182. Guest
183. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,716

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Site Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surya_niki
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:28 pm Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

HI  Gatrox,

I  still  find  your  posts  amusing!  

I  just  think  that  all  the  members  have  been  kind  and  patient  enough  to  listen  to  your  comments.  If  you  dont  like  the  way  this  forum  is,  than  you  are  not  forced  to  stay  here.

I  just  feel  so  held  back  with  my   langauge  and  request  you  not  to  test  mine  and  anyones  patients  here.

Regards,
 Surya
nikitanain
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:57 pm Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

can  anyone  explain  the  following  things??

1)  why  would  anyone  be  scared  of  a  reputation  system..  this  is  a  forum  just  to  talk  about  fish  rite  or  does  all  this  come  on  to  our  resume  Wink  (kidding)

2)  why  does  red  devil  have  a  problem  with  everyone

3)  why  the  use  of  fowl  language...  (  i  have  got  bugged  too,  but  never  used  swear  words,  mind  u)

anyways  Smile  peace
scorpiopereira
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:29 pm Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

what  gatorX   said...instead  of  banning  him  or  editing  his  posts...am  sure  the  admins  would  never  think  of  improvin  on  it  rather  they  and  their  band  of  army  would  get  back  to  attack....hes  got  a  point  theree.....why  the  hell  do  all  just  compare  iah  to  other  sites...its  because  they  want  it  2  b  on  par  with  the  others....quality  is  low  here...and  the  admins  luv  double  standards  to  the  tilt...i  know  u  wont  like  this....but  its  a  FACT........seems  like  IAH  has  all  the  essence  of  traditional  indian  politics...favouritism...ass  licking....and  groupism  mixed  in  one  pot...worse  is  the  admins  would  not  like  it  being  reminded  to  them...am  sure  after  this  thing...either  this  post  would  b  locked..guys  like  gatorX  banned......sum  more  of  the  so  called  GOOD  GUYS  replying.......but  the  real  issue  will  never  b  sorted  out!!!  if  u  think  IAH  is  on  the  rite  path......then  check  your  eyes
nimmat
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:11 am Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

Sreesanth,
 I  would  disagree  on  a  few  points.  Quality  of  IAH  is  not  all  that  bad  but  its  the  quality  of  the  Hobby  as  such  in  India  that  is  pretty  bad  as  compared  to  international  market.  Restrictions  on  equipment  availibility,  live  stocks,  facilities,  Local  fosh  store  advice  &  quality,  Online  shopping  &  above  all,  lack  of  quarentine  facilities  by  traders  are  the  reasons  why  the  hobby  is  still  primitive  in  India.  Comparing  IAH  to  any  other  forum  (I  suspect  we  are  talking  international  forums  here...)  where  people  have  the  ability  to  buy  stuff  online  allows  the  hobby  to  take  up  a  much  bigger  picture.  

Eg.  How  many  shops  do  you  assume  would  there  be  in  the  UK?  The  size  of  MP  and  population  of  Delhi  +  Mumbai  (dont  quote  me  over  it,  UK  is  65  million).  There  are  over  500  local  shops  in  the  UK  plus  another  300-400  online  dedicated  stores.  Does  any  one  have  an  idea  how  many  shops  are  there  in  the  Major  cities  of  India?  Or  in  total  India?

I  have  had  the  privelage  of  having  my  hobby  for  a  good  10  yrs  in  India  and  the  kast  7  yrs  in  the  UK  and  the  difference  is  clearly  visible.  I  think  Nikhil  Sood  from  Glasgow  may  agree  with  me  but  since  I  have  not  seen  the  hobby  in  India  for  the  last  10  years  so  I  am  be  a  bit  inaccurate.

The  forum  needs  members  and  there  just  are  not  enough.  I  think  IAH  is  the  only  Indian  forum???  Apart  from  the  Aquarist  society  of  Karnataka  yahoo  group  (which  I  have  been  a  member  of  for  a  long  time)  but  there  just  is  not  enough  traffic  in  either  places...  despite  the  fact  IAH  is  dedicated  to  an  entire  country  alone.  

In  the  UK,  the  local  magazine  "Practical  fish  keeping"  is  probably  responsible  for  promotion  of  the  majority  of  the  hobby  as  it  becomes  a  very  volatile  medium  of  information  distribution  and  advises  the  readers  of  what  is  available  here  and  also  does  reviews  on  various  products  on  paper.  It  also  helps  here  that  almost  every  shop  in  the  country  is  approachable  by  road  and  the  kit  stocking  is  enormous.  

I  will  complete  this  later  as  my  wife  is  calling  me  to  go  for  shopping  Â Sad  Â Crying or Very sad  

Just  think  about  it..

Nim

Last edited by nimmat on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
scorpiopereira
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:17 am Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

my  name  isnt  sreesanth  plzz..thtz  name  of  a  cricketer
scorpiopereira
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:23 am Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

thought  a  lot......and  wht  i  said  above  is  after  a  lot  of  thinking......am  not  interested  in  wasting  my  time  bragging  abt  sum  site  that  loves  groupism  or  loves  to  just  ask  new  comers  to  search  for  old  posts  rather  than  helping  them  out  time  and  again!!  they  shud  now  discourage  new  users  joining  and  shud  put  one  notice  saying....NO  MORE  USERS  ACCEPTED,,,FOR  ANY  PROBS  REGARDING  AQUARIUMS  AND  STUFF  THT  LIVE  IN  IT...JUST  SEARCH  THROUGH  THE  OLD  POSTS  INSTEAD  OF  WASTIN  your  TIME  JOINING!!!
GatorX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:30 am Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

I  agree  with  scorpio...  The  way  the  new  users  are  treated  is  disgraceful..  They  would  prob  never  come  back  here  again...  If  you  guys  are  too  lazy  to  give  some  help..  Then  don't   waste  your  energy  saying  search  through  the  old  posts...   Look  at  each  thread...most  of  them  have  always  gone  off  topic..  Learn  to  stick  to  the  main  topic...  not  go  and  chat  and  bash  others  up...
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:43 am Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

Quote:                
seems  like  IAH  has  all  the  essence  of  traditional  indian  politics...favouritism...ass  licking....and  groupism  mixed  in  one  pot...                

@Scorpio:  Where  were  you  when  these  nasty  stuffs  were  happening  in  the  forum????  Why  didn't  you  said  right  upfront  when  you  saw  them  earlier.  If  your  answer  is  "  Just  gave  a  damn  to  it"  then  keep  quite  this  time  also.  There  is  no  point  fuming  in  a  wrong  place  at  wrong  time.

I  saw  everytime  when  something  has  gone  wrong,  a  set  of  guys  jumps  in  and  start  making  life  hell.  You  all  are  there  to  give  a  damn  to  IAH.  Then  why  you  are  here  for  last  2years  and  spoiling  your  life.  It's  really  easy  to  fume  on  others,  but  put  your  feet  into  those  guys  shoes  who  all  are  spending  their  time  to  keep  it  running.  And  we  don't  have  any  rights  to  compare  the  site  with  any  international  sites,  you  can  understand  it  very  well  reading  Nims  post.  We  are  living  in  such  a  country  where  90%  of  the  LFS  running  their  business  without  any  knowledge  and  milking  customers  and  you  are  dreaming  about  international  quality.  If  you  have  ideas,  feel  free  to  share  it  in  a  proper  manner.  Attacking  Mods  is  not  the  way  to  get  the  solution.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:46 am Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

Quote:                
what  gatorX   said...instead  of  banning  him  or  editing  his  posts...                

Post  of  GatorX  has  been  edited  for  the  foul  languages....  not  for  the  subject  he  is  talking  about.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:58 am Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

scorpiopereira  wrote  (View  Post):                
am  sure  the  admins  would  never  think  of  improvin  on  it  rather  they  and  their  band  of  army  would  get  back  to  attack

Improve  it  how?  Everyone  is  talking  about  how  bad  "IT"  is.  What  is  "IT"?
 Is  "IT"  a  bunch  of  issues  or  a  single  defining  moment  when  you  and  Weylin  decided  IAH  is  not  that  great?
 p.s.  Does  anyone  see  a  parallel  to  Indian  politics  here,  where  everyone  knows  "IT"  has  to  be  fixed?  Smile

Quote:                

quality  is  low  here...

How  exactly  is  the  quality  low  here?  In  what  way  did  you  measure  the  quality  of  posts  on  a  forum?

Quote:                

and  the  admins  luv  double  standards  to  the  tilt...i  know  u  wont  like  this....but  its  a  FACT........seems  like  IAH  has  all  the  essence  of  traditional  indian  politics...favouritism...ass  licking....and  groupism  mixed  in  one  pot...worse  is  the  admins  would  not  like  it  being  reminded  to  them...am  sure  after  this  thing...either  this  post  would  b  locked..guys  like  gatorX  banned......

This  happens  on  each  and  every  site.  Admins  apparently  are  human  too  Smile
 They  will  always  show  partiality  towards  their  friends  and  people  they  know.  And  this  is  IAH,  Everyone  knows  each  other.  

A  stunt  like  the  one  Weylin  pulled  -  posting  rude  replies  in  other's  threads  -  would  have  probably  got  him  banned  on  most  sites.

Here,  the  rude  posts  get  edited  and  he  gets  a  pat  on  the  hand  from  the  Mods.  Look  at  the  thread  so  far.  The  members  are  the  ones  defending  IAH,  and  quite  a  few  are  new  members.

Quote:                

but  the  real  issue  will  never  b  sorted  out!!!  if  u  think  IAH  is  on  the  rite  path......

What  is  the  real  issue  so  far?  I  haven't  had  a  glimpse  of  it  yet.  Weylin  was  acting  weird  on  Monday  night,  for  what  reason  I  have  no  idea.  He  started  making  rude  replies  to  other  people  in  their  threads.

Quote:                
then  check  your  eyes                

I  think  I'll  have  to  get  them  checked  now,  after  reading  through  this  post.  
 No  formatting,  No  sentences  -  Man  ,  I  had  a  hard  time  deciphering  it  Smile

Last edited by psimhan on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
channidae
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:11 am Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

Quote:                
Hello  Folks,  

I  wonder  why   51.09%  (94)  of  IAH  members  who  voted  are  scared  of   User  Reputation  System.  Can  you  guys  who  voted  "Very  Scared"  explain  your  reasons  ?  Thanks.                

Deliberately  side  stepping  the  much  stretched  and  off-topic  discussions,  would  like  to  come  back  to  the  original  purpose  of  this  thread  strarted  by  Ravi.  I  personally  feel  that  the  reason  why  51.09%  (now  57.05%)  of  the  respondents  have  polled  as  "very  scared"  is  due  to  the  basic  concern  about  an  assessment  concept  without  knowing  the  parameters.  Though,  do  understand  the  reasons  for  not  stating  the  reasons  to  avoid  misuse  and  contradict  the  very  reason  for  this  approach.  Guess,  it  stems  from  the  basic  human  reaction  of  concern  when  someone  does  not  know  enough  about  a  process/  concept  that  directly  or  indirectly  impacts  us.  

Whether  its  effective....  well,  all  depends  on  how  seriously  we  all  take  it...

....  And  dont  want  to  come  across  as  self  righteous  or  a  self  appointed  moralist,  but  lets  end  the  earlier  discussions  once  and  for  all  since  there  is  no  further  value  that  can  come  now  from  it...   Sad
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:28 am Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

Dear  new  members,  Please  use  the  search  facility  to  look  up  your  required  subject.  
 Most  probably  it  will  be  in  old  posts.  
 That  is  exactly  the  same  way  you  use  Google.  
 Type  the  right  or  connected  word  in  the  box  next  to  'Search  for'.
 Sorry  for  sounding  rude  but  this  is  just  to  stop  ourselves  from  repeating  ourselves.  I  think  that  is  the  same  way  all  search  engines  work.  They  do  not  give  you  fresh  information  every  time  you  search.

If  you  find  it  difficult  then  you  can  call  me  on  my  mobile.  I  will  help  24/7.  Just  give  it  a  try.  Thumb Up

We  never  ban  anyone.  Nor  do  we  delete  any  post.  Edit  for  foul  language  which  is  rare,  Yes.
 We  will  and  should  try  to  meet  each  other  face  to  face  and  person  to  person  to  help  solve  the  genuine  problems  of  Indian  aquarists.
 I  think  I  speak  for  most  of  our  Bangalore  aquarist  community  especially  ASK  members  when  I  say  that  that  you  are  welcome  to  visit  us  at  our  residence,  check  our  lousy  tanks  and  and  then  judge  us  for  what  we  are.
 None  of  us  are  very  far  from  each  other.

User  reputation  system.
 I  came  to  know  of  this  site  from  friends.  I  joined  IAH  like  you  as  an  newbie.  As  an  Administrator  now  I  cannot  award  points  to  myself.  I  have  to  get  it  it  from  the  members.  I  have  to  say  our  members  are  very  miserly  in  awarding  points.  Chuckle
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:35 am Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                
 I  have  to  say  our  members  are  very  miserly  in  awarding  points.  Chuckle                

Poor  ,  Poor  ,  Trevor.  
 Only  103.3  rep  points  and  One  BIG  Yellow  star  Smile
 Have  one  from  my  side  Smile
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:03 pm Post subject: Re: Are you scared of the new User Reputation System ? Reply with quote

I  know  that  there  are  few  things  that  I  want  from  this  forum  and  I  get  most  of  it  here.

I  have  been  hugely  benefitted  in  my  journey  from  a  novice  to  an  intermidiate  aquarist.  I  have  come  to  know  a  lot  of  people  all  across  India  and  few  from  foreign  thru  this  forum.  I  have  been  patiently  listened  to  and  given  right  and  honest  advice  many  many  times.

At  the  same  time,  there  are  few  things  that  I  want  from  this  forum  that  I  am  currently  not  getting.  Some  of  them  would  be  -  I  want  more  contribution  from  all  members  in  terms  of  posts  with  relevant  and  correct  information  on   topics,  I  want  a  topic  to  stay  in  its  core  and  not  get  diverted.  I  have  been  seeing  a  lot  of  our  members  to  post  with  out  adequate  research,  knowledge  and  respect  for  the  hobby  and  members.

But  at  the  same  time,  I  know  that  it  takes  time  to  rectify  and  strengthen  our  weaknesses.  So,  instead  of  loosing  patience,  I  look  at  the  bright  side  which  is  much  much  more  than  the  negetive  ones.

Where  will  we  get  a  fish  keeping  related  purely  Indian  forum  in  the  world  other  tahn  our  own  IAH?

I  sincerely  thank  and  respect  all  the  admins  and  moderators  for  the  hard  work  that  they  put  in  just  to  give  back  some  thing  to  the  hobby.

Cheers,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Site Chatter All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: