61. Guest
62. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - How to fix water level ?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

How to fix water level ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TapanB
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:56 pm Post subject: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Hi,

Using  a  test-kit  i  have  tested  level  of  ph  in  water.  It  was  7.5+  how  do  i  bring  it  down  to  6.8-7.0  ?  What  can  i  put  in  water  so  it  becomes  good  ?

Thanks.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:02 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Fiddiling  with  Ph  is  never  a  good  idea.  
 A  stable  ph  is  more  important  than  appropiate  ph.
 Every  time  you  change  water  you  will  have  to  match  ph  and  then  mix  the  water.
 There  is  no  greater  killer  of  fishes  that  a  flucuating  ph.
 If  you  can  manage  it  you  can  go  ahead.  
 Kindly  note  that  ph  scale  is  logarthimic  in  nature,
 So  a  ph  of  6  is  10  times  more  acidic  than  ph  of  7.  A  ph  of  5  is  100  times  more  acidic  than  ph  of  7.
 Having  said  that  you  can  use  peat  moss  to  acidify  water.
 By  the  way  ,  why  do  you  want  to  change  ph
TapanB
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:32 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Hi,

The  kit  i  am  using  is  from  germany  and  says  that  a  ph  of  6.8-7.0  is  good  for  fishes.  And  i  am  getting  rating  of  ph  7.5+  so  i  thought  maybe  by  adding  some  chemical  or  something  will  bring  ph  down  to  6.8-7.0  which  will  be  good  fo  fishes.

Thats  the  only  reason.

Thanks.
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Tapan  did  you  just  not  read  what  Sandeep  said...leave  the  fish  alone  and  more  important  leave  the  water  alone!!The  fish  wll  adapt  and  in  some  cases  even  breed  in  water  having  a  ph  completely  opposite  to  what  they  require.So  for  the  sake  of  your  fish  leave  the  ph  alone.
 Hamza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:52 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Allow  me  to  elaborate  on  this  topic  a  little.
 â€œpH”  stands  for  pondous  Hydrogenii  (weight  of  hydrogen).
 Chemically  water  is  made  up  of  H  (Hydrogen)  &  O  (Oxygen).
 Its  chemical  formula  is  H2O,  this  consists  of  H+(Hydrogen  ions)  and  OH-  (hydroxyl  ions).  
 Note  the  â€œ+”  and  â€œ-“  signs  above,  a  â€œ+”  attracts  â€œ-“  and  repels  â€œ+”.
 When  â€œH+”  and  â€œOH-“  meet  they  form  â€œH2O”.
 Pure  water  contains  nearly  identical  number  of  H+  &  OH-  ions  and  is  said  to  be  neutral.  There  is  a  diff  of  one  in  ten  million  or  10-7  between  the  two  ions  in  pure  water.
 This  is  also  represented  as  Log10[10-7].  Hence  we  say  that  pure  water  has  ph  of  â€œ7”.
 Now  when  we  mix  different  items  in  pure  water  the  number  of  H+  and  OH-  changes.  
 If  the  concentration  of  H+  ion  increases  the  ph  falls  and  solution  becomes  acidic,  and  if  the  number  of  H+  ion  drops  the  solution  becomes  alkaline.
 Now  we  come  to  another  important  term  â€œbuffering  capacity”.  
 Take  a  hypothetical  example,  if  we  start  with  pure  distilled  water  and  say  add  5  ml  of  acid  the  acidity  will  change  by  â€œ5”,  but  the  water  we  use  is  not  distilled  and  always  has  some  minerals  dissolved.  In  our  aquarium  or  tap  water  when  we  add  5  ml  of  acid  the  ph  will  acidity  will  change  by  only  3  or  4,  this  is  called  buffering  capacity  of  solution.
 This  is  also  a  reason  why  RO  water  (reverse  osmosis)  is  never  used  in  aquariums,  as  it  has  no  buffering  capacity  the  ph  swings  are  very  violent.
 Now  I  come  to  why  pH  should  not  be  fiddled  with.
 Metabolisms  in  fishes  are  very  closely  tied  with  ph  of  their  surroundings.  A  sudden  change  will  trigger  a  shock  and  weak  specimens  will  die,  even  healthy  ones  have  a  problem  in  adapting  to  it.
 Most  of  literature  I  have  read  says  that  a  â€œstable  ph”  is  more  important  than  â€œideal  ph”.
 If  you  are  buying  fish  from  your  local  store,  your  ph  and  your  ph  will  be  more  or  less  identical  and  when  you  acclimatize  fish  to  your  tank  you  take  away  that  shock.
 Hope  it  helps
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:09 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Hi  Sandeep,
   Gr8  elaborate  explanation  as  to  why  stable  PH  is  required  in  aquariums  than  ideal  PH.

Just  curious  to  know,  How  qualified  are  you  in  chemistry,  And  how  was  your  academics  ??????

Cheers
 Raghu
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:09 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Well.....Well.........well!
 @  Tapan,
 I  would  suggest  you  to  slowly  alter  your  water's  pH  if  it  is  so  important  for  you  to  do  it...using  water  filtered  over  peat  moss  will  surely  help  acidify  it.
 One  more  important  thing  -  what  fish  do  you  have?  Are  you  sure  the  fish  you  intend  having  or  already  have  will  prefer  the  alteration?
 I  also  agree  with  Sandeep  on  his  statement  that  a  stable  pH  is  more  important  than  an  ideal  pH.  Believe  me  I  have  even  seen  discus  breed  successfully  in  a  pH  of  7  which  was  absolutely  unbelievable  at  that  time  because  all  literature  I  had  and  had  read  on  discus  told  me  that  discus  would  breed  successfully  with  slight  acid  water  of  6.5pH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:27 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

rgg  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Sandeep,
   Gr8  elaborate  explanation  as  to  why  stable  PH  is  required  in  aquariums  than  ideal  PH.
 Just  curious  to  know,  How  qualified  are  you  in  chemistry,  And  how  was  your  academics  ??????
 Cheers
 Raghu                

I  am  a  Chartered  Accountant,  but  I  have  a  bachelor's  degree  in  Chemistry  &  physics.
 But  what  ever  I  know  is  not  due  my  degrees  but  are  a  function  of  my  obsession  with  Fishes  &  aquariums.
 IAH,  Wetweb  media  etc.  have  helped  me  a  lot.  Very Happy
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:44 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Another  relevant  point  is  that  most  of  the  litreatures  give  water  parameters  of  natural  habitats  of  fish.  Now  the  fishes  that  we  buy  are  not  wild  caught  but  farm  bred.  
 The  fishes  that  we  buy  are  already  adapted  to  more  or  less  same  water  conditions  that  we  have  in  our  tanks.
 Wild  caught  fish  are  another  matter  and  for  them,  conditions  in  their  natural  habitat  are  desirable  to  be  replicated.
TapanB
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:59 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Hi,

The  thing  is  that  yesterday  i  did  a  complete  water  change  becuase  i  had  no  gravel  in  tank.  And  in  this  process  i  have  changed  all  water...i  guess  this  has  created  the  problem  due  to  which  he  fishes  are  not  reacting  as  they  used  to.

They  are  standing  in  a  corner  and  only  2-3  are  going  here  and  there.  So  i  am  just  a  bit  worried  that  they  don't  die  after  2-3  days  due  to  water.  I  have  cultured/cleaned  the  gravel  for  like  a  month  and  then  added  it.

The  aquarium  water  is  clean  and  fishes  are  eating  also.  Rest  i  guess  they  are  in  stress  ...will  it  go  away  in  few  days  ?

I  don't  intend  to  change  complete  water  for  atleast  2  months  now.

Thanks.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:14 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

TapanB  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,

The  thing  is  that  yesterday  i  did  a  complete  water  change  becuase  i  had  no  gravel  in  tank.  And  in  this  process  i  have  changed  all  water...i  guess  this  has  created  the  problem  due  to  which  he  fishes  are  not  reacting  as  they  used  to.

They  are  standing  in  a  corner  and  only  2-3  are  going  here  and  there.  So  i  am  just  a  bit  worried  that  they  don't  die  after  2-3  days  due  to  water.  I  have  cultured/cleaned  the  gravel  for  like  a  month  and  then  added  it.

The  aquarium  water  is  clean  and  fishes  are  eating  also.  Rest  i  guess  they  are  in  stress  ...will  it  go  away  in  few  days  ?

I  don't  intend  to  change  complete  water  for  atleast  2  months  now.

Thanks.                

Using  the  above  will  help.  I  also  use  ammo  lock.
TapanB
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:08 pm Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I  have  check  amonnia  levels  are  they  came  as  0.0
 Is  there  any  other  levels  i  have  to  check  ?

Thanks.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:48 am Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Hi  Tapan
 Trevor  has  suggeted  use  of  stress  guard  to  help  fishes  overcome  shock  of  total  water  change.
 When  you  changed  all  water,  your  fishes  might  be  in  a  ph  shock.  Ammonia  would  not  have  build  up  so  soon.
 I  don't  think  you  need  to  do  anything,  just  add  some  stress  guard,  feed  lightly,  and  let  your  fishes  adjust  to  the  water.
 Don't  change  water  for  some  time  now,  and  whenever  you  do  do  not  changes  more  than  25%  at  a  time.
TapanB
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:50 am Post subject: Re: How to fix water level ? Reply with quote

Hi,

They  are  all  fine  now  :-)  must  be  the  stress  etc.

Thanks.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: