147. Guest
148. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,866

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Diseases & Cures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gginish
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:31 am Post subject: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

HI  everybody
 good  day

i  have  a  sudden  out  break  in  my  chiclid  tank  &  all  my  fishes  are  Dying.
 i  already  lost2  pairs  of  girrafe  haps  &  4  pairs  of  yellow  lab  &  red  zebra  &
 only  few  survivours  now-

the  syptoms  are  my  fishes  are  not  eating,  either  floating  towards  the  surface
 of  lying  on  the  gravel  floor  or  hiding  in  the  cave  ,  some  of  them  are  just  swiming  like  tumbling  in  the  water  Crying or Very sad  

this  is  the  2nd  tme  this  happend  first  time  i  lost  1pair  of  Gt  severams  &
 lot  other  fishes  Crying or Very sad  

i  have  quarinined  fw  yellow  lab  n  red  zebra  in   a  small  tank  with  salt  water
 n  fungal  medicine   with  one  capsule  of  tramicin

Please  help  me  urgently...

Best  Regards
 ginish
arupnandi1969
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:50 am Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

Ginish,

Sad!!  But  kindly  provide  the  answers  to  these  questions  before  anyone  can/may  express  an  opinion.  

Where  are  you  from?  What  is  the  tank's  size?  What  is  your  substrate?  What  is  the  size/type/make  of  your  filter?  Do  you  have  temperature  control  inside  your  tank?  How  long  has  your  tank  been  up  and  functioning?  What  is  your  water  change  schedule?  WHat  kind  of  fishes  (beyond  the  generic  description)  do  you  have  in  your  tank?  What  is  their  size?  How  long  have  you  had  them  inside  that  tank?  WHat  do  you  feed  them?  Is  the  incidence  of  death  sudden,  or  was  it  over  a  period  of  time?  Did  death  start  following  a  water  change?

Additional  information  will  help.

Arup
gginish
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:22 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

Hi  Arup.
 Thanks

I  from  Mumbai,  my  tank  size  is  of  36X  18  X12,  I  have  white  gravel  with  crush  sea  shell
 Substrate,   my  tank  is  filtered  on  a  power  filter  (1000lph),   but  I  don’t  have  a  heater,  my  tank  is  in  function  from  almost  3  years  with  cichlids,  but  this  breakthrough  had  happened  a  couple  of  time  b4,  I  have  a  water  change  schedule  of  40%  once  in  a  week

I  have  about  4  pairs  of  red  zebra  cichlid  of   1  1/2”
             2  pairs  of  yellow  labs  
               2  fire  mouth.
  2  pairs  of  giraffe  haps  

Their  death  was  not  sudden  few  of  my  red  zebra  cichlids  started  staying  on  the  surface  
 in  the  corner  of  the  tank  &  try  to  lift  their  body  out  of  water  &  other  settle  on  the  bottom  of  the  tank  like  they  are  tired  &  sleeping.   They  stopped  feeding  I  doubted  that  they  may  be  caring  babies.  But  ysday  few  fishes  started  tumbling  &  all  of  them  where  like  hiding  in  caves   followed  by  death  of  fishes  one  by  one  â€“  I  had  done  e  water  change   abiut  a  waak  back  of  5%,,  I  have  been  feeding  thm  with  pallets  ,  fast  red,  n  chiclid  flakes  â€¦

regards
 ginish
arupnandi1969
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:40 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

Probability  number  1:  You  made  a  small  water  change  a  week  ago.  These  guys  are  very  susceptible  to  nitrates  -  could  it  be  that  there  is  an  excess  of  nitrates  in  the  water?  

Probability  number  2:  Did  you  feed  them  blood  worms  or  any  other  meaty  stuff  day  before  yesterday?
gginish
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:09 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

how  can  i  eliminate  nitrates  -  i  have   moved  them  to  a  quarentine  tank
 i  was  planing  for   completly  breaking  down  my  setup  &  fresh  start  till  they  recoer  in  my  quarantine  tank  of  1  1/2ft,     &  dont  fed  them  any  thing  live   since  i  had  few  fishes  dying  due  to  blot
arupnandi1969
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:07 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

Never  bypass  the  water  change  schedules  in  an  established  tank.  In  case  you  feel  that  you  might  miss  a  schedule,  run  two  to  three  changes  during  the  earlier  week  and  reduce  feeding.

Your  quarantine  tank  is  small,  and  I  am  almost  certain  that  the  nirtogen  cycle  is  not  established.  So  keep  changing  water  at  regular  intervals  (20%  twice  daily.....preferably  store  the  water  in  a  bucket  for  a  aday  and  use  that  the  next  day  to  ensure  that  there  is  no  chlorine  etc)  while  they  are  quarantined.

The  key  to  HAPPY  FISHKEEPING  is  to  do  things  at  regular  intervals.

I  am  sure  they'll  be  fit  and  fine  in  a  week  to  two.
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:16 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

Quote:                
 since  i  had  few  fishes  dying  due  to  blot                  

How  is  bloat  associated  with  live  food?  Unsure  

Nitrate  elimination  is  very  difficult  but  for  a  freshwater  setup,  simple  water  changes  go  a  long  way..  you  could  also  add  a  few  hardy  plants.

Recently  there  has  been  a  series  of  heavy  rains  in  the  city  due  to  which  the  water  temperature  has  taken  a  beating,  1  day  its  close  to  28-29degrees,  and  when  it  rains,  it  goes  down  to  as  much  as  21-22...  this  is  one  of  the  main  reason  fish  suffer,  currently,  even  my  discus  are  having  the  same  trouble;  try  keeping  the  temperature  stable.

If  you  do  not  have  a  heater  or  not  planning  to  get  one,  whenever  it  rains  and  you  feel  the  water's  becoming  cold,  try  installing  an  incandescent  bulb  in  the  tank  to  keep  the  water  'warm'.  Do  not  worry,  even  if  you  keep  it  on  through  the  night,  and  if  members  argue  about  the  fish's  "biological  clock",  it  saves  a  fish  from  contracting  a  lethal  infection\condition.

Keep  updating..
 amod.
shishirkamat
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:27 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

Hi,
 for  a  start  remove  all  the  sand,keep  the  Aquarium  bare  bottom,change  50%  water  daily  and  ensure  that  you  dont  feed  for  the  next  4  days,hopefully  the  fishes  will  improve.
 with  warm  regards
 Shishir  kamat
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:05 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

How  well  is  your  tank  oxygenated,  do  you  have  any  kind  of  aeration  in  there  (as  u  told  fish  hanging  near  the  surface)?  
 For  an  over  crowded  tank  you'll  surely  require  a  chemical  and  biological  filteration  to  cut  out  the  nitrates,  mechanical  powerhead  filter  will  not  do.  Buy  a  top  filter  box(it  can  be  attached  to  a  powerhead)  add  some  bioballs/ceramic  rings  in  it  for  bio  filteration  and  activated  carbon  for  chemical  filteration.  First  of  all  go  ahead  with  water  changes  as  advised  above.  
 The  cichlids  are  the  toughest  fishes  if  given  a  good  water  quality  and  high  quality  food.  
 Many  hobbyists  make  a  mistake  by  feeding  them  specifically  carnivore  cichlid  food(dry  or  frozen),  their  intestines  are  long,  to  digest  herbivore  diet,  fat  from  carnivore  fish  food  can  cause  blockade  of  these  long  intestines  resulting  in  bloat,  then  finally  death.The  cichlids  you  have  are  more  herbivore  than  carnivore,  they  should  be  given  algae  &  spirulina  pellets  and  flakes  &  fresh  veges,  sometimes  given  a  treat  of  tubifex  worms  and  prawns.
 And  Lastly  dont  forget  your  water  change.

Regards  
 Hamza
gginish
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:07 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

hi,Amod.
 i  ve  heard  thar  feeding  tubiflex  &  bllodworm   some  times  block  the  intestine  of  chiclids  
 &  cause  Blot   which  is  difficult  to  cure  ,,  i  have  lost  few  fish   with  the  same  symptoms  as  blot
 &  i  use  to  feed  them  live  food.

BR
 ginish
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:22 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

Hi  Ginish,

A  warm  welcome  to  IAHians  gang.  Very Happy  

Quote:                
My  tank  is  filtered  on  a  power  filter  (1000lph)                
Top  Filter  will  do  the  better  job,  as  these  filter  have  enough  emplty  space  for  filter  media,  such  as  bio  balls,  ceramic  rings,  activated  carbon,  zeolite  etc

There  are  different  kinds  of  filter  media  available  to  control  nitrate,  ammonia  etc

Quote:                
I  don’t  have  a  heater,  my  tank  is  in  function  from  almost  3  years  with  cichlids,  but  this  breakthrough  had  happened  a  couple  of  time  b4,  I  have  a  water  change  schedule  of  40%  once  in  a  week                
Get  a  good  quality  heater  or  do  as  Amod  suggested.  Frequent  temperature  changes  are  bad  for  any  living  creatures.  This  could  also  be  a  reason  for  the  death  of  your  filshes.

20%  water  changes  on  daily  basis  is  very  good  in  fresh  water  aqua  hobby  using  anti  chlorine  medicine.  Thumb Up
gginish
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:48 am Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

hi  every  body  
 thanks  for  your  suggestions  

but  i  think  i  was  too  late  ,  lost  almost  allmy  fish  the  last  2  survivors  mt  2  firmouth  too  died  their  eyed  turned  milky  &  body  turned  dark

so  iam  planing  for  a  fresh  start  up--
 please  give  me  some   good  advise  for  avoiding  such  disaster..

Initial  Stage:
 the  symptoms  i  seen  are
 floating  &  laying  on  surface  
 avoiding  food
 breathing  heavy  &  iregular  swiing  pattern
 hiding  in  caves  

final  statge:
 Tumbling  in  water
 edges  of  fins  rot
 color  tuning  pale  
 Eyes  turn  milky

also  please  let  me  know  for  active  carbon  ,  does  these  mean  i  can  keep  coal  in  y  filter??

please  let  me  know  is  there  any  DIy  options  for  Ceramic  rings,  bioballs,  active  carbon

Thanks  n  Regards
 Ginish
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:22 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

This  link  will  provide  you  the  idea  of  DIY  Top  Filter  I  made,  it'll  cost  you  less  than  Rs100  to  make  one.  
 I  think  there  is  no  alternative  to  activated  carbon(cant  use  coal,  it  is  a  different  thing)  it  is  cheap,  here  in  Hyd  a  kg  will  cost  you  around  Rs  80-120,  this  can  be  used  for  more  than  6  months  for  your  tank  size.  For  the  bio  filteration  you  can  use  brick  broken  into  small  pieces  instead  of  ceramic  rings/bio  balls,  it  is  porous,  good  for  bio  filteration.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:18 pm Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

This  looks  like  incomplete  nitrogen  cycle  or  it  can  be  cholrine  poisioning.
 Do  you  see  any  red  patches  ,  burns  on  body  of  fishes.  If  yes  it  can  be  ammonia  poisioning.  Ammonia  burns  the  gills  of  fishes  and  hence  they  breathe  heavily.
 It  can  also  be  cholrine  poisioning,  do  you  use  a  decholrinator.  
 Temp  vairance  does  cause  problems  but  these  symptoms  lookmore  like  bad  water  quality  problem.
 For  future  buy  a  ammonia  test  kit.  you  can  also  use  Nessler's  reagent,  for  a  Rs.  100   you  can  do  more  than  10000  tests
 Regular  water  changes  are  very  essential  for  healthy  fish,  however  do  not  change  more  than  25%  of  water.
 I  am  not  very  sure  about  this  but,  your  tank  tank  looks  overstocked  to  me,  and  that  might  have  contributed  to  upset  ammonia  cycle.
 After  reading  you  last  mail,  the  cahnces  of  ammonia  poisioning  are  very  heavy.
gginish
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:08 am Post subject: Re: UREntly NEed HELP!!!! all my chiclids are dying Reply with quote

hi  

the  synptoms  were  some  waht  like  ammonia  or  clorine  
 they  had  red  marks  on  nose  n  gills,  also  breating  heavy

can  bio  filter  controll  amonia  pike  ----???

thanks  n  regards
 ginish
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Diseases & Cures All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: