264. Guest
265. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:23 pm Post subject: Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank Reply with quote

Ive  built  several  tanks  over  the  years  and  various  different  light  units.  From  simple  tubelights,  to  highly  complex  full  DIY  LED  units  with  integrated  bluetooth  control  and  LEDs  on  multiple  color  spectrum.  Each  had  its  own  merits,  but  the  effort  to  build  these  were  a  lot.  Recently  I  experimented  with  the  "Phillips  Stellar"  LED  bulbs.  They  are  shaped  like  old  incandescent  bulbs,  and  give  out  a  diffused  white  light  either  6500k  or  4000k  depending  on  what  color  you  chose.  Ive  been  getting  good  results  so  far  with  these  bulbs.  However,  they  lacked  the  "crispness"  of  purpose  built  LED  units.  For  sometime  I  thought  maybe  I'll  have  to  live  with  it.  

Last  night  however,  I  had  a  lightbulb  moment  (pun  intended),  I  used  a  screw  driver  to  pry  open  the  opaque  plastic  lens  cover  of  the  bulb,  to  reveal  an  array  of  1W  LEDs  mounted  on  a  aluminum  heatsink.  These  are  really  good  (probably)  LUMILED  Chips,  I  dont  have  any  proof,  but  since  Phillips  owns  Lumiled,  it  makes  sense.  With  the  white  diffuser  the  bulb  has  a  150  degree  beam  angle,  and  a  lot  of  the  light  is  wasted,  the  light  also  looses  the  typical  LED  shimmer  and  crispness.  Without  the  diffuser,  its  a  whole  different  story!  

The  light  is  extra  crisp.  I  use  aluminum  reflectors  on  my  bulbs  and  now  there  is  SHARP  beam  focusing  on  the  plants  directly  beneath  the  tank.  There  is  a  brilliant  shimmer  coming  off  of  the  ripples  made  by  the  powerhead,  and  most  of  all  the  bulb  is  now  tiny!  

I  would  recommend  anyone  starting  a  new  tank  to  give  these  bulbs  a  thought.  They  can  very  easily  compete  with  pendant  lamps  costing  5x  as  much.

I'll  upload  pictures  later  in  the  evening.  Drinking
Jasjeet
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:05 pm Post subject: Re: Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank Reply with quote

With  the  cover  of  the  bulb  open,  would  short  circuit  be  a  possible  risk?
alextvino
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:18 pm Post subject: Re: Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank Reply with quote

please  post  the  pic  bro
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:52 am Post subject: Re: Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank Reply with quote

ashwin1224  wrote  (View  Post):                
Ive  built  several  tanks  over  the  years  and  various  different  light  units.  From  simple  tubelights,  to  highly  complex  full  DIY  LED  units  with  integrated  bluetooth  control  and  LEDs  on  multiple  color  spectrum.  Each  had  its  own  merits,  but  the  effort  to  build  these  were  a  lot.  Recently  I  experimented  with  the  "Phillips  Stellar"  LED  bulbs.  They  are  shaped  like  old  incandescent  bulbs,  and  give  out  a  diffused  white  light  either  6500k  or  4000k  depending  on  what  color  you  chose.  Ive  been  getting  good  results  so  far  with  these  bulbs.  However,  they  lacked  the  "crispness"  of  purpose  built  LED  units.  For  sometime  I  thought  maybe  I'll  have  to  live  with  it.  

Last  night  however,  I  had  a  lightbulb  moment  (pun  intended),  I  used  a  screw  driver  to  pry  open  the  opaque  plastic  lens  cover  of  the  bulb,  to  reveal  an  array  of  1W  LEDs  mounted  on  a  aluminum  heatsink.  These  are  really  good  (probably)  LUMILED  Chips,  I  dont  have  any  proof,  but  since  Phillips  owns  Lumiled,  it  makes  sense.  With  the  white  diffuser  the  bulb  has  a  150  degree  beam  angle,  and  a  lot  of  the  light  is  wasted,  the  light  also  looses  the  typical  LED  shimmer  and  crispness.  Without  the  diffuser,  its  a  whole  different  story!  

The  light  is  extra  crisp.  I  use  aluminum  reflectors  on  my  bulbs  and  now  there  is  SHARP  beam  focusing  on  the  plants  directly  beneath  the  tank.  There  is  a  brilliant  shimmer  coming  off  of  the  ripples  made  by  the  powerhead,  and  most  of  all  the  bulb  is  now  tiny!  

I  would  recommend  anyone  starting  a  new  tank  to  give  these  bulbs  a  thought.  They  can  very  easily  compete  with  pendant  lamps  costing  5x  as  much.

It  really  depends  on  the  quality  of  the  LED's.  I  am  using  2  feet  12  W  LED  tube  lights.  This  works  fine  for  a  low  or  Medium  light  tank.
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:39 am Post subject: Re: Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank Reply with quote

ashwin1224  wrote  (View  Post):                

In  fact,  I  was  eyeing  these  stellar  for  my  3  feet  tank..
 Thanks  for  the  conformation..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:09 pm Post subject: Re: Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank Reply with quote

Here  are  a  few  pictures!!

This  is  the  tank  with  a  normal  LED  bulb.  

This  is  the  tank  with  LED  cover  removed!  Notice  how  theres  a  clear  straight  line  on  the  left  side  of  the  tank.  Since  I  was  running  two  bulbs  earlier,  I  got  two  holders  on  two  sides  and  now  this  bulb  is  offset  to  the  right.

This  is  a  gif  to  show  the  shimmer  on  the  modified  bulb.  Look  at  the  left  side  of  the  driftwood.  When  I  shot  the  video  the  filter  spraybar  was  directed  to  the  front.  Later  I  redirected  it  to  flow  across  the  length  of  the  tank  and  now  the  shimmer  is  at  least  twice  as  much.  Also,  the  shimmer  is  easily  twice  as  prominent  in  person  than  what  is  captured  in  the  video  sadly.  The  second  video  shows  the  tank  under  normal  LED  bulb.

This  is  how  the  insides  of  the  bulb  look  like.

Jasjeet  wrote  (View  Post):                
With  the  cover  of  the  bulb  open,  would  short  circuit  be  a  possible  risk?                
 Umm,  not  if  you  follow  basic  electronic  safety  practices.  If  you  end  up  accidentally  touching  the  exposed  LEDs  you  run  the  risk  of  getting  your  fingers  burnt  more  than  getting  a  shock,  because  LEDs  run  on  DC  voltage  at  very  less  power.  However,  you  do  expose  the  base  PCB  to  the  elements,  so  there  is  a  risk  of  water  splashing  on  the  connections,  but  this  again  can  be  mitigated  by  simply  hanging  the  LED  at  some  distance.  This  risk  is  inherent  in  most  LED  units.

alextvino  wrote  (View  Post):                

please  post  the  pic  bro

SOrry  for  the  delay,  attaching  pics  to  this  post

Preeths  wrote  (View  Post):                

It  really  depends  on  the  quality  of  the  LED's.  I  am  using  2  feet  12  W  LED  tube  lights.  This  works  fine  for  a  low  or  Medium  light  tank.

What  plants  are  you  growing  with  these  lights  and  how  big  is  the  tank?  Can  you  share  the  make  of  the  LEDs?  Also,  what  exactly  would  we  measure  to  gauge  quality?  Efficiency?  CRI?  Lumen  output?  The  only  reliable  and  absolute  measurement  is  reading  PAR,  but  since  we  rarely  get  access  to  a  PAR  meter,  its  best  to  rely  on  lumen  and  color  temp.

Nidhi  wrote  (View  Post):                

In  fact,  I  was  eyeing  these  stellar  for  my  3  feet  tank..
 Thanks  for  the  conformation..

These  are  great  bulbs!!  I  didn't  know  earlier,  but  apparently  you  can  get  them  from  4W  to  40W.  With  the  40W  behemoths  making  4000Lumens!  Ive  recently  built  a  unit  for  my  low  light  150G  tank  which  has  6x  20W  Stellars.  The  best  part  about  these  builds  is  that  if  there  is  too  much  light,  I  can  just  remove  two  of  the  bulbs  and  literally  use  them  anywhere  I  want.  While  if  there's  not  enough  light,  I  can  swap  one  or  more  20W  with  a  23W  or  even  40Ws!
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 pm Post subject: Re: Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank Reply with quote

what  is  recommended  for  36  X  18  X  23  +  6"  hood?  how  many  stellar  bulbs?  and  should  I  remove  the  diffuser?
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:58 am Post subject: Re: Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
what  is  recommended  for  36  X  18  X  23  +  6"  hood?  how  many  stellar  bulbs?  and  should  I  remove  the  diffuser?                
 That  really  depends  upon  what  you  want  to  grow.  Just  from  the  top  of  my  head,  for:
 High  Light:  5x40W  or  10x20W
 Medium  Light:  5x20W  
 Low  Light:  3x20W  or  1x40W

Im  using  6x20W  on  my  150G  low  light  tank,  planning  to  grow  mostly  anubias,  crypts,  vals  and  rotala/echinodorus.
sukaba
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:44 am Post subject: Re: Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank Reply with quote

Came  across  this  new  type  of  bulb  from  Philips.

Philips  LED  T  Bulb
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:30 am Post subject: Re: Simple high quality LED light for a planted tank Reply with quote

sukaba  wrote  (View  Post):                
Came  across  this  new  type  of  bulb  from  Philips.

Philips  LED  T  Bulb                

Hey!  I  actually  came  across  them  at  my  local  store  as  well.  They  seemed  good  however  they  are  only  available  in  10W  and  8W.  The  only  other  negative  is  that  they  are  pretty  inefficient  in  space  management.  I  can  have  a  20W  bulb  in  the  same  area  that  it  takes  to  fit  this  10W  bulb.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: