45. Guest
46. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Discus Strains & Cost Proportions
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Discus Strains & Cost Proportions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:25 pm Post subject: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

Hey  Discus  Experts,  

Well  many  discus  beginers  might  have  a  similar  questions  like  mine.  We  hope,  all  the  experts  here  can  clarify  this..  

What  are  the  popular  cheaper  strains  of  discus?.  What  are  the  medium  cost  range  of  discus  strains?.  What  are  the  premium  range  of  discus  strains?.  

Further,  can  some  one  give  a  basic  idea,  how  much  each  and  every  strains  cost?.  (Again,  price  varies  on  Grade  A,  B,  C  of  each  strains  is  it?).  If  price  cannot  be  mentioned  here  ,  u  can  mention  it  in  multiple  of  X  as  below  ,  so  we  get  an  idea,  what  is  the  standard  market  trends.  

Ex.  

Strain  1  =  Price  X  (The  common  &  cheapest  discus  strains)  
 Strain  2  =  Price  3X  (3  times  the  common  &  cheapest  discus)  
 Strain  3  =  Price  1.5  X  (1.5  times  the  common  &  cheapest  discus)
 Strain  4  =  Price  12X  (12  times  the  common  discus)  and  so  on...

Mentioning  some  popular  15  or  20  discus  strains  and  quoting  their  price  proportions  as  above  is  appreciatable.
aquadip2000
Moderator - Sponsor's Forum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:42 am Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

Hey  Friend,

Discus  are  the  King  of  aquarium  fishes  and  so  how  can  they  be  classified  as  the  cheapest,  the  commonest  etc.....  They  are  a  class  of  fish  by  itself  it  all  depends  on  the  quality  you  get  and  the  person  who  see's  them  likes  them  and  buy's  them,from  different  sources  of  India  the  cost  can  differ  even  for  a  blue  turquoise  which  i  would  say  is  the  most  common...  same  fish  different  prices  so  many  sources...  Very Happy

And  buy  the  way  its  not  like  a  factory  of  live  bearers  where  you  can  ask  for  size  and  you  get  a  price  on  the  wholesale  market  its  very  different  when  it  comes  to  Discus...well  atleast  in  India..  Am  sure  people  who  breed  and  keep  Discus  wil  vouch  for  that.!!

Regards
 Adip
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:01 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

indian  oscar
 Well  the  topic  you  have  bought  up  is  a  very  subjective  topic..what  may  be  a  premium  strain  to  you  and  me  may  not  be  to  someone  else..plus  the  quality  of  fish  comes  into  play..also  another  factor  that  plays  a  part  in  determining  the  price  of  a  fish  is  if  its  bred  locally  or  imported..for  example  a  5  inch  blue  diamond  from  Ivan  Seh  would  be  more  expensive  than  say  a  5  inch  discus  bred  and  bought  up  by  a  local  breeder  here...
 Secondly  the  topic  of  popular  and  common  strains..well  u  see  this  also  depends  on  which  strain  is  more  commonly  avaiable  in  the  market..for  example  i  have  been  searching  for  a  good  blue  diamond  forever  now  but  still  have  not  managed  anything  as  of  it  compared  to  a  couple  of  months  back  when  they  were  flooded  in  the  market.And  discus  strains  keep  emerging  almost  everyday  as  breeders  keep  crossing  different  varieties  of  fish  to  get  a  new  strain..so  would  advise  you  not  to  worry  too  much  about  the  strain  see  the  fish  if  its  healthy  and  it  pleases  your  eye  go  for  it!  Thumb Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

Quote:                
so  would  advise  you  not  to  worry  too  much  about  the  strain  see  the  fish  if  its  healthy  and  it  pleases  your  eye  go  for  it!                  

Not  to  mention  if  it  is  in  your  budget  !!!   Very Happy
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:47 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

Offcourse,  i  agree  with  you  all  and  as  i  mentioned  in  the  initital  post,  more  than  strains  and  varieties,  the  price  stands  for  the  quality  assurance  from  the  breeders.  

About  2  to  3  years  back,  i  heard  there  were  only  36  or  37  popular  strains,  but  right  now,  i  heard  there  are  about  160  or  more  strains  in  the  market.  

But,  i  still  appreciate  if  some  one  can  give  a  standard  pricing  proportions  of  various  strains  available  in  India.  There  might  be  many  discus  newbies,  or  many  others,  who  want  to  know  the  market  trends,  before  they  get  into  discus.   

I  know  a  person  who  picked  2  inch  blue  diamond  before  3  months  for  4500  Rs  a  pair  ,  but  now  the  same  blue  diamonds  are  flooded  in  the  same  local  market  at  a  cost  of  90  Rs  (for  1/2  inch)  and  200  Rs  (for  1.25  inch).  Further,  i  heard  from  a  friend  in  Trivandrum  that,  a  strain  called  "Solid  Thai  Yellow"  was  sold  there  for  about  16  k  (for  1  inch  pair)  very  recently.  

Offcourse,  the  'real  needers'  are  ready  to  pay  for  Discus  (or  for  any  other  fishes).  

A  person  starting  to  go  for  frontosas  easily  get  the  awareness  that  ,  if  burundi  cost  X,  then  Zaire  blue  costs  around  8X  to  10X.   He  also  can  get  a  cost  awareness  for  each  river  variants.  

So,  why  dont  some  experts  categorize  about  20  to  30  popular  strains  with  a  price  proportions  to  help  the  newcomers.
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:38 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

IndianOscar,

There  are  a  lot  of  other  things  involved  here.  As  we  generally  dont  really  discus  prices,  especially  when  we  compare  shops/traders/breeders,  I  will  explain  with  an  example.  

You  can  buy  a  labrador  for  Rs.  2500,  near  my  house,  without  papers.  These  are  really  labradors,  that  are  home  bred,  and  are  in  good  health.  Theres  a  kennel  that  sells  labradors,  a  bit  farther  away  from  my  place.  Their  cheapest  labrador  puppies  are  around  30000  if  its  a  bitch,  and  30000  if  its  a  male  dog.

I  hope  I  have  conveyed  what  I  wanted  to  convey.
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:13 am Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

Nitin,  

Quality  of  breed  defines  for  everything  i  agree  and  i'm  not  defending  that.  Either  it  is  with  pups,  or  fishes,  or  cats,  or  even  race  horses,  it  does  vary  and  most  are  aware  of  those.  

I'm  asking  for  some  guidances  for  discus  newbies,  so  they  could  either  plan  their  starting  strains,  based  on  availabilty  and  budget.  If  everyone  is  going  to  repeat  on  quality  and  breeders,  then  i  better  withdraw  this  question,  and  guess  it  wont  leads  to  the  expected  answers.  

Thanks  again...
scorpiopereira
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:39 am Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

Gud  point  u  have  made   up  oscar...yeah  i  find  it  a  definitive  guide....but  how  does  one  know  which  strain  is  really  rare??  i  mean  especially  discus  novices  like  me
indianoscar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:03 am Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

Hi  Scorpio...,  

Let  us  hope,  let  some  one  guide  novices  like  us  very  sooner.  And  with  true  guidances  on  this  ..
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:15 am Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

1.  Turqoise,  Cobalt,  Pigeon  Blood
 2.  Blue  Diamond,  Snakeskin,  Checkerboard,  Alenquer,  Rose  Red
 3.  Snow  White,  San  Merah,  Red  White,  Goldens
 4.  Red  Melon,  Leopard  Snakeskin,  Leopard
 5.  Web  Leopard  Snakeskin,  Albino  variants,  Golden  Leopard  Snakeskin,  Red  Golden  Diamond,  Eruptions,  Ring  leopard,  
 6.  Albino  Red  Golden  Diamond/LSS/WLSS,  Bulldog//Standing  egg  variants.

This  is  to  give  an  idea  so  dont  use  it  as  a  yardstick.

Pay  according  to  quality  and  not  according  to  strain.
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:43 am Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

Jacob,

To  be  very  frank  with  you,  starters  have  always  preferred  to  go  with  Cobalts,  turquoise  &  pigeon  blood.  I  had  kept  discus  5  years  ago  and  in  those  times  only  these  were  available  in  market  easily.  So  we  had  no  other  option.  Very Happy  

Nowadays  i  find  even  newbies  starting  out  with  blue  diamonds,  albinos,  web  leopards,  red  passion  etc  .  These  strains  were  considered  very  rare  or  even  unheard  when  i  had  discus,  but  now  it  is  easily  available  in  local  market.  

On  many  occassions,  newbies  are  suggested  to  go  for  cobalts,  turqs  etc.But  i  dont  uderstand  the  logic  behind  it  as  anyone  who  keeps  discus  will  agree  that  they  put  in  the  same  effort  of  water  changes,  feeding  etc  for  raising  cobalts  or  LSS  or  german  reds  or  for  that  matter  any  strain.  

So  if  you  are  selecting  a  particular  strain,  keep  the  following  considerations  in  mind   before  buying  from  LFS  /  breeder  /  any  hobbyist:

1)  Quality  in  terms  of  overall  health  of  the  fish
 2)  Hormone  fed  or  natural  fed
 3)  Availability  in  market.
 4)  Price

Thanks
 KS
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:46 am Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

I  think  the  only  reason  why  lower  priced  strains  are  advised  to  a  newbie  is  that  in  case  of  disaster,  it  hits  only  a  part  of  your  pay  packet.  Otherwise,  I  think  all  discus  strains  are  alike  with  probably  the  exception  of  wild-caughts.
discusboy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:53 pm Post subject: Re: Discus Strains & Cost Proportions Reply with quote

dont  know  how  i  missed  this  thread..

the  classification  done  by  beta  is  perfect..  Smile

And  yes  if  there  is  any  turk(for  eg.)  which  is  show  quality  then  the  price  can  be  higher  than  a  melon  too..
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: