151. Guest
152. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Are you bumping up your Post Counts!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Are you bumping up your Post Counts!
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Site Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:39 pm Post subject: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

I  need  to  bring  this  out  in  the  open,  as  I  have  lots  of  complaints  from  a  lot  of  irritated  members,  with  whom  I  and  the  other  Admins  and  Moderators  quite  agree  with.

Let  me  give  you  a  brief  history  of  what  I  am  trying  to  say  here,  earlier  when  we  had  member  rankings  like  Senior  Aquarists  etc.,  a  number  of  people  would  run  up  their  post  counts  with  postings  like  "  Great",  "Cool",  "I've  PMed  You",  "You  Have  PM"  etc.,  and  get  an  automatic  ranking  as  their  post  counts  went  up.  With  the  new  version  of  IAH  we  completely  changed  the  rankings  that  are  automatically  assigned  and  the  posts  from  these  very  same  members  drastically  dropped.  Sorry,  we  cannot  make  any  other  inference  here  but  this.

Unfortunately  this  trend  continues  till  today  with  single  line  stuff  like  "You  have  PM",  "I've  Pmed  you"  "Check  your  PM"  "great",  "cool"  etc  being  posted  in  the  forums.

This  is  bad  for  IAH  as  a  whole.

1.   It  violates  the  spirit  of  IAH  and  those  genuinely  interested  in  the  Topics  posted  on  IAH.
 2.   It  wastes  the  time  of  every  member  interested  in  a  thread  in  this  forum.
 3.   It  wastes  systems  resources  emailing  subscription  notices  for  this  forum  for  people  who  want  an  e-mail  notification  whenever  a  new  reply  is  posted.
 4.   It  wastes  the  Admins  and  Moderators  time,  where  they  have  to  repeatedly  check  the  forums  for  scrutiny,  maintenance  and  deletion  of  double  posts.
 5.   It  wastes  our  bandwidth  resources.

This  is  a  request  to  all  members  not  to  post  messages  like  -  You  have  PM,  and  others  I  have  detailed  above  and  co-operate.
 IAH  would  not  have  become  what  it  is  without  the  active  contribution  of  members  in  the  forums,  but  these  kind  of  posts  mentioned  above  do  not  help  IAH  or  it's  members  in  anyway,  nor  do  they  contribute  to  the  wealth  of  information  on  IAH.

This  is  a  friendly  request  and  I  hope  all  members  will  abide  by  it.  Any  further  posts  like  the  above  will  not  be  tolerated  by  Admins  and  Mods,  and  I  request  all  members  to  help  us  police  against  such  posts.

Thank  You  Very  Much!
vinven
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:01 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

I  wholly  agree  with  you  sir.The  above  said  is  something  that  has  been  at  its  brink  for  a  while  now.In  a  way  i  feel  it  was  good  that  the  rankings  were  changed  when  the  system  was  being  upgraded,not  only  because  the  posts  by  some  members  drastically  dropped  but  also  because,i  personally  feel,you  cannot  refer  to  a  person  as  a  senior  aquarist  or  aquarium  guru  just  because  he  has  posted  those  many  number  of  times.For  instance,knowing  my  knowledge  and  limited  info  that  ive  got  in  this  hobby  in  my  few  years,i  realise  that  theres  no  way  i  could  be  called  an  aquarium  guru  or  a  senior  aquarist  nor  can  some  very  experienced  aquarists  here  with  just  20-50  posts  be  known  as  a  newbie  or  junior  aquarist....It  takes  years  of  experience  to  become  a  good  aquarist  and  not  just  a  1000  posts  on  a  portal.This.....is  just  my  opinion   Smile  

-V!nay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:04 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Vinay  your  concern  has  already  been  addressed.

Now  V!nay  help  us  avoid  posts  like  "You  have  PM"  etc.,

Please  report  such  posts,  you  do  have  a  "report  this  post"  link  .

In  case  of  3  violations  by  a  member  we  will  ban  him  for  1  week,  a  second  reported  violation  will  get  a  1  month  ban.

What  says,  unless  we  use  the  stick  and  carrot  method  nothing  will  be  enforced?
Yogesh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:22 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Hiya  Madan,

I'm  back.  Apologies  for  the  greivances,  if  any.

Do  really  understand  your  concern  on  number  of  posts  like  Thumb Up   like  this  really,  lol.

But  the  seniors  do  know  the  genetics  of  people  from  their  nicks.

So  the  number  of  posts  doesn't  really  matter,  but  the  nick  do.

Cheers!!!
 Yog
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:27 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Yogesh  nothing  personal  against  anyone  intended.

In  future  IAH  will  be  strict  regarding  such  posts,  and  long  time  members  of  IAH  should  help  us  in  this  regard.
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:34 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Hi  Madan,

Completely  in  consensus  Thumb Up.  It's  sure  going  to  add  on  to  extra  burden  on  Admins  &  Moderators,  but  I  guess  it's  time  folks  learn  this  the  hard  way!  Knock
Yogesh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:12 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Madan,

I  totally  agree  with  you,  Sir.

Can  we  have  Moderators  per  Forums  like...

Discus-  Beta,  Carey,  Neil,  Mitul  etc.
 Marine-  Nauzer,  Pradeep  etc.
 Supplies-  Deepak  Brid  etc.

But  I  still  believe  number  of  posts  do  not  really  matter.

Ball  is  in  your  court,  though.  Very Happy  

Cheers!!!
 Yogz
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

We  already  do  have  that,  only  we  mention  Admin,  Moderators.

For  a  few  forums  the  names  like  trevor,  aquadip2000,  aquascapes  are  mentioned  as  moderators.

I  will  do  a  good  revamp  and  get  all  the  moderators  names  mentioned  or  assign  them  the  rank,  I  need  sometime  for  all  this,  anyway  I'll  get  down  to  that  soon,  instead  of  having  individual  set  of  moderators  for  each  forum  I  feel  we  should  continue  with  the  batch  of  moderators  who  share  the  work  like  now.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:40 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Yes,  Its  about  time  we  enforced  some  discipline  on  IAH.  We  should  and  will  be  very  strict  from  now  on.
 I  request  long  time  members  to  inform  me  if  they  come  across  the  above  mentioned  unwanted  posts.

I  also  request  all  members  to  avoid  SMS  and  write  in  proper  English  to  the  best  of  their  ability.  You  do  not  impress  anyone  with  your  slang.  A  little  effort  will  help  all.
 Enjoy  the  hobby  and  your  membership  of  IAH  and  make  the  best  use  of  this  useful  website.
vinven
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:18 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Banning  the  person  in  case  of  a  violation  sounds  good  for  a  start  up  and  i  also  agree  with  the  purpose  of  using  a  proper  language  rather  than  the  sms  style  of  posting.Something  probably  also  needs  to  be  done  about  the  fact  that  many  users  just  sign  up  these  days  to  post  in  the  LFS  section  for  buying  and  selling  rather  than  actively  participate  in  the  forum.

This  thread  probably  needs  to  be  made  sticky  or  put  up  in  the  announcements  section  so  that  everybody  gets  to  read  it  and  be  aware  of  it   Smile  

or  may  be  make  a  new  thread  and  post  about  all  the  rules  and  regarding  the  violations  if  breached  so  that  whoever  signs  up  new  and  the  existing  members  read  it  before  they  start  posting.

-V!nay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dashingoan
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:38 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Traders  who  come  to  sell  must  be   charged  for  advertisment.  I  see  many  post  just  for  the  sole  purpose  of  selling.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:05 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Quote:                
many  users  just  sign  up  these  days  to  post  in  the  LFS  section  for  buying  and  selling  rather  than  actively  participate  in  the  forum                

Very  true...

Please  try  to  make  some  modification  in  LFS  announcement  &  Buy  /  sell  /  exchange  forum,  something  like  password  protected  for  every  new  users  or  something  like  a  auto  decetable  to  check  user  rating  &  post  no.  So  new  member  cant  start  any  thread  in  these  forum,  he  can  only  read  &  post  his  comments  on  this.

New  members  can  only  use  this  forum  after  having  some  numbers  of  post.

So  none  of  new  IAH  memeber  can  use  it  but  if  in  some  case,  somehow  he/she  want  to  use  it  then  he  have  to  take  a  special  permit/password  from  admins/moderators.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:16 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Quote:                
Traders  who  come  to  sell  must  be   charged  for  advertisment.  I  see  many  post  just  for  the  sole  purpose  of  selling.                

Confused  ...  hmmm
 You  can  do  this  also,  I  have  seen  few  members  over  here  who  really  never  posted  any  single  comments  on  any  other  section  except  his  own  B/S/E  &  LFS  thread.  Crying or Very sad

Please  do  something  on  this  &  bann  any  such  a  member.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:50 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Asking  for  a  certain  minimum  number  of  Posts  before  a  person  is  allowed  to  use  the  Buy/Sell/Exchange  forum  is  a  good  one,  but  then  again  you'll  have  these  fellows  trying  to  run  up  the  required  number  of  posts  by  posting  frivolous  stuff.

Secondly  asking  a  genuinely  interested  person  to  wait  for  100  odd  posts  or  say  6  months  before  posting  in  the  Buy/Sell/Exchange  forum  is  penalising  the  innocent.

This  kind  of  regulation  needs  to  be  incorporated  in  the  software,  which  I  don't  think  is  possible  now,  however  we  can  do  something  about  it  but  it'll  take  a  while.

How  about  Selling  be  only  allowed  in  the  LFS  Announcements,  for  hobbyists  we  can  restrict  to  Buy/Exchange.  Bad  Idea????,  Yes  looks  bad.  IAH  is  all  about  hobbyists  right?

Anyway  for  now  as  long  as  the  "You  have  PM"  "wow"  "cool"  etc.,  posts  stop  it  will  be  a  blessing.
onlydiscus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:24 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Ya,  I  also  note  that  few  people  login  to  post  selling  there  fish  &  they  are  not  concern  with  hobbyist  or  newbie  problems.  They  are  using  this  forum  for  business  rather  than  share  there  expertise.

Personally  I  also  posting  for  buy  sale  but  ratio  of  answers  post  &  buy  sale  are  90%  &  10%  respectively.  

I  am  agreed  with  DJ,  something  need  to  do  to  stop  such  members.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Site Chatter All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: