177. Guest
178. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,742

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - CO2 bps does not increase when the needle valve is opened
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

CO2 bps does not increase when the needle valve is opened

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avinashSavant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 pm Post subject: CO2 bps does not increase when the needle valve is opened Reply with quote

Hello  friends,
   I  have  setup  my  first  Aquascape  just  3  days  back  on  12'th  Aug.  I  have  1  kg  pressurized  CO2  cylinder  with  a  single  gauge  regulator  with  solenoid.  The  pressure  needle  has  settled  between  300-400.  When  I  connected  the  CO2  tubing  to  ISTA  3  in  1  compact  diffuser  and  opened  the  needle  valve  to  it's  max,  the  bps  I  get  is  1  bubble  per  second  and  sometimes  it  slows  down  than  that.  For  the  sake  of  experiment  I  removed  the  Diffuser  from  the  tubing  and  checked  the  CO2  flow  using  needle  valve,  and  it  completely  worked  fine.  The  needle  valve  is  perfectly  doing  it's  job  of  controlling  the  bubble  flow.  Then  I  removed  the  ceramic  disc  from  diffuser  and  attached  the  tubing  to  diffuser  and  yet  again  everything  worked  perfectly  fine.  The  moment  I  re-attached  the  ceramic  disc  to  the  diffuser  the  reverse  pressure  seemed  to  build  up  and  it  eventually  slowed  down  the  bubble  flow.  I  have  also  checked  for  possible  leaks  and  have  found  none.  I  have  a  straight  2  meter  tube  that  goes  from  regulator  to  diffuser  without  any  joints/junctions.  I  do  get  the  CO2  diffused  into  super  fine  bubbles  in  my  tank  but  I  am  worried  about  not  getting  enough  CO2  in,  as  my  tank  is  heavily  planted.  This  went  on  for  2  days  with  timer  (8  hours  per  day)  and  today  I  took  the  entire  CO2  setup  to  my  local  pet  shop  from  where  I  bought  it.  The  person  their  tried  the  whole  thing  in  his  aquarium  and  the  bubble  flow  was  still  slow.  He  then  took  out  a  new  packed  ISTA  diffuser  and  attached  it  to  my  tubing  and  it  too  slowed  the  bubble  rate.  He  then  came  to  a  conclusion  that  since  the  ceramic  disc  has  not  been  soaked  by  water  completely,  there  could  be  air  bubbles  blocking  the  ceramic  disc  and  creating  a  reverse  pressure  slowing  down  the  bubble  rate.  I  have  bought  that  argument  and  have  come  home  thinking  let  the  diffuser  sit  in  tank  till  Saturday  and  see  what  happens.  But  as  I  came  home,  I  was  wondering  if  my  regulator  is  releasing  enough  pressure  to  diffuser  or  not?  How  come  even  a  new  diffuser  slows  down  the  bubble  rate  of  my  setup?  I  have  never  seen  a  video  on  YouTube  where  it  says  that  the  ceramic  takes  time  to  release  the  CO2  at  it's  desired  rate  unless  soaked  properly.  

I  would  like  to  ask  you  experienced  folks  if  what  my  lacal  pet  store  person  saying  is  correct  or  not.  Is  there  a  possibility  of  the  regulator  being  faulty  or  cylinder  having  less  CO2  in  it?

Kindly  advise.

Thanks  and  Regards
 Avinash
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:27 am Post subject: Re: CO2 bps does not increase when the needle valve is opene Reply with quote

I  think  the  regulator  is  lowering  the  pressure  too  much,  I  feel  there  is  not  enough  pressure  to  drive  the  co2  through  the  diffuser.
 Have  you  fully  opened  the  valve  on  the  cylinder,  
 Can  we  see  an  image  of  the  regulator  set  up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:31 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 bps does not increase when the needle valve is opene Reply with quote

If  the  pressure  is  between  300-400  the  cylinder  is  empty.  A  full  cylinder  should  have  pressure  near  the  950  mark  which  will  vary  slightly  depending  upon  temperature.   what  is  the  output  pressure  set  on  the  regulator?  that  should  be  set  between  20-40  psi,  which  will  work  with  most  ceramic  diffusers.

1  kg  cylinders  are  rare,  where  did  you  get  it?  the  new  weight  and  gross  weight  is  stamped  on  the  cylinder,  you  weigh  it  to  find  out  if  the  cylinder  is  empty.

You  don't  have  to  soak  the  diffuser  for  it  to  work  properly.
avinashSavant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 am Post subject: Re: CO2 bps does not increase when the needle valve is opene Reply with quote

Nidhi  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  think  the  regulator  is  lowering  the  pressure  too  much,  I  feel  there  is  not  enough  pressure  to  drive  the  co2  through  the  diffuser.
 Have  you  fully  opened  the  valve  on  the  cylinder,  
 Can  we  see  an  image  of  the  regulator  set  up.                

Hi  Srinidhi,  thanks  for  replying.  Yes  the  cylinder  valve  was  fully  opened  and  yet  the  same  result.  Guess  what,  after  reading  all  your  replies  and  couple  of  articles  online  I  came  to  a  conclusion  that  my  cylinder  was  almost  empty  and  hence  was  showing  450  PSI.  When  I  cam  home  yesterday  evening  the  PSI  had  dropped  down  to  250  and  my  doubt  got  confirmed.  I  took  my  CO2  setup  to  my  local  pet  store  and  asked  them  to  replace  it  with  full  CO2  cylinder  and  it  all  worked.  The  newly  refilled  cylinder  showed  900  PSI  and  my  diffuser  started  showing  the  bubble  speed  variations.  Since  the  person  who  had  given  me  the  diffuser  soaking  theory  was  not  present  at  that  time  I  asked  the  other  employees  why  was  I  wrongly  informed  the  earlier  day,  for  which  they  had  no  answers.  Anyways  now  I  am  aware  that  I  should  not   completely  rely  on  theories  given  by  pet  stores  and  should  do  my  own  research.  Thanks  for  your  valuable  support.

Regards
 Avinash
avinashSavant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:25 am Post subject: Re: CO2 bps does not increase when the needle valve is opene Reply with quote

Preeths  wrote  (View  Post):                
If  the  pressure  is  between  300-400  the  cylinder  is  empty.  A  full  cylinder  should  have  pressure  near  the  950  mark  which  will  vary  slightly  depending  upon  temperature.   what  is  the  output  pressure  set  on  the  regulator?  that  should  be  set  between  20-40  psi,  which  will  work  with  most  ceramic  diffusers.

1  kg  cylinders  are  rare,  where  did  you  get  it?  the  new  weight  and  gross  weight  is  stamped  on  the  cylinder,  you  weigh  it  to  find  out  if  the  cylinder  is  empty.

You  don't  have  to  soak  the  diffuser  for  it  to  work  properly.                

Hi  Preetam,

Yes  I  eventually  figured  that  out.  Since  I  am  new  to  CO2  setups,  when  my  local  pet  store  guy  said  450  PSI  is  good  enough  I  did  not  doubt  him.  I  have  a  single  gauge  regulator  which  only  shows  the  cylinder  pressure.  I  have  got  this  1  Kg  cylinder  from  same  pet  shop  "Aquanature"  in  Borivali-Mumbai.  They  keep  these  in  stock  and  hence  easier  to  get  a  refill  ready.

After  reading  all  your  replies  and  couple  of  articles  online  I  came  to  a  conclusion  that  my  cylinder  was  almost  empty  and  hence  was  showing  450  PSI.  When  I  cam  home  yesterday  evening  the  PSI  had  dropped  down  to  250  and  my  doubt  got  confirmed.  I  took  my  CO2  setup  to  my  local  pet  store  and  asked  them  to  replace  it  with  full  CO2  cylinder  and  it  all  worked.  The  newly  refilled  cylinder  showed  900  PSI  and  my  diffuser  started  showing  the  bubble  speed  variations.  Thanks  a  lot.

Regards
 Avinash
rainbow99
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: CO2 bps does not increase when the needle valve is opene Reply with quote

Hey  Now  you  need  to  find  why  your  new  cylinder  was  empty?  And  may  be  recheck  for  any  leaks.
avinashSavant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:08 am Post subject: Re: CO2 bps does not increase when the needle valve is opene Reply with quote

rainbow99  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hey  Now  you  need  to  find  why  your  new  cylinder  was  empty?  And  may  be  recheck  for  any  leaks.                

Hi  there,
    So  by  new  cylinder  what  I  meant  was  the  first  filled  cylinder  that  they  gave  me.  So  the  system  here  in  this  shop  works  like  this,  they  have  their  1Kg  locally  refurbished  cylinders  readily  available.  One  has  to  pay  the  price  of  cylinder  and  the  gas  fill  cost  on  first  occasion  and  on  the  second  occasion  you  just  get  the  fully  filled  cylinder  replaced  once  you  are  out  of  gas.  So  when  they  themselves  attached  the  first  cylinder  on  my  regulator,  the  pressure  reading  was  450  psi  which  they  wanted  me  to  believe  as  a  correct  pressure.  Now  after  reading  a  lot  of  articles  and  getting  all  your  opinions,  when  I  went  there  and  asked  for  another  cylinder,  they  gave  it  to  me  without  any  questions  and  the  reading  it  read  was  950  psi.  So  the  first  cylinder  that  they  gave  me  was  half  empty  and  due  to  my  lack  of  knowledge  I  was  easily  sold.  After  fitting  this  newly  replaced  cylinder  for  2  days  the  pressure  still  reads  950  psi  which  means  there  are  no  leaks.  I  am  happy  that  I  joined  this  community  well  in  time..     Very Happy  

Regards
 Avinash
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: