beginners.  
 I  think  reason  behind  the  your  DIY  LED  failure  is  Excess  color  temperature.  LEDs  >  7000k  are  used  in  Coral(salt  water)  tanks.
 Also  what  was  the  luminus  intensity  of  those  LEDs  ?  You  might  know  that  it  plays  vital  in  case  of  planted  aquarium,  it  is  often  specified  in  temers  of  Lumens.  Another  thing  is  lens.  60°  lens  is  mostly  used  to  avoid  the  scattering  of  light.  So  keep  these  things  in  mind  &  go  ahead.  Very Happy  
 Bro  I  am  not  too  expert  in  this,  what  i  got  is  just  through  this  forum.  I  am  thankful  to  IAH  community  member  as  well  Publishers.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: