22. Guest
23. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,535

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:49 pm Post subject: Re: How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2 Reply with quote

shubhadeep  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dear  Rocky,

Thanks,  Well  I  am  located  in  Ballyganj  Phari,  Kolkata.  Kindly  let  me  know  of  places  from  where  i  can  buy  plants.  

In  your  signature  there's  a  web  site  link,  is  it  owned  by  you.  the  address  is  of  Howrah.                

You  are  addressing  Prince  Rock,  the  future  king  of  Howarh.  Thumb Up
mithunda
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:23 pm Post subject: Re: How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2 Reply with quote

let  me  give  a  zero  budget  DYI  CO2  diffuser  come  reactor..

Things  u  need
 ------------------

1.  Airline  tubing
 2.  1  Cigarette

How  to  make
 -----------------

1.  smoke  the  cigarette..  (non  smokers  can  skip  this  step  Very Happy  )
 2.  take  the  butt..  cig  butt  is  fine  cotton(may  be  fine  plastic  fibres).  
 3.  wash  the  butt  extensively  to  take  out  most  nicotine..  
 4.  Stuff  the  butt  in  an  open  end  of  airline  tubing
 5.  Fit  the  end  deepest  in  your  tank.
 6.  Fit  the  other  end  of  tube  to  your  CO2  Supply
 7.  Start  CO2  flow..

You  will  notice  finest  bubbles  coming  out  of  the  cig  butt.  the  bubbles  so  small  that  they  will  mostly  disappear  before  reaching  top  surface..  

This  pic  will  show  you  how  it  looks..

Like  it?  Very Happy  this  way  u  will  save  atleast  500  bucks..  using  this  for  years  without  any  problem  at  all..  also  this  does  not  take  much  pressure  as  most  glass  diffusers  take..

cheers
 mithun
fishysai
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:16 pm Post subject: Re: How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2 Reply with quote

first  off...  great  article  trevor..  it  is  very  informative..  thanx  a  tonne..

ok..  mithun..  cool  diy  for  the  diffuser...  i  am  planning  on  using  diy  co2  for  a  three  foot  aquarium..  i  was  thinking  i  could  maybe  stick  an  airstone  to  the  end  of  the  tube  and  put  it  inside  the  filter  compartment  of  an  old  small  power  filter  that  i  found  lying  around...  would  you  suggest  i  use  the  cigarette  butt  method  or  the  airstone  in  filter  method  for  my  co2???
 and  by  the  way..  jus  a  side  thought..   i'd  rather  smoke  one  cigarette  without  a  filter  than  use  a  tar  filled  butt  and  try  cleaning  it...  Razz
 it  smells  real  bad  and  is  quite  tough  to  clean..  Smile
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:41 pm Post subject: Re: How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2 Reply with quote

Mithunda,

I’m  posting  a  reply  to  this  thread  exactly  a  year  after  the  last  comments  were  posted.  The  cigarette  butt  diffuser  works  exactly  as  you  had  said  it  would.  Very Happy  Thank  you  for  that  amazing  idea!!

The  stream  of  CO2  bubbles  from  my  DIY  CO2  is  not  as  dense  as  the  stream  seen  in  the  photo  you  posted.  This  has  to  be  because  I  used  less  than  ½  cup  of  sugar  and  half  a  spoon  of  yeast  granules  in  a  2  liter  Coke  bottle.  For  the  same  reason,  CO2  production  took  about  3  days  to  begin.  And  when  production  did  begin,  the  bottle  produced  about  a  bubble  a  day!  Micro  bubbles  started  only  about  5  days  after  I  first  set  up  the  bottle.

Is  there  any  way  to  delay  the  upward  rise  of  the  CO2  bubbles  some  more?  Although  the  bubbles  are  very  small,  I’m  sure  more  CO2  would  be  dissolved  if  I  could  get  the  bubbles  to  spend  some  more  time  in  water  before  the  rise  to  the  surface.
pimchu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2 Reply with quote

Great  article  Trevor,  a  real  help  for  noobs  like  me,  planning  to  start  a  planted  aquarium  and  was  doing  research,  u  articles  are  a  great  help.
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:57 am Post subject: Re: How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2 Reply with quote

Cig  butt  idea,  well  that  seems  innovative  and  really  cheap....
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2 Reply with quote

Nice  detailed  article.
SuPro
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:46 am Post subject: Re: How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2 Reply with quote

Drinking
loaches-n-tetras
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:54 pm Post subject: Re: How to jump start your planted aquarium Part.2 Reply with quote

Preeths  put  me  on  to  this  thread  by  Trevor,  which  i  must  add  IS  AN  EXCELLENT  JOB.   thanks  a  lot,  Trevor,  for  all  the  info;  presented  systematically  and  completely.
   Thumbs Up      Rock On
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: