194. Guest
195. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,810

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My 190 liter Aquascape
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My 190 liter Aquascape

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avinashSavant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:39 pm Post subject: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

Hello  friends,
   I  have  been  in  this  hobby  for  about  8  years  (only  fish  keeping)  but  am  completely  new  to  Aquascaping.  I  remember  the  days  5-6  years  back  when  I  used  to  watch  aquascaping  videos  and  wonder  how  on  earth  is  this  possible?  Will  I  ever  be  able  to  do  it?  Years  passed  by  in  dreaming  and  gaining  the  knowledge  but  I  did  not  dare  to  do  it  until  this  year.  So  without  wasting  any  further  time,  here  is  my  Aquascape.

Tank  3  days  after  setting  up  :  (Please  click  on  the  link  below  to  view  images)  Am  still  new  to  this  forum.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103188955924105445584/album/6455903828090847473/6455903829198001970?authkey=CLKX96D8qK-XogE

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103188955924105445584/album/6455903828090847473/6455903826447063602?authkey=CLKX96D8qK-XogE

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103188955924105445584/album/6455903828090847473/6455903827831218834?authkey=CLKX96D8qK-XogE

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103188955924105445584/album/6455903828090847473/6455903825335788786?authkey=CLKX96D8qK-XogE

Specs  :
 Tank  :  36x18x18
 Light  :  Sun  Sun  ADS  700c  LED
 Filter  :  Hydor  Professional  450
 Skimming  :  Sun  Sun  surface  skimmer  JY  02
 Cooling  :  Boyu  cooling  fan
 Pressurized  CO2  cylinder  1  Kg  with  Chinese  single  gauge  regulator  of  unknown  brand
 ISTA  3  in  1  compact  Diffuser
 Dupla  CO2  level  indicator

Plants  
 Foreground  :  Micranthemum  Monte  Carlo,  Staurogyne  Repens
 Background  :  Bacopa  Australis,  Bacopa  Monnieri,  Ludvigia  Ovalis,  Rotala  Rotundifolia  Pink,  Rotala  Rotundifolia  High  Red,  Rotala  Rotundifolia  Green,  Ludvigia  Repens,  Cobomba  (this  is  not  seen  in  picture  since  it  is  today's  addition)
 Rhizome  :  Anubias  Barteri  var  Caladifolia,  Anubias  Barteri  var  Angustifolia,  Anubias  Barteri  var  Nana

Hardscape  :  2  large  pieces  of  drift  wood
 Substrate  :  Brightwell  Aquatics  FlorinVolcanit  Rio  Escuro-XF     2x12Kgs  bags

Currently  am  doing  alternate  day  30%  water  change  and  will  continue  to  do  so  for  another  one  week.  Then  am  planning  to  do  2  water  changes  a  week  routine  for  another  week  and  then  once  a  week  water  change  from  there  on.  Have  not  started  a  proper  fertilizer  dosing  but  am  dosing  Seachem  Potassium  5  ml  every  day.  CO2  and  lights  for  8  hours  a  day.  CO2  diffusion  at  2  bps.  All  my  plants  have  started  pearling  now.

Observation  :  Driftwood  has  got  a  good  amount  of  white  fungus  in  spite  of  soaking  it  for  2  weeks  in  aquarium  shop,  which  am  willing  to  ignore  since  it  will  eventually  go  without  any  effort.  A  small  amount  of  green  hair  algae  has  started  appearing  on  substrate  as  well  as  plant  leaves.  Am  thinking  of  continuing  my  water  change  routine  along  with  splitting  the  photo  period  into  "4  Lights  on  -  4  lights  off  -  4  lights  on"  from  tomorrow.  No  livestock  introduced  yet  though  I  have  5  Nerite  snails  sitting  in  a  bowl,  waiting  to  enter  their  heaven.  I  will  introduce  6-8  Yamato  shrips  after  2-3  weeks  and  then  depending  on  the  status  of  Monte  Carlo  will  introduce  my  Nerites  as  well.  I  do  not  want  to  haste  things  here.

Please  let  me  know  your  views.  Suggestions  are  most  welcome.

Thanks  and  Regards
 Avinash
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:01 pm Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

Nice  start.  Keep  up  with  the  water  changes  for  the  first  few  weeks.  Also  move  the  CO2  diffuser  under  the  filter  outflow  so  that  the  bubbles  are  blown  around  the  tank  and  remain  in  the  water  longer  so  that  they  can  dissolve.  Did  the  filter  come  with  a  spray  bar  ?  If  so  use  it  to  get  an  even  flow  distribution.
 You  have  not  mentioned  what  fertilizers  you  are  using  ?  Start  dosing  Macro  and  Micro  fertilizers  immediately  even  though  you  have  a  fertile  substrate
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:00 pm Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

Hi  Avinash,

I  think  the  lights  are  not  enough  to  grow  a  carpet.  You  might  have  to  increase  them.

Place  the  rhizome  plants  in  the  shadow  of  the  drift  wood.  This  will  hide  bald  spots  where  plants  wont  grow  due  to  the  shadow.  Anubias  will  be  happy  growing  in  the  shadow.
Rahul_Discus
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

Thumb Up
avinashSavant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:06 am Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nice  start.  Keep  up  with  the  water  changes  for  the  first  few  weeks.  Also  move  the  CO2  diffuser  under  the  filter  outflow  so  that  the  bubbles  are  blown  around  the  tank  and  remain  in  the  water  longer  so  that  they  can  dissolve.  Did  the  filter  come  with  a  spray  bar  ?  If  so  use  it  to  get  an  even  flow  distribution.
 You  have  not  mentioned  what  fertilizers  you  are  using  ?  Start  dosing  Macro  and  Micro  fertilizers  immediately  even  though  you  have  a  fertile  substrate                

Hi  Mortis,  Thanks  for  your  valuable  suggestions.  Currently  I  am  getting  all  my  CO2  bubbles  circulated  around  the  tank  water  due  to  the  circular  water  flow.  I  have  placed  filter  outflow  direction  such  that  it  pushes  the  CO2  bubbles  downwards  and  the  skimmer  outflow  gives  them  a  direction  towards  filter's  inflow.  I  tried  to  replicate  the  water  flow  like  the  ADA  scapes.  Should  I  change  it  yet?  Yes  I  do  have  got  a  spray  bar  but  the  current  outflow  is  strong  enough  to  disperse  water  as  well  make  a  good  surface  agitation.  I  will  still  give  spraybar  a  try.  Like  I  mentioned  above,  have  not  started  with  ferts  yet  due  to  the  suggestion  given  by  local  pet  store  guy.  In-spite  of  that  I  have  started  getting  massive  green  hair  algae  growth  and  I  suspect  it  is  due  to  lack  of  Macro-Micro  ferts.  I  have  received  half  of  my  ferts  and  will  receive  rest  of  them  today.  Should  I  start  dosing  Macro-Micro  on  alternate  days  starting  from  tomorrow?  I  have  ordered  Seachem's  NPK  and  Trace-Iron.  Please  advice.

Regards
 Avinash
avinashSavant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:10 am Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

Preeths  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Avinash,

I  think  the  lights  are  not  enough  to  grow  a  carpet.  You  might  have  to  increase  them.

Place  the  rhizome  plants  in  the  shadow  of  the  drift  wood.  This  will  hide  bald  spots  where  plants  wont  grow  due  to  the  shadow.  Anubias  will  be  happy  growing  in  the  shadow.                

Hi  Preetham,  
   The  lights  are  in-fact  very  bright  and  they  get  all  my  plants  including  Monte  Carlo  to  pearl.  I  guess  the  pictures  don't  do  justice  to  Light's  brightness.  Point  noted  regarding  the  Anubias.  

Thanks  and  Regards
 Avinash
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:11 pm Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

Hi  Avinash,

Nice  start..........Keep  changing  water  as  Mortis  mentioned.

BTW  from  where  you  got  this  wood  !!
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:40 pm Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

Good  setup   Thumb Up  

Increase  co2,  if  you  are  getting  a  white  film  on  water  surface  you  "may"  want  to  exchange  your  co2  or  change  your  co2  gas  vendor.

check  water  quality  for  algae.  if  you  do  not  have  delicate  plants  you  may  try  GLUT  for  algae

use  csmb  for  red  plants
avinashSavant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:41 pm Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

abhis9  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Avinash,

Nice  start..........Keep  changing  water  as  Mortis  mentioned.

BTW  from  where  you  got  this  wood  !!                

Thanks  abhis9,  I  got  this  wood  from  my  local  pet  store  named  "Aquanature".
avinashSavant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 pm Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Good  setup   Thumb Up  

Increase  co2,  if  you  are  getting  a  white  film  on  water  surface  you  "may"  want  to  exchange  your  co2  or  change  your  co2  gas  vendor.

check  water  quality  for  algae.  if  you  do  not  have  delicate  plants  you  may  try  GLUT  for  algae

Thanks  garothmaan,
   As  of  now  am  not  getting  any  white  film  on  surface  so  CO2  setup  should  be  good.  I  do  have  Seachem  Excel  which  has  GLUT  and  I  have  started  dosing  it  already  sensing  the  evil  intentions  of  my  Algae.  But  has  the  Algae  caused  due  to  me  not  dosing  the  ferts  yet?  I  am  anyways  starting  Seachem's  NPK  and  Trace-Iron  routine  from  tomorrow  morning  on  alternate  days.  Hoping  to  win  the  war  against  Algae.
rainbow99
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:53 pm Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

May  be  you  want  to  wait  for  some  time  to  add  any  ferts.     As  your   plants  are  settling  down   they  are  not  consuming  nutrients  at  their  best.  what  I  think  you  reduce  lights  intensity/photo  period.  shut  off  co2  when  lights  are  not  on  (may  be  you  are  already  doing  that  )  and  keep  up  with  water  changes.     Once  you  see  new  plant  growth  across  your  tank  then  start  adding  ferts.  I  had  very  bad  experience  with  this  green  hair  algae.  it  captured  my  whole  tank  in  two  days  when  I  increased  tank  lights.
avinashSavant
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:36 am Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

rainbow99  wrote  (View  Post):                
May  be  you  want  to  wait  for  some  time  to  add  any  ferts.     As  your   plants  are  settling  down   they  are  not  consuming  nutrients  at  their  best.  what  I  think  you  reduce  lights  intensity/photo  period.  shut  off  co2  when  lights  are  not  on  (may  be  you  are  already  doing  that  )  and  keep  up  with  water  changes.     Once  you  see  new  plant  growth  across  your  tank  then  start  adding  ferts.  I  had  very  bad  experience  with  this  green  hair  algae.  it  captured  my  whole  tank  in  two  days  when  I  increased  tank  lights.                

Hi  Rainbow,
   Thanks  for  your  suggestions.  I  Appreciate.  I  was  reading  Tom  Barr's  posts  where  he  says  adding  ferts  from  day  1  has  never  causes  Algae  but  the  imbalances  in  water  parameters  is  what  causes  it.  He  also  says  that  not  adding  ferts  from  day  1  sometimes  makes  the  plants  weak  and  not  ready  to  suck  nutrients  which  ultimately  provides  for  Algae.   Yes  some  of  my  plants  are  still  settling  in  but  some  like  Bacopa,  Ludvigia  and  Cobomba  have  shown  a  great  growth  rate  from  day  1  without  ferts.  I  have  started  using  Seachem  NPK  and  Seachem  Trace+Iron  on  alternate  days  and  Flourish  Excell  daily  to  fight  Algae.  My  photo-period  has  already  been  split  like  4  hour  light  on  -  4  hour  light  off  -  4  hour  light  on  -  12  hour  light  off.  Have  added  my  existing  5  Nerite  snails  yesterday  since  my  Ammonia-Nitrate  and  Nitrite  reading  came  0  on  API  test  kit.  Am  brushing  the  Algae  out  manually  as  much  as  I  can.  Planning  to  add  8-12  Amano  shrimps  to  today.  Am  willing  to  fight  this  battle  as  hard  as  I  can.
 Hoping  for  the  best
n70me
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: My 190 liter Aquascape Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Good  setup   Thumb Up  

Hi  garothmaan,

Can  you  please  explain  this  point  which  i  didnt  follow.  We  do  see  some  sort  of  bubbles  getting  accumulated  when  the  water  surface  agitation  is  not  adequate.

Thanks,
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: