Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:10 pm Post subject: Re: Urgent help please
That my friend, is cladophora. A tough one to get rid off. None of the algae eaters are interested in munching on it. You have to resort to frequent manual removal as much as possible and spot dose with H2O2. See this post for more info:
Alright, this is how i'll go about this situation;
1) Have you cleaned the filter since setup?, the organic build up can trigger algae. Also the flow is reduced substantially.
2) I see you are using a ceramic disc for diffusing CO2, I bet you are better off using an inline CO2 reactor or atomizer for your tank size. IMO increasing the bps for single ceramic disc diffuser is mere wastage of CO2. May be you can add one more disc with a splitter. You have to ensure a proper green / lime yellow indicator.
3) Cut and remove the dead and infected leaves or plants altogether. You are only saving the plants / tank this way. IME with proper maintenance and dosing regime they'll bounce back soon.
4) Stick to fertilizer dosing recommended by the manufacturer of your ferts. Your plants are growing / carpeting with existing lights, so a good sign that you have sufficient of one of the trio - Lights , CO2 & Ferts. Again worth mentioning, get the CO2 right.
5) Spot treat algae with H2O2 and physically remove as much as possible with a tooth brush. The algae will turn white / brown after u treat with H2O2. Repeat this step a couple of days whenever you see algae turning green. If you still have SAE which are not feeding on fish food, they'll do good job at keeping algae at check. IME if other things mentioned above are taken care of then this treatment wont be required for more than a week.
So basically clean the filter, ensure Green CO2 indicator, remove dying leaves, spot treat with H2O2 for a while and manually remove algae.
Hope this will help..
Also seems like your stem plants were not growing healthy. Can you share more specs about tank....volume, wattage of light, type of light etc
Dont worry too much. Is it weak and easy to remove manually? If yes then it probably is brown algae. It usually goes away on its own and is caused by excess nutrients, low light and poor water circulation. Excess silicates especially is the problem. If you are using hard water in the tank it is most probably rich in silicates. I would suggest get a more powerful filter with a spray bar, start mixing RO water in a 70:30 (RO:Tap) ratio for water changes. If you dont have RO unit for the tank just go to the nearest water bottling plant and ask them for it. They usually charge less than 50/20l of RO water, these are the people that supply drinking water to caterers. Also, remove as much of it as possible manually.
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:04 pm Post subject: Re: Urgent help please
Oh yes on second look, it does seem a massive outbreak of brown algae. But still spot dosing H2O2 will help in slowing it down...
Brown algae does occur initially, but not at this scale. For a month old tank the stem plants should be already ready for trim
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:35 am Post subject: Re: Urgent help please
Find answers to the following questions will help a lot in controlling algae:
What is the size of your tank?
How many watts or lumens are your lighting?
What is the duration of Lighting: 8 hours
How hard is the water (GH, KH)?
What is the TDS?
How frequent are your water changes?
What is the fertilizer dosing regime?
How many hours before lighting starts do you switch on your CO2?
Any other indirect lighting source
Based on the above answers:
1. Cut down lighting to 6hours
2. Keep TDS under 250 (if GH and KH are high)
3. Scrub your tank of the algae and do weekly water changes
4. Ensure CO2 is on atleast 2hours before lights come on
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum