33. Guest
34. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,846

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Help me Identify this Cichlid !!!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Help me Identify this Cichlid !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:48 am Post subject: Help me Identify this Cichlid !!! Reply with quote

Hey  all,  

Can  some  one  help  me  identify  this  cichlid  (that  look  identical  to  the  RED  DEVIL  JUVENILE  in  the  attached  2  pictures).  

It  is  sold  by  most  LFS  in  the  Cochin  Aqua  Market  (or  may  be  in  other  part  of  Kerala  too)  as  WHITE  ACARA.  

As  far  i  know,  mostly  all  17  classifications  of  ACARA  (Blue,  Port  Acara  etc)  have  a  sort  of  pearly  scales.  Even,  Green  Terror,  belong  to  ACARA  Classifications.  Refering  online  on  the  profile  of  most  acara  cichlids,  i'vent  heard  about  any  ALBINO  ACARAS.  Every  Acara  varieties  have  some  sort  of  pearl  designed  scales  like  Green  Terrors.  

I  Guess,  this  should  be  RED  DEVIL,  or  some  hybrid  of  RD.  One  of  the  LFS  guy  said,  it  is  sold  as  ACARA  for  past  15  years  in  Cochin.   You  can  find  numerous  of  this  in  every  LFS  here.  

When  compared  to  Red  Devil,  this  lack  only  the  coloration.  It  is  more  pale  or  offwhite.  (But  again,  100%  identical  to  the  first  picture  of  a  true  RD,  posted  herewith).  One  out  of  every  20  show,  orange  patches  (Similar  to  some  type  of  Midas  with  Orange  /  White  Blotch  ).  Rarely  you  spot  full  orange  juveniles.  

Even  @  1  Inch  size,  this  is  highly  aggressive.  I've  4  number  of  this  (a  pair  of  4  iches,  and  another  pair  of  1  inches).  My  4  inch  pair  already  have  a  small  hump.  (I  dont  think,  acara's  develop  humps  ,  so  this  should  be  Red  Devil  again).  

Is  this  really  a  Red  DEVIL?
hayath_dyno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: Help me Identify this Cichlid !!! Reply with quote

Definitely  Amphilophus  Labiatus
viraj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:47 pm Post subject: Re: Help me Identify this Cichlid !!! Reply with quote

i  think  it  may  be  the  cross  breed  of  golden  flowerhorn  and  red  devil
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:26 am Post subject: Re: Help me Identify this Cichlid !!! Reply with quote

Pure  forms  of  A.labiatum  &  A.citrinellum  are  very  rare...all  that  you  find  in  lfs  are  'red  devils'.   Dont  listen  to  lfs,  i  know  a  guy  who  sells  bichirs  in  the  name  of  albino  arowana.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:59 am Post subject: Re: Help me Identify this Cichlid !!! Reply with quote

RED  DEVIL.........  Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: