117. Guest
118. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,866

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anay
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:07 pm Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

I'm  definitely  in  for  a  meet/collection  trip!  Very Happy  
 Pune  members  are  increasing  in  number,  would  be  fun  to  meet
 lets  decide  on  a  date  and  venue
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

..15th  sounds  good  to  me,  but  a  weekend  is  even  better..
 Anay:  nice  to  see  you  here...
 Cheers,

PS:  we  should  start  a  thread  with  the  heading  PUNE  MEET  or  something  for  this...would  be  better..
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:24 pm Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

demorphica  wrote  (View  Post):                

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                

i  really  like  turtles  and  snails,  but  turtles  being  illegal,  the  dream  stops  right  there.                  

Keeping  native  turtles  is  illegal.  Keeping  imported  non  native  ones  are  not.  You  could  think  of  keeping  ones  like  the  red  eared  sliders.
 And  fulfill  your  dream.  Smile                

Cheer  Thanks  trevor,  any  idea  where  these  can  be  found  in  pune  /mumbai  ??                

Check  this  post

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6799&sid=9105d01a0a1807bb8326f9e0672b9a34
demorphica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:23 pm Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

Nanu,  anay,  ohmm,  rohan  :

The  idea  of  a  meet  up  is  way  good  !  Cheer  
 we  could  say  to  each  other  many  more  things  than  can  be  said  in  typed  words....  Chuckle  

and  later  on...  we  would  know  whom  to  turn  to  when  somebody  needs  a  new  home  for  a  fish  in  an  overcrowded  tank,  and  also  ...  those  prunings  will  never  go  waste  again.

And  organizing  trips  to  places  will  be  just  a  beginning  ...

hope  to  hear  from  you  guys  soon!     Thumb Up  

Well  ...

Here  goes  the  plunge.  I  am  setting  up  (finally!)  an  nano  10"x10"x10"  tank  for  myself.  It  will  use  the  Diana  Walstad  method,  and  as  Madan  suggested,  CO2  injection.  I  will  use  a  DIY  yeast  CO2  injector.

It's  going  to  be  DIY  all  the  way,  including  the  tank  !!

I  will  document  each  step  of  the  setup,  including  all  names  and  addresses  of  suppliers  and  prices  of  products,  as  i  do  it,  so  i  can  get  your  feedback  if  i'm  doing  any  major  wrong  thing,  and  also  so  that  later  on,  when  a  newbie  like  me  want  to  do  this,  they  may  learn  from  my  mistakes....

I  will  be  taking  pictures  from  my  Nokia  6233,  it  has  only  a  2  MP  camera,  but  the  photos  are  good  when  taken  with  good  ambient  lighting.  If  the  pics  suck,  i'm  sorry...  

Mods,  if  any  of  this  seems  inappropriate  to  you,  please  let  me  know  

Let's  see  if  it  is  a  success  or  a  failure  ....
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:06 pm Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

It  will  use  the  Diana  Walstad  method,  and  as  Madan  suggested,  CO2  injection.  I  will  use  a  DIY  yeast  CO2  injector.

arent  u  mixing  up  two  theories  again?Smile
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:56 pm Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

I  have  not  even  remotely  suggested  Diana  Walstad's  method  uses  DIY  or  any  kind  of  CO2.

Diana  Walstad  Method  :  Use  garden  soil  as  substrate  and  fish  food  as  a  source  of  all  plant  nutrients.  Incandescent  light  for  lighting  1  watt  or  less  per  gallon,  probably  1-2  mugs  water  change  a  month  for  a  say  10  gallon  tank,  or  only  top  off  evaporated  water.  Less  than  or  about  10%  water  change  once  in  three  months  or  there  abouts,  low  fish  load,  no  cleaning  of  the  filter  until  flow  almost  stops,  mulm  build  up  is  essential  in  the  substrate,  heck  I  need  to  re  read  Ecology  of  the  Planted  Aquarium,  it's  been  a  while.

DIY  CO2  pushed  in  somewhere  into  all  this  makes  it  ineligible  to  be  called  Diana  Walstad's  method.  Same  goes  for  weekly  30%  water  change  and  so  on.

Please  read  the  book  again  and  don't  call  it  Diana  Walstad's  method  if  you  deviate  from  what  is  clearly  stated  there.  You  are  mixing  up  on  different  methods  and  you  will  have  a  problem  that  no  one  can  help  out  with  once  your  aquarium  is  setup.
demorphica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:18 am Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

rohan,  Madan:

Point  well  taken.  

Actually  Madan,  I  was  talking  about  your  post  earlier  in  this  thread,  when  you  said  that  DIY  CO2  for  a  High  Tech  Tank  is  a  BAD  IDEA.  You  also  mentioned  that  i  had  two  choices,  either  a  High  Tech  method  with  MH,  CO2,  or  one  with  low  growth  +  no  CO2  +  low  lighting.

I'm  glad  you  dropped  in  to  correct  me.  It  is  no  CO2  for  this  tank.  The  little  fishies  will  thank  you  too  later....   Smile  

I  will  re-read  Ecology  of  the  Planted  Aquarium  too  tonight.  I  think  i  am  mixed  up  with  the  past  two  months  of  research.  I  need  to  get  my  bearings  right.
demorphica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:59 am Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

Please  follow  these  directions  at  your  own  risk.  I  do  not  guarantee  results.  Results  are  a  consequence  of  your  skill,  patience  and  effort.

Ok,  here  goes  guys:

I  bought  Glass:   10"x10"  6  mm  -  3  sheets
                                     10"x9.5"  6  mm  -2  sheets

This  makes  up  the  5  sides  of  the  aquarium.  The  reason  why  two  sheets  are  not  a  perfect  square  is  that  I  am  going  to  sandwich  these  sheets  in  between  the  10"x10"  ones  ....  like  this:

so..  the  two  side  sheets  (colored  yellow  in  image)  will  have  to  be  6mm  +  6mm  =  12  mm  smaller  in  width,  since  glass  thickness  is  6mm.  12mm  is  approximately  half  an  inch,  hence  the  9.5"  width  ...

The  glass

I  got  building  directions  from  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=26&page=1

please  visit  this  link  for  help  .  Have  at  least  one  person  ready  to  help  you.  If  you  are  making  a  larger  tank  with  heavier  /  more  bulky  glass  sheets,  make  sure  you  have  at  least  three  people  to  help  you.

Points  to  note  (refer  to  link  above  before  attempting  anything):  

1.The  silicone  i  used  sets  VERY  QUICKLY.  you  have  less  than  5-7  minutes  to  lay  out  the  sealant  on  the  edges  of  the  glass  sheets  and  smoothen  it  into  an  arc,  if  you  take  up  too  much  time,  the  bead  will  harden  to  a  point  where  you  cannot  shape  it  anymore.  Addition  of  fresh  silicone  to  parts  where  you  felt  you  had  added  too  less  will,  in  my  experience,  not  help  much.

2.  Venket's  tank  (refer  to  link  above),  was  made  by  professionals.  These  guys  work  quickly.  Therefore,  if  you  are  making  your  own  tank  yourself,  do  not  lay  out  the  silicone  bead  on  all  four  edges  of  the  base  sheet.  It  will  harden  very  quickly,  and  later  on  you  will  have  problems  trying  to  smoothen  it  out.  Instead  lay  the  bead  on  the  base  sheet  and  back  sheet,  align  them  and  smoothen  the  bead.  (you  need  a  helper  with  a  steady  hand),  and  then  proceed  with  the  other  sheets.

Addresses:

Glass:  Ali  Asgar  Glass,
               1620,  Shaniwar  Peth,
               Pune

Prices:  10"x10"  -  3  sheets  +  10"x9.5"  -  2  sheets,  Grinding  polish  on  the  edges  (Powder  polish  will  be  better...)  =  INR  250.00

Silicone  +  Silicone  gun  +  nozzle  +  1  spare  nozzle:  Keshavlal  Popatlal
                                                                                                            Bohri  Ali,  Shaniwar  peth,
                                                                                                            Pune
 Prices:  Gun  (no  make  mentioned  on  body)-  INR  120.00,  Silicone  (Dow  Corning,  tell  the  supplier  you  want  to  build  an  aquaium):  INR  150.00  (  a  lot  will  be  left  over  ...),  nozzle:  INR  10.00

Last edited by demorphica on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:54 am; edited 3 times in total
demorphica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:21 am Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

Preparation:

1.  Cut  the  nozzle  so  that  you  get  a  5  -  6  mm  bead  of  silicone.

2.  Puncture  the  cap  of  the  sealant  bottle,  screw  on  the  nozzle.

3.  Mount  the  sealant  bottle  into  the  gun.

4.  Clean  the  glass  with  a  damp  newspaper.  DO  NOT  use  any  detergents.  They  will  kill  your  fish  if  they  get  a  chance.

Tools  of  the  Trade:

Caulk  Gun  (  Silicone  Gun)

Nozzle  

Assembled  caulk  gun

Helper  (in  this  case  my  friend  Atul)

demorphica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:35 am Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

I  will  not  upload  a  whole  lot  of  pictures,  this  will  be  unnecessary,  as  the  method  i  followed  has  already  been  described  elsewhere  in  this  forum.  Please  refer  to  the  link  i've  given  two  posts  ago.  Please  use  the  rear  end  of  a  spoon  instead  of  your  finger  to  smoothen  the  bead  into  an  arc.  The  results  will  be  much  better.

The  finished  result  is  here:  

an  nice  nano  tank.  Not  very  good  workmanship,  but  the  results  will  be  public  once  i  perform  a  leak  test  36  hours  from  now.  

The  supplier  told  me  that  15  hrs  of  curing  time  is  enough,  but  i  am  still  going  to  wait  36  hours  for  good  measure.
demorphica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:50 am Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

A  note  on  glass:

The  glass  we  normally  buy  has  a  very  faint  greenish  tint  to  it.  Look  at  the  edges  and  you  will  see  what  I  mean.The  green  will  be  much  more  apparent.  12mm  thick  glass  of  this  kind  is  around  INR  90.00  per  sq.  foot.  

There  is  another  glass  which  looks  much  better  in  well  lighted  aquaria,  it  goes  by  the  name  of  "Extra  Clear".  and  is  up  to  three  times  as  expensive.  This  glass  has  an  extremely  faint  bluish  tint  to  it  when  viewed  at  the  edge.  It  is  indeed,  extra  clear,  and  the  very  very  faint  blue  will  do  wonders  to  the  appearance  of  an  aquarium.

Comparison  of  prices:

5x2x2  tank  with  12mm  normal  glass:  INR3000.00  approx.  (for  the  glass)
 5x2x2  tank  with  12mm  extra  clear  glass:  almost  INR  9000.00  !
demorphica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:11 am Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

to  the  Administrators:

I  hope  you  will  agree  that  the  thread  should  be  split  from  part  where  the  DIY  part  starts  (  post  dated  :  Wed  Aug  08,  2007  10:23  pm  ),  as  the  thread  topic  changes  from  thereon.  I  should  have  been  more  foresighted,  but  i  guess  i  can  count  on  your  help  ...   Smile
demorphica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:33 am Post subject: Leak Testing Reply with quote

36  Hours  have  passed.  The  silicone  has  cured.  It's  time  to  pass  the  first  milestone  to  success.  

It's  time  to  leak  test  the  tank.

As  you  can  see  by  comparing  the  previous  pictures,  the  tank  is  in  the  same  position  as  36  hours  ago.  It  was  moved  only  slightly  to  check  the  joints  visually.

It's  time  now  to  fill  the  tank  with  water.  I  tried  to  avoid  any  splashes  that  would  make  it  difficult  to  spot  tiny  leaks...  but,  i  was  not  entirely  successful.

Filled  tank:

Close  up  showing  the  rocks  and  small  stones  i  painstakingly  collected  and  tested  for  calcareous  characteristics:

I  had  a  GE  Silicone  IS  8008  ultrafast  setting  RTV  (it  fully  cures  in  15  minutes)  handy,  which  i  use  for  various  other  purposes  with  me.  I  also  kept  a   cutter  for  the  nozzle  nearby,  so  that  i  could  patch  up  any  leaks  that  could  happen.

Bought  earlier  at  the  same  place  in  Bohri  Ali  mentioned  earlier,  Price  INR95.00,  cutter  bought  6  months  back  from  a  huge  (biggest)  stationery  shop  in  Appa  Balwant  Chowk,  for  INR  90.00  (price  is  worth  it  Smile  )

Here  is  a  pic:

There  are  no  leaks  !!!  none  at  all.   Cheering  

So,  in  spite  of  not  very  good  workmanship,  and  despite  having  to  panic  spread  the  silicone  in  the  last  moments  of  construction  due  to  not  knowing  it  would  begin  to  set  so  quickly,  the  result  was  a  fortunate  success.

Now  it's  on  to  the  next  step.  The  substrate....

Any  comments  will  be  gratefully  accepted.  Keep  watching!
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:15 am Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

Great  job  !
 Coming  to  substrate,  being  a  tank  on   Diana  Walstad  's  theory,  you  will  need   red  soil  as  the  major  substrate,  you  could  top  it  up  with  a  some  calcium  free  gravel  to  that  the  red  soil  doesnt  get  into  water  column.

Looking  forward  to  more  updates  on  this  thread.
demorphica
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:53 am Post subject: Re: Help needed by a hardcore DIY newbie Reply with quote

I  hope  all  of  you  are  doing  fine...

Here's  to  the  next  step  of  setting  up  my  tank:  Aquascaping  !

i  have  a  small  collection  of  non  calcareous  stones  and  rocks,  which  i  am  going  to  use  in  my  tank...  I  was  alos  lucky  to  find  a  piece  of  bogwood  suitable  in  size  and  appearance.  I  boiled  it  in  a  large  container  of  water  with  4  tablespoons  of  ordinary  kitchen  salt  to  sterilize  it.  I  then  put  it  in  a  body  of  water  for  two  days  which  i  thought  was  enough  for  a  piece  of  wood  this  small...  voila!  the  wood  is  almost  totally  waterlogged  and  remains  sunk.  for  good  measure,  i've  found  a  way  to  keep  it  sunk  by  wedging  a  stone  in  it.

I  am  posting  a  few  pictures  of  the  tank  with  the  wood  and  rocks..  I  hope  i  get  your  valuable  comments  on  the  way  it  looks...

Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: